Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > End of Summer Trip: Day 7 Six Flags Over Georgia

End of Summer Trip: Day 7 Six Flags Over Georgia

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
8/18/13 at
7:17:58 PM

This was the day that I've been waiting for. This was the highlight of the trip for me. I love Six Flags Over Georgia. It's my 5th favorite park, so bare with me if I tend to embellish a little. Six Flags Over Georgia has 11 coasters, and I would say 8 are really good to awesome. The park is beautiful and I just love being there. To me It's a little different than other Six Flags parks. My only complaint about the park, and my kids said the same, is it doesn't have many flat rides. Other than that the park is just incredible. This was my 3rd time visiting the park, my most recent was in 2010. This was my kids first visit, and they were in for real treat.

We arrived at the park at 9:30. I was planning on having to deal with Atlanta traffic, but surprisingly there was very little traffic. We entered the park at 10:00. Once again another day of very small crowds. At 10:00 they opened Georgia Scorcher, a B&M stand up, and Georgia Cyclone, a Dinn Summers wooden twisted. All other rides opened at 10:30. We got in line for Georgia Scorcher and elected to ride front seat. It took about 15 minutes, due to the slow loading of standing coasters, but we had time to kill. Georgia Scorcher is a really good ride as long as you're in the front seat. The back is just a little too rough. It's on a smaller scale of Green Lantern or Mantis, but equally fun. My kids liked it better than Mantis. We all really enjoyed our ride, unfortunately this was our only ride on it for the day.

After we got off of GS went waited for the rope drop. We were behind a lot of people. We they let us in everyone was walking at an extremely slow pace. My kids and I hustled through the crowd and made 2nd train of Dare Devil Dive, a low capacity Euro Fighter. This is the other coaster that I would add during this trip. It was built one year after my last visit in 2011. My kids took the front row and I sat in the 2nd row. DDD has lap bars that come down from the top, instead of over the shoulder restraints. The restraints are extremely comfortable and makes the ride very enjoyable. The ride really looks great and fits nicely into the area. I really liked the ride, but it did seem to slow near the end. Being that we rode Mystery Mine the day before,I must admit I like MM more. The kids liked DDD more than I did. I think I had too high expectations for it. Being that It's very low capacity, this was our only ride on it. I really would have liked another ride.

We then hustled up to Goliath. I love this B&M hypercoaster. Its my 6th favorite steel coaster. We were able to walk onto the 2nd from back seat. What a great, air time filled ride. On my last visit I rode Goliath 12 times. We got back in line and waited about 5 trains for front. I like the front and the back on Goliath. My kids loved Goliath, especially my son. It was actually his favorite coaster of the trip. We did grab another front seat ride later in the day, for a total of 3 rides and waited about 20 minutes in the peak of the afternoon.

We then beat the crowd down the hill and walked onto Superman Ultimate Flight, a B&M flying coaster. My daughter loves these types of coasters. This one is the best out of the 3 Superman clones. We were actually stuck on the brake run for about 5 minutes in that flying position. After that, even though the way no line, my son didn't want to ride again, so that was our only ride on it. My daughter is still calling him a wimp, a week later.

We then went next door to Great American Scream Machine, a John Allen woodie. I love this coaster. It reminds me if Screamin Eagle at SF St. Louis. We walked onto the front seat. Iwas a great smooth, air time filled ride. We got back in line and walked onto the back seat. The back seat was a little bumpy, especially for a John Allen, but still enjoyable.

Next we braved Ninja. I don't know if Arrow or Vekoma built this, but its one of the roughest coasters that I ever ridden. My kids sat in front and I sat in the 2nd row. Thankfully it was a walk on. This was our only ride on it. None of us wanted another ride. Ninja is very photogenic and is full of head choppers, but It's just too rough. If you visit SF Over Georgia get to this section of the park early. You can really knock those 3 coasters out pretty quick. They built their new Sky Screamer in this section also. Because it was new it did have a long line and we never did get to ride it.

Next we went back up the hill and got in line for Wie E Coyote Canyon Blaster. We waited about 20 minutes for this junior steel coaster, but this is actually a fun little ride. The whole kids section is really nice at SFOG. We then walked onto the Mine Train that's right up the hill. It's a mild mine train, but does have 3 lift hills and a decently long ride. My kids took front and I sat in the 2nd row.

We then headed for Georgia Cyclone, the wooden twister. On my last visit it was rough. We had to wait about 2 trains for front seat. It's running much better. A tad bumpy in spots, but still pretty smooth and even had some air time moments. My kids liked it better than Great American Scream Machine, and on this particular visit I did also. Both kids said it was their 5th favorite wooden coaster of this trip. It was running really well. We grabbed another front seat ride with a just a few train wait.

Next we went over to Mindbender. This Swarzkopf masterpiece is his best work. We waited about 15 minutes and got the front seat. As usually it was running great. I love the drop right above the waterfall. Later on we waited 10 minutes for a back seat ride. My kids and I really liked this coaster. Not only that It's a classic, it's still a great ride even in today's standards.

Batman the Ride, a B&M invert was our last coaster to conquer. We waited about 20 minutes, but we did get front seat. This is my favorite of the Batman clones. We all really enjoyed our ride. Too bad the line was long. We did ride Crime Wave a wave swinger, while in the area. I think this was the flat ride we rode at SFOG.

My kids had souvenir money saved up, and they love Six Flags souvenirs, so we did spend more time than I wanted to in gift shops. It was their vacation and they were having fun, that's whats important. At 7:00 it was time to make the miles again. I took a long look at the park and headed for North Carolina. Last stop Carowinds.

Re: End of Summer Trip: Day 7 Six Flags Over Georgia by alpengeistno3 at 8/18/13 8:47:30 PM
Nice TR, Ken.
Ninja is a Vekoma. Your assessment is spot on. Gorgeous to look at, but brutally rough. It's the only coaster I have ever ridden that headbangs you STOPPED ON THE BRAKERUN!!

Did you do the Monster Plantation? It's dark boat ride and a quite a hidden gem of the park.

Paul

Re: End of Summer Trip: Day 7 Six Flags Over Georgia by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/18/13 9:49:51 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Nice TR, Ken.
Ninja is a Vekoma. Your assessment is spot on. Gorgeous to look at, but brutally rough. It's the only coaster I have ever ridden that headbangs you STOPPED ON THE BRAKERUN!!

Did you do the Monster Plantation? It's dark boat ride and a quite a hidden gem of the park.

Paul

No we didn't do the dark ride. My kids actually pointed it out on the map and we were planning on doing it. They spent so much time in the gift shops we ran out of time. I had a set arrive time and departure time for each park, so we could get adequate sleep. We also wanted to do the stand up drop tower, It's my favorite drop tower. Once again, we ran out of time, but I did ride that drop tower on my last visit. They saved the majority of their money for Six Flags, and shopping for souvenirs at Six Flags was important to them, so I didn't argue it. They actually saved their birthday money for it.

Re: End of Summer Trip: Day 7 Six Flags Over Georgia by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/19/13 7:13:47 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

Nice TR, Ken.

Paul

That and the Riverview Carousel were actually my favorite rides at that park.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: End of Summer Trip: Day 7 Six Flags Over Georgia by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 8/19/13 10:19:24 AM
Great TR! As I was reading I was shaking my head in agreement to a lot of the things you stated. SFOG is a gem and an extremely beautiful park. You didn't mention Acrophobia so either you didn't get to ride it or it was closed.

Dare Devil Dive may seem slow towards the end but that nice floating air time you get through the final barrel roll makes up for it.

I would love to get back to SFOG but I'm waiting to see what Carowinds has in store next before I venture south again. Thank you for bringing back wonderful memories from my 2011 trip.

G-Dog

Re: Acrophobia by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/19/13 10:45:36 AM
He mentioned a "stand-up drop tower" but I was wondering what he was referring to. I rode Acrophobia, and I remember being seated, but with the seats angled forward. It's been a while and I only got one ride, so I may be mis-remembering.

* This post was modified at 8/19/13 10:51:33 AM *

Re: End of Summer Trip: Day 7 Six Flags Over Georgia by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/19/13 10:57:13 AM
Geauga_Dog said:

Great TR! As I was reading I was shaking my head in agreement to a lot of the things you stated. SFOG is a gem and an extremely beautiful park. You didn't mention Acrophobia so either you didn't get to ride it or it was closed.

Dare Devil Dive may seem slow towards the end but that nice floating air time you get through the final barrel roll makes up for it.

I would love to get back to SFOG but I'm waiting to see what Carowinds has in store next before I venture south again. Thank you for bringing back wonderful memories from my 2011 trip.

G-Dog

I meant Acrophobia when I referred to it as the stand up drop tower. I just couldn't figure out how to spell it. I can spell on a first grade level on a good day. My daughter doesn't like drop towers, but was willing to try the one at SFOG. We just ran out of time. I rode it on my last visit in 2010. You may not completely stand up on it, but that's what it feels like. Its my favorite drop tower. That one they are building in Busch Gardens Tampa sounds like the ultimate drop tower.

Re: End of Summer Trip: Day 7 Six Flags Over Georgia by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/19/13 1:19:40 PM
frontrow said:

Geauga_Dog said:

G-Dog

I meant Acrophobia when I referred to it as the stand up drop tower. I just couldn't figure out how to spell it. I can spell on a first grade level on a good day. My daughter doesn't like drop towers, but was willing to try the one at SFOG. We just ran out of time. I rode it on my last visit in 2010. You may not completely stand up on it, but that's what it feels like. Its my favorite drop tower. That one they are building in Busch Gardens Tampa sounds like the ultimate drop tower.

Yeah, that one sounds pretty mind-blowingly awesome if they can pull it off.