Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > TR: Six Flags Great Adventure Today 8/30: Toro Lives!

TR: Six Flags Great Adventure Today 8/30: Toro Lives!

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
8/30/13 at
9:04:28 PM

Toro re-opened today after a closure of at least two weeks. I had the three best rides I've had this season. The airtime on the last hill was more insane than usual..tried to (bleep) up my lower back. But I'm OK. Okay, now that THAT great news is out of the way...

I was originally supposed to have a half day (1pm leave) at work today. But my team was informed late Wednesday that our presence today would NOT be required. So I decided to head down for a few morning rides before it got crowded. I let Jen know I was going and she met me. There was a Scotty McCreery concert tonight, and of course, the Friday of a holiday weekend is a bit unpredictable. We didn't do a lot of riding, but the crowd was pretty light. I was there at opening, and left just past 4:30.

We started the day with a front seat ride on the soon-to-depart Rolling Thunder. Ride has no speed and both operating trains are rolling advertisements for Twix candy. It was a rather pleasant ride, though.

After the Toro rides, we hit Medusa (I try not to use the "B" word) for three laps, switching seats after each into empties. I took one in Row 2 while Jen rode front. Medusa is not a particularly enjoyable ride in the front seat. Oddly the fire effect was off on my first ride in the back, but not the other 2.

I decided I would be willing to try the Safari. I've been going to GrAdv since 1974, and never went through it in any form. Jen was willing, despite having been on at least 8 times already. She had a handicap pass, and used it only on the Safari. It was about 1pm, and she got a return time of 2:15. So we split up to eat. She headed to Best Of The West. We both have the meal plan, so I headed to the Coke Freestyle station to pick up a drink. Unfortunately, my Minute Maid Light Orange Lemonade (all Minute Maid, actually) was not available. I found Seagrams Diet Cherry Ginger Ale, which was very tasty. I headed for Superhero Snacks near Superman/Green Lantern. I had never had the sausage sandwich, and the meal plan made it something I wanted to try this season. It was God-awful. Very bland, and the roll was like cardboard. Fries were very good, though.

I met Jen at a smoking area near Toro and we headed to the Safari. I'm not much on animals, but I wanted to see what the experience was like. I actually enjoyed it for a coupla reasons. It was kinda hot in the park proper, but breezy, cool, and shady amid the trees. And I was surprised how much I felt like I was no longer in the park. That was a weird feeling. We didn't get off at the "midway camp." I don't know if I'd bother with it again, but I'm glad I did it once. Kira, our guide, was funny and knowledgeable (and looking rather cute in those shorts!)

We took the Skyride to the other end of the park after scoping out the line for Runaway Train..we skipped it, which I rarely do. The blue train has been painted lime green and is overlaid with ads for an insurance company. Jen Tells me this is VERY recent.

Waited about 15 minutes for our backseat Nitro ride. I still love the ride, but there was some severe turbulence on the first two drops today.

I realized my gray-outs are much more frequent as I get older.

Other than Toro, the coolest thing I saw today was a replica of Starsky and Hutch's iconic red Ford Torino with the white stripe for sale by the side of the road.

It was one of of those days where I saw the same people often. But we were getting some laughs out of this group of late-teen-early-20's guys, all of whom were wearinh "hats" in the form of mushrooms..as in the Mario Brothers game. I'm amazed they didn't lose them, as they were not always holding onto them while riding.

I'll be attending the ACE Riding of the Bull event next week as Jen's guest. Good to know the evening's centerpiece is healthy again. Nighttime ERT, here I come!

Thanks for reading, as always.

Mike

* This post was modified at 8/30/13 9:07:06 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: TR: Six Flags Great Adventure Today 8/30: Toro Lives! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/30/13 10:03:45 PM
The advertising wrap on The Runaway Train wasn't there on Monday. Why would a company pay money to do that now when the season is almost over?

Poor Runaway Train!

It's been defiled!

It was a beautiful thing when we got there and they were testing trains. It opened pretty quickly after that.

YAY!

They were announcing the last day to ride Rolling Thunder while we were on the platform for ET. Here's the new ride posters that are throughout the park:

So my day ended with a flat tire when I got to my car. UGH! Called AAA and they tell me my account was cancelled! My card says it's good until 4/2014. They inform me if I renew today and need immediate assistance it will cost me an extra $75! Oh HELL no! I went back in but naturally Gadv stopped providing free vehicle assistance. The security guard got me numbers of local companies and one changed it for $40 so screw you AAA! Thank God I have a full size spare that's brand new so I suppose this could have been a lot worse.

When I was leaving the park there were hundreds of people pouring in - I could barely get out since everyone always has to walk in the car lane and spread across it. One day I'm going to run over someone just to teach them a lesson. ;-)

Jen

Re: TR: Six Flags Great Adventure Today 8/30: Toro Lives! by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/30/13 10:23:31 PM
Your parking lot is one of the worst, I am sorry to say. Can that be a goal of 2015. XD
Re: TR: Six Flags Great Adventure Today 8/30: Toro Lives! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/30/13 10:36:39 PM
antikythera said:

Your parking lot is one of the worst, I am sorry to say. Can that be a goal of 2015. XD

It was an old rust screw that got imbedded. While that sucked if I have to choose between the rumored new coaster or paving the parking lot for 2015 I'm going to have to go with the coaster. I'll just make sure I renew my AAA and have a functional spare on hand! :-)

Jen

Re: TR: Six Flags Great Adventure Today 8/30: Toro Lives! by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/30/13 11:00:38 PM
beastmaster said:

I'll be attending the ACE Riding of the Bull event next week as Jen's guest. Good to know the evening's centerpiece is healthy again. Nighttime ERT, here I come!
Mike

I'll be at that event.
I expect to bump into you two at some point.
It is a long day...

Mike B.
Re: TR: Six Flags Great Adventure Today 8/30: Toro Lives! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/30/13 11:16:39 PM
MABrider said:

beastmaster said:

Mike

I'll be at that event.
It is a long day...

Just don't step on my bad foot when you bunp into me, LOL!

See you then!

Jen

Re: TR: Six Flags Great Adventure Today 8/30: Toro Lives! by alpengeistno3 at 8/31/13 2:17:33 AM
Disgusting what they have done to Runaway Train! The only reason I can think that someone would wait this late in the season is to capitalize on the busy Halloween season at a discounted rate. Wonder if those ugly green panels will glow in the dark?

I guess (said in Lightning Racer announce voice) "the winner is... El Toro!" Still nothing on I-305 :(

Paul

Re: TR: Six Flags Great Adventure Today 8/30: Toro Lives! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/31/13 7:26:37 AM
MABrider said:

beastmaster said:

Mike

I'll be at that event.
It is a long day...

Verrrry long. But sadly, that 1.5 hours of ERT on Toro will go quickly. we're also likely buying our SP for 2015 that day. Will you be there for the early check-in, Mike, or arriving later?

T.O.M. (the other Mike)

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: TR: Six Flags Great Adventure Today 8/30: Toro Lives! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/31/13 10:31:28 AM
beastmaster said:

MABrider said:

beastmaster said:

Mike

I'll be at that event.
It is a long day...

Verrrry long. But sadly, that 1.5 hours of ERT on Toro will go quickly. we're also likely buying our SP for 2015 that day. Will you be there for the early check-in, Mike, or arriving later?

T.O.M. (the other Mike)

You can't check in later - must be during the morning check in time (unless you made other arrangements with Bret).

Jen

Re: TR: Six Flags Great Adventure Today 8/30: Toro Lives! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/31/13 1:19:38 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Disgusting what they have done to Runaway Train! The only reason I can think that someone would wait this late in the season is to capitalize on the busy Halloween season at a discounted rate. Wonder if those ugly green panels will glow in the dark?

I guess (said in Lightning Racer announce voice) "the winner is... El Toro!" Still nothing on I-305 :(

Paul

If they did the entire train in the blue and electric green it wouldn't look as bad - it's leaving the original train wrapped only on the sides that makes it even worse. At the very least Gadv should have some policy that requires wrapping to match the train/theme (like the KIA on ET - that blends in the best out of all of them I've seen). This is getting ridiculous.

They put the stupid hair gel advertisement back on KK too - I HATE that train!

Jen

Re: TR: Six Flags Great Adventure Today 8/30: Toro Lives! by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/1/13 12:44:39 PM
beastmaster said:

T.O.M. (the other Mike)

Did you get Bret Ulozas' latest email?
He ended it with this:

"1 1/2 hours of Epic evening ERT on El Toro
Here is the kicker
After our ERT, Great Adventure is allowing us to enjoy the park till 12:00am with the Fairgrounds group.
This is no charge to you. Great Adventure thought you might like to ride every major attraction till 12:00a "

That should provide even more opportunities to ride the coasters of our choice.

Mike B.
Re: TR: Six Flags Great Adventure Today 8/30: Toro Lives! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/1/13 1:06:10 PM
MABrider said:

beastmaster said:

T.O.M. (the other Mike)

Did you get Bret Ulozas' latest email?
He ended it with this:

"1 1/2 hours of Epic evening ERT on El Toro
Here is the kicker
After our ERT, Great Adventure is allowing us to enjoy the park till 12:00am with the Fairgrounds group.
This is no charge to you. Great Adventure thought you might like to ride every major attraction till 12:00a "

That should provide even more opportunities to ride the coasters of our choice.

He doesn't get the e-mails because he's not a member but he knows about the PPT. I for one will not be on ET for 1 1/2 hrs straight - I get SO bored after 3-4 consecutive rides so I anticipate will be moving on to bigger and better green things earlier than the others if you know what I mean... ;-)

Jen

Re: TR: Six Flags Great Adventure Today 8/30: Toro Lives! by antikythera antikythera Profile at 9/1/13 7:40:07 PM
Has Bret been sending out regular emails? I haven't received anything. Assuming he just hasn't processed it yet since I chose to mail it in.
Re: TR: Six Flags Great Adventure Today 8/30: Toro Lives! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/1/13 7:44:37 PM
antikythera said:

Has Bret been sending out regular emails? I haven't received anything. Assuming he just hasn't processed it yet since I chose to mail it in.

You get more updates and info on Facebook (which I know you have seen) - you're not missing anything. Don't worry. :-)

Jen