Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > First Ever CP Trip TR 9-7-13

First Ever CP Trip TR 9-7-13

jason_t

Posted:
9/9/13 at
6:30:10 AM

Hello All,

When I was 9, I first went to SFMM and rode the Revolution as my first upside down roller coaster and I was hooked on this hobby. The next year when I was 10 I rode Goliath at SFMM and thought it was the best. Then, I saw a documentary on Cedar Point and for the first time ever, I heard of Millennium Force. I knew I had to go there. 13 years later I finally got to live out a childhood dream.

A buddy of mine and I flew from Southern California on Friday- arriving in Canton at 10:30pm. We checked in to Hotel Breakers at about Midnight then went to Steak & Shake. $4 meals- are you kidding me!?

On Saturday the park didn't open until 1 but with early admission the plan was to get in at Noon. The gates opened at 11:50am and we headed to get our Fastlane Plus wristbands, which was a great investment (more thoughts on this at the end).

Millennium Force was the obvious first ride. We arrived at Noon facing a 25 minute wait with two train operation (no Fastlane during the early admission & there was some type of Expo at the park where people were already in the park for hours). We met 2 really nice people from Buffalo, who seemed to be coaster enthusiasts but I didn't get there names. Anyways, WOW. Millennium Force delivered! It surpassed the ridiculous expectations I put on it and it's my new #1. We would come back and ride 2 more times later in the day with less than 10 minute waits thanks to Fastlane.

The next ride was Maverick. This ride packs a punch and shows that size doesn't matter. Pure fun and my 2nd favorite ride in the park. This was still in early admission so we faced a 15 minute wait, we would come back later in the day to ride it twice with no wait thanks to Fastlane. I wish there was a ride like this in California. I could have ridden this all day.

Top Thrill Dragster was the first ride we took advantage of with Fastlane. We skipped an advertised hour+ wait with a 10 minute wait. Having been on Excelerator before, I knew what to expect but the speed and power was great. Too short time wise to consider a great roller coaster. It's an experience for sure! We tried to ride a second time later in the day but we experienced a lengthy delay and decided to leave the line.

Magnum was a walk on regardless of Fastlane or not. I can understand the sentimental reasons for the love this coaster gets. The 3rd hill, pretzel turn and return trip are awesome but the roughness kept us from multiple rides. It is amazing how technology has improved. Call me spoiled by smoothness but I would love to see a re-profiling of the track on this one.

Next up was Gemini, we didn't get to race and right before the helix I was thrown violently into the side of the train- should have braced for it. Nice old classic ride.

Heading to the front of the park, we hit Wicked Twister, sitting in the last row. 5 minute wait with Fastlane, I really enjoyed the 4th launch.

Gatekeeper had a posted 75 minute wait but we had 2 rides- 1 on each side within 10 minutes. The turnover on the first drop sitting Lake side was so cool. This is a fun ride with some really cool elements. I prefer X2 to it just due to X2's sheer power and the seats spinning. I could ride this B&M all day but it's definitely a tier or two down from Millennium, Maverick, and Dragster. Absolutely gorgeous design incorporating the front of the park.

Raptor checks in as my #3 Inverted coaster behind Montu and the Dueling Dragons. It's a reminder that B&M's used to design rides with power. I hope the Banshee is like this (even though I'll probably never ride it), this was my favorite B&M at CP.

Mantis was our surprise of the day. I had heard so many negative things about this ride, I prepared the worst. The only disappointing thing about Mantis was the trim on the first drop (UGH!). I hate the pressure on my feet I get when I ride a stand-up coaster (I get the same thing on Riddler's) but going over the water is cool and it really seemed like they wedged that ride in there.

Total Rides Ridden:
Millenium & Maverick: 3 each
Gatekeeper & Power Tower: 2 each
Magnum, Gemini, Dragster, Wicked Twister, Raptor, and Mantis one time each.

We didn't ride Blue Streak because when we went over there it was closed due to rain. We didn't ride Iron Dragon or Corkscrew because of lack of interest. We didn't ride Mean Streak because of lack of interest in wanting to go to a chiropractor.

My favorite rides at CP
1) Millennium Force
2) Maverick
3) Top Thrill Dragster
4) Raptor
5) Gatekeeper

Thoughts on Fastlane: As previously noted, we decided to get Fastlane Plus wrist bands. These worked out amazingly for us and made the trip memorable. The system saved us at least 12 hours of wait time. My buddy and I aren't rich by any means. We saved up and were able to visit and take advantage of the system. If I was a park guest who did not opt for the Fastlane, I would despise the system. It lengthens the wait for attractions and I know it is annoying to see others get to go ahead of you.

I don't think there is a perfect way to do a Cut to the Front of the Line system. Disney has a very good (and monetary fair) system at their parks. I definitely felt people glaring at us as we entered right in front of them- and I don't blame them! However, it turns out, with most lines being over an hour, and having come from across the country, Fastlane Plus was crucial to us having an amazing experience.

Overall, we had an amazing experience at Cedar Point. I would have ridden more but my buddy got some headaches related to riding the coasters and I felt bad and didn't want to go marathon coasters as he was in pain. 16 rides though was a great day! I can't wait to come back.

Thanks for reading the book!,
Jason

Re: First Ever CP Trip TR 9-7-13 by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 9/9/13 12:13:11 PM
Awesome TR. It's a shame you didn't ride all the rides. I think it's fun just to ride stuff even when it might not be too thrilling. I get passing the ones you passed up though.

I too didn't feel like Mantis lived up to the hate that ride gets. It has an awesome color scheme too!

I must be crazy but, Magnum is my favorite ride in the park. I built up MF WAY too much in my mind. I feel like if I would have ridden that years ago, I would have thought it was the best thing ever. After riding over 100 different coasters, and falling in love with B&M hypers and conventional airtime, the coasters that are like MF, I-305, ect, just don't do as much for me as Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, and Intimidator. All preference! I felt like Magnum was Steel Force on steroids. Somuch ejector air, and I am now bummed thinking about it because we only rode it once :(

Glad you had fun, and I agree with 100% of what you said about the fast lane plus. If it wasn't offered I would have approached the park differently. I went with friends during memorial day weekend, so it was a MUST buy for us. We easily saved ourselves 10-12 hours and if that doesn't make it worth purchasing, I don't know what does.

Glad you had a good time! It took me years to get there too! Hopefully they build something big to get us to go back.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: First Ever CP Trip TR 9-7-13 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/9/13 1:23:40 PM
Great TR. I live in Southwestern Pa. Cedar Point is only a 3 1/2 hour drive for us. I've been going to Cedar Point since 1989. Some years I'll spend 2 or 3 days at Cedar Point, then maybe go a year or 2 without visiting. Cedar Point has always been a crowded park with long lines. You're right about the fast lane. It does make the wait times almost double of what they used to be. In your case, coming all the way from California, it would definitely be beneficial to purchase that upgrade. In fact WHEN I finally do make it to Six Flags Magic Mountain, I'll be sure to purchase a flash pass. I've been to Cedar Point so many times that I don't see that upgrade necessary for me. I can usually go during a time where the crowds are small. I totally agree with you on Millennium Force and Maverick. I do have a higher opinion about Magnum and Gatekeeper. Too bad you didn't get to ride Blue Streak; its running great this year. I'm glad you finally got to visit and have a great time at a great park.

* This post was modified at 9/9/13 1:25:09 PM *

Re: First Ever CP Trip TR 9-7-13 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/9/13 5:05:37 PM
Nice TR - Glad you guys had a good time! I used the Fast Lane for the first time this year and I will never go to CP without it again. It is worth every penny if you are traveling a good distance and only have a day at the park.

You should have taken a spin on Iron Dragon even if only to experience it - suspended coasters are a dying breed and soon they will be extinct. Too bad you missed Blue Streak - its a good coaster.

Where did you ride Gatekeeper? Front or back?

Jen

Re: First Ever CP Trip TR 9-7-13 by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/9/13 9:46:01 PM
Two things that stood out for me on your trip report. You did not ride Mean Streak?? This wooden coaster is highly under rated!! It is running great this year. You just have to make sure you sit in the front seat so it is smooth.

You also mentioned that you would never get to ride Banshee. Why not?? It is only a 3 hour drive from Cedar Point. You have to get to kings Island to ride the legendary Beast at night also!!
Re: First Ever CP Trip TR 9-7-13 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/9/13 9:49:11 PM
chitlins73 said:

You also mentioned that you would never get to ride Banshee. Why not?? It is only a 3 hour drive from Cedar Point. You have to get to kings Island to ride the legendary Beast at night also!!

Because he lives in California, LOL.

Jen

Re: First Ever CP Trip TR 9-7-13 by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 9/9/13 10:16:56 PM
chitlins73 said:

Two things that stood out for me on your trip report. You did not ride Mean Streak?? This wooden coaster is highly under rated!! It is running great this year. You just have to make sure you sit in the front seat so it is smooth.

Totally agree with this. I was expecting the worst so i rode in the front this year, and it was quite good. To put it in perspective, Magnum was a bit too rough for me (different kind of rough though), but Mean Streak did not bother me. If i was with another coaster freak i would've marathoned that sucker since there was no line!

Cool trip report. Surprised you skipped Iron Dragon, if only to ride one of the few remaining suspended coasters - also short line. It's far from amazing, but i enjoyed it. Corkscrew on the other hand, yeah, nothing to see here! Although it is a nice aesthetic piece over the walkthrough. Blue Streak was pretty fun too, although i preferred the comet at hershey as a comparison.

Re: First Ever CP Trip TR 9-7-13 by jason_t at 9/10/13 4:24:14 AM
I want to clarify a few things about my trip report.

I intended to ride everything and marathon as many coasters as possible, but quite frankly, my buddy couldn't handle it. At that point, being the "enthusiast" I chose the rides I wanted to ride the most. I wish I had gotten on Blue Streak- it shut down in the rain. It would have been really nice to ride Corkscrew. I know suspended coasters are a dying breed but I LOVE Ninja at SFMM so missing out on Iron Dragon isn't something I am losing sleep about.

About Mean Streak- it looks beautiful! But, we had spoken to a few people while on the brake run on Magnum and they said they had just gone on Mean Streak and it was rough. My buddy had the headache and we both thought Magnum was rough so there was no way I was convincing him to ride it and I didn't want to do rides alone and leave him on the sidelines.

We rode Gatekeeper in the last row on each side. I sat outside seat on the lake side.

One of the best things about our hobby is that there is a significant difference of opinions on different rides. I LOVED Gatekeeper, it is a gorgeous, smooth ride with interesting elements. However, when I "rate" rides I say: if 2 coasters were next to each other, which one would I rather ride. My preference of Millennium Force, Maverick, and Dragster as my favorite rides there, followed by Raptor, Gatekeeper, and Magnum is not an indictment of those latter rides, it's just what I would rather ride. Every enthusiast has their individual favorites and NO ONE SINGLE PERSON is right.

I have now visited SFMM, SFDK, SFNE, CP, Knott's the Disneyland Resort, USH, IOA, BGT, and have done all the rides in Vegas. My list of parks is not as extensive as many as you but I feel my knowledge of coasters is on par with the most seasoned Coaster vets on this board. I don't foresee adding a lot of credits to my list any time soon but I love lurking on this board and appreciate the advice members of this board gave in the lead up to the trip.

This is a truly special hobby and I am so happy to have lived out a childhood dream this weekend.

We should, as a community, focus less on the rivalries between enthusiast groups, stop complaining if a ride needs a little paint, and just enjoy what got us into this hobby- the thrill of riding a machine screaming our lungs out, hands up!

Thanks,
Jason

Re: First Ever CP Trip TR 9-7-13 by ray_p ray_p Profile at 9/10/13 9:53:34 AM
jason_t said:

Every enthusiast has their individual favorites and NO ONE SINGLE PERSON is right.

There's a lot of people out there that will disagree with that statement, and that's why I stay clear of them. Nice to see someone else who respects the fact that each of us is entitled to enjoy what we want without being told that we are wrong.

We should, as a community, focus less on the rivalries between enthusiast groups, stop complaining if a ride needs a little paint, and just enjoy what got us into this hobby- the thrill of riding a machine screaming our lungs out, hands up!

There's rivalries between enthusiast groups? ;)

I agree whole heartedly with you Jason. I became a "Bitter Old Hag" at one point (which I believe came shortly after the closure of my home park Geauga Lake). I even said I wanted to retire from the hobby because I was so sick of hearing people squabble about things on internet message forums and being told that I need to "stop thinking like an enthusiast". Thankfully I decided that wasn't for me and I have been out there enjoying parks and coasters more than ever. If people want to make inside jokes, discuss the cons of a park's new addition because of poor ROI and pick on newbies on other forums, that's fine. They have their place and it's good for a laugh to see how seriously some people take themselves and this hobby.

So just go out there and have fun. Life's too short to be bitter and angry all the time.

OK, off my soapbox and ending my rant. And by the way Jason, nice TR and I am glad you enjoyed your trip to Cedar Point. Hope you are able to make it back soon!

Re: First Ever CP Trip TR 9-7-13 by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/10/13 7:42:44 PM
GoYanks34 said:

chitlins73 said:

Jen

Well he said that he would most likely get back to Cedar Point, so he might as well get to king's Island....lol

Re: First Ever CP Trip TR 9-7-13 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/10/13 9:25:27 PM
chitlins73 said:

GoYanks34 said:

chitlins73 said:

Jen

Well he said that he would most likely get back to Cedar Point, so he might as well get to king's Island....lol

I apparently missed that part - oops! :-)

Then I agree - I would definitely get KI in that trip - it's a really good park and if you're already in OH.....

Jen

Re: First Ever CP Trip TR 9-7-13 by Coaster316 at 9/11/13 8:06:20 AM
Excellent trip report.

jason_t said:

Mantis was our surprise of the day. I had heard so many negative things about this ride, I prepared the worst. The only disappointing thing about Mantis was the trim on the first drop (UGH!). I hate the pressure on my feet I get when I ride a stand-up coaster (I get the same thing on Riddler's) but going over the water is cool and it really seemed like they wedged that ride in there.

Mantis was my biggest regret from my last trip. I've only been to CP twice, the first time I really enjoyed it. The second time it had a longer line and I didn't want to wait for it. I wish I had. Like you, I've heard so many negative things about it that I think I forgot that I had enjoyed it prior. Next time, for sure.

jason_t said:

We didn't ride Blue Streak because when we went over there it was closed due to rain. We didn't ride Iron Dragon or Corkscrew because of lack of interest. We didn't ride Mean Streak because of lack of interest in wanting to go to a chiropractor.

Iron Dragon, on the other hand, should be your biggest regret. I say that as someone who also loves Blue Streak, but ID gets a bad rap from the community but I think it is a lot of fun. I didn't really care for it the first time I was there, but fell in love with it this last time. I just hope it’s still there when I eventually get back to the point.

ray_p said:

I agree whole heartedly with you Jason. I became a "Bitter Old Hag" at one point (which I believe came shortly after the closure of my home park Geauga Lake).

After???!? (sorry, couldn't resist)

Agree with the points made. I've been a part of URC as an active member and lurker for a long time and we've always had people who disagreed but respect and common decency have always won in the end. There have been different cliques that have controlled the discussions but they've always been respectful and welcoming and we are fortunate that is still true. "Ride for Fun" has been a mantra of URC for close to 15 years.

Re: First Ever CP Trip TR 9-7-13 by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/11/13 8:30:40 AM
Fabulous report!
Very well written, clear, descriptive and to the point (no pun intended).
Even the second "clarifying" response was spot on. Especially that part about no one is always right, etc. Those people are more enthusiasses than enthusiasts (and ray actually copped to once being the former...?...nice that you escaped that darkside, Ray!).

I agree with most, but not all, of the opinions you wrote re the experiences you had, Jason. But I liked reading them.
You obviously have a handle on the fact that everyone must experience rides for themselves and then form their own opinions.

Edit: upon further reflection, I don't believe Ray was placing himself in that "-ass" category, but moreso stating that he almost quit being in the "-iast" category altogether. Glad he stayed and started using the "filters" experienced true enthusiasts have learned they need for full enjoyment of this particular affliction we have.
Life could be worse than being able to ride coasters.

* This post was modified at 9/11/13 3:25:35 PM *

Mike B.
Re: First Ever CP Trip TR 9-7-13 by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 9/11/13 1:47:51 PM
ray_p said:

So just go out there and have fun. Life's too short to be bitter and angry all the time.

Aint that the truth. If it's a coaster dispute someone's upset over, perhaps they need to acquire some bigger problems for a little perspective.

Re: First Ever CP Trip TR 9-7-13 by jason_t at 9/13/13 7:12:15 PM
I'm planning on going next year the weekend between Labor Day and HalloWeekends.

I hope to do Friday night and then all day Saturday (with the Fastlane). I will definitely hit the coasters we missed and the flat rides.

I have a few friends and family members that are interested in going because I have raved so much about it but none of my friends love coasters enough to make it an entire coaster trip. This past trip we hit the Football Hall of Fame in Canton. I think the next trip will include the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.

Re: First Ever CP Trip TR 9-7-13 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/13/13 7:32:49 PM
jason_t said:

I'm planning on going next year the weekend between Labor Day and HalloWeekends.

I hope to do Friday night and then all day Saturday (with the Fastlane). I will definitely hit the coasters we missed and the flat rides.

I have a few friends and family members that are interested in going because I have raved so much about it but none of my friends love coasters enough to make it an entire coaster trip. This past trip we hit the Football Hall of Fame in Canton. I think the next trip will include the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.

Hit Kings Island on the next trip. Trust me - it's worth it! Let your friends go to the Rock and Roll HOF and you go to KI, LOL.

Last time I was at the Football HOF was in 1992 - I need to get back there. That was a very cool place.

Jen