Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Holiday World 2014?

Holiday World 2014?

chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile

Posted:
8/31/13 at
11:35:32 AM

Just curious if anyone on here has heard any rumors about Holiday World for 2014?? They usually have an exciting ride added every year but I have not heard anything.

Re: Holiday World 2014? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/31/13 11:42:48 AM
chitlins73 said:

Just curious if anyone on here has heard any rumors about Holiday World for 2014?? They usually have an exciting ride added every year but I have not heard anything.

Only thing I know for certain is Timberliner Trains will not be used on Voyage.

Won't even speculate on what is in their plans as I think all major decisions are awaiting the result of the lawsuits.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Holiday World 2014? by flannelw at 9/6/13 2:39:20 AM
Well, Holiday World has announced what's new for 2014, http://www.holidayworld.com/news/holiday-world-sets-sail-8-million-expansion. I'm a little disappointed. I thought they would really try something big since King's Island is getting The Banshee.

HoliBlog What's New in 2014

* This post was modified at 9/6/13 3:23:11 AM *

Re: Holiday World 2014? by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 9/6/13 6:16:11 AM
CoasterFanatic said:
Won't even speculate on what is in their plans as I think all major decisions are awaiting the result of the lawsuits.

Been out of the loop lately, what lawsuit?

And in general, was there word on why the Timberliners are still delayed?

Michael W.
235: 63 (20 CCI/GG) / 172
Voyage / Eurosat
R.I.P.: Riverside Cyclone...
Re: Holiday World 2014? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 9/6/13 9:56:43 AM
Timberliners aren't delayed, the idea is scrapped. They did not give any reasons why.
Re: Holiday World 2014? by Katie Katie Profile at 9/6/13 10:01:12 AM
CortexBomb said:

CoasterFanatic said:

Been out of the loop lately, what lawsuit?

The lawsuit between Lori Koch (Will's wife) and Dan Koch. Dan no longer runs the park, the old GM Matt does. They are fighting out the prices of the shares of Will's stake in the park.

http://www.spencercountyjournal.com/content/control-holiday-world-stake-legal-battle (January 2013).

Re: Holiday World 2014? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/6/13 2:05:48 PM
Rollercoaster_freak220 said:

Timberliners aren't delayed, the idea is scrapped. They did not give any reasons why.

I would say - and I know some here will disagree with me on this - but the Timberliners are yet unproven on a major coaster. It is most likely simply a matter of public safety and the park's insurance requirements. It is not a statement about the train's designers and builders.

Most here know what a violent and extreme coaster Voyage is. The fact that the new trains worked okay on Raven and at Quassy is no guarantee that they will hold up under the rigors of the Voyage. Just IMO.

Re: Holiday World 2014? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 9/6/13 2:31:27 PM
RobLec said:

I would say - and I know some here will disagree with me on this - but the Timberliners are yet unproven on a major coaster. It is most likely simply a matter of public safety and the park's insurance requirements. It is not a statement about the train's designers and builders.

Most here know what a violent and extreme coaster Voyage is. The fact that the new trains worked okay on Raven and at Quassy is no guarantee that they will hold up under the rigors of the Voyage. Just IMO.

They are on Hades 360, which is quite comparable to Voyage. However, I've heard that they didn't really help Hades roughness.

Re: Holiday World 2014? by HWLover HWLover Profile at 9/6/13 8:03:31 PM
For some reason, and it probably isnt true, but I feel like there is more to the announcement from Holiday World today. First of all, they promised HUGE expansions the next three years. Dont get me wrong, I think the new Chance ship Mayflower is cool but its not large. On theme park review their pr Paula Werne said that Mayflower makes up only a little of the 8 million dollar budget, and the parking lot paving being a lot. Also, she said everywhere that they couldnt release the date of announcement because it is too much of a hint. Well why would they pick today, because I didnt even know today was when they began to sail on the mayflower, when september 16 is Mayflowere day. Also they started holihints yesterday only to end today. Another weird thing is that the picture doesnt match up with where it is supposed to be, and they didnt release the pic of the map where it is. Ik this doesnt seem too important but to me its odd. I guess im just hoping for more:/ Personally I think if they did a small ride announcment and then a bigger one later it will get them twice as much publicity. Even though it prob wont happen, I can see it on sept 13(friday the 13) or sept 16(mayflower day). Now ik the lawsuit is happening but i still feel this wouldnt affect the decision. Comment what you all think.
Re: Holiday World 2014? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 9/7/13 2:19:59 AM
RobLec said:

I would very much disagree with that statement. You're suggesting the trains would not be safe or would be unable to handle The Voyage and that's just reckless speculation.

The folks at Gravity Group have the expertise to design a safe and reliable train and I'm 100% confident that their product would operate without issue on The Voyage. Plenty of amusement equipment suppliers have successfully engineered and built trains that operate safely at parks without extensive in the field testing.

If safety were truly a concern with these trains then I would be alarmed to see them in operation on any roller coaster regardless of size. In my opinion, Holiday World's decision not to buy Timberliners does not suggest that the trains are unproven, unsafe or unable to handle the aggressive forces of a large sized wooden coaster. I believe the real reason why the park has decided not to go with them is that they probably determined that changing the trains would not improve the ride experience, nor resolve the issues they have with this roller coaster.

Re: Holiday World 2014? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/7/13 9:28:40 AM
Eric_Gieszl said:
RobLec said:

... the park's insurance requirements. It is not a statement about the train's designers and builders.

The folks at Gravity Group have the expertise to design a safe and reliable train and I'm 100% confident that their product would operate without issue on The Voyage.

I never said that GG could not build reliable trains. I said the trains are unproven. You may be confident, but perhaps their insurer may not. That's what I said, and it is only my opinion.

Re: Holiday World 2014? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 9/7/13 12:35:49 PM
You might not have said it and you might have tried to deflect it with your last sentence, but you certainly implied it.

Don't try to undo the fact that you stated it was "a matter of public safety" and pin it solely on the insurance statement. If it were a matter of public safety then it would be a fault of the designer and builder of the equipment.

The fact is the trains are proven. Both Wooden Warrior at Quassy and Twister at Grona Lund have been running trains from Gravity Group for three seasons now.

This isn't about insurance either. The early testing was for Gravity Group's engineering, but clearly the later testing was for Holiday World to determine if new trains were a good solution.

You're right it's YOUR opinion, but it's also my right to dispute it.

* This post was modified at 9/7/13 12:38:20 PM *

Re: Holiday World 2014? by coastinj coastinj Profile at 9/7/13 2:21:09 PM
Well as far as the timber liners go, I'm sad that we will not get to see how they track on The Voyage. As it stands right now I ride Voyage just once per visit as the ride has become incredibly painful for me. I hope they can fix the noticeable issues; the jolt cresting the 2nd hill as well as the switch hill under the lift, and the spaghetti bowl turn around.

As for the new ride, I am happy to see a new ride in the dry park, but I was a little bummed that its not something a tad more thrilling. But an addition is better than none as they know their base and keep growing.

I personally would love to see a frisbee, air race, or a top spin. Maybe a ferris wheel too.
And in the waterpark I would love to see some more single person slides added, like the trap door slides, there's not a lot of single rider stuff there. And that's a hindrance for me (and others I'm guessing) to visit

Re: Holiday World 2014? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/7/13 4:43:03 PM
Did you try riding The Voyage in the front???
Re: Holiday World 2014? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/7/13 4:50:00 PM
My original post was unmodified, in which I stated that it was not a statement about the trains designers, and included the reference to insurance.

As a member of the general public, I would not ride Voyage in the first year following any conversion to different trains. Doesn't mean it's unsafe, just that I would not trust it.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Re: Holiday World 2014? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/8/13 6:00:49 PM
RobLec said:

Rollercoaster_freak220 said:

Has nothing to do with it and more to do with they just redid Voyage for the PTC trains and Im guessing here to keep continuity in the parts dept. A part for raven will fit voyage or legend etc.

Hades train tested and broke in on Voyage and opened two days after it arrived at Mt. Olympus. That coaster is every bit as intense in the tunnel area as Voyage.

Im also guessing that since they sold 12 of 14 cars of two trains and ended up buying 10 to replace them to run two PTCs had something to do with justification of any additional cost. Don't think theirs any hard feelings between TGG and HW, It'd been better if the coaster had opened originally with Timberliners, The Timberliners weren't ready then, They are now and one operated all summer on Hades 360 with no issues.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Holiday World 2014? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/8/13 9:58:43 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

... they just redid Voyage for the PTC trains and Im guessing here to keep continuity in the parts dept.... It'd been better if the coaster had opened originally with Timberliners,

I agree with you on that. It's not that I don't trust GG (heck, I know they're great guys and I love everything they've built) but Voyage was built for PTC's and the park knows them inside out. Changes and modifications to handle different trains at least in my mind introduces a certain element of uncertainty.

When I mentioned public safety it probably would have been better to say the "public's perception of safety". Again, not saying there's anything unsafe about the TL's, just after making changes a working system I'd rather wait for the dust to settle.

Re: Holiday World 2014? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/9/13 2:50:34 AM
RobLec said:

CoasterFanatic said:

... they just redid Voyage for the PTC trains and Im guessing here to keep continuity in the parts dept.... It'd been better if the coaster had opened originally with Timberliners,

I agree with you on that. It's not that I don't trust GG (heck, I know they're great guys and I love everything they've built) but Voyage was built for PTC's and the park knows them inside out. Changes and modifications to handle different trains at least in my mind introduces a certain element of uncertainty.

When I mentioned public safety it probably would have been better to say the "public's perception of safety". Again, not saying there's anything unsafe about the TL's, just after making changes a working system I'd rather wait for the dust to settle.

See, I know you mean well and maybe have your concerns, But I don't get that statement either. I don't think people are trusting enough to buy a new car line, Or a new ride, Train or whatever knowing that its reasonably safe.

The trains have operated for two years now on Wooden Warrior and that one in Sweeden (Which is a forceful ride) and a full season on Hades.

Tried and True! They changed the seatbacks after the first season on WW and Gruna Lands for longevit but other than that. Im impressed by em.

Took a tour of TGGs shop, All quality parts, Everythings got specific torque's etc. No different than any other train manufacturer.

Re: Holiday World 2014? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/9/13 10:04:20 AM
Actually I'm looking forward to riding TL's somewhere, someday. The test seat at HW was comfortable, it is an interesting design and I'm sure well made. It's not a matter of quality. It's not like a new car, more like flying on a plane after it's been delayed while they fixed a problem.

Greatest disappointment is knowing that we probably won't ever again be riding Voyage the way it used to be.

Re: Holiday World 2014? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/9/13 10:23:42 AM
RobLec said:

Actually I'm looking forward to riding TL's somewhere, someday.

Your Warrior awaits, Sire. :)

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...