Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > TR: Skyrush

TR: Skyrush

CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile

Posted:
8/10/13 at
9:44:43 AM

Dear god, Skyrush.

This isn't going to be a complete TR, I did one of those way back when I first went to Hershey in 2001 (though those archives have long since been purged from URC) but I have to give a few thoughts on Skyrush.

Am I the only one who sees this thing as the true modern day descendent of the Crystal Beach Cyclone? I read initial impressions from people about it and largely poo-poohed them as early rider hype and hyperbole. "No hands up?" "Afraid?"

I have seen the steel demon and its designer is Werner Stengel. The way this coaster twists and assaults your body is like nothing else I've ever been on. And negative G's! It makes Bizarro style airtime look tame, tame...

Downside: I did not respect this ride enough and tried to ride it back right wing hands up without knowing any of the layout and the bastard buckled me horizontally on the first turn which has severely strained my back and shortened a trip where I was intending to visit SF New Jersey for the first time to finally get El Toro rides in.

Even after the initial ride on Skyrush I still got back on it 5-6 more times (as my back hadn't fully tightened up yet and because I was foolish) and can safely say it's my favourite steel roller coaster.

I can also safely say that it will probably be the last thing Intamin designs that is nearly this ambitious, as the thing is only a year old and was a 3 train wait for any seat other than the front on a pretty busy day in the park. I think this ride has finally passed the famous Toomer bar of what people will get on.

What a ride though!

Michael W.

Re: TR: Skyrush by drachen drachen Profile at 8/10/13 11:04:08 AM
I'm glad you liked it. There's a lot to love about Skyrush. For me, there's enough to dislike about it to not rate it so highly.

It's a very mean, intense ride - probably more than Hersheypark bargained for, as they go for more of a 'family' than 'thrill' atmosphere.

But that's all ok with people like us that enjoy that sort of thing.

I maintain that if the Intamin can somehow re-design the restraints, with seats that help keep you upright, the park would have the ride they were looking for.

As you said, people just aren't riding. It's one of those coasters that people ride in the morning, but decide once was enough. It may be accurate to say that 10% of Skyrush riders ride again on the same visit.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: TR: Skyrush by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 8/10/13 11:18:50 AM
I was talking with my ride partner about this yesterday and I honestly think the easiest way to make it more rideable would be to just put standard Intamin looping trains on it and call it good.

I say this because after riding it in all 4 back seats, I definitely noticed that the centre ones were, for obvious reasons, significantly less violent on the lateral transitions. The looping trains also contour more to your body and the OTSRs give you something to stabilize your upper body with.

I started watching trains coming back, and amongst the GP it also seemed like people in the centre seats were more likely to look like they'd enjoyed it, whereas wing riders were more often sitting in seeming shell shock.

I know the standard 2 wide trains would murder its capacity, but I have to think that the extra support and slightly more gentle ride would mean that it would actually generate re-rides and lines.

All I know is that if they don't end up finding a solution this could easily end up being one of the rides that has a very abbreviated life span (ala: Bat at King's Island, Steel Phantom at Kennywood, &c.) because I can't imagine Hershey is happy to have their marquee ride with such short lines.

Michael W.

Re: TR: Skyrush by drachen drachen Profile at 8/10/13 11:35:40 AM
CortexBomb said:

All I know is that if they don't end up finding a solution this could easily end up being one of the rides that has a very abbreviated life span (ala: Bat at King's Island, Steel Phantom at Kennywood, &c.) because I can't imagine Hershey is happy to have their marquee ride with such short lines.

I don't know if Skyrush will go that way so quickly. Hersheypark has some options to improve the ride. I really think it's just a restraint issue.

But I agree 100% that Hershey isn't happy that people generally don't like their $25 million investment.

Here's my solution...

I don't necessarily mean to bring B&M in to make trains, but they should keep that in the back of their minds.

The B&M designed, as Paul (alpengeistno3) has stated, actually accounts for the rider to occupy the seat when closed. Intamin's design does not, resulting in a restraint that fits no one well.

Intamin can do the redesign. If the vertical blue restraint bars (wrapped in this photo) were shortened by only 2-4 inches, they lap restraint would contact the riders' waists, not the legs.

The B&M design actually has sides to the seats, which I think is what Skyrush needs as well.

If Intamin can do those two things for Hersheypark, Skyrush becomes more rideable. They should do it quickly too - before the ride gets too much of a bad reputation with the general public.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: TR: Skyrush by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 8/10/13 6:31:38 PM
To be honest the least of my own concerns with the ride is where the restraints rest. I'm of average height and build (6 feet tall, 165-170#s), but I carry most of my excess weight in my thighs. I found the airtime on Skyrush completely comfortable and had zero issues with it. The bar does tighten as the ride goes, but, personally, I prefer a pretty form fitting restraint when it's the only thing standing between me and -5G induced death.

I understand what you're saying about having more natural space when the lapbar is closed, but on the other hand, I don't think I would want to see what would happen if someone of very slight build rode the thing with any gap present because the negative forces are so extreme. B&M speedcoasters have air, but I've not ridden any that have the violent air that Skyrush does on several of its hills.

What I do most definitely agree with is that there needs to be more side support in some way, shape, or form. The speedcoaster trains are something at least, but I'd actually prefer a larger, more form fitting type chair like you see on the Strata coasters that you actually sink into. I know it would take away from the sense of freedom on the ride, but it would also help hold you in an upright position, and on a ride with these types of forces, I think that is actually a flat out necessity.

Regards,

Michael W.

Re: TR: Skyrush by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 8/11/13 11:10:17 PM
If it were up to me I wouldn't change a thing with this ride, this is the second coaster that I've ridden that I absolutely love and I always come back for more (the first being El Toro).

Skyrush is the reason I bought a season pass to Hershey, the other roller coasters are nice but Skyrush to me is just plain awesome, especially at night.

Re: TR: Skyrush by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/12/13 10:32:17 AM
hersheyworker said:

If it were up to me I wouldn't change a thing with this ride, this is the second coaster that I've ridden that I absolutely love and I always come back for more (the first being El Toro).

Skyrush is the reason I bought a season pass to Hershey, the other roller coasters are nice but Skyrush to me is just plain awesome, especially at night.

The problem is that Skyrush only caters to a select few and not exactly the demographic that Hershey targets. I think changes are inevitable in order to increase ridership. I can almost guarantee that after a few years Skyrush will have a very short wait compared with the other coasters in the park (it is already starting to happen) and Hershey will have to address the problems with the general public not wanting to ride or re-ride it. It's way too intense/uncomfortable to ride for most people.

Jen

Re: TR: Skyrush by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 8/12/13 10:36:50 AM
Regarding the short lines, we went on a friday this year and the line was probably second longest behind Fahrenheit. Certainly seemed popular while i was there. Unfortunately, we didn't get to ride as our fast pass was scheduled while it was raining, and it never re-opened once it started raining. Apparently that ride closes at first drop of rain. We were bummed! Skyrush was actually the line that made us decide to get the fast pass!
Re: TR: Skyrush by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/12/13 11:08:04 AM
HamptonRoadsRider said:

Regarding the short lines, we went on a friday this year and the line was probably second longest behind Fahrenheit. Certainly seemed popular while i was there. Unfortunately, we didn't get to ride as our fast pass was scheduled while it was raining, and it never re-opened once it started raining. Apparently that ride closes at first drop of rain. We were bummed! Skyrush was actually the line that made us decide to get the fast pass!

I said it's starting to happen. The novelty is starting to wear off. Varies day to day right now. When we went the lines for Comet and Great Bear were much longer than Skyrush.

Jen

Re: TR: Skyrush by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 8/12/13 5:34:22 PM
I loved the ride, as noted above, but as I mentioned then, 3 trains for anywhere but the front? On a busy Friday? For the premier ride in the park that was built last year?

I'm a big fan of the force and power that the ride has, but I think something is inevitably going to be done to try and increase ridership. For my money, finding a way to make the trains support one's body more would probably be the best way to keep the ride's intensity and fun while still making it more rideable.

They can't change the initial hard right turn without completely altering the first drop. I guess they could trim the hell out of it, but I don't think they want to take away from its speed and power. The next most obvious thing is a more supportive restraint / seat combo.

Shrug,

Michael W.

Re: TR: Skyrush by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/12/13 5:49:00 PM
CortexBomb said:

I loved the ride, as noted above, but as I mentioned then, 3 trains for anywhere but the front? On a busy Friday? For the premier ride in the park that was built last year?

I'm a big fan of the force and power that the ride has, but I think something is inevitably going to be done to try and increase ridership. For my money, finding a way to make the trains support one's body more would probably be the best way to keep the ride's intensity and fun while still making it more rideable.

They can't change the initial hard right turn without completely altering the first drop. I guess they could trim the hell out of it, but I don't think they want to take away from its speed and power. The next most obvious thing is a more supportive restraint / seat combo.

Shrug,

Michael W.

I agree 100%. I had the same thing happen to me that happened to you. The first ride I ever had I was in the back hands in the air on the wing and my back snapped after the first drop. I had pain and spasms for weeks after. Now after learning my lesson I have somewhat learned how to ride it - at least without excruciating pain but no one should have to exert that much effort to enjoy a coaster IMO.

Here's the TR from 2012: http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/roller-coasters-theme-parks/221754

And the one from this year:
http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/roller-coasters-theme-parks/227053

Jen

Re: TR: Skyrush by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 8/14/13 1:35:35 AM
I don't know about the Crystal Beach Cyclone (IMO I have always thought that the Voyage at Holiday World is the closest modern day analog to that infamous ride, and yet another family-friendly small park harboring a fearsome monster of a coaster), but I concur that Skyrush is utterly mind-blowing in so many ways.

I don't have a negative view of it because I had heard about the early reviews and I approached it with due caution. Having back problems, it is an absolute necessity for me to scope out potentially problematic coasters before I ride (for instance, I always ride any woodie in the front seat the first time in case it is really rough, like Wildcat at HP). I played it safe and took my first ride in one of the front center seats, and then I tried a front wing seat, and finally worked my way back to the very back center (but not the wing seats, at least not yet).

But of course the GP generally don't bother to do that, and don't realize the difference in the wing seats compared to the center seats (of course, HP wouldn't be the only park to have a coaster that few want to ride again - look at KD with Hurler and Shockwave). I wouldn't mind if they eventually did come up with different seats and restraints, but I hope to heck that they never end up killing the spirit of the ride and turning it into something mediocre. I'd like to be able to ride in the back wing seats (and not mess up my back), but I love the rest of the ride just the way it is and would hate to see it neutered. I don't have a problem with the restraints as they are (but apparently some people do), and I rode 10 times in a day and didn't have a single bruise on my legs (in contrast, I rode something on my recent mid-west trip that DID leave lap bar bruises on my legs).
Also, I think that because the park's other coasters are so mild, the intensity of Skyrush is heightened even more, especially for the GP. It is "out of character" with the rest of the coasters in that regard.
But as I said, I truly hope they don't alter it too much because I'm just crazy about this coaster and I can't wait to ride it again this fall. I've never gone so nuts over a coaster since I set foot on Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster almost a decade ago, and Skyrush tops those. Heck, I keep dreaming about the darned thing - I have coaster dreams ever so often but never have I dreamed about one coaster so often.

Re: TR: Skyrush by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 8/14/13 6:49:01 AM
I'd always thought of Voyage as the closest analog to the Cyclone before as well, but to me Skyrush is a much closer comparison.

The reason being that Voyage, while wild, is still a very popular attraction at Holiday World and one that people tend to get off with bright faces and laughs even if it was boarded with trepidation.

Skyrush flattens people. It creates vacant stares on the brake run. It is much more intense than it appears from the ground. It absolutely requires defensive riding for self-preservation.

I've never ridden Voyage anything other than hands up. That's true for any coaster without OTSR since, I don't know, the mid-90s when I was still a kid. Sitting here today, with my back finally healing into some semblance of normal from last Friday, I can tell you that I'll never feel comfortable putting my hands up on the first drop / turn combo on Skyrush, and I'll be leery of doing it later in the course.

It's a ride that demands respect unlike anything else that I've been on. You respect it, or it bends your back sideways and sends you home early. I, in a sort of strange way, admire that, because it says something to me. It says something about what I actually expect in terms of violence and intensity in rides, and it tells me how much further out that ride is from the rest of the pack in sheer force and power. It tells me how much modern engineering has eliminated the truly back twisting, abusive transitions that the Traver Terrors were infamous for. For whatever reason, Skyrush has all of that, and that's why I think it's the closest modern comparison.

I don't think this is just because of Hershey itself. I'm decently seasoned. I've been out of the enthusiast community for a handful of years, but in the past couple of months I've been on some decently zippy rides: Ravine Flyer II, Bizarro @ SFNE, &c. Skyrush, objectively, is the most powerful, forceful ride I've ever been on, even in comparison to my favourite ride, Voyage, and I actually don't think it's particularly close. I don't think it's a better ride than Voyage, I love Voyage's length, setting, pacing, and some of the crazy elements it has. But Skyrush is pretty safely sitting at #2 in my overall favourites now, and I think the highest my favourite steel would have gone prior to this is maybe #5? It's simply in a class by itself.

Best,

Michael W.

* This post was modified at 8/14/13 6:50:52 AM *

Re: TR: Skyrush by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/14/13 4:53:53 PM
So Michael W, Is Voyage your number 1 also?? If you love skyrush and Voyage,I think our taste in coasters may be similar!!
Re: TR: Skyrush by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 8/14/13 5:30:54 PM
Oh yes, I've had Voyage as my #1 since I rode it at Holiwood Nights the opening year, and it was only displacing Legend, which is, I think, still my #2. I need to go back to HW though as I haven't been there since HWN 2007. (Again, lapsed enthusiast talking here; I've been spending all of my money on hockey tickets).

My top 10 wood, right now, is, I think:

The Voyage / Holiday World
The Legend / Holiday World
Tonnerre de Zeus / Parc Asterix
Ravine Flyer II / Waldameer
Riverside Cyclone / SF New England
Lost Coaster of SM / Indiana Beach
Phoenix / Knoebel's
Boulder Dash / Lake Compounce
Comet / Great Escape
The Boss / Six Flags St Louis

Dunno on Boss and Lost Coaster anymore though, haven't ridden either in far too long and I hear IB is not keeping its rides up well anymore. Hades probably should be on there somewhere, but I criminally over-rated it initially and brought it back down until I can get back up there.

Top 10 steel is something like:

Skyrush / Hershey
EuroSat / Europa
Bizarro / Six Flags New England
Expedition GeForce / Holiday Park
Phantom's Revenge / Kennywood
Magnum XL-200 / Cedar Point (sentimental)
Superman: ROS / Darien Lake
Goliath / Walibi World
Raging Bull / Six Flags Chicago
Montu / Busch Gardens Tampa

Steel is much less solid though, and there are many more rides that I need to get on that will probably easily make this list: i305, possibly the Texas wood retracks, likely Goliath at Magic Mountain. The thing is that I travel more for wood than steel. The only woodies I really need to get on that are obvious are Tremors in Idaho and El Toro, maybe, maybe Balder depending on how El Toro strikes me.

Best,

Michael

Re: TR: Skyrush by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/14/13 8:25:00 PM
Well if you like the intense coasters,than I-305 is a must ride!! This is my #1 steel. Skyrush passed Millennium Force this year to take the 2nd spot on my steel list. I was in Texas this year and I got to go on The Texas Giant and Iron Rattler. I think both of those coasters were fun but baby ass smooth!! Neither would make a top ten for me. They just glided along the track like you were just floating. I like the feel of a wooden coaster so baby ass smooth does not work for me. I can't believe The Texas Giant landed 3rd on the Mitch Hawker Poll!! Highly over rated for me.
Re: TR: Skyrush by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 8/15/13 12:41:13 AM
CortexBomb said:

I'd always thought of Voyage as the closest analog to the Cyclone before as well, but to me Skyrush is a much closer comparison.

The reason being that Voyage, while wild, is still a very popular attraction at Holiday World and one that people tend to get off with bright faces and laughs even if it was boarded with trepidation.

Skyrush flattens people. It creates vacant stares on the brake run. It is much more intense than it appears from the ground. It absolutely requires defensive riding for self-preservation.

I've never ridden Voyage anything other than hands up. That's true for any coaster without OTSR since, I don't know, the mid-90s when I was still a kid. Sitting here today, with my back finally healing into some semblance of normal from last Friday, I can tell you that I'll never feel comfortable putting my hands up on the first drop / turn combo on Skyrush, and I'll be leery of doing it later in the course.

It's a ride that demands respect unlike anything else that I've been on. You respect it, or it bends your back sideways and sends you home early. I, in a sort of strange way, admire that, because it says something to me. It says something about what I actually expect in terms of violence and intensity in rides, and it tells me how much further out that ride is from the rest of the pack in sheer force and power. It tells me how much modern engineering has eliminated the truly back twisting, abusive transitions that the Traver Terrors were infamous for. For whatever reason, Skyrush has all of that, and that's why I think it's the closest modern comparison.

I don't think this is just because of Hershey itself. I'm decently seasoned. I've been out of the enthusiast community for a handful of years, but in the past couple of months I've been on some decently zippy rides: Ravine Flyer II, Bizarro @ SFNE, &c. Skyrush, objectively, is the most powerful, forceful ride I've ever been on, even in comparison to my favourite ride, Voyage, and I actually don't think it's particularly close. I don't think it's a better ride than Voyage, I love Voyage's length, setting, pacing, and some of the crazy elements it has. But Skyrush is pretty safely sitting at #2 in my overall favourites now, and I think the highest my favourite steel would have gone prior to this is maybe #5? It's simply in a class by itself.

Best,

Michael W.

I was going to ask you when it was that you rode the Voyage but I see from your other post it was around the same time I had my first ride on it. But as for me I am unable (and have never been able) to ride Voyage with my hands up all the way. I can do it in some places (like the first and 2nd hills/drops, the triple down and a couple other places) but not in any of the areas with the sharp turns and banks. I've been to HW at least three times and have never felt comfortable riding it hands-up all the way, as I was afraid I'd have the same problem you had on Skyrush. Also, when I got ERT on Voyage (thru an ACE event) I was never able to ride more than maybe 3-4 times in a row without a good break. Not only that, I can't ride further back than the first car of the 2nd row. You couldn't pay me to ride the back seat on Voyage, even though it is in my top 5 woodie list (at least based on the last time I rode it).
But of course it's not always easy to compare woodies to steelies, especially since many woodies (Voyage included, at least in a couple of places the last time I rode it) have other forces that can cause pain and discomfort, like jittering, shuffling and jack-hammering, that are often not present on steel coasters. But on some steel coasters where some of the seats sit outside of the width of the track you can also get some unpleasant jittering and roughness.
I guess on Skyrush it does make a huge difference where you sit and also where you take your very first ride. Pity those who take their first ride on Skyrush in one of the back wing seats, as apparently they are getting a really brutal introduction to what is, IMO, one of the most incredible coasters I've ever ridden. I've never ridden in any but the front wing seats (and probably won't, unless it's my last ride of the season, that way, if it screws me up I'm done for the year anyway) so I can only image what it's like back there. I got some vertical jittering in the front wing seats that didn't feel good on my back, but it wasn't unbearable.
I also agree with you on how riders have no warning based on how Skyrush looks (where as with Voyage, they can see the extreme banking and can at least get an idea that it means business. For me it was the steel structure of the ride, along with the severe banking, that caused me to be sure to take my first ride in the very front seat to play it safe. Skyrush looks like a run of the mill 200 odd ft steel hyper dressed up in colors that would go well in a little boy's bedroom, and it doesn't even have any inversions. That's probably another thing I love about it - it's so very deceptive!

Re: TR: Skyrush by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 8/15/13 8:08:51 AM
@Chitlins73

I generally have different expectations for wood versus steel in terms of power, air, and general ride. Based on what I've heard, the Texas re-tracks might be good enough to rank for me, so I think I'll still have them on my "need to ride soon" list. i305 is at the top of that though, and I am planning on getting there within the next 12 months.

@Schrecken

I dunno, I love Voyage and find it powerful, but I've not had any serious issues riding it hands up. When I first rode it in 2006 I'd spent the entire off-season avoiding pictures of the complete layout and I specifically waited until it was pitch dark out and took my first ride in the back seat...which is, I think, the only place I've ridden it.

I had some stiffness in my body after that event because I, obviously, wasn't able to brace myself for the transitions under those conditions, but I've never had any desire to ride anywhere else in the train, and I've never had any real concerns about riding it hands up.

Granted, I'm something of a hands up puritan. I know many people aren't, that's one of the reasons I took Skyrush a bit too lightly, because I've generally not had any problems on rides that many people claim to not enjoy in the back, or with their hands up on, &c.

The thing to me with Skyrush is that I think it's a ride that can be ridden with one's hands up, if one knows the layout and knows when to grab the bar and brace for impact. I made the mistake of not knowing the layout, and not bracing myself at all. My normal ride style is very relaxed, I don't hold my core very stiff at all, I just let the ride pull me around. On rides like Voyage, with the high-sided PTC cars, this isn't a problem, the car holds you upright. On Skyrush that obviously isn't going to happen, ergo, sideways back, week of pain pills and all of that.

Best,

Michael W.

Re: TR: Skyrush by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/15/13 3:57:55 PM
Michael.....are you on facebook?
Re: TR: Skyrush by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/15/13 4:23:30 PM
chitlins73 said:

Are you guys going to be FB friends so you can get a discount on therapy sessions? Skyrush #1 steel?! You both need help, LOL! :-P

Jen

Re: TR: Skyrush by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/15/13 5:29:58 PM
Skyrush is #2....lol

I-305 is #1

Skyrush was so great this year that I bumped it past MF.

Re: TR: Skyrush by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 8/16/13 8:16:35 AM
chitlins73 said:

I am, but, nothing personal at all, I heavily screen the people on my friends list and keep it to only people who I regularly associate with in real life.

Warm regards,

Michael

Re: TR: Skyrush by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/16/13 4:54:02 PM
I have met quite a few people on here and have made it a real life association...lol

I just like to meet people who have similar interests as myself. Don't worry...I am a normal guy for the most part...lol. I have a great girlfriend who I travel the country with and explore all these great parks out there. Feel free to check out my pics on facebook sometime and maybe say hi. My name is Dion Bender. I am very particular who my facebook friends are also. After I find someone to be annoying,then I get rid of them...lol