Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Kings Island's 'The Bat' POV (1981)

Kings Island's 'The Bat' POV (1981)

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
8/14/13 at
5:08:49 PM

Another rare full circuit POV. This time, it's the notorious KI's 'The Bat'.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg-OWKFyp8A

Re: Kings Island's 'The Bat' POV (1981) by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/14/13 6:15:32 PM
You know, I've never really stopped by RCDB to actually see what the Bat looked like. Totally different than what I was thinking in my head.

You can literally hear the thing straining when it goes around those turns. If Arrow was still around, you'd probably see the old engineers cringing at their mistakes.

Good to see a POV got preserved. Definitely put my speculation about how it maneuvered to rest.

BTW, forget my ignorance, but what the heck is that large spider looking thing on the left at 2:23. I'm assuming a Ferris wheel of some sort, but it just looks... odd.

Re: Kings Island's 'The Bat' POV (1981) by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/14/13 6:29:53 PM
^^^I had to look it up. It was an Intamin Zodiac. Like you said, it was a ferris wheel, a very weird double ferris wheel. It was there at KI from 1975 to 1989. Those gondolas look like Tweety bird cages. Weird attraction, LOL

http://matt.meckley.tripod.com/giant_wheel_page1.htm

www.kiextreme.com/history_defunct.php

* This post was modified at 8/14/13 6:57:46 PM *

Re: Kings Island's 'The Bat' POV (1981) by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 8/15/13 8:24:04 PM
Wow, it sure did have some really loud anti-rollbacks - I don't remember BBW ever being that loud, nor any of the other Arrow suspendeds that I have ridden. It also did a good bit more swinging in places than later models; looks like it is almost going to flip in one place.
Re: Kings Island's 'The Bat' POV (1981) by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/16/13 8:20:49 AM
Overbanked said:

^^^I had to look it up. It was an Intamin Zodiac. Like you said, it was a ferris wheel, a very weird double ferris wheel. It was there at KI from 1975 to 1989. Those gondolas look like Tweety bird cages. Weird attraction, LOL

A unique attraction, for sure.
Loved it at Hersheypark.
I have fond memories of riding with the family during the time of our lives where the twins were ready and willing to ride all coasters at parks anywhere, and a ride like that wheel was something my coaster-phobic wife would ride with us.
I was among the disappointed when Hershey decided to remove it.
Mike B.
Re: Kings Island's 'The Bat' POV (1981) by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 8/16/13 10:03:24 AM
Thanks for posting this! It really does seem to "max out" on the lateral swinging. Easy to see why it didn't hold up so well.

I was expecting a bit more, not that i can fully judge from a POV, but the more of these suspended coasters i see and ride, the more I appreciate the big bad wolf. The only one that seems close to it is that Eagles fortress i'm seen a few videos of.

Re: Kings Island's 'The Bat' POV (1981) by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/16/13 8:08:51 PM
HamptonRoadsRider said:
... the more of these suspended coasters i see and ride, the more I appreciate the big bad wolf. The only one that seems close to it is that Eagles fortress i'm seen a few videos of.

BBW was very good... KI Top Gun (Flight Deck) is still a great ride, though it is over with all too quick, primarily due to the absence of a midcourse lift.

Re: Kings Island's 'The Bat' POV (1981) by NotSo NotSo Profile at 8/17/13 1:22:26 AM
I rode the Bat, it was completely out of control in a scary way. The track didn't bank, the cars slammed to the max. Thats how that one car flew off the track..

* This post was modified at 8/17/13 1:28:14 AM *

Re: Kings Island's 'The Bat' POV (1981) by alpengeistno3 at 8/17/13 1:36:40 AM
Schrecken said:

Wow, it sure did have some really loud anti-rollbacks - I don't remember BBW ever being that loud, nor any of the other Arrow suspendeds that I have ridden. It also did a good bit more swinging in places than later models; looks like it is almost going to flip in one place.

You may be waxing on the nostalgic side, Lee. When wolf opened, it did have quieter anti rollbacks that acted like the flaps on the log flume boats. Busch replaced those somewhere in the earlier 2000's with the typical Arrow rollback strip and here is the sound that you got.

Very similar to the sound you hear in the Bat video and much noisier than the old ones.

I don't know how many are aware, but the biggest reason the Bat failed was that the brake fins are on the bottom of the trains, rather than in the track. It is the reason for the slam on the 2nd lift (no brakes to stop the train, so they just allowed the anti rollbacks to stop it so the train would center for the rest of the trip up the lift.) You can see the brake calipers on the approach to the station, but I have heard misalignment between the fins and the calipers was a constant issue.