Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps?

What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps?

Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile

Posted:
9/9/13 at
10:31:54 PM

I am going to be designing a park map for a hypothetical amusement park I'm making up for Senior Thesis, and I need to know what you guys like/dislike about park maps you've seen/used. Faculty may ask questions about how my design will be different from other park maps, and I would like some solid ideas to come back at that with.

-Josh

Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 9/9/13 11:06:27 PM
Unrealistic proportions. I understand you have to make the rides pop and it's hard to accurately display a coaster with a few different inversions, but when Grizzly looks like it's just as tall as 305 we have a problem.

I also don't like when the map isn't folded. BGW does this and KD started it this year too. Sure, it seems trivial, but I suck at folding and when I can't put it in my pocket for reference later (yes, I still look at the map sometimes), it's a problem.

Plus, I keep a collection of maps in my visor all year and then sort them out at the end of the season. KD screwed that up this year...

Can you tell I'm not bitter at KD at all this year...

You should check out the Hersheypark Connoisseur page on Facebook. We had a brief conversation about how maps should be. Might give you some good insight into our likes and dislikes more.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hersheyparkconnoisseurs/

* This post was modified at 9/9/13 11:07:27 PM *

Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by boesball at 9/9/13 11:11:32 PM
Six Flags maps destroy cf in terms of quality. Look at theirs. Also include ride descriptions.
Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 9/10/13 8:13:05 AM
Cedar Fair maps suck not because they are cartoony but the over-exaggeration of how they draw the coasters and the flat rides get lost at how small they make them. Plus they look cluttered.

Best maps are by Citigraph (they did CGA's map this year) and Amusement Media. Not sure who does the Six Flags maps but they are also very good.

The maps do not need to be extremely detailed like what Citigraph does but easy enough for a guest to find what they're looking for.

G-Dog

* This post was modified at 9/10/13 8:23:09 AM *

Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by ray_p ray_p Profile at 9/10/13 9:38:34 AM
I agree with the others who say the CF maps suck. They used to be nice up until the early to mid-90's, but whoever does them now I am definitely not a fan of.

I have the maps of Disneyland and DCA hanging in my cube here at work and I think those are amazing. The amount of detail is just incredible.

And while we're on the topic, Waldameer has a nice map with one glaring exception. The Steel Dragon looks like someone used a stylus on an iPad drawing program and said "Eh, that looks good enough". It really stands out on an otherwise nice park map.

Not sure if anyone else will agree with me, but good topic here!

Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 9/10/13 10:44:51 AM
I agree that Disney makes some fantastic maps. I think they are the best in the game, as far as big chains go.

If you want to see a collection of maps from the last few decades, check out http://www.themeparkbrochures.net. It's a neat website to see how maps and brochures have evolved over time.

* This post was modified at 9/10/13 10:46:14 AM *

Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by boesball at 9/10/13 1:10:50 PM
I agree. I like that site for watching parks mature and grow over time.
Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/10/13 1:12:25 PM
I don't mind maps (of any kind) that are out of proportion with the distances and heights, etc.

But for park maps in general, it's generally ass-backwards as to the size of anything that is not a walkway. Make the walkways larger on the map...with full "imaging" as to where they will literally lead you...make everything else smaller and use clear text for attractions/shops/shows and everything else. Scale doesn't really matter.

What I find lacking in many parks are clearly marked walkways, so you have to check the map. And often that is not much help to let you see where a path leads. I've asked directions a number of times in new to me parks, and I'm good at reading maps, dammit!

Also, I hate when surprised by a dead end.
Don't you?

------
I visited the San Diego zoo this past March, and it had the best map I'd ever seen. It's a very large park. They have posts along walkways with blue numbers/letters that are matched to the map to use as reference points to know just where you are. And they indicate whether you will be climbing or descending hilly pathways, plus how severe the slope is. Quite nice.

Mike B.
Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by ray_p ray_p Profile at 9/10/13 2:29:33 PM
Rollercoaster_freak220 said:

I am going to be designing a park map for a hypothetical amusement park I'm making up for Senior Thesis, and I need to know what you guys like/dislike about park maps you've seen/used. Faculty may ask questions about how my design will be different from other park maps, and I would like some solid ideas to come back at that with.
-Josh

Josh,

I have a silly question to ask you about this project you are doing. Are you going to be designing the map using graphics software, or are you drawing it by hand and scanning it in? I’ve tried several ways to create my own maps (Illustrator, SketchbookPro and even Adobe Ideas on the iPad) and I just can’t seem to get good results.

Good luck with your mapping!

Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 9/10/13 2:53:54 PM
It will certainly be challenging, especially since I will be making up an entire park, instead of having a real-life reference, meaning I'll have to make every decision down to how many bathrooms there will be, and their location. The final file will be Illustrator. I think what I'll do is draw it up using photoshop tools (using my drawing tablet), and then move that over into illustrator and trace over it and fine-tune it with the pen tool and such plus adding in any text, icons and logos.

I have to be finished with the entire project by some time in April. Along with the map, I'll be designing some marketing material (ads, etc..) as well. Like I said, it will certainly be a challenge.

-Josh

Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by ray_p ray_p Profile at 9/10/13 2:59:19 PM
Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you! Good luck with the project and if you feel like sharing the final product, you'd have at least one person here that would enjoy seeing it. :)
Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/10/13 11:30:03 PM
I want to agree with the above: the CF park maps suck. How the heck do they make Anaconda look like 2/3 as tall as I305. The over exaggeration is too much. I don't expect them to be accurate, but they could take a cue from BGT and Sea World as theirs are at least sensible but not quite detailed. It shouldn't be that hard to put a little effort into making a better designed map can it?
Was KD drawn a bit decently under the Paramount years?
Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by alpengeistno3 at 9/11/13 12:36:29 AM
While not the Paramount years and rather basic, I felt like the 80's style KD maps were very accurate. I never felt like I was lost when using it back then.

101_0940

Paul

Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/11/13 12:49:24 AM
I see. Nice! Agreed, that flat 2d view is probably better than the ones CF prints. The anaconda one is the worst imo. The others are just slightly tolerable.
Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 9/11/13 8:54:35 AM
^^Kings Island used that same style in the mid-80's. Those were some of the best maps back then.

G-Dog

Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by Coaster316 at 9/11/13 9:10:30 AM
I'll add to the love of those pre-Paramount maps. As a kid, I used to put it in front of me while riding a stationary bike and pretend I was riding around the park.

Also agree with Mike on the need for a map to make the paths clear. That's more important to me than the attractions themselves.

Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/11/13 10:07:32 AM
Make the smoking areas identifiable. I can never find them at the CF parks - I have to get in the vicinity and follow the smell or ask an employee.

Also if you are making up a park I'd like one with a Dive coaster, a strata launch, a B&M hyper, a B&M invert, a Huss Frisbee, a Gyro drop, a racing woodie, a floorless, an Intamin giga and a pre-fab woodie. I would so move near that park! :-)

Jen

Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/12/13 12:58:19 AM
I actually collect park maps. Since 2000, I have saved every park map from every park that I visited. I very seldom buy souvenirs, expect on ride photos. Park maps and photos are my souvenirs. We have 8 photo albums full of our amusement park travels. For me, a nice looking front cover is important. I don't like park maps without that front cover. I have my maps filed and organized. My kids and I frequently look through them.
Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 12/12/13 10:10:31 PM
Okay, guys. I need ride names for my park, Chapman Gardens. There's no strict theme, except there's some Johnny Appleseed stuff. Here is a pic of the map in its current state (sorry it's kinda small.) Long way to go, and I need to stop spending precious design time trying to come up with names, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by ktujon ktujon Profile at 12/13/13 12:41:24 AM
how about an apple core in the center could be like a gravitron ride, and a wacky worm kiddie coaster
Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? Photo by antikythera antikythera Profile at 12/13/13 9:58:09 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

While not the Paramount years and rather basic, I felt like the 80's style KD maps were very accurate. I never felt like I was lost when using it back then.

101_0940

Paul

Kings Dominion just posted a map from 1978 on their Facebook page. While I've noted before I hate exaggerated designs and convoluted messes, this map actually grew on me to become quite a beautiful masterpiece. Funny, how they downgraded to a simple design shown above a few years later.

User Submitted Picture

* This post was modified at 12/13/13 10:00:17 AM *

Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/13/13 4:26:58 PM
Now if only CF could do something halfway decent as that ^.
Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 12/18/13 10:27:41 AM
Even those early Taft park maps are a heck of a lot better than the current CF park maps.

G-Dog

Re: What do you Like/Dislike about Park Maps? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 4/18/14 12:56:04 AM
My project is finally complete! SO very glad it's over! You can take a look at my work via the link below. :)

-Josh

Senior Thesis Exhibition