Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > What do you guys like about roller coasters?

What do you guys like about roller coasters?

zach_

Posted:
8/29/13 at
11:29:29 AM

I'm doing a survey to see what are the main things that people love about roller coasters today. Things such as what type of G forces do you like the most? (zero g's - "airtime" and positive g's which is being pushed down into your seat) Also do you like the new modern steel coasters with inversions, or do you guys still enjoy the old wooden ones with steep drops and rickety tracks better? Please let me know and help. Thanks guys!

Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 8/29/13 5:03:59 PM
Likes in order of importance- airtime (aka butt off the seat), fast launches, large drops, creative inversions, abrupt turns/embankments, some woodie ricketyness,

Dislikes - positive Gs, rough steel inversions (aka Arrow), leg banging (ejector air with crap restraints), head banging.

Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/29/13 6:07:14 PM
Negative G's (airtime) and launches are my favorite elements. I LOVE that "wee" feeling (butterflies in the stomach) so good hills or a fast launch is a must to be one of my top coasters.

Jen

Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/29/13 6:08:26 PM
I like sheer speed. Some of my favorite coasters (Volcano, Superman, Millennium Force, I305, Jokers Jinx, Flight of Fear, etc) wouldn't be the same without it.

I do like airtime, but it's second to the rush I get from the feeling of uncontrollable speed after a first drop or launch. One exception is the ejector airtime on the second hill of Superman at SFA. It's my favorite part of that ride or any ride for that matter.

I prefer steel -- as I get older, my head can't deal with the rattling of wooden coasters. I still like them, I just get sick quicker off of them.

Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/29/13 8:46:43 PM
HamptonRoadsRider said:

Likes in order of importance- airtime (aka butt off the seat), fast launches, large drops, creative inversions, abrupt turns/embankments, some woodie ricketyness,

Dislikes - positive Gs, rough steel inversions (aka Arrow), leg banging (ejector air with crap restraints), head banging.

I agree with alot that you said. Although I don't think of Arrow when it comes to positive-G inversions; S-kopf with those circular vertical loops is the first manufacturer that comes to mind. I actually liked the positive-G's within Scorpion's vertical loop....And of course I wouldn't be myself if I didn't mention how awesome most tunnels are. :)

* This post was modified at 8/29/13 8:52:10 PM *

Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by Frontrider at 8/29/13 10:25:11 PM
LOVES/LIKES - Woodies are my favorites. I've been on 73 woodies and they ALL make my Top 100 (out of 309) as I can't think of 27 steel coasters I prefer over my lowest rated woodie!

My fave elements/features of woodies are airtime (floater and ejector), big drops, parabolic camelbacks designed for maximum air, laterals (especially when occurring WITH the airtime), speed, intensity, pacing, aggression, physicality. Alleged "roughness" (getting tossed around, shuffling, etc) doesn't bother me one bit - in fact, I quite like it! Long ride time, tunnels, terrain, and a surprise-filled layout are awesome too. I consider The Voyage at Holiday World the most PERFECT coaster ever created!

Steel - any coaster that mimics traditional wood elements like camelbacks and airtime (esp. hypers and B&M hypers), lets you ride with lapbars, and keeps the inversion count perfect (ie zero) are going to be my favorites. I don't hate inversions but I prefer it when they don't dominate a ride. (ie - one after another over and over again with no elements in between)

DISLIKES - I really dislike positive g's quite a bit. I don't care for full-circuit coasters that have the train turned the wrong way (backwards) as I like the visual of seeing the track fly under me while the wind blows in my face. I don't care for random spinning mice - I'd prefer the option to lock my car facing forward the whole way. I don't care for Boomerangs or Flyers. The Vekoma flyers are too uncomfortable and disorienting for my taste and the extreme positive G's in B&M's "pretzel loop" make me black out. All of the "gimmicky" coasters described in this paragraph are usually just "one and done" "credits" for me.

Policies - I like parks that let you wait as long as you want for the front, back, or any other row and also don't close queue lines until the posted closing time. (The first of these is the most important to me). Thankfully, the vast majority of parks I've visited comply with these philosophies.

Fave wood - Voyage, Boulderdash, Boss, Boardwalk Bullet, Rampage (SBNO) - all CCI/Gravity Group rides!

Fave steel - Nitro, Carowinds Intimidator, Goliath (SFOG), Apollo's Chariot, Raging Bull - all B&M hypers! (I haven't yet ridden Diamondback or the ones in Canada)

* This post was modified at 8/29/13 11:43:55 PM *

Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 8/29/13 10:27:16 PM
Speed is king for me. Airtime along with that speed = perfection. I tend to slightly prefer large drops to get the high speeds instead of launches.

I tend to enjoy smooth steel coasters more, just because the majority of them are just easier for me to just totally let go and just take in the ride experience, and not have to brace myself. However, I'd never turn down a good wooden coaster.

Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 8/30/13 7:02:34 AM
I think my general preferences are best summed up by the phrase "out of control."

I like rides that have sudden, violent transitions, so I like extreme lateral and negative Gs. Floaty air, not so much. A sense of speed can be fun, and I love coasters that are built onto the terrain like the Holiday World 3, Boulder Dash, Expedition GeForce and Phantom's Revenge that combine it with world class ride experiences; but it's not something that makes or breaks a coaster for me.

In general, I tend to prefer wooden coasters to steel because they more generally feature these sorts of elements, or the design of the train highlights these elements more. Classic case, Phoenix. It's a great wooden coaster with great negative G moments that are made that much better by the older style PTC trains that give you plenty of room to come out of your seat on those hills.

On the steel end of things, the only manufacturer that consistently designs rides that have much of this at all is Intamin, and even most of their designs are fairly predictible in their flow, though they do at least feature good ride flow from element to element.

Positive Gs I can generally take or leave, I've yet to ride a coaster where I think they are actually a highlight, but I do still need to ride Intimidator 305, a coaster which is both built for my preferences and which features a powerful postive G element.

Michael W.
237: 64 (20 CCI/GG) / 173
Voyage / Eurosat
R.I.P.: Riverside Cyclone...
Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/30/13 6:35:27 PM
I prefer steel coasters because they are smoother and i love the speed and heights. It's been a while since i last rode a hyper coaster, but i love coasters with inversions. The main elements i do not like are the pretzel loop on the b&m flyers and cobra roll on inverts. I305 was a great ride. Even though it is a giga coaster, it has more in common with something like maverick in hugging close to the ground with quick left-right transitions. The newer restraints have made it more tolerable compared to the old restraint that felt like neck chopping at every turn.
Some wood coasters i can ride (including the coney island cyclone), but not as many as i would like (of the ones i have rode so far).

* This post was modified at 8/30/13 6:39:14 PM *

Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 8/31/13 3:37:26 PM
I like coasters that have a lot of airtime, whether it be the floating kind or the rip you out of your seat kind (but only if I'm not going to be slammed into a restraint, as that can be painful). I'm also not too fond of positive g's, nor do I care for sustained laterals. I also like the feeling of blistering speed as well.

In general I like steel coasters better than woodies, if only for the fact that many woodies are rough and I can't do much re-riding these days.

And for steel coasters I prefer the non-looping kind, as I'm not that into inversions, especially not straight up loops that press you into your seat. I do like some corkscrew type inversions (not on Arrows!), like those on the Volcano at KD, which has a nice floaty zero g sensation in those elements.

Speaking of loops, I think that loops on woodies are nothing but a gimmick and are unnecessary - in that regard I'm more of a purist - I want my woodies to be more like the classic version of the ride. I don't mind at all if they ride nice and smooth like El Toro, but if you are going to do loops, you might as well just go ahead and build a steel coaster.

Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by Stredain Stredain Profile at 9/6/13 12:46:57 PM
I prefer the sensation of flying and having my heart race! I also like the feeling of being pushed back into my seat as well as the feeling my stomach is going to climb up into my throat. The big drops combined with the loops and the curves- oh my, I am in heaven!
I also enjoy the wind in my hair and the feeling of giddy excitement! I dont know what the terms means, but I love the steel coasters!
Stredain
Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/6/13 12:56:59 PM
Stredain said:

I also enjoy the wind in my hair
Stredain

So do I! Oh, wait....

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 9/7/13 10:34:38 PM
Overbanked said:

I agree with alot that you said. Although I don't think of Arrow when it comes to positive-G inversions;

Yeah probably not all that intense, but with the arrow positive g's i think of say loch ness at bottom of loops, i get a somewhat "crushing" feeling there. I dont look forward to that.

I should have mentioned feeling 10 years old when you walk towards the palk entrance and see the coasters running! Love that feeling, especially with my daughter next to me skipping along :-)

Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 9/9/13 12:35:48 PM
Little late to this but...why not?

First, I love coasters for the obvious, speed, height, the wind, and that feeling in your stomach, but also another reason too.

This is going to sound very cheesy...but I love coasters because it's an escape. Besides all of the things I love about amusement parks as well, when I'm on a roller coaster, either by myself or with my friends, nothing else matters. I'm in a pure moment of having fun without any distractions. I'm hundreds of feet from the ground, I'm flying through the air in crazy ways, I'm zooming by trees and structures in seconds, I'm laughing or screaming with friends or strangers, and I'm not thinking about anything else.

I just get to forget everything I left outside of the park. That's one of my favorite things about my favorite ride ever, it's setting has a way of just making me happy.

Nitro at Six Flags Great Adventure is my favorite ride, and it's in the perfect spot. New Jersey is my home, it's where I was born and raised, and Nitro shows you a spectacular view of the state. I really love it. Even though I'm 230ft off the ground I smile and prepare for the drop, because I know for the next 2 plus minutes I'm going to forget about everything and just have fun!

* This post was modified at 9/9/13 2:00:06 PM *

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/9/13 1:10:37 PM
mugen828 said:

First, I love coasters for the obvious, speed, height, the wind, and that feeling in your stomach, but also another reason too.

This is going to sound very cheesy...but I love coasters because it's an escape. Besides all of the things I love about amusement parks as well, when I'm on a roller coaster, either by myself or with my friends, nothing else matters. I'm in a pure moment of having fun without any distractions. I'm hundreds of feet from the ground, I'm flying through the air in crazy ways, I'm zooming by trees and structures in seconds, I'm laughing or screaming with friends or strangers, and I'm not thinking about anything else.

I just get to forget everything I left outside of the park. That's one of my favorite things about my favorite ride ever, it's setting has a way of just making me happy.

Nitro at Six Flags Great Adventur is my favorite ride, and it's in the perfect spot. New Jersey is my home, it's where I was born and raised, and Nitro shows you a spectacular view of the state. I really love it. Even though I'm 230ft off the ground I smile and prepare for the drop, because I know for the next 2 plus minutes I'm going to forget about everything and just have fun!

I totally get what you're saying. Riding coasters is an escape for me also. I have other hobbies and interests, but nothing beats a day at an amusement park. I'm very fortunate that all my kids enjoy it also, and we can share that experience together. In fact my daughter has the same level of enthusiasm as I do. Great post Kyle.

Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/9/13 5:07:27 PM
mugen828 said:

Nitro at Six Flags Great Adventure is my favorite ride, and it's in the perfect spot. New Jersey is my home, it's where I was born and raised, and Nitro shows you a spectacular view of the state. I really love it. Even though I'm 230ft off the ground I smile and prepare for the drop, because I know for the next 2 plus minutes I'm going to forget about everything and just have fun!

I agree 100%!!!!

Jen

Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by boesball at 9/9/13 5:37:13 PM
Favorite rides with reasons:
1 Voyage: out of control, tunnels, airtime, and laterals.

2 Beast: out of control, tunnels, nalstalgically, and laterals.

3 Millenium Force: speed and first drop.

4 Montu: inversions, feet choppers, and kindness

Hmm. It looks like to me the atmosphere and surroundings helps for me. Especially Montu, Voyage, and Beast all have great obstacles.

Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/9/13 9:52:15 PM
My profile photo says it all.
That, combined with smooth rolling stock no matter what the size, shape and material(s) used to make the coaster, makes a winning combination for me.
Mike B.
Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/9/13 9:59:24 PM
boesball said:

4 Montu: inversions, feet choppers, and kindness

Kindness? Interesting, I never heard a coaster referred to with that term. I'll take it that kindness = smooth and comfortable. :)

Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by boesball at 9/9/13 11:04:39 PM
That was supposed to be longness as in it lasts very long for an invert. Oh well, stupid auto correct
Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/10/13 2:10:17 AM
^^^Yeah, I like lengthy coasters as well, and Montu definitely fits the bill. The Voyage is the first that comes to my mind with it's awesome relentless lengthy track.
Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by Coaster316 at 9/10/13 7:38:51 AM
boesball said:

Hmm. It looks like to me the atmosphere and surroundings helps for me. Especially Montu, Voyage, and Beast all have great obstacles.

Good list. Welcome to URC. Glad to see you posting here and I hope you stick around.

I agree with several of your criteria, including nostalgia and atmosphere. That goes a long way for me.

Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 9/10/13 8:37:32 AM
For me it's about the drops, especially the first one. The feeling of being yanked over the hills in the back seat is close to euphoria for me.

I like airtime. If you can get my butt off the seat that is a plus in my book. With that being said I don't understand how anyone can like the ejector type airtime as I don't care for feeling like the ride is trying to toss me out.

The location and surroundings of a coaster is also a plus. The Beast and Voyage enveloped by woods and feeling secluded from the rest of the park adds to the experience. Magnum's location by the lake, cresting the top of the second hill and seeing the boats nearby, adds a little extra something to the ride.

G-Dog

Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by boesball at 9/10/13 9:45:20 PM
To put it all in a nut shell, length is very important. I'd rather wait 30 minutes in line for 3 minutes of riding than 1 minute 30 seconds.
Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/10/13 11:34:40 PM
Overbanked said:

^^^Yeah, I like lengthy coasters as well, and Montu definitely fits the bill. The Voyage is the first that comes to my mind with it's awesome relentless lengthy track.

Agreed. I feel if a ride is too short (under 3000') it is a bit of a disappointment. I guess I'm spoiled by the Sea World-BG parks for having such great coasters. I love Montu because it is just the perfect blend of smoothness and also intensity that makes it so reridable. B:tr, well not a slam on it, but it is short and probably crams in a little too much in it's space, so you can't really catch your breath and makes it tough for me to reride it as immediately as Montu.

* This post was modified at 9/10/13 11:35:36 PM *

Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by boesball at 9/11/13 6:19:16 PM
Rides that are difficult to re-ride are usually good coasters. I mean, my top four are all difficult to re-ride besides Millennium Force.
Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/12/13 1:18:10 PM
Not necessarily, it seems you'd be lucky to get a reride at CP's top attractions, but other places some rides like I305, you may have at most a 30+min wait. It's more to do with the location than being tough to get a reride.
Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by Speedster Speedster Profile at 9/13/13 7:24:28 PM
1. Height 2. Speed 3. Smoothness 4. "Thrill" factor.
I guess that explains why I-305, Millenium Force, Maverick and TTD are my four favorites. These are the only coasters where I feel true exhilaration during and after every ride. I also LOVE the quick changes in direction on I-305 and Maverick.

Obviously, I prefer steel over wood. Most woodies can't deliver the speed, height and smoothness I crave. Airtime is not a big draw for me, except if there are quick bursts of it (like the hills after the first drops on I-305 and Maverick... or the bunny hill near the end of MF). On Apollo's Chariot or Intimidator, for example, I find the airtime to be fun but not necessarily thrilling.

I don't get a big thrill out of inversions EXCEPT on inverted coasters! I love flying through loops and cobra rolls with my feet flying toward the sky. That's a main reason 3 of my top 10 favorites are inverts.

I also like to do rapid repeats on my favorites. Last year, I rode I-305 15 times in three hours. (5-8 p.m. in early June - could get off and right back on. No lines except for 10-15 minutes for the front. I was in heaven!). For me, rapid repeats are harder to do on most woodies... I once rode The Boss at SFSL 11 times in six hours. It's my #3 woodie, but I had to stop after 11 rides because I was getting a pretty bad headache. That never happens to me on a smooth steel coaster.

Thrill me with height and speed, baby... and keep it smooth!

* This post was modified at 9/13/13 9:30:16 PM *

Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 9/14/13 6:52:55 AM
The Good:
1. Negative G's - Floating airtime; you are lifted out of of your seat
2. Long steep drops - If you go under ground or close to water at the bottom that is the best
3. Speed - A drop or a launch are both good
4. Terrain - Tunnels, trees, water, natural hills, rock formations all add to the experience
5. Unusual parts of the trains - Being floorless, an invert, a flyer, suspended, or a stand-up can improve the ride
6. Inversions - Dive loops, standard loops, Immelmanns, in-line twists, cobra rolls, pretzel loops, and corkscrews are all good; they are best on B&M's
7. Themes - Sometimes there is a story involved; many coaster have nice paint jobs where the track and supports go together very well

The Bad:
1. Restraints that either kill my neck or legs - I am in too much pain to enjoy anything
2. Strong lateral g forces that bang me to either side - again, there is too much pain if I am being hit
3. Strong negative g forces that try to hurt me against the restraint

Re: What do you guys like about roller coasters? by boesball at 9/14/13 8:41:22 PM
Speedster said:

1. Height 2. Speed 3. Smoothness 4. "Thrill" factor.
I guess that explains why I-305, Millenium Force, Maverick and TTD are my four favorites. These are the only coasters where I feel true exhilaration during and after every ride. I also LOVE the quick changes in direction on I-305 and Maverick.

Obviously, I prefer steel over wood. Most woodies can't deliver the speed, height and smoothness I crave. Airtime is not a big draw for me, except if there are quick bursts of it (like the hills after the first drops on I-305 and Maverick... or the bunny hill near the end of MF). On Apollo's Chariot or Intimidator, for example, I find the airtime to be fun but not necessarily thrilling.

I don't get a big thrill out of inversions EXCEPT on inverted coasters! I love flying through loops and cobra rolls with my feet flying toward the sky. That's a main reason 3 of my top 10 favorites are inverts.

I also like to do rapid repeats on my favorites. Last year, I rode I-305 15 times in three hours. (5-8 p.m. in early June - could get off and right back on. No lines except for 10-15 minutes for the front. I was in heaven!). For me, rapid repeats are harder to do on most woodies... I once rode The Boss at SFSL 11 times in six hours. It's my #3 woodie, but I had to stop after 11 rides because I was getting a pretty bad headache. That never happens to me on a smooth steel coaster.

Thrill me with height and speed, baby... and keep it smooth!

I once rode a rough woody at Michigan's Adventures called Shivering Timbers 17 times in 1 hour 45 minutes. It was this year on memorial day from opening to 2 hours after. My goal was 25, but I had to stop because I was dying almost. It's still a great ride. Wood trips trumps steel usually.