Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > So you want to ride Sonny? Take a look!

So you want to ride Sonny? Take a look!

CoasterFanatic

Posted:
4/4/00 at
1:24:53 AM

Take a look below and tell me this don't bring a new name to fear!

The link is to a cincinnati enquire picture of the first drop and loop in full size!

Chuck

The best Son of Beast Pic Yet!

Re: So you want to ride Sonny? Take a look! by acer at 4/4/00 1:38:39 AM

Hey Chuck

I posted the link to that photo 2 days ago, but thanks for posting it again. There are a few people who don't seem to scroll down the message board.

Since I will be a PKI on Saturday, I'm looking forward to seeing Sonny again. The tour that PKI is offering should be awesome. The last time I was a PKI the parts for the loop were sitting in the parking lot and under the front gate. My first look at Sonny was on May 11, 1999, at that time there was little more than orange flags to look at, as Summer changed to Fall, Sonny grew rapidly and I have yet to see a photo that really does him justice.

acer

Re: So you want to ride Sonny? Take a look! by chillforce chillforce Profile at 4/4/00 1:44:10 AM

Hey if that drives fear into a person, then they should give the hobby up. Just my HO.

Ed

Re: So you want to ride Sonny? Take a look! by acer at 4/4/00 2:00:58 AM

Ed, I agree! I'm not afraid to ride Sonny, I'm eagerly awaiting his completion so I can ride and ride and ride. It's going to be a great year to live in the Mid-West. We are lucky to be surrounded by eight new coasters this year, nine if you count the Wild Mouse at SFKK. Sonny, Milli, The Legend, The Boss, The Villain, Batman Knight Flight and Superman Ultimate Escape are diffinately on my list of "must ride".

We were fortunate enough to do the SFO Construction Tour on 3/23/00. Believe me, you will not recognize the old Geauga Lake.

acer

Re: So you want to ride Sonny? Take a look! by chillforce chillforce Profile at 4/4/00 2:09:06 AM

Shame I will not because that is what I do remember is the old Geauga Lake and I tend to have these flashbacks of what was and if good, I say why change it. This is the case with Geauga Lake. I liked this park a lot, I hope that it is not a cookie cutter SF park like the rest. I keep saying over and over again that Premier/Six Flags is good except that make all the parks look the same except when making the coasters, they give a different visual. I don t think this is on purpose, just something they have done, but I am tired of the same Main Street everywhere.

Ed

I call it Six Flagging! by acer at 4/4/00 2:18:04 AM

You are right, there are times when progress ain't necessarily a good thing.

acer

Re: So you want to ride Sonny? Take a look! by Coaster 3:16 at 4/4/00 7:10:13 AM

> Hey Chuck I posted the link to that photo 2
> days ago, but thanks for posting it again.
> There are a few people who don't seem to
> scroll down the message board. Since I will
> be a PKI on Saturday, I'm looking forward to
> seeing Sonny again. The tour that PKI is
> offering should be awesome. The last time I
> was a PKI the parts for the loop were
> sitting in the parking lot and under the
> front gate. My first look at Sonny was on
> May 11, 1999, at that time there was little
> more than orange flags to look at, as Summer
> changed to Fall, Sonny grew rapidly and I
> have yet to see a photo that really does him
> justice. acer

acer,

With all due respect, if you haven't been onsite since the loop was sitting in the parking lot how do you know the pictures aren't doing the coaster justice? Maybe it isn't much to look at after all. I'm betting that I'm wrong, but that just seemed like a pretty tough statement to make for someone who hasn't seen it in a couple of months.

- Coaster 3:16 hastd

Re: So you want to ride Sonny? Take a look! by HULKMAN at 4/4/00 8:58:26 AM

> Take a look below and tell me this don't
> bring a new name to fear! The link is to a
> cincinnati enquire picture of the first drop
> and loop in full size! Chuck

I don't feel fear from this picture but excitement. SOB looks like it will be alott of fun but I hope not too rough. Now the pictures of MF cedar point create alittle fear. It's just down right scary looking.

Splitting hairs! by acer at 4/4/00 2:41:20 PM

I have friends in low places, who's opinion I value. Besides, I am going from past experience, My Oct 31 photos of Sonny in know way do him justice.

Maybe I should have been more clear, but I thought those who read my post could tell, I was stating my opinion, ie "I have yet to see a photo that really does him justice". Maybe you have, that would be your opinion, which you are entitled to state on this board.

Posts like your's are why I don't post on this board more often. When I state my opinion, there is almost always someone out there who wants to argue with me

acer

You bet I want to ride Sonny!!! =0 by swOHman at 4/4/00 5:28:34 PM

I am going to the preview day either the 26th or 27th (most likely the 27th). It is going to be sweet!!!!!!

swOHman a.k.a. Brian

Re: Acer's right.... by CoastaPlaya at 4/4/00 5:39:21 PM

> how do you know the pictures
> aren't doing the coaster justice? Maybe it
> isn't much to look at after all.

....there's a HECK of a lot more to actually visiting a ride than looking at photos!

It's like photos of a S&S tower or a Intamin 3rd generation drop (which I think we've all seen). I dare you to find a picture that actually captures the essesnce of standing in the shadow of the ride itself. There isn't one.

Unless you were actually onsite more recently yourself, you're really in no position to make a statement as silly as that. Sorry, I don't mean to flame, but silly is putting it very, very mildly.

-CPlaya (who will be URCing away on Sonny 6/3!!!!)

Re: Son of Mighty Canadian Minebuster?? by CoastaPlaya at 4/4/00 5:57:57 PM

> Take a look below and tell me this don't
> bring a new name to fear! The link is to a
> cincinnati enquire picture of the first drop
> and loop in full size! Chuck

I can't help but think of PCW when I see the lift, the turn and the drop!

But I've got to say this too....even for a mere 90-foot drop, it sure built up some anticipation (as long as that danged BRAKE wasn't on)!

I'm sure the carpenter's union loves it -- with all that lumber -- but 10 years from now, that's going to be the part you might remember most: Rolling slowly, then faster and faster, FORCED to realize how high you really are, looking down at the delicious tangled maelstrom that is SOB...

-CPlaya

Re: by Coaster 3:16 at 4/4/00 8:05:29 PM

> I have friends in low places, who's opinion
> I value. Besides, I am going from past
> experience, My Oct 31 photos of Sonny in
> know way do him justice. Maybe I should
> have been more clear, but I thought those
> who read my post could tell, I was stating
> my opinion, ie "I have yet to see a
> photo that really does him justice".
> Maybe you have, that would be your opinion,
> which you are entitled to state on this
> board. Posts like your's are why I don't
> post on this board more often. When I state
> my opinion, there is almost always someone
> out there who wants to argue with me acer

I must admit, acer, that your reply disturbed me. As a person who earns his living by writing commentaries, opinions, analysis, etc in a high pressure and often emotional business, I make sure that I do not insult anyone. In this case, I even took extra effort to make sure that I did not insult you. When I read your reply I immediately re-read my post to see if an apology was necessary, but I do not feel that my post was in any way insulting. I would hope that you re-read the post so that you know I was not trying to insult you.

I think my concern came after reading a message from Capler further down the board regarding the new swing coaster at PCar. It was, imo, one of the best ride reviews I have ever read. Three replies (two of which were from URCers I have respected) implied that he either worked for the park or otherwise went "overboard" with his review. That review came from a person who actually experienced the ride!

When reading your post, I noted that you admitted to not seeing the structure in some time. I could not understand how somebody who has not seen a full structure could say that pictures don't do them justice. I have seen plenty of pictures of roller coasters that make them look larger or otherwise more impressive than they actually are and such a postive statement from somebody who admitted to not actually seeing the completed structure did not seem credible to me. Your explanation in the first portion of your reply was a good response and I now understand how you came to your conclusion.

I do not see how stating that "I'm betting that I'm wrong" can be argumentative. If my post is a reason to not post often, you must really hate this board.

- Coaster 3:16 hastd

maybe....maybe not by Coaster 3:16 at 4/4/00 8:13:36 PM

....there's a HECK of a lot more to actually
> visiting a ride than looking at photos!
> It's like photos of a S&S tower or a Intamin
> 3rd generation drop (which I think we've all
> seen). I dare you to find a picture that
> actually captures the essesnce of standing
> in the shadow of the ride itself. There
> isn't one. Unless you were actually onsite
> more recently yourself, you're really in no
> position to make a statement as silly as
> that. Sorry, I don't mean to flame, but
> silly is putting it very, very mildly.
> -CPlaya (who will be URCing away on Sonny
> 6/3!!!!)

No flame taken, Playa. But I must stand by my statement. I never stated that I thought the picture made SOB look bigger, just that it is possible that it did. Neither acer nor I have seen the completed structure, so neither of us are really in a position to say anything other than based on what other's tell us.

I cannot begin to state how surprised I would be if you told me that you have never seen a picture of a coaster that made said coaster look larger or otherwise more impressive. I sure have.

- Coaster 3:16 hastd

p.s. You cut out the part of my post where I stated "I'm betting that I'm wrong".

Re: Splitting hairs! by Jersey Joe at 4/4/00 8:25:14 PM

> I have friends in low places, who's opinion
> I value. Besides, I am going from past
> experience, My Oct 31 photos of Sonny in
> know way do him justice. Maybe I should
> have been more clear, but I thought those
> who read my post could tell, I was stating
> my opinion, ie "I have yet to see a
> photo that really does him justice".
> Maybe you have, that would be your opinion,
> which you are entitled to state on this
> board. Posts like your's are why I don't
> post on this board more often. When I state
> my opinion, there is almost always someone
> out there who wants to argue with me acer

ACER -- I have to tell you that you definitely have the wrong guy here. Coaster 3:16 has been around these parts for a long, long time and has always been a positive person and excellent poster. If you are scared away by a post like his, then what did you think of the flaming going on last year? When I come here, I always look for posts by people like Coaster 3:16. He is a close personal friend who I have the utmost respect for. I hope you'll reread his original post and see that he wasn't flaming you or negative in any way. Thanks.

Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe's Coaster Pages

Re: I call it Six Flagging! by Coaster Nut at 4/4/00 11:49:13 PM

> You are right, there are times when progress
> ain't necessarily a good thing. acer

In this case I agree 100%! The first time I rode a coaster completely without fear was at GL. Those are fond memories that will probably be distroyed when, or IF, I get back to the park. I will say this, I wish EVERYONE the best of luck when visiting the park this year! I can't help but think that they will have the same kind of growing pains that SFA had. Anyway, I also think that GL would have been much better off without the instant growth. Parks like Kennywood & Knoebles are the perfict examples of parks surviving without all the extra baggage(so to speak).

Coaster Nut

Re: maybe....maybe not by CoastaPlaya at 4/5/00 9:54:13 AM

> No flame taken, Playa. But I must stand by
> my statement. I never stated that I thought
> the picture made SOB look bigger, just that
> it is possible that it did. Neither acer nor
> I have seen the completed structure, so
> neither of us are really in a position to
> say anything other than based on what
> other's tell us.

Sure, but sometimes we can see half of one and be blown away by what we already see. I just think of how many auto accidents WT's construction caused on Hwy 101 as gawker after gawker got rear-ended!

> I cannot begin to state
> how surprised I would be if you told me that
> you have never seen a picture of a coaster
> that made said coaster look larger or
> otherwise more impressive. I sure have.

Yeah, but there are other times you wish you had a camera with a lens wide enough to capture what you really see.

-CPlaya (Who still gawks @ WT + PT 4 times a week)

Re: maybe....maybe not by Coaster 3:16 at 4/5/00 10:25:56 AM

Sure, but sometimes we can see half of one and
> be blown away by what we already see. I just
> think of how many auto accidents WT's
> construction caused on Hwy 101 as gawker
> after gawker got rear-ended! Yeah, but
> there are other times you wish you had a
> camera with a lens wide enough to capture
> what you really see. -CPlaya (Who still
> gawks @ WT + PT 4 times a week)

1. You're preaching to the choir. I spent an entire day two weeks ago driving around half of PA just to look at coaster construction and existing coasters. I know how much I enjoy looking at coasters.

2. You're agreeing with me that some pictures don't do justice while others make them look better. I still don't understand why my pointing that out in the original post was "silly".

- Coaster 3:16 hastd

Re: maybe....maybe not by CoastaPlaya at 4/5/00 11:18:18 AM

> Sure, but sometimes we can see half of one
> and 1. You're preaching to the choir. I
> spent an entire day two weeks ago driving
> around half of PA just to look at coaster
> construction and existing coasters. I know
> how much I enjoy looking at coasters. 2.
> You're agreeing with me that some pictures
> don't do justice while others make them look
> better. I still don't understand why my
> pointing that out in the original post was
> "silly". - Coaster 3:16 hastd

Because any photos of the SOB site are partial at best! You can't see what's to the far left, right or behind the photographer stnading in the midst of the site, trying to capture its actual scope.

This wouldn't be the case with every coaster project...but with a megaproject the size of SOB, MF or most any hyper, it's hard to imagine otherwise. That's why I called it silly.

-CPlaya

Re: maybe....maybe not by Coaster 3:16 at 4/5/00 11:40:18 AM

Because any photos of the SOB site are partial
> at best! You can't see what's to the far
> left, right or behind the photographer
> stnading in the midst of the site, trying to
> capture its actual scope. This wouldn't be
> the case with every coaster project...but
> with a megaproject the size of SOB, MF or
> most any hyper, it's hard to imagine
> otherwise. That's why I called it silly.
> -CPlaya

Ok.

I guess I will just never understand how not being able to see the whole picture allows someone to give one opinion but not even mention the fact that the opposite opinion is possible.

I agree with what you say but there are two sides to every opinion and to say that the other is not justified without seeing the entire scope is much more than silly, imo.

- Coaster 3:16 hastd

The Great Debate! by acer at 4/5/00 6:52:26 PM

It's to bad Eric got rid of the Debate Forum, lol! You each have valid points for your opinion on this issue and you each have a right to your own opinion.

It is nice to see debate over an issue instead of an out and out flaming war!

acer

Re: Huh? by CoastaPlaya at 4/6/00 9:14:04 AM

> It's to bad Eric got rid of the Debate
> Forum, lol! You each have valid points for
> your opinion on this issue and you each have
> a right to your own opinion. It is nice to
> see debate over an issue instead of an out
> and out flaming war! acer

I wouldn't call it a 'great debate' as much as just another day at URC.

While I agree with you in doubting any photo does SOB justice, I also agree with Jersey Joe that maybe you took what Coaster 3:16 said a bit too personally, too. You CERTAINLY didn't behave like a 16-year old without social skills......but you did seem to take it on the chin.

-CPlaya

Re: Huh? by Coaster 3:16 at 4/6/00 12:21:08 PM

I wouldn't call it a 'great debate' as much as
> just another day at URC. While I agree with
> you in doubting any photo does SOB justice,
> I also agree with Jersey Joe that maybe you
> took what Coaster 3:16 said a bit too
> personally, too. You CERTAINLY didn't behave
> like a 16-year old without social
> skills......but you did seem to take it on
> the chin. -CPlaya

Come on, Playa, give us some credit - this has been a great debate. Or at least I can pretend it was. :)

Actually, acer and I have discussed our miscommunication and put it behind us. No two people will ever agree on everything, and this is actually one of the few times we've disagreed on anything, so all is well.

- Coaster 3:16 hastd

Re: Huh? by Jersey Joe at 4/6/00 9:05:12 PM

> I wouldn't call it a 'great debate' as much
> as Come on, Playa, give us some credit -
> this has been a great debate. Or at least I
> can pretend it was. :) Actually, acer and I
> have discussed our miscommunication and put
> it behind us. No two people will ever agree
> on everything, and this is actually one of
> the few times we've disagreed on anything,
> so all is well. - Coaster 3:16 hastd

This is what I like to see, two of my favorite posters (Coaster 3:16 and ACER) having a mature debate.

Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe's Coaster Pages