Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > El Toro may be down for the season

El Toro may be down for the season

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
8/15/13 at
12:56:49 AM

Apparently had a major malfunction and it's rumored to be down for the season. :-(

This was posted on the FB page for the ACE riding of the Bull event by one of their reps in response to everyone freaking out:

There has been no official announcement that the ride is closed for the season. We are monitoring the situation closely and will keep everyone informed of El Toro's status as soon as we find out more from the park. We assure you that if in fact it has to be closed for the season, night ERT will take place on another coaster or coasters and we will make attendance worth your while! -Adam Revesz, Assistant Regional Rep

This sucks.... Unless it turns into a riding of the Green King! 1 1/2 hrs ERT on KK I'll take! :-P

If I see any updates I'll post them.

Jen

* This post was modified at 8/15/13 12:58:13 AM *

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 8/15/13 1:06:54 AM
That would be unfortunate! I'm still not sure if I'm going to be able to go to this event, but I would take ERT on KK as it was down the last and only time I ever visited your home park.
Re: El Toro may be down for the season by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 8/15/13 8:13:50 AM
Egh. This sucks. I just missed this coaster last week because of the chiropractic work Skyrush did on my back but I was still planning on going over to Jersey before the season was up.

Please keep us posted if you hear anything more.

Michael W.

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/15/13 9:47:48 AM
And ACE NJ rep Bret wrote the following FYI email regarding the Sept 7 event (I'll be attending no matter what):

Park officials have reached out to me. Here are the FACTS.

El Toro's lift motor has blown. It's not a meltdown. The motor is being shipped to Maryland. If it can be rebuilt, El Toro should run.

If a new motor is needed then it's done for the season. As a backup plan the park has already set into motion replacement ERT as well as something super special if it's determined that El Toro won't run for the event.

When we have the FACTS we will pass them to you.

That being said, let me remind everyone, you are getting the entire park for the evening. This means you could get 20 Nitro night rides, 11:30 pm Kinda Ka rides, a 10:30 pm Ferris Wheel run, ride the Bumper Cars with your friends or a Sky Screamer take over. How about a spin on Roller Thunder or a spin on any one of the B&M coasters? If you have a season pass, you're getting Private Park time, ERT on Nitro and Batman the Ride, ERT on El Toro or a replacement coaster, amazing behind the scenes tours, a large amount of door prizes and a meal for 22.00

Bret (Staying Cool) Ulozas
ACE NJ Regional Rep

* This post was modified at 8/15/13 9:48:35 AM *

Mike B.
Re: El Toro may be down for the season by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/15/13 9:48:41 AM
Here's the update from ACE:

Park officials have reached out to me. Here are the FACTS.

El Toro's lift motor has blown. It's not a meltdown. The motor is being shipped to Maryland. If it can be rebuilt, El Toro should run.
If a new motor is needed then it's done for the season. As a backup plan the park has already set into motion replacement ERT as well as something super special if it's determined that El Toro won't run for the event.

That being said, let me remind everyone, you are getting the entire park for the evening. This means you could get 20 Nitro night rides, 11:30pm Kinda Ka rides, a 10:30pm Ferris Wheel run, ride the Bumper Cars with your friends or a Sky Screamer take over. How about a spin on Roller Thunder or a spin on any one of the B&M coasters? If you have a season pass, you're getting Private Park time, ERT on Nitro and Batman the Ride, ERT on El Toro or a replacement coaster, amazing behind the scenes tours, a large amount of door prizes and a meal for 22.00

Jen

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/15/13 9:51:32 AM
Well Mike I guess great minds think alike, LOL!

Jen

* This post was modified at 8/15/13 9:51:56 AM *

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/15/13 11:19:24 AM
I guess the Intimidation that El Toro got from it's younger, steel brother got the best of him.

At least El Toro turned seven before it blew it's top... that is motor. :)

Nah, hopefully they will give us ERT on something else.

I like the idea that someone mentioned on the ACE event page about racing RT as a send off if September 8th is indeed it's last day.

I think most of you here would appreciate that.

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/15/13 11:29:16 AM
antikythera said:

I like the idea that someone mentioned on the ACE event page about racing RT as a send off if September 8th is indeed it's last day.

I think most of you here would appreciate that.

Definitely but I doubt that's going to happen. The right side has been closed now for a while and according to the ACE ROTB page only the left side will be operating on 9/7 so something must be wrong with the right side and they're not going to put in the effort to fix it. I wish they did though - it's would be great for RT to go out racing as it was intended.

Jen

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/15/13 5:07:28 PM
Dang, it's been a bad time for some major coasters lately. Xcelerator at KBF is down also; The rumor is that the launch cable snapped.
Re: El Toro may be down for the season by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/15/13 5:08:12 PM
Overbanked said:

Dang, it's been a bad time for some major coasters lately. Xcelerator at KBF is down also; The rumor is that the launch cable snapped.

Oh no! :-(

Jen

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/15/13 5:22:25 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Overbanked said:

Oh no! :-(

Jen

Yeah, what?
Again?
Yikes.
Glad I got to ride a few times in March...my first ever Knott's visit. Only issue then was one train...which I knew not prior to visiting...a true WTF moment when I realized. But we rode just after park opening, four quick rides were had.

Mike B.
Re: El Toro may be down for the season by Jersey_Joe Jersey_Joe Profile at 8/15/13 5:38:21 PM
Sad to hear this news. El Toro is an amazing ride!

Has anyone heard the rumor to ride Rolling Thunder asap? The rumor I keep hearing is that it's going to be removed.

Does anyone have any news on that?

Jersey Joe

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/15/13 5:47:44 PM
Jersey_Joe said:

Has anyone heard the rumor to ride Rolling Thunder asap? The rumor I keep hearing is that it's going to be removed.

Jersey Joe

Latest rumor is Sept 8th will be the last operating day. :-(

Jen

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by Jersey_Joe Jersey_Joe Profile at 8/15/13 6:06:57 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Jersey_Joe said:

Jersey Joe

Latest rumor is Sept 8th will be the last operating day. :-(

Jen

Can't say I'll miss it all that much. El Toro blows it out of the water and that squealing is God Awful! lol

Makes room for something better, right?

Jersey Joe

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by alpengeistno3 at 8/15/13 7:28:31 PM
Overbanked said:

You mean "a bad time for INTAMIN coasters," lol!

Paul

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/15/13 7:47:00 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Overbanked said:

Paul

I didn't even think about that...

Happy Birthday by the way! :-)

Jen

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by Patripman Patripman Profile at 8/15/13 9:07:37 PM
"How about a spin on Roller Thunder".

No thanks!
Please call the ride by its real name Rolling Dumpster

patripman

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by Jersey_Joe Jersey_Joe Profile at 8/15/13 9:27:51 PM
Patripman said:

No thanks!

patripman

Or Rotting Lumber, right, Tripman? lol

Jersey Joe

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/15/13 11:25:35 PM
Now that I'm thin enough to ride El Toro, it's down. We were considering coming back out on a Sunday in October, just so I could ride El Toro this year. That walk of shame on Easter Sunday has left a sour taste. Well if they don't get running this year, there's always next year. We now have Cedar Fair and Six Flag passes, so we have some options for October. We only have a few hundred dollars left in our " coaster fund" for this year, so it will probably be a 1 park trip. Still haven't been to Dorney, Kings Dominion, of Six Flags America this year, so maybe we will hit one of those parks. If they get Flying Turns running this year, Knoebles will be the park we visit.
Re: El Toro may be down for the season by drachen drachen Profile at 8/15/13 11:30:24 PM
Perhaps El Toro learned of its grandpa, Rolling Thunder's pending demise and decided to go on strike...

There are a lot of coasters out there that have a mind of their own.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: El Toro may be down for the season by alpengeistno3 at 8/16/13 12:37:58 AM
GoYanks34 said:

alpengeistno3 said:

Overbanked said:

Paul

I didn't even think about that...

Happy Birthday by the way! :-)

Jen

Thanks, Jen. I wish it could have been "happier" by doing some end of summer coaster riding instead of sitting in a freezing cold elementary school library for my 4th day of all day meetings where the word "music" has not been uttered once (all about the new evaluation process, Common Core, and other BS that has little to do with teaching kids to play instruments.) At least I got to the Cedar Point trip and Dorney earlier this month (I was working on at TR for that, but got hopelessly sidetracked)

Paul

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/16/13 1:17:33 AM
frontrow said:

Now that I'm thin enough to ride El Toro, it's down. We were considering coming back out on a Sunday in October, just so I could ride El Toro this year. That walk of shame on Easter Sunday has left a sour taste. Well if they don't get running this year, there's always next year. We now have Cedar Fair and Six Flag passes, so we have some options for October. We only have a few hundred dollars left in our " coaster fund" for this year, so it will probably be a 1 park trip. Still haven't been to Dorney, Kings Dominion, of Six Flags America this year, so maybe we will hit one of those parks. If they get Flying Turns running this year, Knoebles will be the park we visit.

I'd say do KD and SFA. Depending on traffic, you can easily get from Bowie (Mitchellville, to be exact) to Doswell in a little less than two hours.

Although, I'd probably hit KD first. You can easily hit SFA the next morning and be done with it by midafternoon, back in PA in time for supper.

* This post was modified at 8/16/13 1:18:26 AM *

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/16/13 10:49:11 AM
Patripman said:

No thanks!

patripman

Hint of Ripples there?

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: El Toro may be down for the season by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/16/13 5:25:20 PM
(Expletive deleted)

Nice news to come back to on NRCD.

(Expletive deleted)

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: El Toro may be down for the season by alpengeistno3 at 8/17/13 1:12:03 AM
^^^He's back!! :)

Paul

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/17/13 2:36:13 AM
I hope this is an easy off season fix. I dunno what my plans are for next year, but i'd like to be able to go to sfgadv and ride el toro at least once. Much as i enjoyed my trip in 2008, it just felt hollow without having a ride on all the big coasters there.
Re: El Toro may be down for the season by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/17/13 10:23:08 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

I hope this is an easy off season fix. I dunno what my plans are for next year, but i'd like to be able to go to sfgadv and ride el toro at least once. Much as i enjoyed my trip in 2008, it just felt hollow without having a ride on all the big coasters there.

It is. If the motor cannot be rebuilt it will be replaced and should be easily p and running by next year. There is still a chance it will be up this year as well depending on if it can be rebuilt or not.

Jen

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/22/13 3:46:32 PM
So any word on the status?
Re: El Toro may be down for the season by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/22/13 4:11:14 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

So any word on the status?

Not yet.

Jen

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/22/13 4:41:57 PM
Darn :(
I guess it's next year at best for me then. I'm not going back unless El Toro is running.
Re: El Toro may be down for the season by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/22/13 5:40:26 PM
It annoys me to no end how hard it is to find out any insider info when rides are down. By this time,something should be known. Can they fix this old motor or do they have to put in for a new one?? I am sure they know something by now!!!
Re: El Toro may be down for the season by McCloud11 at 8/26/13 7:29:38 PM
RMC to rotting lumber eh? I wish.
Rotting Lumber isn't really tall but I guess it can work if you add height and steepen the drop creating room. Texas giant has a little airtime hill after this first drop filling up the gap, but you can't really do that on Rotting Lumber or you will bang your head on El Toro.

Jackson

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/27/13 8:14:30 AM
Why would Sept 8th be RT's last day? I will be headed to the park this Friday with friends, so we will be sure to get some rides in.

My friend isn't gonna be happy about El Toro...agh!

Is the September 7th event for everyone? What's the time details for it?

Also, it's been bothering me for a while now...how the hell do we edit our signatures?

* This post was modified at 8/27/13 8:16:18 AM *

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: El Toro may be down for the season by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 8/27/13 9:25:29 AM
mugen828 said:

how the hell do we edit our signatures?

On the topic index page. At the top of the index you click on "Prefs". With the icon it's User Preferences. You can edit your signature and time zone there.

-Eric

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/27/13 9:35:36 AM
Eric_Gieszl said:

mugen828 said:

how the hell do we edit our signatures?

On the topic index page. At the top of the index you click on "Prefs". With the icon it's User Preferences. You can edit your signature and time zone there.

-Eric

Thanks Eric!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: El Toro may be down for the season by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/27/13 12:21:45 PM
mugen828 said:

I don't know all the details, but you have to be a member of ACE or a guest of one to participate in the activities, ERT, Tours, etc. The park is open to the public until 8 (I may be off on that time) For three hours at the end of the night, only the ACErs and another group will be in the park. There was supposed to be ERT on Toro, but that will change. There's early ERT on Batman, as well as your favorite, Kyle. Check-in is early, 8:15-9am

Mike, who'll likely be there, thanks to Jen.

* This post was modified at 8/27/13 12:23:10 PM *

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/27/13 1:43:09 PM
mugen828 said:

Why would Sept 8th be RT's last day? I will be headed to the park this Friday with friends, so we will be sure to get some rides in.

My guess is 9/8 is the last day because they have to start tearing it down to get everything going for 2014. We'll know tomorrow if the rumor is true or not.

For the 9/7 Riding of the Bull (or not) it's an ACE event and you have to be an ace member or guest of one to attend. Nitro and Batman ERT from 9:30 - 10:30. Behind the scenes coaster tours throughout the day. Buffet lunch at Mexican Fiesta. Riding of the Bull (or another coaster I'm hoping is KK if it's down) 7 pm - 8:30. Park open for the just the 2 groups that will be there until midnight with all major rides and coasters staying open. The other group does not participate in our ERTs.

Jen

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/27/13 5:35:24 PM
Finally mailed in my registration today for ROTB (I refuse to pay the ~$3 upcharge to book online -- that's my toll money).

I have to wonder if a Mexican buffet is a good idea... I can only see bad things happening if ET opens and everyone is stuffed with SF quality Mexican...

Either way, counting away the days... I still think someone should stand at the bottom of ET and winch us up for the ERT...

* This post was modified at 8/27/13 5:36:58 PM *

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/27/13 6:16:21 PM
antikythera said:

Finally mailed in my registration today for ROTB (I refuse to pay the ~$3 upcharge to book online -- that's my toll money).

I have to wonder if a Mexican buffet is a good idea... I can only see bad things happening if ET opens and everyone is stuffed with SF quality Mexican...

Either way, counting away the days... I still think someone should stand at the bottom of ET and winch us up for the ERT...

I vote for you to winch us up the lift hill :-)

You're cutting it pretty close - the registration must be received by Friday - Hope you mailed it out this morning.

Jen

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/27/13 8:31:00 PM
GoYanks34 said:

antikythera said:

You're cutting it pretty close - the registration must be received by Friday - Hope you mailed it out this morning.

Jen

It said postmarked by the 30th. I hope it gets there in time. :(

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/27/13 8:49:26 PM
antikythera said:

GoYanks34 said:

antikythera said:

Jen

It said postmarked by the 30th. I hope it gets there in time. :(

Oh - good. I thought it said received.

Jen

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/27/13 8:51:15 PM
mugen828 said:

My friend isn't gonna be happy about El Toro...agh!

Also, it's been bothering me for a while now...how the hell do we edit our signatures?

Kyle - I have 2 spots open for guests if you want to go. You have to let me know ASAP because I need to register Mike and Jon and the deadline is Friday. It's $30 per person for a guest.

Jen

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/29/13 10:27:16 PM
Rumor has it El Toro has been spotted testing this afternoon!!!!!

While I would have loved to have the Riding of the King it's only right that he be up and running on his day. :-)

Jen

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 8/30/13 6:53:41 AM
Awesome, please keep us updated!

I'm still planning to head back to Hershey to get some more abuse...rides, I mean rides! on Skyrush, so re-comboing it with SFNJ would be back on tap if they can get El Toro back up.

Michael W.
235: 63 (20 CCI/GG) / 172
Voyage / Eurosat
R.I.P.: Riverside Cyclone...
Re: El Toro may be down for the season by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/30/13 7:07:46 AM
CortexBomb said:

Awesome, please keep us updated!

I'm still planning to head back to Hershey to get some more abuse...rides, I mean rides! on Skyrush, so re-comboing it with SFNJ would be back on tap if they can get El Toro back up.

Going today..will let you know.

Re: El Toro may be down for the season by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/30/13 5:36:49 PM
ET is up and running but KK is down! Expected to be back up Sunday.
Jen
Re: El Toro may be down for the season by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 8/31/13 10:57:58 PM
Thanks for the updates guys, I went to the park today and got rides on it as well as Kingda Ka, which was up for a few hours before closing down again.

Knackered now, but TR to follow soon.

Best,

Michael W.

Michael W.
235: 63 (20 CCI/GG) / 172
Voyage / Eurosat
R.I.P.: Riverside Cyclone...