Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > End of Summer Trip: Day #5 Kings Island

End of Summer Trip: Day #5 Kings Island

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
8/17/13 at
9:35:06 PM

We stayed in Sharonville Ohio, so we were only 15 minutes from Kings Island. We showed up at the park in time for early entry, which is 9:30. I have to drive past Kings Island on the way to work. I haven't made a special trip down there since 1999. This would be my kids first visit. I never cared much for Kings Island. I guess I always associated Kings Island with work. Therefore I have never fully enjoyed it. I have had great luck with crowds. Once again the crowds were non existent. We never waited more than 15 minutes for anything. On this visit, my perception was totally different. I now realize what a great park KI is. It's actually amazing how much more fun I had being that it wasn't on the way or in the way home from work.

We entered during early entry and headed straight for Diamondback. We walked onto the back seat. Diamondback is running the best it ever has. We then waited about 4 trains for front. Later on we grabbed 2 more back seat rides for a total of 4 rides. My kids loved it. They liked it more than I did. Like I said its running great.

After our 2 rides we headed for the Beast. These are the only 2 coasters that are open for early entry. We waited 2 trains for front seat. I like the Beast, but my kids loved it. It was their favorite wooden coaster of the trip. It was running probably the smoothest I ever seen. Later in the day we rode the back seat and it was still very smooth. I have several complaints about that coaster, but the important thing is my kids loved it.

By this time it was 10:00. We walked onto front seat of Back Lot Stunt Coaster. All the effects were working. We then went to Flight of Fear. We waited about 3 trains for front. Another enjoyable ride. We then went to Firehawk. This was my daughter's 200TH coaster. She made a sign, and I took photos of her on the coaster, holding her sign. They would not let me ride because of that sign. It didn't matter, those photos were mote important than a ride on Firehawk. Being that we were there early, the wait time was only 10 minutes. The kids really liked Firehawk.

We then headed for Vortex. We waited about 10 minutes for front seat. It's running a little rough this year and my kids hated it. We headed over to Racer, but I have already posted about the broken restraint, so I won't comment any further.

We rode Adventure Express and only waited 10 minutes. They are really making progress with Banshee. My kids really liked AE. We then headed to Delirium, a Hiss frisbee. Being that we didn't get to ride Max Air at Cedar Point, Delirium was a must. My kids really liked it, even more than Black Widow at Kennywood. The Huss frisbee's do nothing for me. We did ride it again, being that there was no line.

Next we hit Flight Deck. We grabbed the back seat and poached 2 more rides. This Arrow suspended coaster is a lot of fun. My daughter liked it more than Vortex at Canada's Wonderland. I actually disagreed.

We then went to the Vekoma inverted boomerang Invertigo. There was only a few cycle wait. We rode it twice, because my daughter loved it. The kids rode the back and the front. This was the first time I rode it since It's first year in 1999. It's a pretty decent ride, as long as the wait is minimal.

We then went to the kids section. The kids grabbed credits on Woodstock Express, a junior wooden and Flying Ace, a Vekoma junior invert. We also rode Boo Blasters from Boo Hill. It's a little different from the one at Kings Island and has unique vehicles. It's a great shoot em up dark ride. We also rode Surf Dog while in the area. This was our longest wait. It's a Disk-O with a hump in the middle.

Being that we conquered all the coasters that were open, and rode the ones we wanted to multiple times, we started riding some flats. We rode the scrambler, Troika, and the monster. This was my first ride on a monster/ spider since Kennywood had one. It was 7:00 and time to leave. We drove to Lexington KY and got a room. All in all it was the most fun that I have ever had at KI. My kids loved the park and so did I. Next up Dollywood.

Re: End of Summer Trip: Day #5 Kings Island by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 8/18/13 2:49:22 AM
Great Report again. I want to go to KI really bad. But I may go there when I come home next spring if Banshee opens by then. Banshee does look really cool.

Brandon Carlson

Re: End of Summer Trip: Day #5 Kings Island by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/18/13 10:31:49 AM
frontrow said:

We stayed in Sharonville Ohio... I have to drive past Kings Island on the way to work. I haven't made a special trip down there since 1999.

Please forgive me, but I'm a little confused. You drive past KI on the way to work, but you haven't been there in 14 years? And you "stayed" in Sharonville, I'm guessing at a motel, yet you drive past KI every day?

Anyway, I'm glad your kids enjoyed the park. This summer has gone by so fast... KI starts their reduced schedule next week. When I left there I intended to enjoy the place this year, but have only stopped in a few times, and that was just the waterpark.

Looking forward to Banshee next year!

Re: End of Summer Trip: Day #5 Kings Island by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/18/13 11:58:05 AM
RobLec said:

frontrow said:

We stayed in Sharonville Ohio... I have to drive past Kings Island on the way to work. I haven't made a special trip down there since 1999.

Please forgive me, but I'm a little confused. You drive past KI on the way to work, but you haven't been there in 14 years? And you "stayed" in Sharonville, I'm guessing at a motel, yet you drive past KI every day?

Anyway, I'm glad your kids enjoyed the park. This summer has gone by so fast... KI starts their reduced schedule next week. When I left there I intended to enjoy the place this year, but have only stopped in a few times, and that was just the waterpark.

Looking forward to Banshee next year!

I live in Pennsylvania, but I work on the river boats. My office is based out of Maysville KY. I drive to KY, past Kings Island, get a hotel, and get on the boat the next day. I stay on the boat and work 12 hours a day 7 days a week for 3 weeks straight. I never get off the boat for three weeks. After my 3 weeks are up, I get in my car and drive home. I'm then home for 3 weeks. I stop at Kings Island all the time on way to work, being I leave a day early. This was the first time since 1999 that I made a special trip to Kings Island. That is why my kids were never there. I only visit KI on my way to work. We stayed in Sharonville because we were at Indiana Beach earlier that day. Because I'm a little familiar with the area, I felt Sharonville would be our best bet for that early morning traffic. This way we were traveling away from the city instead of towards it. This allowed us to sleep a little longer.

Re: End of Summer Trip: Day #5 Kings Island by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/18/13 12:06:00 PM
I always thought KI was an underrated park. I've been wanting to go back since I went there back in 2009 but it's such a long trip (about 10 hours) and a hard drive on the car. I will be going back there next year though - that's for sure!

Really? You don't like Huss Frisbees? I find that strange, LOL. I love that Backlot SC has all the effects working - they were all up for me when I went as well and what a difference that makes for that ride. The one at KD is awful.

When I was talking to Ted, the gentleman I met during Nitro's ERT he said that when he first went on the Beast when it opened the ride time was 3 min 50 sec and the last time he timed it (this year I believe - his daughter lives near the park) it's almost a minute longer due to all the trims they've added. I thought that was very interesting.

Glad you and the kids had a great time!

Jen

Re: End of Summer Trip: Day #5 Kings Island by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/18/13 12:10:27 PM
frontrow said:

I stay on the boat and work 12 hours a day 7 days a week for 3 weeks straight. I never get off the boat for three weeks.

Yikes! So let me guess... you're not one for ocean cruises in your time off.

Re: End of Summer Trip: Day #5 Kings Island by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/18/13 12:35:46 PM
RobLec said:

frontrow said:

I stay on the boat and work 12 hours a day 7 days a week for 3 weeks straight. I never get off the boat for three weeks.

Yikes! So let me guess... you're not one for ocean cruises in your time off.

I wouldn't got on a cruise if it was completely free. I count down the days until I get off a boat. In fact I have to get on the boat again this coming Thursday.

Re: End of Summer Trip: Day #5 Kings Island by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/18/13 1:14:10 PM
It's great that you've been able to enjoy this coaster trip with your family. Kids grow up very quickly... your daughter at 200 coasters is quite an achievement.

Before long she (or they) won't want anything to do with their parents, but that ends eventually, too. Our younger son, who lived at home until last spring, lives not far from KI but never wants to go there with us. Meanwhile our older son, who has been overseas for several years and only home a month or so at a time, is eagerly looking forward to joining us on our next trip to Orlando this winter.

Re: End of Summer Trip: Day #5 Kings Island by d-lo775 d-lo775 Profile at 8/18/13 4:10:26 PM
What do you know, it's a small world after all. My hometown, Maysville, KY and my current city of Mason, OH. The only 2 places I've ever lived mentioned together in one thread. Never thought that I would see that on this forum, unless I brought it up.

I'll assume that you work for Crounse on Second Street. One of my friends from high school has worked there for 20 years.

Do you ever travel US 62 between Russellville, OH and Columbus, OH during the KI off season? Seems to me that route would cut a nice chunk of time (about a hour) off your travel time.

* This post was modified at 8/18/13 4:11:12 PM *

Re: End of Summer Trip: Day #5 Kings Island by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/18/13 4:38:02 PM
Hi, Dave! Long time, no see!
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: End of Summer Trip: Day #5 Kings Island by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/18/13 6:07:59 PM
d-lo775 said:

What do you know, it's a small world after all. My hometown, Maysville, KY and my current city of Mason, OH. The only 2 places I've ever lived mentioned together in one thread. Never thought that I would see that on this forum, unless I brought it up.

I'll assume that you work for Crounse on Second Street. One of my friends from high school has worked there for 20 years.

Do you ever travel US 62 between Russellville, OH and Columbus, OH during the KI off season? Seems to me that route would cut a nice chunk of time (about a hour) off your travel time.

I do work for Crounse Corporation. I've been there for 13 years now. What is your friend's name. I can almost guarantee I know him, especially if he has 20 years in. There's not many guys left that have more time than me. I have taken many different routes to work; 62, 68, 64 to the AA highway. There all about the same. I choose to go past Kings Island so I have the option to stop for a few hours. Now I'm very curious who your friend is.

Re: End of Summer Trip: Day #5 Kings Island by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 8/19/13 1:41:08 AM
I have only been to KI one time (even though my friend Karen with whom I travel on coaster trips lives about 30 minutes from it, and I've been to her place many times since as a starting point for various trips) and that was when Son of Beast was still running and it still had the loop. It wasn't very crowded when we were there either, but I think we went in the fall.

I'd like to get back there in a couple of years now that they have Diamondback and will have Banshee next year.

Re: End of Summer Trip: Day #5 Kings Island by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/19/13 9:03:22 AM
Schrecken said:
It wasn't very crowded when we were there either...

KI is rarely crowded, which is one of the great things about the park. It's gotten to where I can stop in and get a dozen rides in just a couple hours (about as long as I can stand). Of course, avoiding Saturdays, holidays, and special events like Spirit Song. And like most parks, it is best experienced early in the summer - June is great, and becomes much more crowded later in summer, say August, when everyone realizes summer is almost over.

Nice thing about living nearby and having season passes - if the park is crowded, just leave and come back another day. They generally handle crowds well, but some days it can get crazy.