Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Anybody... Disappointed, or confused by SF announcement?

Anybody... Disappointed, or confused by SF announcement?

xPoizon

Posted:
8/30/13 at
11:34:32 PM

So I have to say that this is one of the most bizarre six flags announcements (yet). A very bold move to add a water park to SFOG (what will happen to whitewater?!) and to add the only new thrill coaster, to a park that just got a brand new b and m, last year?! And all those rumors about how the drop tower would never work, and it turned out to be a drop tower attached to kingda ka.

Here's what I like about the new stuff:
Six flags mexico: getting a 'new' coaster besides a wild mouse type in 10 years!

Six flags over Georgia: yes the water park was a bold move. But I think it's one in the right direction. With more people going to the water park, it would seriously cut down on compact traffic. Plus they could sell whitewater and make their money back.

Six flags magic mountain: they got this one right! This park desperately needed new slides, and why not add a kiddie coaster to keep the record too?!

Six flags great adventure: while the drop tower idea is different, but the most speculated attraction for next year, I think it is a really good addition. I really disliked that SF put el toro, RT and kingda ka RIGHT beside each other. It looked tacky and not spread out like they should have been. Maybe a cedar point will add drop towers to dragster for 2015/16?!

Six flags la ronde: a nice addition, nice thrill flat ride

St. Louis and discovery kingdom: nice addition, especially since DK doesn't have many water rides. However, why not just name it aqua twist??? Seriously, have many different names can SF use?

WHAT I DON'T LIKE:

Six flags America: adding a Marti gras section. Seriously. Now what is SFGAmerica going to do now that their themed coaster for their Marti gras section is gone? Did they actually think through this?

SF OVER TEXAS: considering that this is six flags flag ship park and they haven't had a thrill coaster in 13, (14 by next year) YEARS. Now they did have spinning coaster in 2008, but even then that would be 6 years. It makes me mad that SF is a billion dollar profit company, but can't shell out a tiny little percent to add a new thrill ride to its flagship.

SF New England: I think the giant skyscreamer is unnecessary, especially since the park has a decent cellection of thrill rides. How about give it SF America, next to the Capitol of America?!?! Nothing says merica like a giant skyscreamer, especially since they just got their height limit removed.

Almost tie for last with great America:

Great escape: "come celebrate the 60th anniversary of the park as you try out our new (probably used) medium sized swing ride. We even shot crappy footage for a trailer to show you!!! We hope to take your money while you ride out ancient rides!!" I have now lost all hope for this park. I had hope that six flags might actually spend money on the park wisely and make it rival great wolf lodge or the upcoming dollywood hotel. But no, they have to add an even more costly room section to gouge people.

Worst for last:

SIX FLAGS GREAT AMERICA.

1. First of all, how many different coasters can you keep naming Goliath?!?!?
2. This park just got a brand new wing B and M (one of the only new coasters for SF in 2012), so why give the only new coaster to this park again??? Six flags over Texas has gone 13 years without a major coaster, but GA can't go more than 2????
3. This is the 3rd wood coaster to this park!!!! This makes no sense. Breaking news next year: people won't ride american eagle anymore and it will be torn down to build a 500 foot coaster and a drop tower, while other parks rot away...

4. Why take out Cajun to leave another hole in the park???
5. Outlaw run, similar coaster, only cost $10 million. With most new coasters costing upwards of $20 million, I feel like six flags defiantly low balled, especially with their huge profit margin.

Don't get me wrong, I love innovation, and every single attraction is amazing. My only park in Arkansas hasn't seen a new attraction AT ALL in 5 years, unless you count a surf simulator in 2010, and a kids water play area in 2013. But no coaster in 7, 8 years, no new thrill rides, no flag rides, and a mini forest growing under the SLC because they won't mow it. So I am very glad that they are committed to adding a new attraction, and I'm sure they have very strategic reasons for it. BUT, for being a billion dollar company, I expect more that what they did, like stupidly adding a new coaster go great America and letting great escape rot away.

Re: Anybody... Disappointed, or confused by SF announcement? by ericthewanderer at 8/30/13 11:47:26 PM
Some things that I agree are confusing:SFA's Cajun themeing,SFOG's new waterpark when they already had one(although not attached)and ANOTHER SF coaster called "Goliath".
But the most stupefying and infuriating announcement was that Great Adv. is getting rid of Rolling Thunder so the new drop ride will have a larger walkway!!!!Couldn't they find a way to weave the walkway around/under existing rides?!?!?
Re: Anybody... Disappointed, or confused by SF announcement? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/31/13 2:21:02 AM
ericthewanderer said:

Some things that I agree are confusing:SFA's Cajun themeing,SFOG's new waterpark when they already had one(although not attached)and ANOTHER SF coaster called "Goliath".
But the most stupefying and infuriating announcement was that Great Adv. is getting rid of Rolling Thunder so the new drop ride will have a larger walkway!!!!Couldn't they find a way to weave the walkway around/under existing rides?!?!?

Heres the deal. Kingda Ka is Cable launched and they do not want people walking in that area but will come up under the tower beyond the cable area. They've had several cables snap or Intamin Launched and cable lift coasters. So Im guessing the baboon area will be between the walkway and Ka.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Anybody... Disappointed, or confused by SF announcement? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/31/13 9:33:33 AM
I think it is sooo lame that SFMM is adding another kiddie coaster to make sure they top Cedar Point for coaster count. In my world,kiddie coasters should not even count. It is nice to have more coasters but in the long run,having the best lineup of coasters trumps how many coasters.
Re: Anybody... Disappointed, or confused by SF announcement? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/31/13 11:54:49 AM
I agree. wild mouse and those types should be listed as another category so the parks don't buy them for the cheap credit of having more coasters. Quality over quantity. Although in some cases it'd be nice to have more than just a handful of quality coasters.

* This post was modified at 8/31/13 11:56:50 AM *

Re: Anybody... Disappointed, or confused by SF announcement? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/31/13 1:44:37 PM
Wow, Nevermind the SFMM has built a woodie, A launched and a flyer in the last five years. Sounds like SFGADV and CP better get their ass in gear. A Jr. Coaster is bonus for all the kids and it sounds like spilt milk from the other parks fanboys.

Not bashing you but Im sure kids would love more to do at SFGADV they can't ride 90 percent of whats there.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Anybody... Disappointed, or confused by SF announcement? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/31/13 2:00:48 PM
Not sure what you are getting at. All we are saying is adding a kiddie/jr coaster for the sake of boosting the coaster count was pointless. Nothing wrong about them having another thing for the younger riders to have.
As for GAdv, the last 'new coaster' was a 2nd hand one from another park and that replaced a coaster that was torn down. I think Gadv is due for a new coaster and preferably an addition than a replacement for one taken down. With RT soon to go, we deserve at least something like a racer or dueling wood coaster for a replacement.
Re: Anybody... Disappointed, or confused by SF announcement? by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 8/31/13 2:26:36 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

Wow, Nevermind the SFMM has built a woodie, A launched and a flyer in the last five years. Sounds like SFGADV and CP better get their ass in gear. A Jr. Coaster is bonus for all the kids and it sounds like spilt milk from the other parks fanboys.

Not bashing you but Im sure kids would love more to do at SFGADV they can't ride 90 percent of whats there.

Agreed. Where did this idea come from that the kiddie coaster was added soley for the record? Honestly, i've not been to SFMM so i have no idea if they need a new kiddie coaster, but perhaps it was just time for a new Jr. attraction? Heck, seems every park has a kiddie coaster,for good reason.

Re: Anybody... Disappointed, or confused by SF announcement? by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 8/31/13 4:02:53 PM
I agree with some of what you have said.

No idea why SF shows such an appalling lack of creativity with regards to their coaster naming - especially since all the past Goliaths have been steel coasters. As for confusing, such serial naming could indeed be so for the GP - they might ride Goliath at their home park and then travel to another SF park and expect that Goliath to be the same as the one at their park. In other words, what's in a name? For SF, nothing. CP does this with the "hawk" stuff, but at least those are variants and you can tell they are different rides by the slightly different name.

It's good SF Mexico is getting something worthy of attention, since it is also one of the historically neglected SF properties.

As for Great America, I also don't get why they are getting all of this love from SF all of the sudden. It does make sense for them to not have two wild mice in one park (at least SFA got the better of the two, IMO), but obviously, just because a park loses a coaster, doesn't mean it has to get an immediate replacement (and many parks don't). Especially since other parks in the chain are being neglected. And yes, one would think SFOT would be getting something new, which would be rather like CP going years w/o a new coaster.

As for the Great Adventure plans, to me that sounded just like some silly idea that a child had come up with (I would so hate for CP to do that to TTD!). Makes you wonder what they were smoking when the came up with that lulu. Not that I oppose the park getting a drop tower, as clearly it is lacking in that department and could really use one. But why not a 500ft S&S tower or something? That would cop both CP and SFMM's towers for height and wouldn't seem so much like some sort of redneck-rigged afterthought (reminds me much of those e-mails that go around where people rig up all kinds of strange stuff, like the guy who has no AC in his car and he bolts a household window unit into the back window). But clearly SF isn't known for doing too many things that make sense.

And then there's SFA - why bother to seek a variance for the height restriction and then do nothing but add a used mouse and a flying scooter? Many thought this park would get a swing like Great Adventure has, which would be a great addition to SFA (they could get rid of their puny drop tower and put it where that was). I suppose they might be planning on doing that for 2015, but I can't imagine that it would take more than a year of planning just to bring in a flat like that. I guess one can only hope they have big plans for '15, as in a coaster that goes over 200ft, something that would indeed take more than a year to design and plan. But I'm not holding my breath, since the old saying about the best way to predict future behavior is to look at past history.

Re: Anybody... Disappointed, or confused by SF announcement? by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 9/2/13 12:55:47 AM
Six flags mexico: getting a 'new' coaster besides a wild mouse type in 10 years!

I agree this looks to be a great move for SFM, which we don't get to hear too much about. Based on the photos I've seen of the Medusa it looks like a very good compact SFStL Boss-style coaster. The only thing this will do is increase the amount of people wanting RMC to do the same to Boss.

Six flags over Georgia: yes the water park was a bold move. But I think it's one in the right direction.

This was a head scratcher to me but at the same time it makes sense. Skull Island is really out of place being sandwiched between Superman and GASM in the back of the park. The only issue I see is if the park gets flooded again Hurricane Harbor will see a good chunk of it.

Six flags magic mountain: they got this one right! This park desperately needed new slides, and why not add a kiddie coaster to keep the record too?!

Great for Hurricane Harbor but at the same time I sort of wondered why they went the kiddie route as Magic Mountain seems to have found their niche as a thrill park, not so much a family park in the crowded SoCal market. Didn't they try this before but it didn't work out all that well with Thomas Town?

Six flags great adventure: while the drop tower idea is different, but the most speculated attraction for next year, I think it is a really good addition.

While an interesting idea and I'm sure Lex Luthor was a test to see if the idea of adding a freefall on a pre-existing tower would work I think a stand alone gyro drop would have been a better choice at least for capacity sakes. Not keen on the idea of Rolling Thunder coming down either but as someone else has said it was their fault for putting El Toro and Kingda Ka right next to it. I'm sure Frontier Adventures and the area around Bizarro/Medusa could use a little more investment.

Six flags la ronde: a nice addition, nice thrill flat ride

This was one of the surprises as La Ronde goes under the radar. Glad to see some flat ride additions next year at some of the parks.

St. Louis and discovery kingdom: nice addition

I agree these are good additions though still waiting for SFStL to get its signature steel coaster.

Six flags America: adding a Marti gras section. Seriously. Now what is SFGAmerica going to do now that their themed coaster for their Marti gras section is gone? Did they actually think through this?

This is not a bad idea at all. From all the b****ing you read about how bad this park is and how it seems like it never gets anything new this is a brilliant move on Six Flags' part.They are not only adding two new rides but turning the entire Southwest Territory area into the Mardi Gras theme, with three existing rides getting new names and a new restaurant. That will be a significant investment all by itself.

Personally I don't consider Ragin' Cajun a major ride at SFGAm, even though it may be popular there as it does get lost in the myriad of larger coasters the park has.

SF OVER TEXAS: considering that this is six flags flag ship park and they haven't had a thrill coaster in 13, (14 by next year) YEARS.

From what I've been reading elsewhere the kids area at SFOT was starting to look run down a bit.

The rebranding of Texas Giant into the steel New Texas Giant was just a couple of years ago. It may not look like a brand new, built from the ground up coaster but it did drastically alter a original ride into something that is looked upon as one of the greatest steel coasters to come along in some time. Unfortunately it was the scene of tragedy this summer and it's something SFOT's going to need time to heal and bounce back from it.

SF New England: I think the giant skyscreamer is unnecessary, especially since the park has a decent cellection of thrill rides.

Well they did get approval to build a ride of this size last year so now they are taking advantage of it. There's nothing wrong with adding more thrill rides. They just got Goliath last year.

Great escape: "come celebrate the 60th anniversary of the park as you try out our new (probably used) medium sized swing ride.

Though I haven't been there it seems that Great Escape has found it's niche as a more family focused park. Like La Ronde it is great that Six Flags is investing in flat rides again though there are a few bigger parks in the chain that can benefit more by them (*cough SFGADv, SFMM cough*)

SIX FLAGS GREAT AMERICA.

1. First of all, how many different coasters can you keep naming Goliath?!?!?

I am a bit disappointed in the name as a ride like this deserves its own unique brand but this just gives SF a chance to sell those SFOG or SFMM Goliath shirts that didn't sell at their respective parks at SFGAm.

2. This park just got a brand new wing B and M (one of the only new coasters for SF in 2012), so why give the only new coaster to this park again???

I think SFGAm could have waited another year before adding another coaster but at the same time I think they wanted to make use of the Iron Wolf spot as quick as possible. It really did look like an eyesore when I was there last year, especially from the train ride heading towards the County Fair station.

3. This is the 3rd wood coaster to this park!!!! This makes no sense. Breaking news next year: people won't ride american eagle anymore and it will be torn down to build a 500 foot coaster and a drop tower, while other parks rot away...

Actually fourth wooden coaster if you count Little Dipper. I don't know what the big deal is. SFStL has three wooden coasters.

I don't know where else this ride could have gone. GADv has El Toro. SFOT and SFFT have steel coasters that would offer similar experiences like Goliath. SFStL has enough wood though Iron Boss could be a future possibility.

American Eagle is still quite popular with the locals so I don't think it's going anywhere.

4. Why take out Cajun to leave another hole in the park???

My prediction for 2015 - A 180-foot Skyscreamer but called French Quarter Flyer.

My only park in Arkansas hasn't seen a new attraction AT ALL in 5 years, unless you count a surf simulator in 2010, and a kids water play area in 2013. But no coaster in 7, 8 years, no new thrill rides, no flag rides, and a mini forest growing under the SLC because they won't mow it.

Not sure how you can equate the situation at Magic Springs with what Six Flags is doing for their parks as they are two different companies. Not to start any hot rumors but by the sound of what you're saying could Magic Springs be "Geauga'd" in the future by ditching the rides and become a water park only since it seems they are only adding water park stuff? Looking at the park map it would be easy to do since the water park is right inside the entrance.

G-Dog

* This post was modified at 9/2/13 12:57:21 AM *

Re: Anybody... Disappointed, or confused by SF announcement? by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 9/2/13 10:23:33 AM
This is what I think.

Over Georgia - Theme parks will always do better to have water parks near by. This was a good idea. A big roller coaster was just added in 2011. We should get another big dry ride in 2015.

Magic Mountain - There is not a lot for the kids to do; might as well keep the coaster record and make the little ones happy. Backwards coasters do nothing for we at all !

Great Adventure - I will not miss Rolling Thunder in the least. This is a very busy park. What they need is something that will give this ton of people something to do. I really like the look of Zumanjaro, but that El Toro / Kingda Ka area will be an even bigger mess of people.

America - I don't like this park. They might as well move another terrible ride to it. A Marti Gras area makes sense in an America themed park.

Over Texas - This is the original but there are many others that do more business. They just got a new "tallest" SkyScreamer. If they get New Texas Giant running again, that will only be three years old. New kid's rides and new water slides make sense in Texas because it normally feels very hot.

Great America - I am all in favor of getting rid of Ragin' Cajun. It was the most painful spinning wild mouse. I don't like the name Goliath at all. Truefully I have not ridden a ride by Rocky Mountain Construction yet, but what I have seen and heard looks and sounds great. This has to fit in a small space, but the height, speed, steepness, and airtime sound nice.

* This post was modified at 9/2/13 10:28:31 AM *

Re: Anybody... Disappointed, or confused by SF announcement? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 9/2/13 10:41:47 AM
I still think SFA has something up their sleeves. The comment in the other thread about RMCing Wild One has me dumbfounded, but I wouldn't be surprised if they build off of what they are laying down now to bring in something big and groundbreaking in 2015 and beyond.

Even though people will continue to always put SFA at the bottom of the chain, I have very strong faith in the execs at SFA. I don't believe they would have fought to have that height restriction extended if they were content on just bringing over mediocre, used rides for the next five years. The idea to revitalize a dead section of the park gives me hope they see the potential in this park.

Re: Anybody... Disappointed, or confused by SF announcement? by alpengeistno3 at 9/2/13 1:00:51 PM
antikythera said:

I still think SFA has something up their sleeves. The comment in the other thread about RMCing Wild One has me dumbfounded, but I wouldn't be surprised if they build off of what they are laying down now to bring in something big and groundbreaking in 2015 and beyond.

Even though people will continue to always put SFA at the bottom of the chain, I have very strong faith in the execs at SFA. I don't believe they would have fought to have that height restriction extended if they were content on just bringing over mediocre, used rides for the next five years. The idea to revitalize a dead section of the park gives me hope they see the potential in this park.

I said this in the "New for 2014" thread, but it is worth saying here, too. If SFA is planning this, it would be the BIGGEST WASTE of capital in the history of theme parks. The whole RMC treatment is supposed to be used on rough, declining ridership woodies. Wild One is far from either.

Can you imagine the outrage at the announcement next year that Wild One will be closing for the rest of the year sometime in July? Even if they didn't announce why, it could cripple the rides side of the park. It used to be called "Wild World" for a reason!

Paul

Re: Anybody... Disappointed, or confused by SF announcement? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 9/2/13 3:31:31 PM
I don't doubt it Paul. I think it would be incredibly stupid as well, aside from the marketing opportunities -- nonetheless, I really think that rumor is a long shot. But again, as someone in the other thread mentioned, crazier things have happened.

I personally think SFA has been sitting on prime real estate for a long while, waiting to make a big splash when the time is right. I don't know when that is or what it will be, but I hope it brings us some respect in the enthusiast world. It gets tiresome to have to defend your homepark from naysayers. I was one of them for a while but I've come to appreciate SFA for what it delivers in such a small package.

Re: Anybody... Disappointed, or confused by SF announcement? by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 9/3/13 1:47:55 AM
I also can't imagine that SFA would go thru the trouble to get their height limit relaxed for no reason. Rumor had it that they were going to put in a swing like the one at SF Great Adventure, but obviously that has not come to fruition, at least not this year. I suppose they might be intent on doing that for '15, but that would also make for yet another year without a new coaster (also can't imagine that they would need a whole year to plan on installing a flat ride).
Clearly they must have plans at some point down the line to put in a ride that exceeds 200ft, whether it be a flat ride or a coaster. No idea what that might be if it ever ends up being a coaster, since they already have a non-looping hyper, and any invert or woodie will be under 200ft for sure. Also don't see them building another woodie, since they already have two. This can lead to a lot of speculation, but also to a lot of disappointment (in this regard, SFA is a bit like a sports team that pretty much always finishes dead last, regardless of how high the fans' hopes are at the beginning of the season).

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.