Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > What's the consensus on stand-ups among coaster enthusiasts?

What's the consensus on stand-ups among coaster enthusiasts?

anonymous

Posted:
9/29/13 at
5:42:26 AM

Hi, I'm new here, and I essentially joined to discuss this matter.
How do you all, and coaster enthusiasts in general feel about stand-up coasters?
From my experience, my friend's opinions and the results of enthusiast polls (the Hawker poll in particular), NOBODY seems to enjoy stand-up coasters over sit-downs.

When I want to ride a roller coaster, I want to be able to let my arms and legs flail around freely, and be in a state where i'm 100% experiencing the ride without any other concerns.
However, this is impossible on stand-up coasters.
I'm always worrying about the stupid bicycle seat and shifting back and forth to avoid getting my legs smashed by the g-forces after a long day of walking.
It's NEVER a comfortable or fun experience for me.

The sad thing is, many of these rides have fantastic layouts. Riddler's Revenge comes to mind. It's an awesomely designed ride, but it's soo damn uncomfortable I just can't enjoy it. If the old trains were stripped out and replaced with normal sit down cars, the ride could be a top tier roller coaster. Instead, it sits at number 106 in the Hawker polls, which sadly is the highest ranking any stand-up has achieved by a long shot.

Basically, my questions for you guys are:

-Do you enjoy stand-ups in comparison to sit-down coasters? If so, explain why.
-Why do you think existing b&m stand-ups have never (to my knowledge) had their trains replaced by normal sit-down ones, considering how poorly received stand-up coasters are?

Sorry, that was a bit long, but I'm really interested in why the stand-up car hasn't been eradicated. It makes for a miserable experience on some potentially fantastic track layouts.

Re: What's the consensus on stand-ups among coaster enthusiasts? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/29/13 6:47:03 AM
Very good question that I have thought about also. I remember back when they first started building these stand ups way back when. I guess the late 80's??? Everyone was soooo excited because this had never been done before. In my opinion, they are ok, but I really don't need to ride another stand up coaster. I prefer sitting down on a coaster because the stand ups are just too uncomfortable. They are very low capacity rides also because it takes people forever to get in the train correctly. Too many dummies thsat try to sit on a stand up coaster....lol
Dion
Re: What's the consensus on stand-ups among coaster enthusiasts? by anonymous at 9/29/13 6:56:27 AM
I'm glad you brought up the "takes too long to load" point, completely forgot it among my other complaints. The bizarre loading scheme always leads to the most horrendously long in-station times I've ever experienced for a conventional, continuous circuit ride.
Re: What's the consensus on stand-ups among coaster enthusiasts? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/29/13 9:54:57 AM
Most common complaint for most is the bicycle seat, but that doesn't bother me. Also I am very tall so I just raise the seat all the way up and I'm set... no fuss, no delay... at least, last time I rode Mantis at CP a few years back.

My main complaint about stand-ups is the head banging. This is because your head is further away from the track than it would be if you were sitting down... so all the track variations and vibrations are amplified (think of a metronome or inverted pendulum). It's just physics.

I used to love King Cobra, a Togo stand-up at Kings Island, but it was removed about ten years ago. Its counterpart at KD was not nearly as good. All this was before a leg injury changed what I can and can't ride, so I'm just going from memory now.

Why they do not replace the trains is probably because all the forces are calculated based on where the bodies are positioned on the train, and also the size of the cars. Different trains would track differently, and how the forces would affect the riders would all be completely different. Not saying it couldn't be done, just the results would not be what you'd wish they could be.

Re: What's the consensus on stand-ups among coaster enthusiasts? by Link Link Profile at 9/29/13 11:01:42 AM
RobLec said:

Most common complaint for most is the bicycle seat, but that doesn't bother me. Also I am very tall so I just raise the seat all the way up and I'm set... no fuss, no delay... at least, last time I rode Mantis at CP a few years back.

My main complaint about stand-ups is the head banging. This is because your head is further away from the track than it would be if you were sitting down... so all the track variations and vibrations are amplified (think of a metronome or inverted pendulum). It's just physics.

I used to love King Cobra, a Togo stand-up at Kings Island, but it was removed about ten years ago. Its counterpart at KD was not nearly as good. All this was before a leg injury changed what I can and can't ride, so I'm just going from memory now.

Why they do not replace the trains is probably because all the forces are calculated based on where the bodies are positioned on the train, and also the size of the cars. Different trains would track differently, and how the forces would affect the riders would all be completely different. Not saying it couldn't be done, just the results would not be what you'd wish they could be.

You bring up a good point about King Cobra: What it provided was a very unique ride experience that--as you said--was more governed by the laws of physics.

In the case of KC, those laws provided an awesome, cliff-like first drop and a trick track section that was unmatched by any sit down IMHO.

* This post was modified at 9/29/13 11:02:07 AM *

Re: What's the consensus on stand-ups among coaster enthusiasts? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/29/13 4:10:39 PM
Also I probably should have mentioned that the same pendulum effect that makes the head shake more on a standup is the same reason that suspendeds and inverts seem to be so smooth. In that case, the legs and feet are furthest from the track and are most affected by the forces, and the rider's head being closest to the track remains relatively stable.
Re: What's the consensus on stand-ups among coaster enthusiasts? by skc2000 at 9/29/13 11:57:09 PM
The main reason why parks like to build standup coasters is to break records.Like riddlers revenge which is still the tallest & fastest standup coaster in the world if riddlers was a regular sit down coaster it would not be breaking any records.

Same thing is with mantis.When mantis opened up in 1996 it was also the tallest & fastest standup coaster in the world.

I would also like it better if riddlers & mantis were sit down coasters but the reason why the park wanted it to be a standup is so that it can break the record of being the tallest & fastest standup in the world.

Iron wolf/apocalypse & chang/green lantern were also the tallest & fastest standup when they first opened up.

skc2000

Re: What's the consensus on stand-ups among coaster enthusiasts? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 9/30/13 9:55:07 AM
The problem, in my opinion, isn't the ride itself, but the history behind it.

Considering most stand-up coasters started off as conversions of existing rides, it was doomed from the beginning.

From the get go, it was a gimmick, no different from a wing coaster, invert, etc. The difference? The invert, wing, and every other coaster was built from the ground up, at least to my knowledge. Arrow and TOGO, god bless their souls, tried modifying what they should have known wouldn't work.

When B&M and Intamin finally got into the game, things looked better, but it's been a slow uphill battle. I firmly believe the long associated bad history of the ride, along with the extreme forces your body experiences standing up, is why we haven't seen one since the turn of the century.

Personally, I think TOGO's restraint design is more comfortable, but the track, elements, and everything else is better on a B&M. I would love one day to try an Intamin version.

If I had to rank all the ones I've been on, they are as follows:

Mantis - B&M
Green Lantern - B&M
Shockwave - TOGO
Apocalypse (Iron Wolf) - B&M

Re: What's the consensus on stand-ups among coaster enthusiasts? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/30/13 11:22:57 AM
I don't like stand-ups and find them very uncomfortable. It's partly because I'm of average height (5'11") but my legs are not long. I have to ride stand-ups defensively, and I don't like having to work when I'm on a coaster.

I'm not sure if the following accounts for ALL standups I've been on, but from those I remember, I'd rank 'em thusly:

1.Chang/Green Lantern (only one I actually sorta liked..in BOTH locations..will currently only ride the front..blasphemy for me, I know!)

2. King Cobra

3. Georgia Scorcher

4. Shockwave (KD, never rode at GrAdv)

5. Sky Rider (Canada)

6..Vortex (Carowinds)

7.Mantis

8. Iron WolF/Apocalypse (Rode in both locations..the trip East most certainly did NOT improve the ride)

Huh..I've been on more than I thought...

What stand-ups has Intamin made?

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: What's the consensus on stand-ups among coaster enthusiasts? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/30/13 12:15:42 PM
beastmaster said:

I don't like stand-ups and find them very uncomfortable. It's partly because I'm of average height (5'11") but my legs are not long. I have to ride stand-ups defensively, and I don't like having to work when I'm on a coaster.

I'm not sure if the following accounts for ALL standups I've been on, but from those I remember, I'd rank 'em thusly:

1.Chang/Green Lantern (only one I actually sorta liked..in BOTH locations..will currently only ride the front..blasphemy for me, I know!)

2. King Cobra

3. Georgia Scorcher

4. Shockwave (KD, never rode at GrAdv)

5. Sky Rider (Canada)

6..Vortex (Carowinds)

7.Mantis

8. Iron WolF/Apocalypse (Rode in both locations..the trip East most certainly did NOT improve the ride)

Huh..I've been on more than I thought...

What stand-ups has Intamin made?

Mike

I rode an Intiman stand up at Six Flags Astroworld. I believe that there still is one at LaRonde. Hopefully I'll find out for myself next year.

Re: What's the consensus on stand-ups among coaster enthusiasts? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/30/13 2:46:16 PM
Yeah, you're right on those, Ken. I looked at the list of Intamin stand-ups, and I haven't been on any. The one at GAdv, as mentioned, I never rode. It looked bad (and scary) just watching it from the midway.
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: What's the consensus on stand-ups among coaster enthusiasts? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 9/30/13 3:06:40 PM
While I'm not a fan of stand-ups, I don't hate them. Many are rough, but one nice and smooth one is Georgia Scorcher.

If there weren't OTSRs, then stand-ups would be a lot better, I think. Even a vest would be a great improvement.

However, after walking around and standing in lines all day, the forces a stand-up coaster can inflict upon your feet can be like torture, and there is no way to fix that issue.

Re: What's the consensus on stand-ups among coaster enthusiasts? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/30/13 5:29:57 PM
^
I agree with Georgia Scorcher being one of the best.
I am also in the camp of I don't hate them, but I won't wait long to ride one.
And long for me is 30+ minutes. YMMV
Mike B.
Re: What's the consensus on stand-ups among coaster enthusiasts? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 9/30/13 11:47:33 PM
I think if B&M had filled more orders after Georgia Schorcher, they could have easily perfected the type, even in light of my earlier comments.

Now that B&M has the new vest system down for their wings and inverts, I can see them tweaking it for use on their stand-ups as someone mentioned. I think it's going to become their new standard when a clamshell won't work.

I'd also love to see what some of the other companies could do to reinvent the stand-up from the ground up. S&S surprised me with some of their innovations last year at IAAPA.

Re: What's the consensus on stand-ups among coaster enthusiasts? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 10/1/13 12:38:13 AM
I think if B&M had filled more orders after Georgia Schorcher, they could have easily perfected the type, even in light of my earlier comments.

Now that B&M has the new vest system down for their wings and inverts, I can see them tweaking it for use on their stand-ups as someone mentioned. I think it's going to become their new standard when a clamshell won't work.

I'd also love to see what some of the other companies could do to reinvent the stand-up from the ground up. S&S surprised me with some of their innovations last year at IAAPA.

Re: What's the consensus on stand-ups among coaster enthusiasts? by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 10/1/13 7:35:15 AM
If all stand-ups were like Georgia Scorcher I don't think we'd have this conversation. That is easily the best one of its genre out there. I also loved Riddler's Revenge back in 2001.

My main issue with the stand-ups, which are okay rides overall, are the OTSR. If they weren't so big and bulky around the head area there wouldn't be as much headbanging and ear bashing in the transitions. TOGO got it right by keeping the head area free from the restraint but at the same time created quite the awkward restraint system. You have to master yoga to squeeze into them.

I was not comfortable when I rode Shock Wave at KD last year as it felt like the restraint didn't quite fit right though I felt secure enough to "enjoy" my ride.

G-Dog

Re: What's the consensus on stand-ups among coaster enthusiasts? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 10/1/13 4:06:43 PM
-Do you enjoy stand-ups in comparison to sit-down coasters? If so, explain why.

I do, but all floorless/sit down are usually better.

-Why do you think existing b&m stand-ups have never (to my knowledge) had their trains replaced by normal sit-down ones, considering how poorly received stand-up coasters are?

I would love for them to be replaced, but I'm sure it's not easy. It would also be a bit of a moot point for certain parks. Particularly great adventure comes into mind. The "stand up to your fear" for Green Lantern is it's gimmick. If it had a sitdown style car, it'd be too much like Bizarro. I wouldn't mind the change, but I think it'd look bad on paper for em.

Stand up's are ok in my book. Definitely don't see a new one being made ANYTIME soon. It's not as enjoyable, and it's not the 90's anymore. I think coaster designers have proven they are headed in other directions. For example the inversions on wooden coasters, the retracking of wooden coasters, and the 300ft monsters.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv