Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Silver Dollar City TR

Silver Dollar City TR

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
9/29/13 at
11:56:59 AM

Branson Missouri has been on my bucket list for quite some time. Being that It's so far away from home and off the beaten path, I've never had a chance to visit. Last year we did a midwest trip which included SF St. Louis and Worlds of Fun, but elected to head north from Kansas City, to Valleyfair. With meetings in Paducah KY all week and the addition of Outlaw Run, I finally made my first visit to Silver Dollar City.

I stayed at Motel 6 in Branson. I woke early Friday morning and headed for the park at 8:15. I passed the closed Celebration City. Ozark Wildcat, a GCI woodie, looked like a great coaster. Too bad this park is closed. I would have really liked to visit. I guess there is no hope of that park ever reopening.

I arrived at Silver Dollar City at 8:25 and parked in a free parking lot. The tram was waiting to take guests to the front entrance. On the tram ride I could already tell that this was going to be a great experience. SDC is set in one of the most beautiful places that I ever seen, in the Ozark Mountains. I purchased my ticket for $63 and entered the park. Once again I could already tell that SDC is unique and a real gem.

I ate breakfast at a buffet for about $12 and was really good. I still had 45 minutes until the rope drop. Now SDC has shows and crafts like a lot of parks. The difference is they have the craft booths right on the midway throughout the entire park. Most of the shows are in open areas along the midways. You can see and hear a show as you are walking by. SDC takes great pride in their shows and crafts and it shows. They are far superior in those aspects to any other park that I've been too. The park really tries to involve the crowd in their shows and crafts. Right before the rope drop they asked all veterans to come forward. They played patriot music as the veterans marched to the flag pole. That was one of the coolest things that I've ever seen at a park. It brought goose bumps to my skin. What a great tribute.

After the rope drop I ran down the mountain to Outlaw Run. I got first train of the day in the very back seat. Now I'm going to give an Outlaw Run analogy that none of you probably heard. Outlaw Run is the wooden coaster form of Skyrush at Hershey. The first drop in incredible and really tries to dump you out. The turn that follows and the over banked turn that follows are very smooth and eloquently done. Then it is a mix of ejector air and body flailing laterals throughout the entire ride. There isn't a foot of strait track and the elements are brilliantly placed. The coaster maintains a high rate of speed through the entire ride. The 2 inversions are smooth and visually amazing. The 2nd inversion is better because you go through it slower, which creates air time. The coaster is super smooth, but it still has that wooden coaster feel to it. Outlaw Run is very extreme, but in the way we coaster enthusiasts love. My only complaint is that the ride is way too short, just like Skyrush. The restraints are lap bars, but have shin guards, which are little uncomfortable. Those restraints are necessary. Outlaw Run will throw you body around in an extreme way, just like Skyrush. All in all I would rank Outlaw Run as my 2nd favorite wooden coaster, with only El Toro besting it. Overall Outlaw Run is my 4th favorite coaster wood or steel. With the park being very uncrowded, I managed 15 rides on Outlaw Run, most were in the back seat. The back is the best. I rode the front twice. The front isn't nearly as extreme as the back. Outlaw Run is worth the trip alone.

Next I went over to Powder Keg, an unique S&S launch coaster. I rode the back first and wasn't that impressed. Later on I rode the front 3 times and was impressed. It's very different than anything that I've ridden. It has some pops of air at times and the launch is decent. All the coasters at SDC are terrain coasters, due to the location of the park. I really liked my front seat rides and at the end of the day Powder Keg exceeded my expectations.

Next up was Wildfire. This ended up being my 300th coaster. Wildlife is B&M sit down Looper. I rode the front once and the back twice. Once again, I was really impressed with this coaster. It's been a long while since I've ridden Kumba at BG Tampa, but Wildfire ranks right up there with it. In fact I enjoyed Wildfire more, because of the terrain and setting. The ride isn't very long, but is action packed from start to finish. This is another B&M masterpiece. I'm actually glad I made it my 300th. Wildfire is what first sparked my interest in SDC, 10 years ago. Once again my expectations were exceeded. I did like the back seat much better than the front.

Next I rode front seat of Fire in the Hole. It's a powdered coaster almost identical to Dollywood's Blazing Fury. It's a neat ride and more of a dark ride than a rollercoaster. The last coaster is called Thunderation and its an Arrow Mine Ride. Like I said all coasters are terrain coasters and Thunderation is no different. It reminded me of Adventure Express at Kings Island, only much better. This may be the best mine ride out there. You drop out the station and continue to pick up speed as you maneuver down the mountain. The lift hill is near the end of the ride. I only rode it once in the front seat. I meant to come back to it later on, but ran out of time.

I did The Flooded Mine, which is a dark boat ride. The ride looks like a classic dark ride, but has the modern shoot em up technology in it. Flooded Mine is a must do. This is a great dark ride. Really glad I got to ride it. I also rode the the train. The train at SDC takes you around the park and into the mountains. They stop the train while in the mountains and put on a very clever show. This is another great attraction at SDC. I did ride the Barn Swing, a S&S extreme swing and their Disc O.

On the way out I debated the Marvel Cave. I really wanted to do this, but I'm very closturphobic. I chose not to do it, and that was probably the right choice for me. I don't think that I would have enjoyed the experience. I think I would have experienced more anxiety than anything. Maybe next time.

All in all I loved SDC. It's the best park in Missouri, and that's coming from someone who loves SF St. Louis and Worlds of Fun. I now have 3 wooden coaster in my top 10 that are located in Missouri. Dollywood is probably a better park than SDC, in terms of a world class destination. SDC has character, and an unique atmosphere. I actually like SDC much more than Dollywood and would describe SDC as a combination of Dollywood and Busch Gardens Europe. I had a great experience and can't wait to go back. I do fear it may be a while before I get back out that way. Really glad I finally made it to SDC. Just a true gem in the amusement park industry.

Thanks for reading,
Ken

Re: Silver Dollar City TR by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/29/13 4:44:20 PM
Wow! After that review of Outlaw Run, I really need to get out there soon!!! The wooden version of skyrush!!!
Dion
Re: Silver Dollar City TR by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/29/13 5:24:57 PM
chitlins73 said:

Wow! After that review of Outlaw Run, I really need to get out there soon!!! The wooden version of skyrush!!!

I think you will still like The Voyage much better. Outlaw Run has that El Toro type air time with laterals more extreme than The Legend. Outlaw Run is a very short ride, but there is a ton a action packed into that short ride. It really did remind me of Skyrush. There is even a moment where your body is being throw to left, then to the right in one motion. I actually had to ride Outlaw Run a couple times, before I would put my hands up throughout the entire ride.

* This post was modified at 9/29/13 5:29:54 PM *

Re: Silver Dollar City TR by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/30/13 11:33:14 AM
Outlaw Run is the wood version of SkyRush?

C'mon Ken, you're supposed to make me WANT to ride it...;)

Great report..I'd love to make it out there and to the other Missouri parks.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Silver Dollar City TR by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/30/13 12:11:46 PM
beastmaster said:

Outlaw Run is the wood version of SkyRush?

C'mon Ken, you're supposed to make me WANT to ride it...;)

Great report..I'd love to make it out there and to the other Missouri parks.

Thanks Mike. Missouri has 3 great parks with some of the best wooden coasters in the country. I would highly recommend a coaster trip of Missouri. The problem is that it is so far away. From Pittsburgh SF St. Louis is 10 hours, Worlds of Fun is 14 hours, and Silver Dollar City is 13 1/2 hours. Add 5 1/2 hours to those times for New Jersey residents.

Re: Silver Dollar City TR by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/30/13 12:28:47 PM
Yeah, that's a hike. I just found out I'll be in Western PA for a wedding next June, so if finances and circumstances permit, I could use that as a jumping off point.
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Silver Dollar City TR by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/30/13 2:08:21 PM
frontrow said:
Next up was Wildfire. This ended up being my 300th coaster. Wildlife is B&M sit down Looper. I rode the front once and the back twice. Once again, I was really impressed with this coaster. It's been a long while since I've ridden Kumba at BG Tampa, but Wildfire ranks right up there with it. In fact I enjoyed Wildfire more, because of the terrain and setting. The ride isn't very long, but is action packed from start to finish. This is another B&M masterpiece. I'm actually glad I made it my 300th. Wildfire is what first sparked my interest in SDC, 10 years ago. Once again my expectations were exceeded. I did like the back seat much better than the front.

On the way out I debated the Marvel Cave. I really wanted to do this, but I'm very claustrophobic. I chose not to do it, and that was probably the right choice for me. I don't think that I would have enjoyed the experience. I think I would have experienced more anxiety than anything.

Thanks Ken for a great TR. I have to throw in here that the visuals from the front seat of Wildfire IMO are unmatched by that on any coaster in any park.

Otherwise your assessment of the park in general pretty much matched our own. We visited SDC during the bluegrass festival and Dollywood during the Festival of Nations and I'd recommend either of these events to anyone who enjoys "atmosphere"... and we are not even country fans!

We too had to pass on the cave tour also due to physical limitations. Probably would have been interesting though. And I understand what you might have experienced in there. Probably not unlike what I feel on Windseeker (and this from a guy who loves drop towers).

BTW did you know that URC's own SirWillow was one of the robbers on the train ride? I don't know if he's still doing that, but I believe he still works in the park.

Re: Silver Dollar City TR by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/30/13 3:58:35 PM
I was aware that Sir Willow works at SDC and works in the train attraction. I never had the pleasure of meeting him, so I don't know if he was working. Maybe he will chime in later
Re: Silver Dollar City TR by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/30/13 5:22:11 PM
RobLec said:

We too had to pass on the cave tour also due to physical limitations. Probably would have been interesting though. And I understand what you might have experienced in there. Probably not unlike what I feel on Windseeker (and this from a guy who loves drop towers).

BTW did you know that URC's own SirWillow was one of the robbers on the train ride? I don't know if he's still doing that, but I believe he still works in the park.

I may have beat my physical limitations by a year or two, as I recall thinking after exiting Marvel Cave that I was glad it wasn't any more...so. But it was quite the place. Thank goodness they have that funky cable-drawn "train" at the end.

SirWillow (George) was playing one of the two "dumb brother" robbers on my visit (back in June). He played the smarter of the two...and was excellent (both were). I believe the crew of the train ride regularly switch roles; not just the robbers.

Mike B.
Re: Silver Dollar City TR by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/1/13 2:24:20 PM
frontrow said:

Outlaw Run is the wooden coaster form of Skyrush at Hershey.

Thanks for making me never want to go there. :-P

Glad you had a good time!

Jen

Re: Silver Dollar City TR by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 10/1/13 2:25:16 PM
yep, I was there. I was one of the robbers that day, so you got to see me at my worst/ best. :P Hopefully we gave you a good laugh on the train as well as some great views.

If I'd known you were there I would have invited you to have breakfast with me at the employee lounge (just as much food and about $4 or less) We'll have to make sure we share contact info next time.

All the crafting booths are out right now for the Fall Festival/ Crafting Festival. There usually aren't quite so many booths around, but it's one of the things that I love about this time of year. There is so much going on, and so much to see.

Happy to hear that you had a great time at the park. Hopefully we can get you back out to visit again- and meet up next time. :)

Re: Silver Dollar City TR by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/1/13 4:55:34 PM
I was on the train where you guys actually did screw up what day of the week it was, which made it more comical. I will give you a shout next time that I make my way to Silver Dollar City. As for the Skyrush analogy, I knew that would get some people's attention. I'll elaborate a little more. Outlaw Run's first drop really tries to dump you out just like Skyrush. Outlaw Run has ejector type air time, like Skyrush. Outlaw Run really throws your body around with the laterals, like Skyrush. In fact if you hold your hands up in the back seat you are going to get tossed around like a rag doll. Outlaw Run has very short ride, but maintains speed all the way to the end, like Skyrush. So that is why I made that analogy.