Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > I305 Still Down?

I305 Still Down?

CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile

Posted:
8/26/13 at
7:48:05 PM

Subject says it all. I'm recovered enough from my Skyrush experience to ride more coasters and I now desperately want to go on its closest sibling.

I remember reading that it was down recently, has there been any change to this?

Thanks,

Michael W.

Re: I305 Still Down? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/26/13 8:00:19 PM
I've heard everything from the part is still on the way to it's being installed.

I haven't been down there in a couple months so I can't say for sure.

Either way, the GP is starting to boycott and I don't blame them.

I understand that it takes time -- I just wish Cedar Fair and Six Flags would be straightforward and honest about timeframes.

But our same hobby is a multi-million dollar industry so they wont' say a thing, as it would drive away customers.

Maybe I'll make my way down there when I get back from San Diego in late September -- if it's not up by then, it'll probably be down for the rest of the year.

* This post was modified at 8/26/13 8:01:41 PM *

Re: I305 Still Down? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/26/13 8:24:46 PM
antikythera said:

it'll probably be down for the rest of the year.

I read elsewhere it already is.

Saddens me..my favorite coaster and my favorite steel coaster both down, with a fraction of a chance of re-opening this season.

Sucks.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: I305 Still Down? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/26/13 8:52:10 PM
It's still down.

Jen

Re: I305 Still Down? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/26/13 8:53:45 PM
Sucks that I will be there tomorrow and it will be down but at least we are only 4 hours away from the best steel coaster on the planet!!
Re: I305 Still Down? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/27/13 5:52:51 AM
chitlins73 said:

Sucks that I will be there tomorrow and it will be down but at least we are only 4 hours away from the best steel coaster on the planet!!

No, Nitro's less than..oh, wait. You meant Thigh Crush, didn't you?

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: I305 Still Down? by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 8/27/13 6:46:39 AM
Thanks for the information guys; I thought it was still down but I didn't realize that it was going to likely be for the season.

Guess I'll just to have to wait until next year.

Best,

Michael W.

Re: I305 Still Down? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/27/13 7:44:47 AM
No Mike....I was referring to I-305. I am on my way to the park now. Thigh crusher is 2nd on my steel list...lol
Re: I305 Still Down? by PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile at 8/27/13 8:59:22 AM
We were just at KD over the weekend and yes, still down. I had high hopes they would have it opened up by the end of the month and in time for Halloween but it looks like it will be down the rest of the year. KD has taken all of the trash cans out of the que line and station and have the area pretty much blocked off. IMO that means closed and not opening...lol They do have the shed which housed the cable system and motor fully taken apart but nothing other then that. Sad really.
Re: I305 Still Down? by alpengeistno3 at 8/27/13 10:52:55 PM
Finally, someone from the Park speaks!

Kings Dominion
We know many of you have inquired about the status of Intimidator 305 and appreciate your patience while the ride has been closed for maintenance. We are working with the ride’s manufacturer and anticipate that Intimidator 305 will reopen later this Fall. We will release additional information as it becomes available on our website at www.kingsdominion.com and on this Facebook page.

Paul

Re: I305 Still Down? by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 8/28/13 8:25:03 AM
Well at least there's a small modicum of hope now thanks to the park statement.

Hopefully they do get it up this year, I was planning on doing some Fall coastering this year anyway!

Best,

Michael W.

Re: I305 Still Down? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/28/13 9:52:12 AM
I'm glad they finally spoke up about the status of it. I guess there is some hope for these major amusement parks to actually treat their customers with some respect.

That being said, if it can get up for Haunt, I'll be there for my obligatory midnight ride, front row.

It'd be cool if it was up for ACE's Fall Thrillfest too since I'm considering attending it.

Re: I305 Still Down? by Speedster at 8/31/13 10:20:27 PM
I guarantee you, there are probably a lot of people like me who only make the trek to KD for one reason - to ride I-305. On my last trip in 2012, I rode it 18 times in one day! In June 2013, I made motel reservations for a KD trip in late July. When I learned that my #1 favorite coaster was down, I canceled the reservations. I hope they can keep this from happening again. I need my favorite coaster back!!
Re: I305 Still Down? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 9/1/13 5:46:15 PM
I'm in the camp that I need 305 to justify going.

Yes, I live only an hour and a half away -- I go quite regularly, but I feel that is why I need it.

It's hard to enjoy a park I've been going to for many, many years without a spin on 305. It's a paradox that's can only be explained in my head.

It's not even my favorite park in the ride but it definitely makes the gas money worth it. I'd feel the same about going to SFA without Superman.

Call me a terrible enthusiast but it's the truth unfortunately.

* This post was modified at 9/1/13 5:47:45 PM *

Re: I305 Still Down? by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 9/5/13 1:39:12 PM
I was there this past sunday, labor day weekend. Still down of course. I thought i'd be OK with it down, and get in some volcano and dominator rides, but.....

Everytime i go to Kings Dominion I leave thinking the same thing, why did i come back here? I rememeber the cool rides, but forget the...
1. "could give a f***" ride operators
2. Coasters running bare minimum trains.
3. Volcano capacity making it not worth waiting 2 hours. We didn't bother...again
3. Park guests constantly cutting in line. I spoke up once this time, but really, is it worth ruining your day dealing with some idiot? happens every time i go to Kings Dominion, multiple times.
4. Filthy bathrooms.

Without Intimidator, which makes it easier to overlook the above, i won't be back again. Oh yeah, Dominator in the front seat was absolutely great, but line was very long all day, and as usual, the ride ops where slow as molasses, causing it to move slow, especially for a B&M 4 across coaster.

* This post was modified at 9/5/13 1:40:02 PM *

Re: I305 Still Down? by PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile at 9/5/13 2:02:33 PM
This year has been a bad year at KD with rides going down. 305 down...Crypt down...too many other rides have gone down. Now I know that happens at every park but this year has been really bad at KD with rides going down during the day. I know KD just got this amazing new kids area but there are times where it seems KD is the step-child of Cedar Fair. Maintenance has been horrible this year and like others have said the park as a whole just doesn't look as good as it has in years past.
Re: I305 Still Down? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/5/13 2:14:52 PM
That's a shame. I didn't go there this year. I have no idea how bad things have gotten compared to last year. I had a great time last year and thought everything was more or less fine. I hope they do improve in the off season. It's a nice park, i just hope it isn't going to be neglected.
HamptonRoadsRider said:

I was there this past sunday, labor day weekend. Still down of course. I thought i'd be OK with it down, and get in some volcano and dominator rides, but.....

Everytime i go to Kings Dominion I leave thinking the same thing, why did i come back here? I rememeber the cool rides, but forget the...
3. Volcano capacity making it not worth waiting 2 hours. We didn't bother...again
3. Park guests constantly cutting in line. I spoke up once this time, but really, is it worth ruining your day dealing with some idiot? happens every time i go to Kings Dominion, multiple times.
4. Filthy bathrooms.

Without Intimidator, which makes it easier to overlook the above, i won't be back again. Oh yeah, Dominator in the front seat was absolutely great, but line was very long all day, and as usual, the ride ops where slow as molasses, causing it to move slow, especially for a B&M 4 across coaster.

I disagree with that. (Granted i never went there on labor day weekend). However, when i have been there the ride ops have been generally nice. Kids skipping lines is sadly common, so can't really fault the park for that. Some of the bathrooms could use some more cleaning, but more or less nothing that terrible.

I will agree they could run more trains, but it seems they stick with just two for most of them. Volcano has always been a morning only thing for me, if you miss it in the morning, you are out of luck.

* This post was modified at 9/5/13 2:19:16 PM *

Re: I305 Still Down? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/5/13 2:15:34 PM
HamptonRoadsRider said:

4. Filthy bathrooms.

I never particularly liked KD. If it's on my way while doing a Virginia trip I'll stop in but I would never make a special trip for it.

Speaking of line cutting yesterday while at Gadv I went on line for Sky Screamer (very short wait) and my foot was acting up so I didn't want to go over the switchbacks so I walked around. A large family climbed over while I was walking around and an employee came right over and tossed them out of the line. She even said "Do you think it's fair that this woman was before you and is obviously unable to climb the railing (I had my cane) so you jump in front of her? That behavior is not tolerated here." I just stood there with a smirk on my face. They have been EXTREMELY hard on line jumpers this year. There's a security guard by Nitro that I call the line jumping Nazi - he waves his pick-up claw stick at people while he yells at them to get off the line. I've even seen him throw people out of the park.

Jen

Re: I305 Still Down? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/5/13 2:27:12 PM
GoYanks34 said:

I never particularly liked KD. If it's on my way while doing a Virginia trip I'll stop in but I would never make a special trip for it.

Speaking of line cutting yesterday while at Gadv I went on line for Sky Screamer (very short wait) and my foot was acting up so I didn't want to go over the switchbacks so I walked around. A large family climbed over while I was walking around and an employee came right over and tossed them out of the line. She even said "Do you think it's fair that this woman was before you and is obviously unable to climb the railing (I had my cane) so you jump in front of her? That behavior is not tolerated here." I just stood there with a smirk on my face. They have been EXTREMELY hard on line jumpers this year. There's a security guard by Nitro that I call the line jumping Nazi - he waves his pick-up claw stick at people while he yells at them to get off the line. I've even seen him throw people out of the park.

Jen

Very nice. An extra incentive to visit that park sometime soon. I hope it is the park's policy along with vigilant workers. I mean i will admit i wouldn't automatically associate that with a six flags park, but i do remember in 2008, a security guard outside the main entrance told a guy to stop smoking and pulled him off the line to put it out. By any chance did that ride op know you or just pointing you out because of the cane?

Re: I305 Still Down? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 9/5/13 3:37:57 PM
Kings Dominion has been hit or miss under Cedar Fair's rule, although it had its fair share of problems when Paramount owned it too.

I've never had a serious issue with line jumping at KD, to be honest. Like others, it happens. I agree that they don't really address it though, as there is just too much going on most of the time for an employee to come on over and alleviate the situation.

As for slow dispatch times, I'll agree on it, to an extent. My biggest complaint would be Volcano. For a ride that lasts 59 seconds, it should not have a line that long. Yes, it's the most popular, but the poorly designed station keeps the ride from working efficiently. There is no reason each train has to wait for the man pushing the cart to get out of the way while it moves from drop off to pick up. Widen the station, put in some cubbies and move the exit to the other side of the gift shop (with some modifications).

Re: I305 Still Down? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/5/13 5:49:40 PM
I love Kings Dominion and have really never had a problem with the park. Probably a top 5-10 park for me. As far as Volcano goes,you have to be smart and get there at opening. I usually get a few rides in before the rest of the crowd catches up. I think the park is really beautiful and has a great collection of coasters and rides.
Re: I305 Still Down? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/5/13 6:31:35 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Very nice. An extra incentive to visit that park sometime soon. I hope it is the park's policy along with vigilant workers. I mean i will admit i wouldn't automatically associate that with a six flags park, but i do remember in 2008, a security guard outside the main entrance told a guy to stop smoking and pulled him off the line to put it out. By any chance did that ride op know you or just pointing you out because of the cane?

Never saw her before in my life. It was the employee who is at the switchbacks and counts the people to let into the queue for the next Sky Screamer cycle. I only know some of the ops/employees who operate/work at the coasters (mostly KK, ET and RT). Don't know anyone who works the flats since I hardly go on them.

Jen

Re: I305 Still Down? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/5/13 8:34:03 PM
Oic. So just pretty stringent on the rules. That's always a good thing. I take it as a sign they give a damn and don't put up with nonsense. And good for them. I'd be pissed too if I paid as much if not more to enjoy my day without some scum cutting in front of me. No concept or respect these days. If a person wanted to get up front that bad they could just ask. I wouldn't mind if it's a few ppl if they asked. Sorry for the ranting, I'm just a stickler for decent courtesy.

chitlins73 said:

I love Kings Dominion and have really never had a problem with the park. Probably a top 5-10 park for me. As far as Volcano goes,you have to be smart and get there at opening. I usually get a few rides in before the rest of the crowd catches up. I think the park is really beautiful and has a great collection of coasters and rides.

Yup, I've almost always had a great time in my visits to that park. Can't complain too much about it. I wouldn't mind if that was my home park. I end up spending all day there most of the time from start to close.

antikythera said:

Kings Dominion has been hit or miss under Cedar Fair's rule, although it had its fair share of problems when Paramount owned it too.

I've never had a serious issue with line jumping at KD, to be honest. Like others, it happens. I agree that they don't really address it though, as there is just too much going on most of the time for an employee to come on over and alleviate the situation.

As for slow dispatch times, I'll agree on it, to an extent. My biggest complaint would be Volcano. For a ride that lasts 59 seconds, it should not have a line that long. Yes, it's the most popular, but the poorly designed station keeps the ride from working efficiently. There is no reason each train has to wait for the man pushing the cart to get out of the way while it moves from drop off to pick up. Widen the station, put in some cubbies and move the exit to the other side of the gift shop (with some modifications).

Fair points, won't dispute it and I never went there under the paramount days, so can't comment on that.

I think one of the worst would be shockwave if they don't have 4 people working on it as that takes a long time to load people (adjusting the seat height and getting people into the harness properly especially for 1st timers).
Absolutely agreed on Volcano. Lines are just insanely long and it takes too long to get it out of the station. I like it, but it isn't worth more than 45min waiting. And for me 45min is something I'd wait on for Kingda Ka for.

Re: I305 Still Down? by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 9/5/13 10:47:53 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Jen

Ha! Nice to hear that someone's cracking down on it at least.

The thing is, someone mentioned there's always kids cutting, but these are grown men and women. You'll see a group of 4 knuckleheads cutting through the line to meet up to a single placeholder halfway into the line. After 2-3 times, it's aggravating. Do i let it ruin my day? heck no, but stuff like this adds up, when paired with other issues, to degrade the overall park experience.

I've had good times at KD for sure. Part of it is my home park being Busch Gardens (50 mins away vs 2hrs KD), which is a tough standard. They make alot of other parks look like South Central LA by comparison. Even then, Six Flags America this year was surpisingly decent - ride ops seemed on point at least. As for the bathrooms, i have Crohn's Disease, so by default i'm a fan of clean bathrooms. At a theme park, you need a guy in there cleaning pretty much full time to maintain a clean bathroom unfortunately.

Anyway, bottom line, i'll certainly head back to ride I305, or a new coaster? count me in. And probably complain some more afterwards lol. Thanks for listening to my bitching and moaning.

Re: I305 Still Down? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/6/13 12:05:18 AM
chitlins73 said:

Totally agree. I love Kings Dominion. It's in my top 10 favorite parks. We have a great time every time we visit. I've been really fortunate that the crowds are really light every time I visit. I love Kings Dominions coaster collection. My 1 complaint is the single train operations on the wooden coasters. I recommend a Kings Dominion/ Busch Gardens trip to all my non enthusiasts friends. Busch Gardens is my 3rd favorite park and being Kings Dominion is only a hour away, that makes for a great vacation. I've never had any problems at Kings Dominion. As far as Cedar Fair, I believe they are way behind when it comes to visitor/ staff relations. Six Flags has really stepped it up in the past few years in that regard.