Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Time Machine

Time Machine

antikythera antikythera Profile

Posted:
8/23/13 at
10:59:21 AM

A B&M baking in the summer sun has to eventually find a new home.

With all the activity being reported about trains being loaded onto the platform and water dummies being loaded into the seats, one has to wonder where it's going, if anywhere.

An interesting comment by Screamscape today, in their updates, notes that they have been ruminating over what the new KK coaster could be.

Ed said that a $7 million dollar steel coaster was in the works for opening year. Screamscape speculates that Ed could be testing the waters on Time Machine.

Your thoughts? What does a used B&M run?

Prices vary greatly, based on make and model so a $7 million coaster could be anything, but if you were trying to make a comeback and save money for other refurbishments, why not purchase a used, moderately thrilling reliable coaster for less than new?

What are your overall thoughts on Time Machine?

Should we take bets on if it gets relocated or eventually scrapped. Or god forbid, sitting in South Carolina weather for the next decade.

Every offer from a potential buyer for the park has fallen through in recent years so I have little faith the park will be redeveloped.

Re: Time Machine by MrPKI MrPKI Profile at 8/23/13 12:59:19 PM
Here's what is known about the coaster coming to Kentucky Kingdom next year:

1) It has a 7 million dollar price tag.
2) It will be built in the former Greezed Lightnin'/Road Runner Express location. (This has been confirmed more than once by the person running the new KK Facebook page.)
3) Ed Hart has said it will be the park's first new coaster in 17 years.

While we don't know what Ed Hart's exact definition of a new coaster is, it seems he is referring to Twisted Twins as the park's last new coaster. This means Road Runner Express and Greezed Lightnin' don't count. RCDB speculates this is because RRE was a family coaster and GL was used. Does this make Time Machine any different? I'm thinking Ed Hart would also call it used *unless* because of its much younger age and modern engineering it's somehow still "new" in his book. I have my doubts.

Another thing to consider is footprint. A quick check of Google Earth gives me no reason to believe Time Machine would fit in the aforenamed location. Of course overlaying different images online isn't exact cartography either.

I do think Time Machine will find a new home somewhere sometime, just not in Louisville next year. It’s not that I wouldn't be all for it though. A 150-ft B&M looper would be an ideal successor to Chang.

Re: Time Machine by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/23/13 2:33:33 PM
antikythera said:

A B&M baking in the summer sun has to eventually find a new home.

With all the activity being reported about trains being loaded onto the platform and water dummies being loaded into the seats, one has to wonder where it's going, if anywhere.

An interesting comment by Screamscape today, in their updates, notes that they have been ruminating over what the new KK coaster could be.

Ed said that a $7 million dollar steel coaster was in the works for opening year. Screamscape speculates that Ed could be testing the waters on Time Machine.

Your thoughts? What does a used B&M run?

Prices vary greatly, based on make and model so a $7 million coaster could be anything, but if you were trying to make a comeback and save money for other refurbishments, why not purchase a used, moderately thrilling reliable coaster for less than new?

What are your overall thoughts on Time Machine?

Should we take bets on if it gets relocated or eventually scrapped. Or god forbid, sitting in South Carolina weather for the next decade.

Every offer from a potential buyer for the park has fallen through in recent years so I have little faith the park will be redeveloped.

This is funny because its exactly the quoted price that Kings Islands GM gave as the cost of relocating X Flight/Firehawk to KI. However this would mean the park purchased the coaster for nothing. 7 Million won't even buy most steel coasters even a spinny or S&S Steel Hawg type are more than that.

IMHO its still a guessing game. If its something big, Im sure we'd see some sort of movement soon. UNLESS OF COURSE, SOME OF Changs Footers could be re-used and the only things i think that could be remotely reused and matching is the station, Brakes and Train shed. Which is probably a third the cost.

Another interesting note, I seen overhead footage of Geauga Lake as it sits. WOW, That would take superfund type money to clean up all them footers, foundations etc.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Time Machine by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/24/13 12:05:22 PM
Well any place than sitting doing nothing is better. I honestly wouldn't mind if kd bought it to replace anaconda. (Not sure if it would fit, but tm would look nice over the lake.)
If they do acquire tm, what does it mean for the other rides? Perhaps cf or sf could look at 'rpm' for a nice family ride coaster?
Re: Time Machine by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 8/24/13 8:40:34 PM
I wish SF would buy it and bring it to SFA - yes, it would be a used ride, but at least it would probably be a half-way decent one (from what I have heard it wasn't the best B&M, but it wasn't the worst either) and not some other SF park's ancient crappy junk.
Re: Time Machine by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/24/13 8:58:14 PM
Schrecken said:

I wish SF would buy it and bring it to SFA - yes, it would be a used ride, but at least it would probably be a half-way decent one (from what I have heard it wasn't the best B&M, but it wasn't the worst either) and not some other SF park's ancient crappy junk.

Actually, I'd love for that to happen. LZ was actually one of my most enjoyable coaster experiences. It was one of the few (maybe only) times I got to ride a brand-new coaster within two weeks of its opening. My dozen rides in 2008 were terrific. It was a perfect storm of a good ride, nice setting, well-done theming and music. I wasn't even a fan of Zep, but I still..to this day..can't hear Whole Lotta Love without visualizing the cresting of the lift. I heard bad things about Freestyle, but I never read any real opinions of Time Machine in that form. I have no idea if I'd enjoy it as much in a different version/location, but I'd love to find out.

Mike

* This post was modified at 8/24/13 8:59:08 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Time Machine by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 8/26/13 2:10:59 AM
I guess because so few people got to ride Time Machine there just aren't a lot of opinions out there on it. I did see a few on TPR, but there seemed to be no real strong opinions either way on it. I don't think there are any bad sit-down B&Ms (stand-ups, yes), so something like this would be a great addition to a park like SFA (not that I think they'd ever bother with buying it, at least not for that park). They seem to be more into swapping junk they already own from park to park.
Re: Time Machine by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/26/13 7:35:39 AM
I was one of the ones lucky enough to have gotten to Hard rock park in it's only year of existence. I am so glad that I decided to buy a souvenir shirt. I did not think the Led Zeppelin coaster was all that great.It was really shaky for a B&M!! I think it would be a nice addition for a smaller park like Kentucky Kingdom or Six Flags America I guess. I would not travel far to ride it though.
Re: Time Machine by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/26/13 9:17:51 AM
I didn't find Zep shaky at all. Then again, it was only about 10 days old...
Re: Time Machine by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/26/13 12:15:01 PM
^^^I too went to Hard Rock Park in 08'. Led Zepp was about 1 month 1/2 old when I rode (7/1/08) and it was anything but shaky. It felt smooth like a normal Beemer to me. IMO the 'flying jukebox' effect that Led Zepp had while offride was very impressive, and on-ride the music was great too. I had a 'Whole Lotta Love' for HRP. :(
Re: Time Machine by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/26/13 12:45:20 PM
Hey Chris, too bad it didn't have a tunnel, huh? :)

Actually, I thought of you when I rode Conneaut's Blue Streak 30 times recently. That's a nice, loooong tunnel out of the station. Must be awesome at night with no light leaking through.

Mike

Re: Time Machine by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 8/26/13 2:18:47 PM
sorry, double post!

* This post was modified at 8/26/13 2:19:19 PM *

Re: Time Machine by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/9/13 9:28:01 AM
According to screamscape, Time Machine could be headed to China, and the majority of other rides headed to an unknown Asian location. It seems like it's only a matter of time before the writing is on the wall.
Re: Time Machine by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/9/13 9:43:12 AM
The GREAT Wall? :)
Re: Time Machine by antikythera antikythera Profile at 10/9/13 9:45:42 AM
Overbanked said:

According to screamscape, Time Machine could be headed to China, and the majority of other rides headed to an unknown Asian location. It seems like it's only a matter of time before the writing is on the wall.

Not hating on amusement parks in Asia, but I really hope those rides get a good home and not sit in some obscure park to eventually rot away.

Everytime I hear about a coaster/ride being shipped to some "unknown location" I think about all the ones that get shipped off never to heard about again until some enthusiast happens upon it while vacationing abroad.

Granted, Time Machine, alone, is a bigger coaster than the many small coasters that have "unknown" status on RCDB, but it still a worry of mine.

Re: Time Machine by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/9/13 9:55:58 AM
Yeah, if it happens, hopefully it won't be another Orphan Rocker.
Re: Time Machine by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/9/13 9:56:47 AM
beastmaster said:

The GREAT Wall? :)

Haha, good one.

Re: Time Machine by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/12/13 7:57:53 PM
While everything is looking positive at Kentucky Kingdom, it's a stark contrast in South Carolina, with the place FKA Hard Rock Park. No surprise here, as they're continuing the fire sale.

www.newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2013/11/freestyle-music-parks-ride-liquidation.html

Re: Time Machine by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 11/13/13 3:32:24 AM
I had an interesting conversation the other day with about Hard Rock Park. When Cedar Fair closed Geauga Lake they couldn't even pay parks to take the used rides. A few went to other Cedar Fair parks, but plenty of others were scrapped. Now with the massive expansion in Asia there is huge demand for used rides.

The majority of the equipment from Hard Rock Park is going to Asia, B&M included.

Re: Time Machine by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 11/13/13 4:19:54 PM
So happy I got to go to Hard Rock Park the one and only year they were open. My most treasured souvenir is the shirt I bought from there that has the year on the shirt also. Ashame they had to close because it was a really nice looking park.
Dion
Re: Time Machine by depotrat at 11/13/13 5:01:53 PM
^ Likewise, we were there the one year it was open as HRP. We enjoyed the park but we knew they were in trouble as it was a beautiful June day and there was nobody in the park.

We rode Time Machine twice, Nights in White Satin 5 times, and everything else once ad were out before 5 PM. Almost no lines. Good for us but bad for them.

Time Machine Or Led Zep. as it was known then was OK at best. Nothing special but it would be nice if it stayed somewhere here in the US.