Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > TR: Knoebels 9/15

TR: Knoebels 9/15

Coaster316

Posted:
9/16/13 at
8:41:17 AM

Sunday was my second trip to Knoebels of the year. As with my first in July, it would be a rather short, casual trip to a park that used to be a huge part of my summers.

I arrived right at the Noon opening. My parents were set to arrive a little more than an hour later and our agreement was that I would ride the rides they wouldn’t want to first and then meet up with them when they got there. The park was offering ride all day stamps but I knew I would never get enough rides in, so I skipped it. In fact, as I was more hungry for food than rides so my first stop of the day would be the tri-taters. Yummy. Second stop? Rib-B-Q. Not quite sure why I used to love these, but still glad I got it. Next stop was the soft ice cream stand. I got a small peanut butter cone. First time I tried one and I loved it.

I walked around a bit and people watched before meeting up with my parents at the carousel. They said they were hungry and wanted to grab lunch. Who was I to argue? So off to the international food court we went where I partook of some great Haluski. Loved it. I don’t know much about pasta, but Knoebels uses a different pasta than I’m used to in Haluski and it works very, very well.

Our first ride of the day would be Black Diamond. Our two train wait was very quick and off we went. I absolutely love this ride. Most people I’ve heard from have been surprised by this ride. While most people were expecting a more thrilling adventure, I was expecting much less of a themed one. That’s why I love it so much. I think the theming is five times what I expected and is excellent. It has quickly become one of my favorite rides at the park.

Phoenix was running one train and the line was out into the midway. I knew this wasn’t a long line but my Dad and I still decided we’d come back to it later. Worst case scenario the line would be right where it is now. So we walked over to Stratosfear.

Drop rides are my Dad’s favorite type of rides in a park and Stratosfear is one of his favorite drop rides he’s been on. As mentioned many times over, Stratosfear and similar towers do not come to a complete stop at the top of the tower, which means while your momentum is still pointed upward, the ride has already begun its descent. To me, these are the scariest drops of any kind as I spend the ride down thinking to myself “I’d better land on this seat properly”. Great addition to the park.

I’m not sure if my Dad really wanted to ride Twister or not. He asked me a couple of times as we got off Stratosfear and we played the “I’ll ride it if you want to” game with each other. Me? I had no interest in riding. We ended up on the Pioneer Train next and was very glad to make the choice. The line for the train was out into the midway with two trains running. As we ran under Twister we could see that the line was almost to the entrance with one train running. Glad we skipped it. Train was awesome as always. No squirrels at the turnaround but there was one chipmunk chowing down.

Next up was the Skyway. All three of us got on one chair and enjoyed the conversation and view on the way up and down. The ride up is kind of blah, but the ride back down has a great view.

Next stop is the awesome Haunted Mansion. They were only using half of the queue, with the line out past the entranceway. I can’t say much more about this ride that I haven’t said multiple times over the years. This is quite simply one of the best dark rides anywhere, imo, and a true gem in the industry.

I played some fascination as my parents took a break with some snacks. $2.00 and no win.
My Dad and I made our way to Phoenix from here. The line was still where it was previously and still only one train running. The line doesn’t take too long and we choose Row 3.

Phoenix was running fast but I have to say that I didn’t get any of the expected airtime until the final straightway and bunny hops. The double-up/double-down did not deliver much for me. However, I’ll note that my Dad thought it was running excellently and it did appear that the kids in the front row were getting tossed quite handily throughout the ride, so take it for what it’s worth.

We wanted to ride Stratosfear one more time, but it was down when we got back over there. My folks grabbed a bit more to eat while I went back to Fascination. $3.00 and 8 tickets won (two games in a row).

Elsewhere, Flying Turns was testing throughout most of the time I was there. I didn’t spend much time watching, but every time I was in the area it was running from 1:00 until we left at 5:30. The park, overall, looked great as usual, the employees seemed to be making more of an effort to be friendly than I’m used to there, and I saw Mr. Knoebel himself roaming around interacting with families.

This day was a great example of why I always loved Knoebels. We took our time wandering the park, enjoying the atmosphere and didn’t really ride too many rides. However, those rides we did were all either among the best of their genre, unique, or otherwise standouts among the amusement park world. Everything we did…everything…was something that you’d have to do some research to find one of that quality elsewhere but were all neatly packaged together in one small park in the middle of nowhere.

Awesome.

Re: TR: Knoebels 9/15 by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 9/16/13 2:05:16 PM
Awesome awesome write up!

All of the above is definitely making me want to take a solo trip up there this fall.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: TR: Knoebels 9/15 by ray_p ray_p Profile at 9/16/13 3:27:15 PM
Great TR Jeff. Glad to hear you had a nice day at one of America's best parks.

As mugen said, that report really makes me want to make the drive east before the season is over. Black Diamond sounds like a real gem and 5 years between Twister rides is a bit too long for my liking!

Re: TR: Knoebels 9/15 by Patripman Patripman Profile at 9/16/13 4:32:34 PM
Great report Jeff. Speaking of Fascination I have 20 years of tickets saved up. I wonder what I can get with 1,000+ tickets?
By the way anyone going to PPP this year? I still havent decided one way or the other. I called the campground and they have sites open but we maybe in a hotel for several nights. The only thing holding me back is the drive. For some odd reason I just dont like the 5.5 hour drive, years ago no problem.

Patripman

* This post was modified at 9/16/13 4:33:59 PM *

Re: TR: Knoebels 9/15 by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/16/13 10:59:46 PM
Patripman said:

Great report Jeff. Speaking of Fascination I have 20 years of tickets saved up. I wonder what I can get with 1,000+ tickets?
By the way anyone going to PPP this year? I still havent decided one way or the other. I called the campground and they have sites open but we maybe in a hotel for several nights. The only thing holding me back is the drive. For some odd reason I just dont like the 5.5 hour drive, years ago no problem.

Patripman

I'll be at PPP.
May even play a game or three of Fascination. You can have my tickets.
I'm hoteling it as usual.

BTW, no Ed this year, but a few of the usual suspects will be there, of course.

Please keep Ripples at bay. ;-)

Mike B.
Re: TR: Knoebels 9/15 by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/17/13 12:55:53 AM
Coaster316 said:

Sunday was my second trip to Knoebels of the year. As with my first in July, it would be a rather short, casual trip to a park that used to be a huge part of my summers.

I arrived right at the Noon opening. My parents were set to arrive a little more than an hour later and our agreement was that I would ride the rides they wouldn’t want to first and then meet up with them when they got there. The park was offering ride all day stamps but I knew I would never get enough rides in, so I skipped it. In fact, as I was more hungry for food than rides so my first stop of the day would be the tri-taters. Yummy. Second stop? Rib-B-Q. Not quite sure why I used to love these, but still glad I got it. Next stop was the soft ice cream stand. I got a small peanut butter cone. First time I tried one and I loved it.

I walked around a bit and people watched before meeting up with my parents at the carousel. They said they were hungry and wanted to grab lunch. Who was I to argue? So off to the international food court we went where I partook of some great Haluski. Loved it. I don’t know much about pasta, but Knoebels uses a different pasta than I’m used to in Haluski and it works very, very well.

Our first ride of the day would be Black Diamond. Our two train wait was very quick and off we went. I absolutely love this ride. Most people I’ve heard from have been surprised by this ride. While most people were expecting a more thrilling adventure, I was expecting much less of a themed one. That’s why I love it so much. I think the theming is five times what I expected and is excellent. It has quickly become one of my favorite rides at the park.

Phoenix was running one train and the line was out into the midway. I knew this wasn’t a long line but my Dad and I still decided we’d come back to it later. Worst case scenario the line would be right where it is now. So we walked over to Stratosfear.

Drop rides are my Dad’s favorite type of rides in a park and Stratosfear is one of his favorite drop rides he’s been on. As mentioned many times over, Stratosfear and similar towers do not come to a complete stop at the top of the tower, which means while your momentum is still pointed upward, the ride has already begun its descent. To me, these are the scariest drops of any kind as I spend the ride down thinking to myself “I’d better land on this seat properly”. Great addition to the park.

I’m not sure if my Dad really wanted to ride Twister or not. He asked me a couple of times as we got off Stratosfear and we played the “I’ll ride it if you want to” game with each other. Me? I had no interest in riding. We ended up on the Pioneer Train next and was very glad to make the choice. The line for the train was out into the midway with two trains running. As we ran under Twister we could see that the line was almost to the entrance with one train running. Glad we skipped it. Train was awesome as always. No squirrels at the turnaround but there was one chipmunk chowing down.

Next up was the Skyway. All three of us got on one chair and enjoyed the conversation and view on the way up and down. The ride up is kind of blah, but the ride back down has a great view.

Next stop is the awesome Haunted Mansion. They were only using half of the queue, with the line out past the entranceway. I can’t say much more about this ride that I haven’t said multiple times over the years. This is quite simply one of the best dark rides anywhere, imo, and a true gem in the industry.

I played some fascination as my parents took a break with some snacks. $2.00 and no win.
My Dad and I made our way to Phoenix from here. The line was still where it was previously and still only one train running. The line doesn’t take too long and we choose Row 3.

Phoenix was running fast but I have to say that I didn’t get any of the expected airtime until the final straightway and bunny hops. The double-up/double-down did not deliver much for me. However, I’ll note that my Dad thought it was running excellently and it did appear that the kids in the front row were getting tossed quite handily throughout the ride, so take it for what it’s worth.

We wanted to ride Stratosfear one more time, but it was down when we got back over there. My folks grabbed a bit more to eat while I went back to Fascination. $3.00 and 8 tickets won (two games in a row).

Elsewhere, Flying Turns was testing throughout most of the time I was there. I didn’t spend much time watching, but every time I was in the area it was running from 1:00 until we left at 5:30. The park, overall, looked great as usual, the employees seemed to be making more of an effort to be friendly than I’m used to there, and I saw Mr. Knoebel himself roaming around interacting with families.

This day was a great example of why I always loved Knoebels. We took our time wandering the park, enjoying the atmosphere and didn’t really ride too many rides. However, those rides we did were all either among the best of their genre, unique, or otherwise standouts among the amusement park world. Everything we did…everything…was something that you’d have to do some research to find one of that quality elsewhere but were all neatly packaged together in one small park in the middle of nowhere.

Awesome.

Seems like you might have been victim of the incredible sliding divider on Phoenix. Put it this way. Whoever sits down first, Gets the most room and thus more air.

Glad you had a good time :)

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: TR: Knoebels 9/15 by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/17/13 7:13:28 PM
I will be going to PPP for the first time this year. I can't wait!! I hope they are saving this day to open up Flying Turns!!
Re: TR: Knoebels 9/15 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/17/13 8:41:13 PM
chitlins73 said:

I will be going to PPP for the first time this year. I can't wait!! I hope they are saving this day to open up Flying Turns!!

Mike and I were discussing that scenario. I'll be on the boat for PPP, so our visit was my last opportunity for the year. I guess I'll have to wait for next year.

Re: TR: Knoebels 9/15 by Patripman Patripman Profile at 9/17/13 9:03:27 PM
I'll be at PPP.
May even play a game or three of Fascination. You can have my tickets.
I'm hoteling it as usual.

BTW, no Ed this year, but a few of the usual suspects will be there, of course.

Mike,

No Ed, that will be a first for him since 1997, Is everything OK?

Bernard

Re: TR: Knoebels 9/15 by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/18/13 1:10:48 PM
Patripman said:

Mike,

No Ed, that will be a first for him since 1997, Is everything OK?

Bernard

I believe he had a choice to make re work: attend RoTB at SFGAdv (Sept 14) or PPP. He chose RoTB.

Our cast of characters will miss him.
At least now we know there will be no ride breakdowns! (Yep, that stigma will never leave the poor guy).

Mike B.