Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > 2013 Golden Ticket Awards!

2013 Golden Ticket Awards!

chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile

Posted:
9/7/13 at
4:47:12 PM

I just wanted to let everyone know that The Golden Ticket Awards will be streamed live tonight at 9 Eastern. I know these awards don't mean much. I personally like The Mitch Hawker coaster rankings way better but I am a geek and I still love all the different awards that the Golden Ticket gives out. Just go on the homepage for the 2013 Golden Ticket awards to get to the stream.

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by Frontrider Frontrider Profile at 9/7/13 10:47:56 PM
Thanks for the link to the webcast.

Boulderdash wins Best Woodie!

I am disappointed that my favorite coaster of all time, Voyage, did not win, BUT - Boulderdash is my number 2, so I was very happy to see a classic-feeling woodie with PTC trains, awesome air, out-of-control feeling, and great night layout through the woods, defeat El Toro ;)

* This post was modified at 9/8/13 12:16:39 AM *

"If it isn't wood, it's not as good!"
Favorite wood and overall favorite - Voyage, Holiday World
Favorite steel - Nitro, Great Adventure
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/7/13 11:15:59 PM
Yes.....same here...Voyage blows them all away but I am so happy to see Boulder Dash win!! I will be up there in a few weeks to take a night ride on it once again. I am taking someone who has never been on it before!! This was the surprise of the awards because I figured El-Toro would win it for a few years in a row since that is how the Golden ticket works it seems...lol
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/7/13 11:18:04 PM
I can't believe I-305 came in 10th??? That is a crime!!
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/7/13 11:20:59 PM
Also good to see Outlaw Run get best new ride over Gatekeeper. I have a feeling I am going to like Outlaw Run way better than Gatekeeper. I will be going out to Missouri in May to find out how good it is. I liked Gatekeeper but usually good wood coasters beat out steel coasters any day of the week!!
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 9/8/13 6:07:05 AM
Here's the top 10 for the 3 basic categories:

Top 10 Steel:
1: Millennium Force
2: Bizarro @ SFNE
3: Expedition GeForce
4: Nitro
5: Apollo's Chariot
6: New Texas Giant
7: Goliath @ SFoG
8: Intimidator @ Carowinds
9: Magnum XL-200
10: I305

Top 10 Wood:
1: Boulder Dash
2: El Toro
3: Phoenix
4: The Voyage
5: Thunderhead
6: Ravine Flyer II
7: Outlaw Run
8: The Beast
9: Lightning Racer
10: Shivering Timbers

Best Park:
1: Cedar Point (23%)
2: Europa (22%)

3: Knoebels (9%)
4: Dollywood
5: Disneyland
6: Tokyo DisneySea
7: BGW
8: IoA
9: Magic Kingdom
10: Silver Dollar City

Comments:
As usual the Golden Tickets offer a decent look at the current coaster state of affairs. The point bias created by visitors to major parks still irks me a bit on this, as it tends to propel good rides into much higher spots than they deserve (see: Beast, Lightning Racer for starters) but I can at least say that the voters on this still are traveled enough to carry some surprising finishes.

I never would have foreseen Boulder Dash unseating Toro or Voyage for instance, and I'm amazed that Europa is actually sitting that close to CP. I think Europa is miles better, but I have to imagine that less than 1/3 of the GT participants (if that) have actually been to the park, so that high of a finish is very impressive. With the percentages so close I actually wish I was still sending in a ballot, as I would love to see Europa at least get #1 tie dibs.

Surprises? I can't really comment because I've just gotten back into the hobby, but are Outlaw Run and the Carolina Intimidator really that good? Comments from riders here?

Michael W.
209: 62 (20 CCI/GG) / 147
Voyage / Eurosat
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by Frontrider Frontrider Profile at 9/8/13 8:29:22 AM
CortexBomb said:

Surprises? I can't really comment because I've just gotten back into the hobby, but are Outlaw Run and the Carolina Intimidator really that good? Comments from riders here?

I haven't ridden Outlaw Run (yet), but for me, yes, the Carolina Intimidator is awesome! I like it even better than its rating. Its my number 2 steel, behind only Nitro - of course, my Top 5 steel are the 5 Beemer hypers I've ridden! ;). I'm sure the apparent majority that seem to prefer the Intamins probably won't see it that way.

The layout, height, length, and airtime are very similar to Nitro - straight first drop, curving second drop (to the right instead of the left like Nitro), straight up and over tall camelback for third drop, turnaround similar to Nitro's "hammerhead" for 4th drop, straight up and over camel for 5th drop parallel to 3rd drop, etc.

Then the layout deviates some from Nitro's, but the opening is very similar - just that it's in reclaimed parking lot instead of Nito's natural woodsy setting, and uses the new-style Beemer hyper trains that provide a better visual in the back corner seats (but load 2 by 2 and eliminate the phenomenom of single riders being able to pair up with a group of 3 and get on quicker).

Anyway, like Nitro (and the other Beemer hypers I've ridden), it has multiple moments of FANTASTIC floater air in the back where you float all the way down every straight camelback drop, and strong frontseat air going up and over the top of the drops. I've got a lot more laps on Nitro than Intimidator over the years, but the airtime seems right there with Nitro. I think Nitro's more woodsy, isolated layout helps make my descision to keep it at number 1 between these outstanding hypers. (Note - I've ridden all the Beemer hypers in North America except Diamondback and the 3 in Canada, so I can't compare it to those).

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/8/13 12:45:39 PM
Once again I was chosen to cast a ballot. My kids and I fill out the ballot together. Every year we develop a new method of filling it out, so we don't have identical ballots every year. This year my daughter filled out the top 10 steel coaster section. My son filled out the top 10 wooden coaster section. I filled out the park and rides section. Next year we will rotate sections, if chosen again. The Golden Ticket Awards voting is something we have a lot of fun with and look forward to. The results are usually predictable, but always a few surprises. The biggest surprise this year, to me, is that Renegade at Valleyfair didn't make the top 50. Also Prowler at Worlds of Fun never makes the top 10. Both the kids and myself have Prowler in our top 5. I could go on and on, but that top 50 steel coaster list and the top 50 wooden coaster list are my favorite part of final results. It's just a lot of fun being involved in the voting.
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by alpengeistno3 at 9/8/13 2:13:03 PM
CortexBomb said:

I never would have foreseen Boulder Dash unseating Toro or Voyage for instance, and I'm amazed that Europa is actually sitting that close to CP. I think Europa is miles better, but I have to imagine that less than 1/3 of the GT participants (if that) have actually been to the park, so that high of a finish is very impressive. With the percentages so close I actually wish I was still sending in a ballot, as I would love to see Europa at least get #1 tie dibs.

Didn't ACE do a big European Tour this summer that included Europa? That may explain the bump in popularity.

Boulderdash seems like a dark horse to me. While rated with high regard when it 1st opened, it had fallen off the map as newer, more ferocious woodies have opened. No surprise for it to overtake Voyage seeing how many have fallen out of favor with the roughness, but what has happened to El Toro? The blown motor had to have taken place after the votes were in so should not have been a factor.

Paul

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/8/13 3:39:31 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

CortexBomb said:

Didn't ACE do a big European Tour this summer that included Europa? That may explain the bump in popularity.

Boulderdash seems like a dark horse to me. While rated with high regard when it 1st opened, it had fallen off the map as newer, more ferocious woodies have opened. No surprise for it to overtake Voyage seeing how many have fallen out of favor with the roughness, but what has happened to El Toro? The blown motor had to have taken place after the votes were in so should not have been a factor.

Paul

The national conference for ACE was held at Six Flags New England and Lake Compounce this year. It seems the coasters of the parks that host that event tend to rank higher that year. This is really no surprise to me. I'm actually surprised Bizarro at SFNE didn't overtake Millennium Force. Last year that event was held at Dollywood and Carowinds. IMO that is why Wild Eagle was awarded best New ride of 2012.

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 9/9/13 12:21:45 PM
Cool to see a different woodie up there.

So...how did The Voyage fall under Phoenix? I don't know Phoenix's stats off the top of my head but...I'm going to say it's no where near the length of The Voyage, or the height, or the speed. I know Knobels is an awesome park (so I hear), but damnnnnn dude.

Also regarding the Intamin's v.s B&M Hyper thing......B&M HYPER'S ALL THE WAYYYY.

Two totally different ride experiences. All they have in common is they're usually over 200ft tall.

I haven't ridden Intimidator (CW) in a while...but I did enjoy it. I rate it below Apollo's Chariot though. Mainly due to the setting of AC in the woods. I feel like AC doesn't get the respect it deserves :p I know a certain someone who doesn't like it on here...I wonder if he's cringing while reading this haha.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/9/13 1:11:09 PM
^Yup. Not really cringing..just making a sour face :)

Phoenix has always gotten a lot of love from the enthusiast community, and I do like it quite a bit. It's loads of fun. But to even TRY to compare it to Voyage is futile. It's apples to oranges. Heck I'd rather ride the OTHER woodie at Knoebels than Phoenix.

* This post was modified at 9/9/13 1:12:06 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/9/13 1:26:29 PM
mugen828 said:

So...how did The Voyage fall under Phoenix? I don't know Phoenix's stats off the top of my head but...I'm going to say it's no where near the length of The Voyage, or the height, or the speed. I know Knobels is an awesome park (so I hear), but damnnnnn dude.

Phoenix' ride is butter smooth.

Mike B.
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/9/13 1:29:36 PM
We rode Diamondback yesterday for the first time in a couple years. I had forgotten what a great coaster it is. I know there are guys with over 1000 rides on DB, and though I have not been on any of the newer hypers, I was at the same time both disappointed and surprised to see the Beast being the only mention of KI in the big three categories. Here's hoping that Banshee puts KI back on the map again nest year.

BTW I'd still rank Voyage circa 2008 above anything else, but as I remember my last ride on her back in 2010 I'd put it somewhere with the likes of Villian... great stats but too rough to ride.

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 9/9/13 2:07:11 PM
MABrider said:

mugen828 said:

Nice! I didn't know that. I have only seen pictures. I might make a trip there soon actually. I have been ALL TALK about going there. I gotta make a trip soon. Now especially would be a perfect time to visit since the weather is so nice.

Edit: As I finished my post it got me thinking if Thunderhead was on the list for Woodies. I was surprised to find it at #5! I think I rode it twice last year while at DW, but I know I rode it once. First ride of the day, and best ride at the park. That ride is so nuts and I love the layout. You can't really predict that ride at all, and it's just hectic. It's not as violent as say, Hades, but it's still nuts!

Also...where is Hades at on that list?!? I freakin love that ride!

* This post was modified at 9/9/13 2:10:37 PM *

- mugen828
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/9/13 2:18:45 PM
Yeah, Thunderhead is a great ride. We rode it again back in June and it still rides like it did six years ago. It was all the talk back then and it's good to see it now ranked so high on the list. Actually it was great seeing both Dollywood and SDC ranked up there with the likes of WDW and IOA.
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/9/13 2:47:30 PM
mugen828 said:

MABrider said:

mugen828 said:

Nice! I didn't know that. I have only seen pictures. I might make a trip there soon actually. I have been ALL TALK about going there. I gotta make a trip soon. Now especially would be a perfect time to visit since the weather is so nice.

Edit: As I finished my post it got me thinking if Thunderhead was on the list for Woodies. I was surprised to find it at #5! I think I rode it twice last year while at DW, but I know I rode it once. First ride of the day, and best ride at the park. That ride is so nuts and I love the layout. You can't really predict that ride at all, and it's just hectic. It's not as violent as say, Hades, but it's still nuts!

Also...where is Hades at on that list?!? I freakin love that ride!

Hades was ranked #14.

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 9/9/13 3:01:47 PM
Nice to see I305 in the top 10.

Apollo is great, and i'm a homer for it, but give me a choice, I305 or Apollo? I'll take I305 9/10 times. It's just a level up in intensity. Different strokes for different folks...

Sadly, i have not ridden any one of the top 10 wooden coasters....a Great Adventure trip seems like a good way to fix that.

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 9/9/13 4:26:56 PM
CortexBomb said:

but are Outlaw Run and the Carolina Intimidator really that good? Comments from riders here?

I haven't been on Intimidator, and I have to admit some bias since I do work at SDC, but yes, Outlaw is just that good. It's non-stop the whole way. Great air, awesome drop, smooth but intense, and the barrel rolls are unique and crazy. When TPR was at the park I heard a number of them commenting that it was a new #1 or #2 for them.

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 9/9/13 4:39:16 PM
HamptonRoadsRider said:

Apollo is great, and i'm a homer for it, but give me a choice, I305 or Apollo? I'll take I305 9/10 times. It's just a level up in intensity. Different strokes for different folks...

Sadly, i have not ridden any one of the top 10 wooden coasters....a Great Adventure trip seems like a good way to fix that.

Whoaaa you gotta fix that woodie problem! cwutididthere?

- mugen828
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by boesball at 9/9/13 5:29:48 PM
I think the wood ratings were messed up. The steel were ok, though. Why did Voyage lose so much? Bolder Dash? That's from me, who loves voyage as his favorite coaster.
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/9/13 5:41:38 PM
CortexBomb said:

but are Outlaw Run and the Carolina Intimidator really that good?

Maybe & yes.

Maybe re Outlaw Run because it is quite intense and a bit rough and the trains are... how to say it?...hard.
Three rides in a row = a break is required for this guy.

Yes re Carowinds Intimidator because it doesn't.
Intimidate (me), that is.
I love airtime, and it provides mucho floaty B&M air I've come to expect and enjoy. I love riding all the B&Mers of its ilk over 'n over 'n over 'n over...like Nitro this past Saturday morning.

Mike B.
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/9/13 6:23:53 PM
Where did BGT rank? Or was it even nominated? Imo, it's better than BGW with the rides and things to do. Not a slam on BGW, but BGW I am usually done by the time it's 5pm or sooner.

Also where did Montu place? I hope it's still among the top 15.

HamptonRoadsRider said:

I have to agree, I prefer B&M coasters, but I loved I305 (especially with the new softer restraints). Although with the otsr, I think they probably should've just gone with a corkscrew than the rapid directional change causing you to slam into one side of the seat (very painful with the old otsr).
As long as they never put the trims on the first drop, I am happy with it.

RobLec said:

Yeah, Thunderhead is a great ride. We rode it again back in June and it still rides like it did six years ago. It was all the talk back then and it's good to see it now ranked so high on the list. Actually it was great seeing both Dollywood and SDC ranked up there with the likes of WDW and IOA.

Good to know it's aged well. I'd like to get some more rides on thunderhead. I enjoyed my days at Dollywood as well. I'm glad it is ranked with the other well known parks too.

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/9/13 6:38:38 PM
Montu came in at #18. Kumba ranked #27. Sheikra was ranked #32. Cheetah Hunt did not make the top 50. Maybe later on tonight I'll post the entire top 50 steel and wood, if I have time.
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/9/13 10:15:33 PM
Aw, bumped out of the top 15 :( But top 20 isn't too bad and nice to know where Kumba and Sheikra stands. Lol, to be honest, I never expected much out of cheetah. It was a mistake that they didn't put a hyper coaster there, imo.
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by Frontrider Frontrider Profile at 9/9/13 11:29:40 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

No surprise for it to overtake Voyage seeing how many have fallen out of favor with the roughness

When I last rode Voyage in late 2012 at the awesome Holiday World Halloween event featuring nightrides, I didn't notice any roughness. True, I'm not the best person at noticing alleged "roughness", as shuffling, jackhammering, and such honestly doesn't bother me, and I like my woodies on the VIOLENT side, but - the friendly staff had told me that the ride had recently had a lot of trackwork done to make it "smoother".

And that seemed to be the case, as again, it seemed to be tracking really smoothly, the only "roughness" I detected being the relentlessly PERFECT pacing of airtime, airtime, laterals, airtime, laterals, etc. - sometimes both occurring at the same time and slamming me into the seat divider or side of the car WHILE airbourne! I LOVED it! (that's why I'm glad the PTCs are staying, as I'm not sure the TLs would have given as physical a ride, with the contoured seats, shock absorbers, etc)

Anyway, I was really hoping the retracking would help Voyage win back the hearts of the more texture-sensitive enthusiasts and get it back to Number 1 in the Golden Tickets. Perhaps many of the voters still haven't re-ridden it since the retracking. Or maybe some dislike the ride's inherent physicality that it would have even with "butter smooth" tracking.

* This post was modified at 9/9/13 11:33:55 PM *

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/9/13 11:46:44 PM
How does it compare to the way it was six years ago?
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by Frontrider Frontrider Profile at 9/10/13 12:33:58 AM
I honestly didn't ride it 6 years ago, as I live in the gulf south (where parks are fewer and more spread out than in the north), and its taken me awhile to build my "track record" up to where it is now. Someone else who rides it more regularly than me would be better qualified to answer. I'm planning another visit during their 2013 Halloween event (and this year I think Legend will be running too; it was down last year), so by then I'll have a good idea how it compares to last year.

What I do know is that the 30 or so rides I have had on Voyage were, for my taste, simply the most epic, amazing, intense, exhilerating, blissful, insane, satisfying, fulfilling, perfect, and complete roller coaster rides I have ever experienced (out of 73 wood, 309 total)...

And that the "24 seconds of airtime" is no exaggeration! :)

But hey, Boulderdash also blows me away, it was my Number One before I rode Voyage, and its never been anything less than 2 in my overall rankings, so I am really happy to see Boulderdash get some love!

* This post was modified at 9/10/13 12:35:47 AM *

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/10/13 4:02:20 AM
2013 Golden Ticket Awards results.

Top 50 steel coasters:
1) Millennium Force/ Cedar Point
2) Bizarro/ SF New England
3) Expedition GeForce/ Holiday Park
4) Nitro/ SF Great Adventure
5) Apollo's Chariot/ BGVA
6) New Texas Giant/ SF Over Texas
7) Goliath/ SF Over Georgia
8) Intimadator/ Carowinds
9) Magnum/ Cedar Point
10) I305/ Kings Dominion
11) Iron Rattler/ SF Fiesta Texas
12) TTD/ Cedar Point
13) Phantom's Revenge/ Kennywood
14) Diamondback/ Kings Island
15) Leviathan/ Canada's Wonderland
16) X2/ SF Magic Mountain
17) Behemoth/ Canada's Wonderland
18) Montu/ BGFLA
19) Mind Bender/ SF Over Georgia
20) Nemesis/ Alton Towers
21) Blue Fire/ Europa Park
22) Maverick/ Cedar Point
23) Goliath/ LaRonde
24) Wild Eagle/ Dollywood
25) Alpengeist/ BGVA
26) Skyrush/ Hershey
27) Kumba/ BGFLA
28) Gatekeeper/ Cedar Point
29) Shockwave/ SF Over Texas
30) Raptor/ Cedar Point
31) Raging Bull/ SF Great America
32) Skeikra/ BGFLA
33) Griffon/ BGVA
34) Black Mamba/ Phantasialand
35) (tie) Afterburne/.Carowind
Kingda Ka/ SF Great Adventure
37) Steel Force/ Dorney
38) Superman ROS/ SF America
39) Volcano/ Kings Dominion
40) Whizzer/ SF Great America
41) Goliath/ SF Magic Mountain
42) (tie) Expedition Everest/ Animal Kingdom
Powder Keg/ Silver Dollar City
Titan/ SF Over Texas
45) (tie) Olympia Looping/ German Fair
X Flight/ SF Great America
47) Dominator/ Kings Dominion
48) (tie) Kraken/ SWFLA
Lisebergbanan/ Liseberg
50) Tatsu/ SF Magic Mountain

Top 50 wooden
1) Boulder Dash/ Lake Compounce
2) El Toro/ SF Great Adventure
3) Phoenix/ Knoebles
4) Voyage/ Holiday World
5) Thunderhead/ Dollywood
6) Ravine Flyer II/ Waldameer
7) Outlaw Run/ Silver Dollar City
8) Beast/ Kings Island
9) Lightning Racer/ Hershey
10) Shivering Timbers/ Michigan's Adventure
11) Raven/ Holiday World
12) Prowler/ Worlds of Fun
13) Balder/ Liseberg
14) Hades 360/ Mt. Olympus
15) Thunderbolt/ Kennywood
16) Comet/ Great Escape
17) Colossus/ Heide Park
18) Jack Rabbit/ Kennywood
19) (tie) Cyclone/ Coney Island
Legend/ Holiday World
21) Kentucky Rumbler/ Beech Bend
22) Giant Dipper/ SCBB
23) El Toro/ Freizeitpark Plohn
24) Tremors/ Silverwood
25) American Thunder/ SF St. Louis
26) Gold Striker/ CGA
27) Blue Streak/ Cedar Point
28) Troy/ Toverland
29) Ghost Rider/ Knotts
30) Playland Wooden Coaster/ Playland
31) Wodan/ Europa Park
32) Corn Ball Express/ Indiana Beach
33) Blue Streak/ Conneaut
34) Boardwalk Bullet/ Kemah Boardwalk
35) Racer/ Kennywood
36) Wooden Warrior/ Quassy
37) Zippin Pippin/ Bay Beach
38) Thunderbird/ Power Park
39) Twister/ Knoebles
40) Megafobia/ Oakwood
41) (tie) Grand National/ Blackpool PB
T Express/ Everland
43) GASM/ SF Over Georgia
44) (tie) Tonnerre de Zeus/ Parc Asterisk
Viper/ SF Great America
46) (tie) Hellcat/ Timber Falls
Twister/ Grona Lund
48) Cyclone/ Lakeside
49) Apocalypse/ SF Magic Mountain
50) Yankee Cannonball/ Canobie Lake Park

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/10/13 5:23:58 AM
Thanks for posting, Ken.

Is the "Playland Wooden Coaster" the Dragon Coaster at Rye?

I've been on 30 of the steelies and 25 of the woodies (if the answer to the above question is "yes") Seems low to me, but not bad when considering I've never been overseas.

Mike

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 9/10/13 8:42:50 AM
Cool to see Raven so high on the wood list. That ride is super short, but incredible. Holiday World has such a great line up. I feel like if they had another GREAT coaster it'd be on everyone's destination list.

I'm kinda surprised that Leviathan didn't make it way higher. You'd think a B&M that's 300ft would be a little more popular. I wonder if Leviathan were at say...Cedar Point or SFGAdv, if it would have made it to the top 5.

- mugen828
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/10/13 8:49:50 AM
Thanks for posting the list.

My how times change. No Hulk or Dragons. Nothing at all from Orlando.

EDIT: Oops... I just saw Expedition Everest, which hardly seems that it would be better than anything else that all the parks in Orlando have to offer.

* This post was modified at 9/10/13 8:53:54 AM *

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by Coaster316 at 9/10/13 9:56:02 AM
frontrow said:

The national conference for ACE was held at Six Flags New England and Lake Compounce this year. It seems the coasters of the parks that host that event tend to rank higher that year. This is really no surprise to me. I'm actually surprised Bizarro at SFNE didn't overtake Millennium Force. Last year that event was held at Dollywood and Carowinds. IMO that is why Wild Eagle was awarded best New ride of 2012.

Excellent points.

I'm very glad Volcano is sticking around in the Top 40. I love that ride.

I still think Legend is my favorite of the three Holiday World woodies. The Voyage is awesome, but there's something about Legend that just always hits right for me. I know it hasn't run as well as it used to, but I'd love to see that kick back up into a better position.

Phoenix will always be one of my favs and should be a perennial top 5, imo.

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/10/13 11:04:01 AM
beastmaster said:

Thanks for posting, Ken.

I've been on 30 of the steelies and 25 of the woodies (if the answer to the above question is "yes") Seems low to me, but not bad when considering I've never been overseas.

Mike

That coaster is in Canada.

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/10/13 11:34:56 AM
frontrow said:

beastmaster said:

Thanks for posting, Ken.

Mike

That coaster is in Canada.

Well, that bites. Dragon should be on there. It's a great ride that resides just under my top ten woodies.

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by Frontrider Frontrider Profile at 9/10/13 11:40:22 AM
RobLec said:

EDIT: Oops... I just saw Expedition Everest, which hardly seems that it would be better than anything else that all the parks in Orlando have to offer.

Well, for my taste, I prefer Everest to those Beemer multiloopers, precisely because of its perfect inversion count of zero! ;). It has nice, open, lap-bar only trains, and a fun layout once it gets going. The purist in me doesn't care for the backwards part, but at least it doesn't last long and goes forwards again for the real meat of the ride. I like Space Mountain better, though, because it has several spots of airtime and gives a nice physical ride.

If the Tampa coasters were thrown in, I do have to admit that Sheikra would be higher on my list than Everest. I love the floater air that last all the way down the 2 vertical drops, and even though it has one inversion, its my favorite type of inversion - an oversized Immelman, which keeps the positive G's to a minimum.

Of course, if one of the Florida parks ever sprang for a Beemer hyper, it would easily be my favorite steel coaster in the state, and the only thing that could possibly top it in my overall steel rankings would be other Beemer hypers, if those were a little better.

PS. It looks like Kraken made the list also, tied for 48th.

* This post was modified at 9/10/13 11:41:30 AM *

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/10/13 12:40:42 PM
Hulk has never been a favorite of mine, but has many fans, especially among the GP. Glad to see Montu still ranked relatively high - not bad for an eighteen year old ride, but Afterburn ranked low and Fire Dragon (whatever it's called now) did not rank at all. Just seems strange. They have traditionally been rank by many to be the top three inverts. Perhaps the era of inverts is coming to an end.

BTW I may be wrong but I think there are restrictions on the height of rides in Florida.

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by antikythera antikythera Profile at 9/10/13 1:05:07 PM
Coaster316 said:

frontrow said:

Excellent points.

I'm very glad Volcano is sticking around in the Top 40. I love that ride.

I still think Legend is my favorite of the three Holiday World woodies. The Voyage is awesome, but there's something about Legend that just always hits right for me. I know it hasn't run as well as it used to, but I'd love to see that kick back up into a better position.

Phoenix will always be one of my favs and should be a perennial top 5, imo.

It's amazing that a ride that suffered so many setbacks in it's first year and is pretty much an early model accelerator model with LIM technology still garners so much respect both from the enthusiast world and GP. It's still my favorite ride at KD and shows how much theming really adds to the experience.

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/10/13 1:25:48 PM
These awards are nothing more than a back slappin party amongst parks.

Awards are made up from one year to the next to pat the back of major advertisers with AT and quickly dissapeer the next.
;
Sure, some of the awards match up with a Best of Catagory but way to many GREAT PARKS are totally left in the cold.

Ever heard of Adventurland Iowa? Idlewild? In AT? Heck,even Hershey Park is kinda left out but may be the best overall seasonal in the nation.

Golden Tickets should not be a reason for planning a trip.

The End.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/10/13 2:24:10 PM
I've ridden 35 of the top 50 steel, and hope to add Powder Keg at Silver Dollar City in 2 1/2 weeks. I've ridden 25 of the wooden coasters and hope to add Outlaw Run. Some coasters that I'm surprised that didn't make the top 50 are Renegade at Valleyfair, Storm Runner at Hershey, Talon at Dorney, Wild One at SF America, Screamin Eagle at SF St. Louis, Cyclops at Mount Olympus, and Superman Krypton Coaster at SF Fiesta Texas. Someone already mentioned Hulk and Dueling Dragons. The one I'm most surprised that was left out was Verbolten at BGVA. Not only do coasters at Busch Gardens usually rank high, Verbolten is a type of rollercoaster enthusiasts seem to really like.
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/10/13 11:51:05 PM
RobLec said:

Hulk has never been a favorite of mine, but has many fans, especially among the GP. Glad to see Montu still ranked relatively high - not bad for an eighteen year old ride, but Afterburn ranked low and Fire Dragon (whatever it's called now) did not rank at all. Just seems strange. They have traditionally been rank by many to be the top three inverts. Perhaps the era of inverts is coming to an end.

BTW I may be wrong but I think there are restrictions on the height of rides in Florida.

Hulk is one of the better rides, especially at that park, I still enjoy it. Dragons, I'm still disappointed about the 'chasing' thing, but individually, i prefer the fire side as well. I hope Banshee next year renews the interest for inverts.
Yes, makes me happy seeing Montu 'the old guy' still 'hanging around' :)

RobLec said:

I agree, it is bull. I mean I will admit that the Hulk becomes subpar after the train wraps around the launch tube, but I still enjoy it quite a lot. fire dragon is also a very fun ride and it's a shame it isn't even in the list. I think Dominator should've been higher as it is a very good floorless. Kraken, at least should've been higher than everest. Everest is ok and nicely themed, but no way would I list it as better than the remaining 8 on that list.
=
CoasterFanatic said:

These awards are nothing more than a back slappin party amongst parks.

Awards are made up from one year to the next to pat the back of major advertisers with AT and quickly dissapeer the next.
;
Sure, some of the awards match up with a Best of Catagory but way to many GREAT PARKS are totally left in the cold.

Ever heard of Adventurland Iowa? Idlewild? In AT? Heck,even Hershey Park is kinda left out but may be the best overall seasonal in the nation.

Golden Tickets should not be a reason for planning a trip.

The End.

Totally agreed. I will admit I like to know where some of my favorites rank or get attention, but I'm not going to take this list seriously. In my book I305 would've been at least top 5 with Montu. I haven't rode all the top 10 coasters there, but I still think my 2 more than deserves a higher ranking than what they got.

I still don't understand why BGT isn't even listed among the best parks, so that irks me as well.

* This post was modified at 9/11/13 12:02:56 AM *

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by Speedster at 9/12/13 9:14:58 PM
Finally - my favorite coaster I-305 is in the top 10! It's about time. I've ridden 5 of the top 10 (MF, I-305, Chariot, Intimidator, Magnum). I doubt I'll get to Europe to ride GeForce, but I'm hoping to get to the rest of the top 10 in the next few years. Anyway, it's always fun to see how people rank coasters. Everyone has their unique tastes. I'm always surprised to see Magnum in the top 10, though. I'd replace it with Maverick. As for the woodies, I think Voyage dropped a bit because when I rode it this summer, it was getting a little rough in the second half.

* This post was modified at 9/12/13 9:42:21 PM *

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by boesball at 9/12/13 11:31:21 PM
Isn't every wooden coaster at least a little rough?
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/13/13 6:22:35 AM
Go to Connecticut, Tyler, then ask that question again.
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by Coaster316 at 9/13/13 7:31:48 AM
I'm assuming you mean Wooden Warrior, Mike?
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/13/13 9:43:39 AM
Like butter, baby!
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by Speedster Speedster Profile at 9/13/13 3:42:24 PM
Hoping to make a trip to Silver Dollar City next month! I love the videos I've seen of Outlaw Run.

* This post was modified at 9/13/13 3:45:43 PM *

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by Speedster Speedster Profile at 9/13/13 3:44:00 PM
boesball said:

True. I guess I should have said "a little TOO rough." At least that's what my teenage daughter thought along with some other riders we talked to afterward. Overall, I really like it and have it as my #1 favorite wooden coaster!

* This post was modified at 9/13/13 10:00:49 PM *

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by drachen drachen Profile at 9/13/13 6:03:35 PM
The thing I find interesting about the Golden Ticket Coaster Rankings is that in order to be in the Top 50, every coaster on that list has to be in someone's Top 10 list.

Considering some of the coasters on the list, I'm somewhat surprised by some listed coasters.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 9/15/13 12:08:11 AM
drachen said:

The thing I find interesting about the Golden Ticket Coaster Rankings is that in order to be in the Top 50, every coaster on that list has to be in someone's Top 10 list.

Considering some of the coasters on the list, I'm somewhat surprised by some listed coasters.

This list seems to be a very random assortment of coasters; exactly what you would get if you asked a bunch of people what their favorite rides were. I don't put much stock in such awards with regards to whether or not I want to go to a park or try to ride a certain coaster (even though quite a few coasters I like very much were on the list, and at least a few I thought sucked). One thing to consider is of course people are ranking coasters based upon (obviously) the parks they have been to. This is quite a bit different than, for instance, movies that top the box office in a given year. Pretty much anyone (at least in the developed world) has access to a movie theater, whereas, when it comes to parks and coasters, some people have been all over the place to many parks, and others have only been to few parks overall.

In other words, coasters are tough to rank in any meaningful way, since not everyone has access to a large number of parks. And then there are factors like how long ago someone has ridden a particular coaster (particularly if it has been modified, or simply has gotten really rough over the years, as in the case of some woodies). I last rode the Voyage in '08 or '09, and based on the last time I rode it, it ranked in my top 5 wood coasters. But from what I had heard, it had gotten pretty rough in subsequent years. So I could only rank it as it was several years ago, had I been asked.

I suspect that the reason there are a lot of older coasters on the list that people seldom mention is because many of these are coasters that are at a respondent's home park and are probably sentimental favorites. For instance, I would likely rank Dominator higher than would someone from the west coast, because KD isn't very far from me and I go there often.

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/15/13 7:33:41 AM
Very well stated Schrecken. With that said though, I put much more stock into The Mitch Hawker poll because it is based on mutual rider comparison. It is a more complicated system but it works much better.
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/15/13 8:36:00 AM
chitlins73 said:

Very well stated Schrecken. With that said though, I put much more stock into The Mitch Hawker poll because it is based on mutual rider comparison. It is a more complicated system but it works much better.

It works so well that a handful of people can take a trip overseas and rank a coaster that no one else has ever ridden as number one.

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/15/13 9:48:42 PM
I think it is a much more thought out complex ranking system and it is ranked by people who have actually been on the coasters and not just voting for a favorite in their particular region. The Golden Ticket is a joke compared to Mitch Hawker poll. Just look at the list. My favorite coaster all time is The Beast but I will even admit that it is not a top ten woodie anymore. Shivering Timbers 10th??? Phoenix 3rd best woodie in the world???? I love Phoenix but it is not in the same league as Voyage or El Toro...lol. The Mitch Hawker poll is actually voted on by people who have compared coasters that they have been on and not just somebody's favorite sentimental coaster they have loved for years at there favorite home park. I will also admit that some people really do like Phoenix or Shivering Timbers over an El Toro or Voyage but I am just saying that the vast majority of people who have actually ridden both coasters would most likely choose Voyage or El Toro over Phoenix.
Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/15/13 11:31:17 PM
chitlins73 said:

I think it is a much more thought out complex ranking system and it is ranked by people who have actually been on the coasters and not just voting for a favorite in their particular region. The Golden Ticket is a joke compared to Mitch Hawker poll.

Yeah, I know how Mitch's poll works, or is supposed to work. Problem is because of the small sample size... only a few hundred people responding, it is easy for a small group to collude to sway the poll. You and I and a few friends could decide we want Phoenix at the top, and we could do it. Or playing devil's advocate, a park could conceivably pay respondents to promote their park. Unless there a law against that, the results depend on nothing more than personal ethics.

The Golden Ticket yes is just a popularity contest, but the results are base upon thousands of respondents, not merely a handful of "experts". Personally I wouldn't trust either poll to be more than a list of suggestions.

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 9/16/13 8:57:39 AM
boesball said:

Absolutely not! There are a good number of wood coasters that are very smooth. SCBB's Giant Dipper, Thunderhead, Phoenix, Dania Beach Hurricane, Outlaw Run, New Mexico Rattler, and a number of others I've been on have been extremely smooth.

I've also been on a number of steel coasters that were very, very rough.

So no, wood does not have to be rough. That's one myth I'd love to see get wiped out. Most of the rough wood coasters (not all mind you, but most of the ones I've been on) have been that way due to lack of proper care.

Colossus at SFMM is a good example- it used to be butter smooth, fast, and intense. Crappy care over the years has caused it to deteriorate in many ways and it's nowhere near as smooth as it used to be.

Re: 2013 Golden Ticket Awards! by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 9/16/13 3:16:34 PM
mugen828 said:

Whoaaa you gotta fix that woodie problem! cwutididthere?

Cymbal crash!!! but really, i do need to fix that problem....I thought my soon to be wife was turning the corner on coaster freakdom, but it was not to be. I've been given official notice i need to find a new coaster riding partner...sniff sniff