Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Trip Report...Cedar Point, Waldameer, Conneaut Lake

Trip Report...Cedar Point, Waldameer, Conneaut Lake

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
8/16/13 at
8:58:28 PM

I'm not gonna do a Trip Report.

You are.

I'm gonna give you an introduction, and then there will be a test. Some questions will be multiple choice. Some will not. There will be clues interspersed throughout. There is no time limit. Some questions may have more than one correct answer.

After all tests have been handed in, I will come on and provide the correct answers..if I can remember them. Dr. Quinlan is excused from answering question #1. She will join the rest of the class later.

Some information you need:

I drove to Sandusky on Monday, Aug 12th. I spent Tuesday at CP (multiple previous visits), drove to Waldameer (2nd visit, 1st since '09) on Wednesday, spent the day, and stayed with my brother in Sharon, PA. I spent yesterday at Conneaut Lake Park (1st visit), overnight with John again, and returned to NJ today. I stayed on premises at CP (Breakers) for the first time.

Okay, let's begin. Eyes on your own papers, please.
-----------------------------------------------
1. It wouldn't be a Beastmaster coaster trip without an injury of some sort. What injury did I sustain?

A) Blister on ball of right foot
B) Slightly twisted ankle tripping on stairs at Breakers
C) Possible cracked rib(s) on Ravine Flyer II
D) None of the above
----------------------------------------------

2) On what leg of the journey did I become so hopelessly lost that I ended up in another state?

A) NJ to Sandusky
B) John's to Conneaut Lake
C) Sandusky to Waldameer
D) Conneaut Lake to John's
------------------------------------------------
3)What personal item did Ravine Flyer II remove from me on my first ride?

A. Phone
B. Cap
C. Wristwatch
D. Comb
E. None of the above.
4) Match the flat ride at Conneaut to its status:

A. Yo-Yo
B. Tilt-A-Whirl
C. Tumble Bug
D. Round-Up
E. Toboggan

F) Sign and stairs present, but no ride
G) Not operating, overgrown with weeds
H) Sign present, no ride
I) Running well at full capacity
J) Looks in decent shape, but out of order
-------------------------------------------------
5) What coaster was most visible from my hotel window at Breakers? (hint..I did not get on it.)
6) I had a hot dog/onion ring combo at two establishments: Sarah's near Waldameer and Pinks at Cedar Point. Name my winner (it wasn't even close)
7) All three parks have a Music Express. Which one was not operating, and which one was the fastest I've been on?

--------------------------------------------------
8) On which coaster, formerly my #1 steel, did I have my second best ride ever? (only got one)
9) I added four new-to-me coasters to my count. What were they? (I thought it was two, but I trust CoasterCounter :))
10) Dueling Dark Rides: What was my preference between Waldameer's Wacky Shack and Conneaut's Devils Den?
---------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------11) Dueling Blue Streaks: Conneaut or Cedar Point?
--------------------------------------------------12) What coaster, formerly my overall #1, would now be lucky to rank above Dark Knight? (and I'm not sure it does)
13) What steel coaster, very "meh" to me on my first rides, has become one I actually enjoy?
14) What coaster did I get thirty rides on, the most on this trip? (I DID have FastLane)
15) I only got on one water ride this trip, unusual for me. What was it? (It wasn't Shoot The Rapids..oh, wait..)
16) Pizza Wars: Chet and Matt's Sandusky, or the $1 slice on Thrifty Thursday at Conneaut?
17) What roller coaster featured a seat that was missing the seat, a seat that would not stay in place, malfunctioning lap bars, and an attendant that not only allowed the train to cruise through the station when no one was waiting, but also at one point had to physically push the train..with passengers..to the unload point?
18) Please estimate my total cash outlay for the following:

Two nights at Breakers
One Day Admission ticket to Cedar Point
Fast Lane at CP Tuesday
Waldameer Rides-Only Wristband
Conneaut Rides wristband with Blue Streak upgrade
(A Friend was treating me to some stuff)
19) What CP coaster actually had a sign on a seat that read "This Seat Is Not Available?" (I've never seen that, I don't think)
20) Yours Truly has not been to GrAdv since mid-may, and as a result, has not been on El Toro since that time. What ride on this trip, is pushing ET as my #1?
My format got messed up around #'s 11-13, but you'll figure it out :)

Mike

*EDITED to change RCDB to CoasterCounter...what I meant to type originally.)

* This post was modified at 8/17/13 12:35:32 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Trip Report...Cedar Point, Waldameer, Conneaut Lake by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/16/13 10:59:43 PM
Seriously?! What did they put in your hot dog/onion ring combo? This is a bit complicated to answer on here! :-P

Jen

Re: Trip Report...Cedar Point, Waldameer, Conneaut Lake by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/17/13 7:05:04 AM
GoYanks34 said:

Seriously?! What did they put in your hot dog/onion ring combo? This is a bit complicated to answer on here! :-P

Jen

Hey, you got a head start ...so kwitcherbitchin. :)

Judy P. answered privately. She got 7 correct out of 20.

* This post was modified at 8/17/13 10:01:10 AM *

Re: Trip Report...Cedar Point, Waldameer, Conneaut Lake by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/17/13 11:06:45 AM
1)A
2)B
3)C
4) A-H
B-J
C-I
D-F
E-G
5) Wicked Twister
6) Sarah's
7) not operating: Conneaut Fastest: Waldameer
8) Millennium Force
9) Blue Streak at Conneaut, Gatekeeper, Gemini blue side and Tumble Bug at Conneaut
10) Wacky Shack
11) Conneaut
12) ?
13) Maverick
14) Ravine Flyer II
15) The flume log ride at Waldameer
16) Chet and Matt's
17) Blue Streak Conneaut
18) $145
19) Magnum XL 200
20) Ravine Flyer II
Re: Trip Report...Cedar Point, Waldameer, Conneaut Lake by drachen drachen Profile at 8/17/13 11:35:29 AM
This looks like fun... Answers in bold.

beastmaster said:

Okay, let's begin. Eyes on your own papers, please.
-----------------------------------------------
1. It wouldn't be a Beastmaster coaster trip without an injury of some sort. What injury did I sustain?

A) Blister on ball of right foot
B) Slightly twisted ankle tripping on stairs at Breakers
C) Possible cracked rib(s) on Ravine Flyer II
D) None of the above
----------------------------------------------

2) On what leg of the journey did I become so hopelessly lost that I ended up in another state?

A) NJ to Sandusky
B) John's to Conneaut Lake
C) Sandusky to Waldameer
D) Conneaut Lake to John's
3)What personal item did Ravine Flyer II remove from me on my first ride?

A. Phone
B. Cap
C. Wristwatch
D. Comb (Definitely not a comb...)
E. None of the above.
4) Match the flat ride at Conneaut to its status:

A. Yo-Yo H
B. Tilt-A-Whirl I
C. Tumble Bug J
D. Round-Up F
E. Toboggan G

F) Sign and stairs present, but no ride
G) Not operating, overgrown with weeds
H) Sign present, no ride
I) Running well at full capacity
J) Looks in decent shape, but out of order
5) What coaster was most visible from my hotel window at Breakers? (hint..I did not get on it.)
Corkscrew
6) I had a hot dog/onion ring combo at two establishments: Sarah's near Waldameer and Pinks at Cedar Point. Name my winner (it wasn't even close)
Sahah's - EASIEST ANSWER YET
7) All three parks have a Music Express. Which one was not operating, and which one was the fastest I've been on?
Not operating - Conneaut
Fastest - Waldameer

8) On which coaster, formerly my #1 steel, did I have my second best ride ever? (only got one)
Millennium Force
9) I added four new-to-me coasters to my count. What were they? (I thought it was two, but I trust RCDB :))
1) Blue Streak - CLP
2) GateKeeper - CP
3) Steel Dragon - Waldameer
4) You rode the kiddie coaster at Conneaut, didn't you?

10) Dueling Dark Rides: What was my preference between Waldameer's Wacky Shack and Conneaut's Devils Den?
I hope your answer is Whack Shack...
---------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------11) Dueling Blue Streaks: Conneaut or Cedar Point?
Tough one for me. I will say Cedar Point's.
--------------------------------------------------12) What coaster, formerly my overall #1, would now be lucky to rank above Dark Knight? (and I'm not sure it does)
Magnum? What happened?
13) What steel coaster, very "meh" to me on my first rides, has become one I actually enjoy?
Gemini
14) What coaster did I get thirty rides on, the most on this trip? (I DID have FastLane)
Gemini, and good for you if you did!
15) I only got on one water ride this trip, unusual for me. What was it? (It wasn't Shoot The Rapids..oh, wait..)
Waldameer's Flume
16) Pizza Wars: Chet and Matt's Sandusky, or the $1 slice on Thrifty Thursday at Conneaut?
Conneaut's
17) What roller coaster featured a seat that was missing the seat, a seat that would not stay in place, malfunctioning lap bars, and an attendant that not only allowed the train to cruise through the station when no one was waiting, but also at one point had to physically push the train..with passengers..to the unload point?
Has to be CLP Blue Streak
18) Please estimate my total cash outlay for the following:

Two nights at Breakers $350
One Day Admission ticket to Cedar Point $55
Fast Lane at CP Tuesday $90
Waldameer Rides-Only Wristband $25
Conneaut Rides wristband with Blue Streak upgrade $20

(A Friend was treating me to some stuff)
19) What CP coaster actually had a sign on a seat that read "This Seat Is Not Available?" (I've never seen that, I don't think)
Cedar Creek Mine Ride
20) Yours Truly has not been to GrAdv since mid-may, and as a result, has not been on El Toro since that time. What ride on this trip, is pushing ET as my #1?
Ravine Flyer 2
My format got messed up around #'s 11-13, but you'll figure it out :)

Mike

How did I do?

* This post was modified at 8/17/13 11:37:53 AM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Trip Report...Cedar Point, Waldameer, Conneaut Lake by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/17/13 11:39:27 AM
Ken was correct on exactly half, including #4, which I thought was the toughest of the "answerable" questions (I consider the "cash outlay" question "un-answerable"..I'm sure nobody will hit that.

On to check drachen's paper....

Mike

Re: Trip Report...Cedar Point, Waldameer, Conneaut Lake by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/17/13 11:46:16 AM
Drachen, you scored six correct. And I did not ride the Lil Dipper at Conneaut. I asked if I could, and the attendant turned me away due to the 56" (I think) height maximum. Steel Dragon I'd been on my previous visit.

* This post was modified at 8/17/13 11:47:16 AM *

Re: Trip Report...Cedar Point, Waldameer, Conneaut Lake by drachen drachen Profile at 8/17/13 12:44:17 PM
beastmaster said:

Drachen, you scored six correct. And I did not ride the Lil Dipper at Conneaut. I asked if I could, and the attendant turned me away due to the 56" (I think) height maximum. Steel Dragon I'd been on my previous visit.

Dang... I thought I had done better...

When will you give us the answers?

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Trip Report...Cedar Point, Waldameer, Conneaut Lake by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/17/13 2:26:10 PM
Likely tomorrow, unless there's more traffic on the thread.
Re: Trip Report...Cedar Point, Waldameer, Conneaut Lake by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/18/13 9:38:02 AM
beastmaster said:

Ken was correct on exactly half, including #4, which I thought was the toughest of the "answerable" questions (I consider the "cash outlay" question "un-answerable"..I'm sure nobody will hit that.

On to check drachen's paper....

Mike

#4 isn't that hard if you've watched Ray's videos

Jen

Time For The Answers! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/18/13 2:23:37 PM
Only four students showed up in the exam room with their #2 keyboards sharpened and ready to go.
I gave all students credit for #14, as it was a bit of a trick question.

Jen answered privately.

The grades:

Ken (frontrow) 12 out of 20
Jen (GoYanks34) 10 out of 20
Judy (Judy_P_in_Pgh) 8 out of 20
Drachen 7 out of 20

Which questions correct?

Ken..3,4,7,8,10,11,13,14,15,16,17,20
Jen..1,4,5,6,7,8,9,14,15,17
Judy..1,7,8,12,14,16,17,20
Drachen..7,8,10,14,15,17,20

The Answers:

1. I took a hard shot to my left side and probably cracked a rib on my second ride on Ravine Flyer II. Starting to feel better now..I won't be going to the doctor, though..at least not for that.

2. I did miss one turn on the way from John's to Conneaut, but it was the RETURN trip on which I got hopelessly lost. I don't have a GPS, and I was traveling through miles and miles of farmland, not a soul around to ask for directions and gas getting low. When I saw a sign for Youngstown, I headed that way, knowing I could pick up Rt. 80 to Sharon. I didn't realize until then that I was actually in Ohio.

3. Wristwatch. After my first ride on Ravine Flyer II, waiting for my second, I realized my left wrist was naked as a jaybird. They say time flies when you're having fun, but I never took it literally until that moment.

4. A-H..B-J..C-I..D-F..E-G

5. Top Thrill Dragster. I had a bit easier fit on Millennium this year, but skipped Wicked Twister and couldn't come close to buckling the test seat on Dragster. I could not fit in either WT or TTD last September. Oh well, I've always got Kingda Ka and Possessed.

6. Pinks at Cedar Point. It's a nine-inch boiled dog with onion rings ON it, as well as BBQ sauce, which I skipped. Good snap and taste to the dog, although I dunno what brand they serve. Rings cooked perfectly, in a heavy batter as I like 'em. People here and elsewhere have recommended Sarahs. I never had a Smith's dog and it was not very appetizing. Onion rings were thin and couldn't hold the batter..very bland.

7. Conneaut's Music Express was Out Of Order. Didn't look like I was missing much. Waldameer's, which I think is new this season or last, was not only surprisingly fast, but had a very long cycle and an almost-as-long-and-fast backwards ride. I also rode the adjacent Scrambler without any annoying No-Single-Rider restrictions.

8. Millennium Force. Judy's always saying the blue train is the fastest, and on this ride, I was a believer. I only got one ride, just after opening. But that was enough to move it back into my #2 steel spot. The only ride I've had that was better was a front seat ride with Jen in 2010 before I headed north of the border.

9. Gatekeeper, Conneaut Blue Streak, and the Tumble Bug and Devils Den at Conneaut. The latter two are on CoasterCounter, so I'm taking the credits. I remember thinking as I went up the tiny hill on DD.."Why isn't this a coaster? It has wheels, a lift hill and a drop? (7 FEET!) I enjoyed Gatekeeper immensely on a front right and back left ride. No problems with restraints. I barely felt the tightening others have mentioned. Not sure I'd want to ride it all day, but I liked the trackless sensation. Blue Streak might make my top 20 if it didn't crawl on the return trip and eliminated the jarring at the bottom of the first hill. It took me until my third ride to find my seat..last car, middle row. I tried the back and near the front and they were quite painful for me.

10. Wacky Shack at Waldameer is a classic..I rode it 4 or 5 times. There are more stunts, they're more active, and it's a far longer ride. But I enjoyed both..brought back memories of the Jersey Shore ride piers' ride-throughs.

11. I preferred Conneaut's Blue Streak, mainly for the comfort of the cars and the lack of seat belts. CP is a little tight for me, and I have trouble maneuvering the seat belt in order to buckle. CP's is in much better condition, though.

12. Mean Streak. I rode front car, second row. My friends told me I needed to be in the very front. I find the ride now to be painful, slow and boring..three things it certainly was NOT on my initial visit back in the early 90's. Dark Knight may be a lot of things, but painful (physically, anyway) is not one of them.

13. Maverick. I've realized the similarities to I-305, and have come to appreciate it more. Had two rides with Fast Lane early with no wait.

14. The reason I said this was kind of a trick question was that I said I had Fast Lane. I never said I used it on the ride in question, though. That's why I graded on a curve and gave all students a correct answer. The ride in question is Conneaut's Blue Streak. Once I found my seat, I was golden. It didn't open with the park. In fact, the woman at the sales booth, while very nice, wouldn't even sell me the wristband that included Blue Streak. I had to go back and upgrade once the ride opened.

15. Waldameer's flume, which I think is called Thunder River.

16. I've been seeing mentions of Chet and Matt's here and on other fora for a while now. I met my friend there before heading to the hotel late Monday afternoon. We got a four-cheese with sausage, half with peppers for him. Good pizza, but I think I might have liked the traditional cheese better. Excellent sausage, awful iced tea. Conneaut's dollar slice was a bargain, and not bad at all..maybe slightly underdone.

17. Blue Streak at Conneaut, of course. The op, whose name I failed to get, was doing a great job running the ride by himself. It's from 1938, and still uses levers to brake, stop, and release the single train. At one point, his timing was off, so he wedged a three-legged stool against the levers to hold their position, walked to the back of the train that had just returned to the station, put his back to it, and pushed it to the unload point. Niiice....

18. $45

19. Raptor

20. Ravine Flyer II. Despite the injury, despite the watch, despite El Toro, this ride wants to make a move. It's not particularly tall, but the sense of speed on this ride is incredible. One of my favorite moments on anty coaster is going into and coming out of Lightning Racer's tunnel at night. It feels like you're traveling over 100mph, although it's an illusion. RFII feels like that all the way through, despite topping at 60mph. Combine that with awesome views of Lake Erie, a coupla tunnels, the bridge crossing the road, and seats that I can fit in with no problem at all, and we have a new (potential) #1 for the beastmaster. RF has been my #2 since my initial rides in '09. I took 8 rides Wednesday in increments of 2. I haven't been on on Toro..or to GrAdv at all..since May, mostly due to heat and surgery. Now it looks like there's a chance I may not ride it again this year, denying the bull a chance to defend itself against this hard-charging beast by the lake.

Thanks to the students who participated, and thanks to everyone else who played hooky, but took the time to read.

Mike

* This post was modified at 8/18/13 6:14:04 PM *

Re: Time For The Answers! by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/18/13 5:58:15 PM
Hey Mike I got #8 correct also. I do believe you would have fit on Dragster. I was also an inch short from buckling the seat belt on the test seat. There are some new belts on Dragster in various places and they are an inch longer. They are randomly placed, but you can tell which ones that are new. If I fit, I know you would have fit. Something to keep in mind for your next visit.
Re: Time For The Answers! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/18/13 6:06:47 PM
frontrow said:

Hey Mike I got #8 correct also.

Alright already - you won! Keep rubbing it in why don't you! :-P

Jen

Re: Time For The Answers! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/18/13 6:10:05 PM
Sorry about the slip. You are now edited and credited with another correct answer (see above)

Last year, I did not try the test seat on Dragster, and the attendants could not get me in, although, they gave it a good shot. This time, when I did try the tester, I was at LEAST two inches short on the belt. You just never know. You have a different body type than me.

EDIT-Jen snuck in on me.

* This post was modified at 8/18/13 6:11:37 PM *

Re: Time For The Answers! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/18/13 6:13:05 PM
beastmaster said:

Sorry about the slip. You are now edited and credited with another correct answer (see above)

Last year, I did not try the test seat on Dragster, and the attendants could not get me in, although, they gave it a good shot. This time, when I did try the tester, I was at LEAST two inches short on the belt. You just never know. You have a different body type than me.

EDIT-Jen snuck in on me.

You could have fit on TTD with the new belts. I'm positive of that.

Jen