Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Best National Roller Coaster Day ever!! :-)

Best National Roller Coaster Day ever!! :-)

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
8/16/13 at
9:15:41 PM

First, Happy National Roller Coaster Day everyone!

I went to SFGadv for the ERT on Nitro from 10 - 10:30 this morning. My plan was to go on Nitro for a few rides for the 1/2 hour we had and then head over to Rolling Thunder since it's days are numbered, grab my "free" lunch and leave. Change of plans...

I got to Gadv around 9:40 am and was surprised to see a lot of people outside the security gate - they hadn't even started letting people through! They finally did around 9:50 and luckily I was able to get in front when they opened additional lines. They let us in the park a few minutes before 10 am. It was strange walking around with no one in sight.

I was walking with 2 other people I was talking to in line and we were the first one on the platform.

First train of the day!

I took my obligatory last row right seat and we were off - first ride of the day! Nitro was running a little sluggish - it was pretty cool out last night - get back to the platform and only 2 people waiting for my row. I didn't move. Around and around I went - 8 times to be exact and then I had to move to the second to last row for another 2 rides. That's right - 10 consecutive rides on Nitro! It was pretty cool to actually feel him get faster and faster with each ride. I normally get bored marathoning but I met this older gentleman named Ted who was also an ACE member. We started talking and were just chatting up a storm the entire time (while riding and all). He was awesome - 80 years old and still riding. God bless him!

1 hour and 10 rides later the platform started to fill enough we had to get off. As we were walking Ted said he hadn't ridden Batman TR in quite a few years so I said lets go on! It was a walk on and we rode last row. We walked by the fountain and I was going on RT and then lunch and he was leaving. We said our good byes and will look for each other at ACE events in the future. Great man!

I head over to RT and was worried that the line would be huge with ET down and it being around 11:40 am but it wasn't bad. Waited about 10 minutes for the front.

When I got on the train I saw my ride op friend from KK (he works KK or ET normally) so I said hello and asked him if he got demoted, LOL. He asks how I'm handling the ET news and I said it sucks but KK is my personal favorite. He asked me if I was headed over there next and I said that line would probably be ridiculous with ET down and he tells me "Oh, you don't wait on line - go up the exit. I'll call them and let you know you're coming". I thanked him profusely (he is so friggin awesome!) and took my RT ride. It felt faster today than last time. It's sad. I can't remember the park without RT since I was 8 when it opened. I'm so mad at them for letting him rot like that. All he needed was a little consistent TLC and he'd still be great as he used to be.

I got off and headed to KK and walked up the exit. I walk down the stairs and expected people to question me so I went near the one ride-op and before I opened my mouth he knew who I was. I got in the front row on the next train and had a CRAZY fast launch! Then we come around and the ride ops announce "Blue train - stay in your seats - you're going one more time!" I couldn't believe it. When they were checking the restraints the ride op says "you need to thank (my ride op friend - don't want to put his name b/c I don't know if he could get in trouble) for this." I can't believe he let me bypass a 2 1/2 hr + wait and let me ride 2x! Amazing! It goes to show when you take the time to go online and give credit to the employees that deserve it, it may come back to you 10 fold.

I made my way back to Best of the West for lunch and left the park. It was ridiculously crowded. I never saw so many camp groups in my life and a lot of people were pissed about ET. Since I already knew it was no shock to me. I had a great day and met some great people.

It was an awesome way to celebrate NRCD and I felt like a VIP! :-)

Jen

* This post was modified at 8/16/13 9:27:58 PM *

Re: Best National Roller Coaster Day ever!! :-) by JeffyJosephNCali at 8/16/13 11:07:10 PM
Awesome report! I hope to one day visit SFGAdv, though the closest I'll experience it is on RCT2! lol :)
Re: Best National Roller Coaster Day ever!! :-) by alpengeistno3 at 8/17/13 1:17:41 AM
Awesome, TR, Jen. It pays to head towards Nitro 1st, doesn't it? :)

Paul

Re: Best National Roller Coaster Day ever!! :-) Photo by Judy_P_in_Pgh Judy_P_in_Pgh Profile at 8/17/13 1:21:23 AM
Finally got to my home park, Kennywood, with a former student now turned coaster junkie. After a long summer of coaster-bagging (that darned-near killed me), I have updated my top 10 list. OK, OK, so there are 11. That #10 spot has me agonizing. User Submitted Picture
Re: Best National Roller Coaster Day ever!! :-) by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/17/13 2:18:41 AM
Very good day for you. :) that ride op is a great friend to have.
Re: Best National Roller Coaster Day ever!! :-) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/18/13 11:17:59 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Very good day for you. :) that ride op is a great friend to have.

And I met them while I waited about an hour for KK while he was down in the beginning of the season - it was freezing out and there were problems with the sensors due tot he cold. That crew was so awesome that I sent an e-mail to Gadv stating how awesome they were and they not only saw the e-mail but apparently got a bunch of accolades for it. So whenever I see them they were so grateful that I get these awesome "perks", which was not my intention but I will gladly take it! The ride op "friend" I talk about was the one in charge of the crew and now he seems to be in charge of a lot of things so I may have helped to get him a promotion as well, LOL!

Jen

Re: Best National Roller Coaster Day ever!! :-) by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 8/19/13 2:04:15 PM
Cool trip report. That's awesome about KK!! Talk about first class service.

I'm jealous, I really need to start getting involved in some of these clubs and events.