Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet???

Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet???

Jumbo-Jet Jumbo-Jet Profile

Posted:
9/23/13 at
8:23:41 PM

Does anyone know if the dismantling (or demolition) of Rolling Thunder at Six Flags Great Adventure has begun yet??? If so, have any pics of the demolition been posted online?

Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by depotrat at 9/23/13 8:26:01 PM
I was there Saturday 9/21. Nothing yet. Trains just sitting on the track.
Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 9/23/13 9:18:33 PM
I'd assume it'd happen after Fright Fest is over.

I'm still waiting to see which piece they send me... a wooden beam, a screw, maybe a wheel. Some of the trim brakes would be nice.

Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/24/13 5:43:50 AM
antikythera said:

I'd assume it'd happen after Fright Fest is over.

I'm still waiting to see which piece they send me... a wooden beam, a screw, maybe a wheel. Some of the trim brakes would be nice.

Don't get your hopes up. A small sliver of wood is the most likely scenario. Anything else would surprise me.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 9/24/13 9:42:13 AM
LOL, I know Beast. I was just hoping we'd all get a different piece and attempt to rebuild it. :P
Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/24/13 10:04:31 AM
antikythera said:

LOL, I know Beast. I was just hoping we'd all get a different piece and attempt to rebuild it. :P

LOL!

Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/24/13 5:00:32 PM
They said the wood would be numbered and certified with a certificate of authenticity - it's not going to be just a sliver of wood.

I'm getting the head choppers. I'm going to mount them across the stairs when you come in my house so you have to duck. :-)

And absolutely NO dismantling has taken place yet and it pisses me off. Why close it so early then?

I ran into Dan one of our behind the scenes tour guides on Fri at KK and told him I wasn't done with the tour yet. He said neither was he so I wanted to figure a way we could get back there again. I will go up that elevator if it's the last thing I do dammit! :-P

I should have just ran in when I had the chance!

How cool would that be??!!

Jen

Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by alpengeistno3 at 9/24/13 7:54:15 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Jen

You'll get find out next year...after your 5 hr wait to get on Drop of Doom!!!!! :)

Paul

Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/24/13 7:59:27 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

You'll get find out next year...after your 5 hr wait to get on Drop of Doom!!!!! :)

Paul

NOT the same thing! And that's why I want to go now - before my beautiful green King is vandalized! :-)

Also got confirmation to what I already assumed would be true - KK will not be opened until Memorial Day when the drop tower opens. NOT HAPPY!!!

Jen

Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by alpengeistno3 at 9/24/13 11:18:39 PM
I'm actually surprised it is not closing early for them to install those pieces. (since they already have them sitting there in the parking lot.)

Then again, they don't seem to be in a rush to knock Rolling Thunder down despite closing it 2 months before the end of the season.

Maybe they want to give them time to fade like the rest of the supports. Cheaper than painting the whole thing!

Paul

* This post was modified at 9/24/13 11:20:31 PM *

Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/25/13 4:13:34 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

I'm actually surprised it is not closing early for them to install those pieces. (since they already have them sitting there in the parking lot.)

Then again, they don't seem to be in a rush to knock Rolling Thunder down despite closing it 2 months before the end of the season.

Maybe they want to give them time to fade like the rest of the supports. Cheaper than painting the whole thing!

Paul

LMAO! More supports have arrived as well as of Friday. Someone said there were orange ones that have arrived but they weren't there on Friday. They should've made all the supports orange if they weren't planning on repainting - it's not going to look very pleasant in contrast with the fading turquoise. Although to be honest if they are going to paint something I'd rather them paint Nitro.

Jen

Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 9/25/13 11:49:15 AM
SFGAdv seems to really know how to push your buttons this year Jen. lol
Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/25/13 12:53:48 PM
Rollercoaster_freak220 said:

SFGAdv seems to really know how to push your buttons this year Jen. lol

LOL! After all of this they better make that path to the drop tower go through to KK or open up the old path from ET to KK because I've been bitching all year about having to walk all the way around on my bad foot. Could you even imagine having a ride attached to KK but you can't get there from that side and have to walk all the way around the boardwalk and then past RT's old location to get there? If they don't do that then they'll see what pissed really is! ;-)

Jen

Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/26/13 5:36:41 PM
Alert.
Serious thread jacking here.
Alert.

Speaking of dismantling...
Not for nuthin', the Yanks are.
Dismantled.

Goyanks? They did go.

;-)

Mike B.
Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/26/13 8:17:22 PM
I would love to say something like that, but unfortunately I'm a Mets fan. Makes it difficult to feel Schadenfreude.

So I'll live vicariously through your post. And the BoSox are my AL team, so at least I'll have someone to root for. Oh, I also have a Reds jersey, so that may get some use.

* This post was modified at 9/26/13 8:18:51 PM *

Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/27/13 2:01:27 AM
MABrider said:

Alert.
Alert.

Dismantled.

Goyanks? They did go.

;-)

I just got home from balling my eyes out at the stadium saying goodbye to two of the few remaining current players that I love so I really don't care about the playoffs right now. :-(

Besides, getting there every year but one for 18 years in a row is pretty amazing considering I was a fan LONG before they were any good. Don't think any other team can claim that so I'm OK with a year off. Hopefully it drives ticket prices down a bit. And after the class displayed by Tampa tonight I'm rooting for them all the way. ;-)

Jen

* This post was modified at 9/27/13 2:54:07 AM *

Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by drachen drachen Profile at 9/27/13 11:12:39 AM
GoYanks34 said:

MABrider said:

Alert.
Alert.

Dismantled.

Goyanks? They did go.

;-)

I just got home from balling my eyes out at the stadium saying goodbye to two of the few remaining current players that I love so I really don't care about the playoffs right now. :-(

Besides, getting there every year but one for 18 years in a row is pretty amazing considering I was a fan LONG before they were any good. Don't think any other team can claim that so I'm OK with a year off. Hopefully it drives ticket prices down a bit. And after the class displayed by Tampa tonight I'm rooting for them all the way. ;-)

Jen

It's ok Jen. As an Orioles fan, part of me is happy that I can spend time at parks this fall instead of watching baseball. You can do the same.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/27/13 11:45:53 AM
A couple of years ago, I was at Dorney the night of a Yankees playoff or World Series game. Every time I found myself in the Hydra/Meteor/Talon area, I stopped in the what was then the Game Day Grill to check the score.
Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/28/13 7:44:46 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Jen

Yeah I feel the team is going to go for the $189 mil mark. With Andy going and Kuroda probably going elsewhere, that's 2 sure hits to the rotation. I think it's time to weather thru the lean years or wait till 2015 for the next big free agent available. I admit I was too young to appreciate the suffering the team had prior to the start of 1996, but I went to my first game at the stadium in 1996 before they won the division and eventually the WS. I didn't bail on them in 2008 when many others did and was rewarded with the 2009 win against a tough Phillies team (and boy were the Mets fans pissed at how Pedro revived himself). As for this 2013 season, I wasn't expecting much given the injuries and blown leads and slim run support. Even a 2nd wild card was a tough challenge to meet. I tip my hat to Swisher if his Indians team holds on to one of the 2 ws spots. lol, I still think he'll fold in the playoffs though. He's a good regular season hitter ad that's why the yankees let him go. I think the biggest mistake was letting the catcher Martin leave.

lol sorry, back to rolling thunder: stupid to close it if it could still run :) there back on topic.

Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by Jumbo-Jet Jumbo-Jet Profile at 9/28/13 9:30:54 PM
A few years ago when the Great American Scream Machine closed for good, they started dismantling it immediately, unlike the Rolling Thunder...and the GASM closed in early/mid-August, if I remember correctly.
Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/29/13 5:41:03 AM
GASM was closed July 18th and started to be worked on July 23rd. Was completely dismantled by the end of August.

I know people think that the executives may have had a change of heart about RT but I wouldn't hold my breath. No one at the park wanted it to go and no one on the board could really give a crap about how they or we feel. It's just business to them. My bet is on either they didn't want to spend the money to keep it running or it was in such bad condition they didn't have a choice but to close it early since they were not going to put another dime into maintenance (really the same thing I suppose).

Jen

Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by alpengeistno3 at 9/29/13 8:37:30 PM
That's probably true, Jen. Plus, there is also the fact that the new ride is being added to KK's current structure, so no new construction is needed (beyond paving the path, which can be done easily once the park has reopened before the Memorial Day opening).

GASM had to go early so they could remove the old footers and add the GL footers before the cold winter months hit. A completely more labor intensive process.

Paul

Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 9/29/13 10:57:16 PM
I also imagine it's easier to raze a wooden structure than a steel one. I'm pretty sure GASM came down early because there was so much to taking it apart and scrapping the metal.

If Son of Beast is any example of how it's done, they'll probably do the same with RT and just pull the thing down in one fell swoop (especially if it's really in as bad shape as we're assuming).

* This post was modified at 9/29/13 10:59:32 PM *

Re: Has The Dismantling Of Rolling Thunder Started Yet??? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/30/13 7:21:49 AM
antikythera said:

If Son of Beast is any example of how it's done, they'll probably do the same with RT and just pull the thing down in one fell swoop (especially if it's really in as bad shape as we're assuming).

It'll be like the world's largest Jenga game.Pull out one piece of wood and watch the whole darn thing collapse!

Mike