Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Seaside Heights NJ Boardwalk is on Fire :-(
Re: Seaside Heights NJ Boardwalk is on Fire :-( by Patripman Patripman Profile at 9/12/13 5:51:33 PM
Yes they were showing the fire on our local news.

I always find it odd that these types of fires historically always happen after the official summer tourist season ends, especially in New Jersey. I guess someone got some bad news with the seasons balance sheet, if you know what I mean.

Patripman

Re: Seaside Heights NJ Boardwalk is on Fire :-( by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/12/13 5:58:06 PM
Patripman said:

Yes they were showing the fire on our local news.


I always find it odd that these types of fires historically always happen after the official summer tourist season ends, especially in New Jersey. I guess someone got some bad news with the seasons balance sheet, if you know what I mean.

Patripman

It started at the Kohr's stand - there are like 10 of them on the boardwalk. Seaside has it's 100 year celebration at the boardwalk tomorrow so I highly doubt it was intentional - the crowds are supposed to be huge. If that was the case they would have waited.

Jen

Re: Seaside Heights NJ Boardwalk is on Fire :-( by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/12/13 6:43:54 PM
Man, they can't catch a break! :(
Re: Seaside Heights NJ Boardwalk is on Fire :-( by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/12/13 8:39:51 PM
Patripman said:

I guess someone got some bad news with the seasons balance sheet, if you know what I mean.
Patripman

???
Sounds like a Ripples comment, to me.
Mike B.
Re: Seaside Heights NJ Boardwalk is on Fire :-( by Patripman Patripman Profile at 9/13/13 12:37:18 PM
I was going to post a follow up but held off but many people are looking at this as suspicious when it was first reported without hesitance, just look at what is being reported, part of the story below.

ABC news coverage 9/13/2013
"Investigators are suspicious of the fire's origin for the following reasons: it was a midday fire with no bad weather to speak of or obvious cause, there were no injuries, the structure survived the summer season only to burn now, and a huge number of firefighters were not around Thursday because the annual New Jersey Firemen's Convention is kicking off today in Atlantic City, sources told ABC News."

I know some maybe skeptical of the origins but so many times fires like this just dont happen by accident.

Paman

* This post was modified at 9/13/13 12:40:55 PM *

Re: Seaside Heights NJ Boardwalk is on Fire :-( by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/13/13 12:41:46 PM
Patripman said:

I was going to post a follow up but held off but many people are looking at this as suspicious when it was first reported without hesitance, just look at what is being reported, part of the story below.


ABC news coverage 9/13/2013
"Investigators are suspicious of the fire's origin for the following reasons: it was a midday fire with no bad weather to speak of or obvious cause, there were no injuries, the structure survived the summer season only to burn now, and a huge number of firefighters were not around Thursday because the annual New Jersey Firemen's Convention is kicking off today in Atlantic City, sources told ABC News."

I know some maybe skeptical of the origins bur so many times fires like this just dont happen by accident. The workers at the ice cream shop supposedly reported the fire coming up through the floor and boardwalk from below.

Paman

Lightning strikes were reported in that area around the time of the fire. We had them here as well so don't be so quick to judge. With all the rebuilding and damage after Sandy electrical origins cannot be ruled out either. Let them do the investigation and see what they find before you go accusing people of being arsonists.

Jen

Re: Seaside Heights NJ Boardwalk is on Fire :-( by Patripman Patripman Profile at 9/13/13 3:53:01 PM
Nobody is accusing anyone of being an arsonist or if this fire was arson. But I can tell you if you read many of the stories coming out of New Jersey especially from the locals there is many questions that need to be answered for a fire that went way out of control within a matter of minutes, understanding that the winds were blowing. Also the National Weather Service has a way to detect and store information of each and every lightening strike for insurance purposes, we used it for an insurance claim at my work.

They may never find a cause but people will always be suspicious of the cause, just because of past history.

Patripman

* This post was modified at 9/13/13 3:56:45 PM *

Re: Seaside Heights NJ Boardwalk is on Fire :-( by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/17/13 11:55:06 AM
http://brick.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/seaside-park-fire-accidental-according-to-report_3ffac984

I usually don't like doing this but "I told you so!"

:-P

Jen

Re: Seaside Heights NJ Boardwalk is on Fire :-( by Patripman Patripman Profile at 9/17/13 9:23:46 PM
And I along with 98% of the people who saw the fire were wrong about the possible cause and I admit that but you know as well as I know that anytime there is a fire in any area along the Jersey shore especially in the tourist areas after Labor Day will be looked upon as suspicious, whether right or wrong.
Now with this behind them maybe they can get on with reconstruction and instead of wood for the boardwalk it maybe wise to consider concrete.

Patripman

Re: Seaside Heights NJ Boardwalk is on Fire :-( by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/17/13 9:41:23 PM
Patripman said:

And I along with 98% of the people who saw the fire were wrong about the possible cause and I admit that but you know as well as I know that anytime there is a fire in any area along the Jersey shore especially in the tourist areas after Labor Day will be looked upon as suspicious, whether right or wrong.
Now with this behind them maybe they can get on with reconstruction and instead of wood for the boardwalk it maybe wise to consider concrete.

Patripman

It was the way it started that made me have strong doubts about arson. You had employees in the store cleaning up and shutting down for the season and what they described was smoke started coming up from the boardwalk. You had many people on the beach - it was a nice day - so for someone to attempt to go under the boardwalk unnoticed in the middle of a fairly active day and start a fire (which they would need accelerant and materials to do - holding lighter to the pre-treated wood would do nothing) would be stupid. An arsonist would be setting fires when no one was there, not in the middle of the day when shops were open and plenty of people were around. Plus those businesses just went through hell with Sandy and they could have taken the insurance money and ran if they really wanted to. None of it made any sense in relation to arson when you looked at the facts that we knew. Plus many people pointed out that the electrical wiring runs under the boardwalk as well, where the fire started. It wasn't just a hunch - I did take facts into consideration. :-)

They will never use concrete to rebuild the boardwalk - it was proposed when rebuilding and shot down vigorously. Coney Island was used as an example since they have a mix of wood and concrete and their boardwalk was left pretty much intact. Just like the people who are suing because of the mandatory dunes on the barrier islands because it's blocking their views. People will never learn.

Jen

Re: Seaside Heights NJ Boardwalk is on Fire by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 9/17/13 9:49:07 PM
I have to agree. I thought the timing made it suspicious as well, but I guess it was not. The cause is really unfortunate since it was so preventable.

The strong winds made it apparent that they fueled and spread the fire. It looked like a brush fire that is so common in Southern California.

If one is planning to torch their own business then I'd hope they'd opt for a different time so it doesn't impact so many other businesses.

Unfortunately, the biggest loss is Carousel Arcade. While they can rebuild the buildings the historic carousel cannot be replaced. It's forever gone.

The owner of Funtown Pier has pledged to rebuild the pier. I hope they begin immediately.

FunTown Pier owner pledges to rebuild scorched Seaside fun park

Re: Seaside Heights NJ Boardwalk is on Fire :-( by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/24/13 4:26:17 PM
The theater where I work is hosting a Hurricane Sandy: One Year Later type thing with speakers and performances. Our site is using a shot of the Star Jet (Jet Star for some) in the ocean. However, the shot is different from most I've seen. It's just a great combination of the ocean, the right time of day, and a very clear picture. If anyone wants to see it:

http://www.njpac.org/events/detail/sandy

Mike

And no, I'm not trying to sell tickets..the event is free!

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Seaside Heights NJ Boardwalk is on Fire :-( by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/9/13 5:17:21 PM
http://blog.nj.com/njv_mark_diionno/2013/10/seaside_boardwalk_owner_promis.html

I like the sound of this!

Jen