Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years

Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years

PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile

Posted:
9/12/13 at
2:45:16 PM

Today KD announced plans for 2014. They include:

The return of the blue ice cream.

A complete restoration of the iconic International Street fountain, which will include a new LED lighting package and additional refurbishments.

Reintroduction of one of the park’s original classic midways, Candy Apple Grove. This re-themed area will include new ride lighting packages, return of the classic over-sized candy apples along the midway and other surprises.

The return of Safari Village (formerly the Congo area of the park) and will include exciting improvements to Volcano: The Blast Coaster and one of the park’s older roller coasters, Anaconda.

Plus a few other things going on in the park to celebrate. Makes me wonder what improvement to Anaconda they will do as well as Volcano. Nice to see them go back to what it used to be though.

Lee

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by ray_p ray_p Profile at 9/12/13 3:24:56 PM
PkD4Life said:

Reintroduction of one of the park’s original classic midways, Candy Apple Grove. This re-themed area will include new ride lighting packages, return of the classic over-sized candy apples along the midway and other surprises.

If they bring back the Singing Mushrooms, I will immediately put Kings Dominion on my "to do list" for 2014. :)

Seriously, it's nice to see a park respect its history by bringing back things from the past. The blue ice cream is still a hit at Kings Island, so I'd assume it will be popular in Doswell also. I definitely like the direction CF is taking with many of their parks recently. Upgrading the park's appearance and atmosphere can only make for a better experience overall.

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by Coaster316 at 9/12/13 3:57:12 PM
Love this type of stuff. Happy to see it, even if its a bunch of minor things. Hoping to get there next year, expecting the apples to bring a tear to my eye.

Very interested in what improvements to Anaconda and Volcano are outside of potential paint jobs. New restraints on Anaconda would make that an awesome ride, imo. A sentimental favorite already. Will also be interesting to see what Safari Village could look like considering Stunt Coaster, Flight of Fear, and Intimidator are all right there.

Just say no to singing mushrooms. They always scared me as a kid.

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/12/13 6:29:43 PM
Will Volcano be getting a dual loading station? :D Nah, probably shouldn't get my hopes that high...

Interesting about Anaconda. I must say I am surprised about them making 'improvements' for it. I guess a coat of paint would be nice. Would be crazier if it's some train redesign so it would have new restraints. I'm sorry, but anaconda wouldn't be worth keeping imo. They could use that space for another coaster imo. otoh, if Hurler goes first, then no loss there.

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 9/12/13 8:10:32 PM
Hopefully they are talking about doing more than just paint for Anaconda - new restraints would be awesome. Also, no idea what they are going to do to Volcano, since IMO the only thing that's really "wrong" with it is that it is such a slow loader, but I don't see how they would remedy that.

But it is nice that they are going to re-do some of these things since I do have memories of going to KD back in the 70's and early 80's.

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/12/13 8:35:13 PM
What's the flavor of that blue ice cream?
Mike B.
Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/12/13 8:50:53 PM
MABrider said:

Jeez...great Mikes think alike. I was gonna ask the same thing.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by alpengeistno3 at 9/12/13 10:52:42 PM
MABrider said:

Smurf?

Paul

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by alpengeistno3 at 9/12/13 10:57:54 PM
The whole thing seemed pretty lame, until the last part (my ears "perked up"). New restraints for Anaconda would be a welcome change. I wonder if they are just going to clean up the lake and bring back the water spray effect (it has been off for several seasons now.) Seems like a much "cheaper" nostalgic change.

Volcano could be more interesting. Maybe the rumored dual loading station could finally be happening?

Paul

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by antikythera antikythera Profile at 9/13/13 1:56:57 AM
KD is my homepark when I'm too frustrated to call SFA my home park so its nice to hear these things. I've been going to KD many years but I am too young to remember Candy Apple Grove or Safari Village. Judging from all the people's comments I'm always reading on Facebook this is exactly what people want from KD so CF is listening.

Volcano desperately needs that new loading station so hopefully they do something to alleviate the issue. There is no reason why everyone has to wait for the loading and unloading cycle of Volcano because of poor design. It's also nice to hear something is coming to Anaconda it's one of my favorite rides by Arrow, no matter what people say. I'm also looking forward to the fountain upgrades. That area already is improving and is one of my favorites on a summer night. Im excited by all this. KD just better deliver.

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile at 9/13/13 9:20:54 AM
At first I was a little let down by the announcement esp with KD saying its the 40th anniversary. I guess technically it is as the the Safari opened in 1974 and the remaining park opened in 1075. So I hope next year we get the new coaster we need.

Anyway, back to this announcement. Like I said at first I was let down hoping for more. The more I have sat back and thought about it the more I love these changes. Taking the park back and remembering what it has been through its history is a good thing. This year, IMO, has been a struggle at KD with down rides and just a bad over all feel. I hope this brings it all back again.

The blue ice cream I do remember from a long time ago and I believe it will be a hit.

The fountains will be a nice touch. It is already a highly photographed place and looks amazing as it is and this can only make it that much better.

Candle Apple Grove was a nice touch and it will be cool to see what other surprises they have in store throughout the year.

Like others the biggest things I saw were the changes to Anaconda and Volcano. I hope Anaconda gets a nice new coat of paint, take it back to the black and yellow. Bring back the water effect for the tunnel. Lets get lap bars...lol

As for Volcano, there was talk last year of changing the station around so maybe this is the year it finally happens. The idea I keep hearing and makes sense would be to move the load station to the current exit. Get rid of the shop. That side of the station looks to already be set up for dual load. Then when you exit you have to go up and over through the current entrance. Close that upper area off and make that a shop. IDK...may not be practical but seems like a solution. The only issue would be the actual line as we all know how long it can get. They would have to do some work on that side I guess. IDK, we will see...lol

Lee

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/13/13 9:42:52 AM
PkD4Life said:
the remaining park opened in 1075.

WOW!!! Now *THAT'S* an old park!!! :)

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by ray_p ray_p Profile at 9/13/13 10:21:06 AM
Coaster316 said:

Just say no to singing mushrooms. They always scared me as a kid.

How could these lovable guys be scary? :)

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 9/13/13 11:19:30 AM
I think this is a fabulous announcement. Paramount and the former Cedar Fair ownerships liked to remove things that made the parks special and eventually make them sterile. Here's a way to bring back some of what made Kings Dominion a special place. Matt Ouimet surely seems to understand that and I have really liked what he has done so far for the chain.

Maybe this is a two part celebration since the park officially opened in 1975. Go back to the past in 2014 and look to the future for 2015 with a major attraction to cap it all off.

Though I feel that Kings Island was gypped for their 40th as this is something they should have done. All they got was a new wave pool and a rebranded water park.

G-Dog

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/13/13 1:33:53 PM
PkD4Life said:

As for Volcano, there was talk last year of changing the station around so maybe this is the year it finally happens. The idea I keep hearing and makes sense would be to move the load station to the current exit. Get rid of the shop. That side of the station looks to already be set up for dual load. Then when you exit you have to go up and over through the current entrance. Close that upper area off and make that a shop. IDK...may not be practical but seems like a solution. The only issue would be the actual line as we all know how long it can get. They would have to do some work on that side I guess. IDK, we will see...lol

Lee

I dunno, i think the current set up is fine. What they could do is free up some space by cutting the ramps and replacing them with stairs. The stairs would go to the middle platform for loading (the two sides would be separated by a divider to keep people from jumping over to the other side) and what is currently the loading side would be turned into an exit for one side, where riders would take another set of stairs up over the station to the gift shop area. The other exit side would remain more or less the same, just closer to the middle. And of course the shop may have to be moved so the station can be widened to handle the additional platform and track.

* This post was modified at 9/13/13 1:49:11 PM *

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile at 9/13/13 1:47:19 PM
beastmaster said:

PkD4Life said:
the remaining park opened in 1075.

WOW!!! Now *THAT'S* an old park!!! :)

LOL...yea I missed that one. :)

KD has now said they will make another announcement today at 3.

Lee

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile at 9/13/13 3:03:13 PM
Announcement was that 305 will be back up and running this weekend to the public.

Lee

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 9/16/13 3:27:41 PM
Schrecken said:

Hopefully they are talking about doing more than just paint for Anaconda - new restraints would be awesome. Also, no idea what they are going to do to Volcano, since IMO the only thing that's really "wrong" with it is that it is such a slow loader, but I don't see how they would remedy that.

These two things really caught my attention too. New trains for anaconda perhaps? That's one coaster i wouldn't feel to safe without an OTSR, however unfounded, that last corkscrew feels like 4mph in the front seat!

Volcano, agree, the best way to improve by far would be improved capacity. It's been ages since i've rode due to that issue. I never get to KD early, normally an evening trip.

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/16/13 3:39:09 PM
Someone on another site who's pretty reliable say the "improvement" for Volcano is a third train.
Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/17/13 6:34:04 PM
3rd train would be nice, but not going to do much if they don't change the current station set up. As for the 3rd train, is it fully intact or was it so cannibalized they need to buy a new train to replace it? I don't think I saw the 3rd train in the 'shed' when I was there last year.
Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by Coaster316 at 11/14/13 10:23:03 AM
ray_p said:

If they bring back the Singing Mushrooms, I will immediately put Kings Dominion on my "to do list" for 2014. :)

Pack your bags...

https://www.kingsdominion.com/celebration/the-latest/press-release

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by ray_p ray_p Profile at 11/14/13 11:33:15 AM
Coaster316 said:

Pack your bags...

I will keep you posted Jeff as to when I plan on coming down. Gotta stay true to my word. :)

The return of the Mushrooms is going to be awesome. I am actually more excited about this than riding I-305 for the first time!

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by MABrider MABrider Profile at 11/14/13 12:47:30 PM
ray_p said:

Coaster316 said:

Pack your bags...

I will keep you posted Jeff as to when I plan on coming down. Gotta stay true to my word. :)

The return of the Mushrooms is going to be awesome. I am actually more excited about this than riding I-305 for the first time!

Can I crash the party?

I'd like to try; it would mark 4 years since I was at KD. A visit to BGW would be a must, too.

Mike B.
Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by Coaster316 at 11/14/13 1:53:17 PM
MABrider said:

Can I crash the party?

I'd like to try; it would mark 4 years since I was at KD. A visit to BGW would be a must, too.

Definitely, Mike. Would be great to see you again.

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by frontrow frontrow Profile at 11/14/13 10:14:42 PM
Singing mushrooms? That sounds like an attraction that would have been popular in the 1960's. LOL.
Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by Tomes at 11/15/13 12:08:10 PM
I have mixed feelings about the 2014 plans. On one hand, I definitely agree that these are positive changes and that the atmosphere is important, so bringing back old popular attractions is cool. On the other hand, since this is their 40th celebration and they haven't added a major thrill ride since 2010, I was kind of expecting a big roller coaster or even a couple of Max Air/Skyhawk kind of stuff. Kings Dominion is an excellent thrill Park IMO, almost in the same league as CP, SFMM, SFGadv, etc. But there are still SO many kinds of coasters they could use.. Like A standup, Vekoma or B&M flyer, Daredevil Dive type, or anything with beyond-90° drop, a killer woody since their woodies are average-minus (imo), a dive machine, or anything completely unique like a Maverick/Verboten/Full Throttle etc. So is the roller coaster community not disappointed?

(I mean, if they did something big last year and now they would have this, I'd be happy, but no major rides since I305 and then this stuff is a bit disappointing to me, I guess)

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by ray_p ray_p Profile at 11/15/13 12:19:53 PM
Tomes said:

But there are still SO many kinds of coasters they could use.. Like A standup....

Did they convert Shockwave to a sit-down while I wasn't looking? ;)

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by Tomes at 11/15/13 3:12:03 PM
Ha, I forgot!! Yep Kings Dominion is awesome, and unlike most people, I LOVE Shockwave.
Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by Coaster316 at 11/15/13 3:33:43 PM
Tomes said:

So is the roller coaster community not disappointed?

I certainly don't speak for the entire community...but personally no, I'm not disappointed. I don't think a park with as many coasters as KD needs to add a new one more than every 3-4 years, but certainly can understand disappointment from those who want more, as well.

But, I just want to point out that KD's video that introduced the celebration and I think some other of their promotional pieces says "Beginning 2014", which provides hope that 2015...the actual 40th anniversary of the rides park...could mean some great new addition. Fingers crossed, anyway.

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile at 11/18/13 9:29:02 AM
But, I just want to point out that KD's video that introduced the celebration and I think some other of their promotional pieces says "Beginning 2014", which provides hope that 2015...the actual 40th anniversary of the rides park...could mean some great new addition. Fingers crossed, anyway.

The original promotion stated that it would be the 40th anniversary that went from 2014 through 2015 as in 1974 is when the Safari opened and the actual theme park opened in 1975. So two years to cover everything.

I love what they are planning for 2014 as it will bring a great look back to the park with 2015 hopefully being the year we get a new coaster.

Lee

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/18/13 1:09:33 PM
I hope the singing mushroom stuff is staying thru 2015, I don't think KD is in my plans this year and I'd like to see the nostalgic stuff in person. Plus it would be a waste to dust the old stuff off for just a year and pack them away. Perhaps the park might keep them out permanently?
Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by Tomes at 11/18/13 1:14:49 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

I hope the singing mushroom stuff is staying thru 2015, I don't think KD is in my plans this year and I'd like to see the nostalgic stuff in person. Plus it would be a waste to dust the old stuff off for just a year and pack them away. Perhaps the park might keep them out permanently?

I'm pretty sure that's the plan. They said that on Facebook, as a response to someone who asked.

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by Coaster316 at 12/13/13 3:42:09 PM
More news from Kings Dominion regarding the 40th Anniversary:

The floral clock is being rebuilt in its original location near the carousel. Seriously, for those of us into these sorts of things, KD is hitting a home run of epic proportions this year and they've said there is more to come.

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/13/13 4:28:15 PM
Tomes said:

I'm pretty sure that's the plan. They said that on Facebook, as a response to someone who asked.

Good to know, thanks.

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 12/14/13 8:52:20 PM
PkD4Life said:

Bring back the water effect for the tunnel. Lets get lap bars...lol

i know all the stories about schwarzkopf stopping coasters mid loop with the lap bar and whatnot, but i would think twice about Anaconda with lap bars. That thing does about 6 mph through the corkscrews up front!!!

It really is a great looking coaster what with the lake and all. If they get a good color scheme and make it more enjoyable with some smoother trains, it could be a hit.

Volcano loading improvements would be great. I haven't ridden it in years being adverse to the always ridiculous line.

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by antikythera antikythera Profile at 12/15/13 6:38:20 PM
I sat through a Q&A at an ACE event with management and they hinted at a lot of things returning with the full backing of corporate. I probably can't divulge everything they mentioned but they are defitinly taking in people's suggestions more than any other park has in a long time which I think is going to benefit KD for a very long time.
Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by alpengeistno3 at 12/15/13 8:31:11 PM
This just in from KD's Facebook page.

On the 3rd day of Christmas, #KD40 gave to me: Unlimited Dinosaurs Alive visits for 2014 Gold and Platinum Passholders! Travel back 65 million years ago as many times as you’d like with your family now that Dinosaurs Alive will be included for free with your Gold and Platinum Season Pass beginning in 2014! Don’t forget: Our Buy Now Pay Later program ends soon! (end quote)

While still not a ride, a new perk for Platinum pass holders is always a winner. Maybe I will finally have a reason to check out those dumb dinos in the spring.

Paul

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by antikythera antikythera Profile at 12/15/13 9:55:56 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

This just in from KD's Facebook page.

On the 3rd day of Christmas, #KD40 gave to me: Unlimited Dinosaurs Alive visits for 2014 Gold and Platinum Passholders! Travel back 65 million years ago as many times as you’d like with your family now that Dinosaurs Alive will be included for free with your Gold and Platinum Season Pass beginning in 2014! Don’t forget: Our Buy Now Pay Later program ends soon! (end quote)

While still not a ride, a new perk for Platinum pass holders is always a winner. Maybe I will finally have a reason to check out those dumb dinos in the spring.

Paul

I wasn't overly impressed when I went opening weekend but it'll be nice to know I have a place to relax if the weather gets hot during the summer. Got to love that platinum pass.

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by antikythera antikythera Profile at 12/15/13 10:00:32 PM
Coaster316 said:

Tomes said:

So is the roller coaster community not disappointed?

I certainly don't speak for the entire community...but personally no, I'm not disappointed. I don't think a park with as many coasters as KD needs to add a new one more than every 3-4 years, but certainly can understand disappointment from those who want more, as well.

When I spoke to park management they mentioned thy have big plans long term and hinted at making 2015 the true year they start going bigger. 2014 is only the tease. Since corporate has their back on this endeavor they hope to have a fully robust park by 2020. I can see Kings Dominion being in the league of Cedar Point by then. I truly do. Cedar Fair as a whole is on the rise.

* This post was modified at 12/15/13 10:02:18 PM *

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/16/13 10:03:01 AM
That is great news. I love the park and am glad corporate is backing it up. Well, I hope they can tell us already what the planned changes for Anaconda and Volcano will be. I mean yes, they probably aren't taking anaconda down any time soon, but it sits on some decent sized land and the current restraints aren't very comfortable especially after the mcbr. Volcano, other than the 3rd train, I would like to know how they intend to speed up the loading. I'd prefer a dual loading station, but I am not sure if it's feasible and if it would require a long term reconstruction of the mountain.
Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by alpengeistno3 at 12/23/13 9:51:41 AM
Looks like we have "something" regarding Volcano's improvement. The text doesn't say anything new, but it would appear they are building a new entrance (or exit) to the mountain to allow them to flip the loading platform to the other side (like Rebel Yell's transformation in the mid 90's)

On the 10th day of Christmas, ‪#‎KD40‬ gave to me: Improvements to Volcano - The Blast Coaster. In 2014, guests will experience improved and enhanced entrance and exit lines resulting in more riders per hour who will be able to experience this signature park attraction. We will also begin a multi-year project to restore the look of Kings Dominion’s iconic mountain, which will include concrete replacement and fresh paint. (pic didn't work, so here is the link.

On the 10th day of Christmas, #KD40 gave to me: Improvements to Volcano - The Blast Coaster. In 2014, guests will experience improved and enhanced entrance and exit lines resulting in more riders per hour who will be able to experience this signature park attraction. We will also begin a multi-year project to restore the look of Kings Dominion’s iconic mountain, which will include concrete replacement and fresh paint.

Kings Dominion Facebook

* This post was modified at 12/23/13 9:55:44 AM *

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by alpengeistno3 at 12/27/13 4:09:28 PM
Guess all the wishes for new Anaconda restraints/trains can be put to rest. (Sounds like the exact same colors, which IMO isn't necessarily a "bad" thing. The original "puke green" color was TERRIBLE!)

On the 11th day of Christmas, #KD40 gave to me: A fresh paint job for the Anaconda! During the off-season, we’ll be sprucing up the look of the Anaconda roller coaster by repainting the entire ride. The lake below the ride is already drained and work is underway to have the ride ready for the 2014 operating season. And the colors? Well, the ride columns will be green, the supports for the track red and the train’s running rails yellow.

Paul

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/28/13 1:56:05 AM
Well, can't say i am too surprised about that. Also if they repaint it, is that enough to keep that coaster there for maybe 2-5yrs? I mean i kinda doubt they'd pull the coaster after a full repaint a year later. I still think anaconda's land would be a good spot for a new coaster, but if it isnt going yet, then my other hope is they knock down hurler for a good gci coaster.

* This post was modified at 12/28/13 1:57:17 AM *

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by alpengeistno3 at 12/28/13 5:35:46 PM
Remember, Drachen Fire was painted right after it was shuttered. Supposedly, for exhibition to potential buyers. At least it looked good on the way to the recycling plant.

Anaconda may have its flaws, but it does have several things going for it that KD is not willing to part with. 1. it is the only looper in the park with a 48 in. height requirement. 2. it is one of the most reliable rides in the park. 3. Being a standard Arrow looper, parts are pretty easy to come by. (the large multi loopers may be dwindling, but there are still plenty of small ones around that use the same parts.)

I have to assume that removing all of those footers from the lake would not be an easy (or cheap) feat. It did take them almost 2 years to install the Conda there in the 1st place. If they do decide to scrap it, it is unlikely that a new ride would take that place unless it is the end of the lake for good.

Paul

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/28/13 10:44:11 PM
Hem, very good points.^
Then again, at least KD has more rides than BGW does, so technically the loss of anaconda wouldn't be as bad as Wolf was before vb was built.
Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by antikythera antikythera Profile at 12/29/13 8:02:14 PM
I see Hurler going before anything else. Surprisingly, Shockwave is their most reliable ride in the park and Anaconda still has charm as a starting looper coaster for the little ones. There i s nothing redeeming about Hurler when Grizzly is right next door and I see more families and children ride it than they do Hurler. Hurler sits on a much more usable land than Anaconda in my opinion. Alpen is right in saying that it would be a pain and a half to remove all those footers in the lake when they could just tear down Hurler ala Son of Beast style (highly doubt someone would would buy the damn thing).

Just my $.02.

Re: Kings Dominion 2014 Celebrating 40 years by EJD1984 at 1/2/14 12:37:03 PM
I grew up going to Kings Dominion in the 1970s and 80s. I would go down to Richmond for summer vacations to my Uncle's house. One summer (1983?) my aunt worked in the management offices, and she got my cousin and I in for free M-F. It was two weeks of sheer joy. :-)

Personally, I really wish they would move the entire Water Park behind the Rebel Yell and bring back the full size Lake Charles. There was a great effect at night having the runner lights of the Rebel Yell reflect off of the water (wish I had a picture of that).

Seems like that the park lost some of it's class, character and charm when most of the lake was drained.

Now it's more of a pond.