Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > End of Summer Trip: Day #4 Indiana Beach

End of Summer Trip: Day #4 Indiana Beach

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
8/17/13 at
7:14:32 PM

The next morning we made our way down through Indiana into Monticello. Once again we arrived a half hour before the park opened. It was buy one admission, get one free day. I also get a discount for my ACE membership, parking is free also. So for $44 all 3 of us got in, what a bargain. I was at Indiana Beach in 2011, but it was on my way home from the boat. Therefore this was my kids first visit. When I visited Indiana Beach 2 years ago, I knew I would be back soon. I had a feeling my kids would really like it, and I was right.

Once again the crowds were non existent, a lot less people there this time compared to 2011 visit. They did let us in the park and we shot and few photos. We then got in line for Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain, and got first train of the day. This was a dark ride that was rebuilt into a wooden rollercoaster. It was CCI's last coaster that they built. There is an elevator lift for a lift hill. The small carriages make this ride extremely low capacity. The ride is super unique and just a ton of fun. I can't compare this coaster to anything that I ever ridden. We sat on the back carriage. I sat backwards, the kids sat facing forward. Once again it was a great ride and a real gem. Unfortunately this was our only ride on it for the day. Even if the que is half full, that's a 30 minute wait. A full que is 60 minutes, and the que line is super small. Ride this first if you go to IB.

Next we headed to Cornball Express. In 2011 I was extremely disappointed in this coaster. It was slow and had very little air time. I have read some of your reports that give this coaster great reviews. After the off-season racetracking, I now get it. This wooden coaster is exceptional. I won't put in my top 10, but probably in my top 15. It reminds me of The Raven at Holiday World or Cyclops at My. Olympus. Just a great ride full of air time, laterals, a very custom layout, and super smooth. My daughter liked it more than Shivering Timbers. We sat twice in the front and 5 times in the back seat. It was walk on all day. The back is the best ride.

Next we went over to the other woodie Hoosier Hurricane. It's an out and back. We ended up with 3 rides. A front, a middle, and a back seat. They will not let you wait for certain seats on this coaster, it's luck of the draw. It was running a little better than my last visit, but still pretty bumpy.

We made our way over to Tig're, a Shwazkopf Jet Coaster. This is another rare coaster. We rode it twice. My kids really liked it and so did I. Next we rode Steel Hawg. This coaster has the steepest drop in the US and was built by S&S. My kids called it a wild mouse on steroids. It's fun and unique. We rode it twice. Galaxi has our last coaster to ride. We only rode it once. It's another that kind of fits the park atmosphere.

Indiana Beach has a good flat ride collection and mst of them are over the lake. Once again I think we rode every flat, except the Ferris Wheel. They have a Tilt A Wirl, bumper cars, a scrambler, a yo yo swing ride, a swinging pirate ship, and a falling star, carpet type ride. The flyers were closed, and I was so disappointed. I didn't get to ride them last time or this time. We did ride the flume also.

On my last visit I overlooked their dark ride Den of Lost Thieves. This was our longest wait of the day, but it was worth it. What a great shoot em up dark ride. I'll have to do more research, but it looks old. It looks like it has been modernized. It still gives you that classic dark ride feel. We all really enjoyed it.

I paid the extra cash for Frankenstein's Castle. It's a $3.50 up charge per person, but totally worth it. It's my favorite walk through, and my kids loved it. It's very well done, very long, and once again gives you a classic feel.

We rode the sky ride and I shot a video. We left the park at 6:00 and drove to Cincinnati. All in all IB is making progress. The park is slowly getting better. The had a few kids rides and the Matterhorn taken apart for restoration. IB has a very cool atmosphere and we really had a great time there. I liked the park more than the kids did. IB is park that I know I will revist in the future. Anyone who likes small parks, needs to visit IB. Next up Kings Island.

Re: End of Summer Trip: Day #4 Indiana Beach by Tomes at 8/18/13 6:50:43 AM
So was the experience good overall?
I had planned to go with a friend to Indiana Beach a couple of summers ago and 1. it closed early for the season, 2. I read terrible things about the inefficiency of rides and ride operators. I heard it was just overall a terrible experience. But it doesn't sound like you had that same experience.

Also, How was steel hawg? My mouth was really watering over that ride, because it does have the steepest drop in the states and an outside-banked turn, as well as a downward-sloping barrell roll... 3 unique elements I have yet to experience. That was the main reason we had wanted to go. But a "wild mouse on steroids" doesn't sound too promising. What did you think? What "score" would you give it?

Re: End of Summer Trip: Day #4 Indiana Beach by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/18/13 9:58:18 AM
We had an awesome time at Indiana Beach. When I visited the park in 2011 I had a ton of complaints. The rides looked run down, the operations were terrible, the employees were not friendly at all, and the park seemed liked it was on It's last leg. On this visit most of those problems have been corrected. The operations are better and the employees were going out of their to be friendly. The wooden coasters have been retracted. Some of the rides have been refurbished and some are being refurbished now. They moved the Yo Yo swing ride where It's over the lake. They refurbished a flat ride called Falling Star and had it up and running. The park is slowly getting better. I will be going back in a few years. Steel Hawg is OK. The first drop is decent and it has 2 inversions. It's my 3rd favorite coaster there, behind Cornball Express and Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain. My kids and I would give Hawg a 7 out of 10. You can go to Facebook page under Kenneth Galante and check out photos from Indiana Beach and all other parks we've been to in the last 3 year's. I also shot a video of IB from the Sky Ride.

* This post was modified at 8/18/13 10:04:48 AM *

Re: End of Summer Trip: Day #4 Indiana Beach by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/18/13 10:12:38 AM
I really have to make it out there one day. I still kick myself for not going on my way home or to Iowa when I was in college. :-(

Jen

Re: End of Summer Trip: Day #4 Indiana Beach by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/18/13 10:38:35 AM
IB is certainly a unique little park, and I've always had loads of fun there... but my last visit was I think four years ago, just after they were bought by Morgan. I'd heard there was a couple years there when operations weren't so good, and it's good to hear they're getting it straightened out.

You didn't mention what day you were there, but there was an ERT event on Saturday 8/17... early rides on Den of Thieves, free admission to Frank's Castle, and an hour on the coasters after close. I had originally planned to attend but my wife had to work, and as my sons are grown now the place isn't as much fun alone... well, alone unless I bump into some friends :)

Re: End of Summer Trip: Day #4 Indiana Beach by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/18/13 11:47:20 AM
RobLec said:

IB is certainly a unique little park, and I've always had loads of fun there... but my last visit was I think four years ago, just after they were bought by Morgan. I'd heard there was a couple years there when operations weren't so good, and it's good to hear they're getting it straightened out.

You didn't mention what day you were there, but there was an ERT event on Saturday 8/17... early rides on Den of Thieves, free admission to Frank's Castle, and an hour on the coasters after close. I had originally planned to attend but my wife had to work, and as my sons are grown now the place isn't as much fun alone... well, alone unless I bump into some friends :)

We were at Indiana Beach on Thursday August 8th.