Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Banshee Announced!!!

Banshee Announced!!!

HatTrick

Posted:
8/8/13 at
10:27:19 PM

details here www.visitkingsisland.com/banshee

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/8/13 10:28:46 PM
I have to say I wasn't too sure about another invert but it looks pretty damn sexy. I actually have more excitement for this than I ever did for Gatekeeper.
Re: Banshee Announced!!! by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 8/8/13 10:56:39 PM
It does look very nice. "Longest" is always a good record in my book. The "moumtain spirit dethroned" rumour proved correct. Also, someone mentioned seeing blue and purple track...sounded suspect to me, but sure enough!
Re: Banshee Announced!!! by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/8/13 11:05:18 PM
It looks like it is gonna be a really fun coaster but I was actually expecting something a little more groundbreaking. I was liking some of the rumors going around better than what I see. Underground elements with launches would have made this really special. So this is the fastest invert?? I thought Alpengeist was 68mph or more???
Re: Banshee Announced!!! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/8/13 11:06:05 PM
Here's the POV

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM7SJctRFMY

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/8/13 11:10:34 PM
chitlins73 said:

I thought Alpengeist was 68mph or more???

According to rcdb.com, Alpengeist is 67MPH.

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by alpengeistno3 at 8/8/13 11:11:15 PM
Anyone else finding this ride annoying short? No mid course is a nice change of pace, but means that it is probably only going to run 2 trains.

Paul

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 8/8/13 11:14:24 PM
I didnt see the height of drop. Im guessing not higher than alpie or it would be in bold somewhere

The ride does make perfect sense given the troubles with SOB. Go with the sure thing.

Thanks for the POV!

* This post was modified at 8/8/13 11:15:26 PM *

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/8/13 11:24:41 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Anyone else finding this ride annoying short? No mid course is a nice change of pace, but means that it is probably only going to run 2 trains.

Paul

That station/brake run looks pretty lengthy. I'm hoping that it's long enough to squeeze in a third train.

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/8/13 11:32:00 PM
HamptonRoadsRider said:

I didnt see the height of drop. Im guessing not higher than alpie or it would be in bold somewhere

Yeah, I'm very curious on what's Banshee's height is. It seem like it'll be somewhere between that 190 to 200 ft number.

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/8/13 11:42:20 PM
Height: 167 ft
Drop: 150 ft

http://rcdb.com/6640.htm

I thought I heard the guy who announced the ride say something about 205 ft but it was hard to hear over the crowd screaming at the top of their lungs.

* This post was modified at 8/8/13 11:43:26 PM *

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by alpengeistno3 at 8/9/13 12:04:34 AM
That will be one long block for 3 train operation. Sounds like there will be a lot of stacking.

The 205 was the total elevation change, from the top of lift to the bottom of the batwing, which is in a ravine, much like Adventure Express.

Paul

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/9/13 12:27:14 AM
antikythera said:

I thought I heard the guy who announced the ride say something about 205 ft but it was hard to hear over the crowd screaming at the top of their lungs.

Dang, I was way off with the drop height. A 170 ft drop (Alpie) is near the same speed, or maybe even slower than a 150 ft drop (Banshee) go figure.

Then I thought maybe the difference was in first drop troughs, and that will bring an explanation, but I still can't figure why is Banshee so near Alpie's speed.

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 8/9/13 12:35:19 AM
The wikipedia page is already quite lengthy and cull of info..good briefing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banshee_(roller_coaster)

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/9/13 12:40:58 AM
HamptonRoadsRider said:

The wikipedia page is already quite lengthy and cull of info..good briefing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banshee_%28roller_coaster%29

Fixed it. Okay, So Banshee will reach it's top speed midway through the layout, cool. Thanks for the info HRR.

* This post was modified at 8/9/13 12:47:40 AM *

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by alpengeistno3 at 8/9/13 12:48:36 AM
Alpengeist uses polyurethane wheels, instead of nylon. Busch's means of cutting down on the noise before B&M started filling the rails. The extra height was to allow the ride to make it back up to the block brake and back to the station with the softer wheels.

It is to be assumed that Banshee will use standard nylon wheels, hence the speed similarities despite the height difference.

Paul

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/9/13 12:54:02 AM
^^^Thanks for the info. That, plus Banshee's pretty rare top terrain speed midway thru the course explains everything.

* This post was modified at 8/9/13 12:55:29 AM *

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/9/13 6:30:34 AM
Hey Paul......they are expecting the capacity to be 1650 an hour.
Re: Banshee Announced!!! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/9/13 7:58:40 AM
That logo is second to none!
Re: Banshee Announced!!! by Coaster316 at 8/9/13 8:45:08 AM
I think the ride looks like a lot of fun. I'm not great at visualizing what the ride will really be like (even with POV), but this just seems like a fun pace to it.

I hope its very successful for the park.

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/9/13 9:25:17 AM
Funny that KI - which never had anything to do with B&M, will not just have two, but two KILLER Beemers. I hope Banshee is at least as good as Montu.
Re: Banshee Announced!!! by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 8/9/13 9:48:13 AM
Overbanked said:

Fixed it. Okay, So Banshee will reach it's top speed midway through the layout, cool. Thanks for the info HRR.

Thank you sir for the fix. That does sound cool with the top speed being halfway through. Seems to indicate a pretty intense ride from start to finish - kinda how i remember the Nemesis being (18 years ago, a bit fuzzy) - not that this looks much like the nemesis in layout or anything.

Did anyone else notice that barrel roll towards the end looked unusual? Kinda long and drawn out, moreso than i've seen on other coasters.

That POV is great, dig the audio!

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/9/13 10:01:16 AM
Very happy about this announcement!! :-)

Jen

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/9/13 10:09:34 AM
I think this thing will really shine during Haunt 2014.

Think about riding this bad boy at night with fog an d a full moon.

* This post was modified at 8/9/13 10:11:49 AM *

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/9/13 10:44:58 AM
RobLec said:

Funny that KI - which never had anything to do with B&M, will not just have two, but two KILLER Beemers. I hope Banshee is at least as good as Montu.

Paramount couldn't build B&Ms at KI due to a Exclusivity Clause with CP and Six Flags. Something about a park within 200 miles not being able to purchase one for five years. B&M has a five coaster per year build limit anyway so if your not in, YOUR OUT!

Rob, I was hoping it would match Montu and it does so Im pretty happy.

Ya know the whole Being older less enthused thingy. I liked the presentation but wasn't one of the hoot and hollering people. I was just happy to see several friends I haven't seen since SOB closed.

Great overall ride and that's exactly what they needed.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Banshee Announced!!! by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 8/9/13 11:27:16 AM
Considering it's called Banshee, I really hope that they don't quiet the rails. This is a coaster that needs to be loud!
Re: Banshee Announced!!! by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/9/13 11:40:56 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

Paul

How So? Its bigger than Montu or Alpie

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Banshee Announced!!! by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/9/13 11:42:38 AM
antikythera said:

208ft from top of lift to bottom of batwing which is also the fastest part.

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/9/13 11:44:23 AM
Overbanked said:

antikythera said:

Dang, I was way off with the drop height. A 170 ft drop (Alpie) is near the same speed, or maybe even slower than a 150 ft drop (Banshee) go figure.

Then I thought maybe the difference was in first drop troughs, and that will bring an explanation, but I still can't figure why is Banshee so near Alpie's speed.

Because Banshee's top speed is at the bottom of the Batwing. Not bottom of first drop.

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by gvlaker27 gvlaker27 Profile at 8/9/13 12:08:02 PM
It's amazing that CP's Raptor cost merely half of Banshee's total investment nearly 20 years ago!
(Although, is it really the biggest investment in KI history following the SOB turmoil, RIP)

And to touch on the 5 year B&M rule, stating only one coaster in years. I'd never heard that before, I'm assuming it's a recent rule considering CP received Raptor and Mantis only 2 years apart.

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by gvlaker27 gvlaker27 Profile at 8/9/13 12:08:37 PM
It's amazing that CP's Raptor cost merely half of Banshee's total investment nearly 20 years ago!
(Although, is it really the biggest investment in KI history following the SOB turmoil, RIP)

And to touch on the 5 year B&M rule, stating only one coaster in years. I'd never heard that before, I'm assuming it's a recent rule considering CP received Raptor and Mantis only 2 years apart.

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 8/9/13 12:12:10 PM
A super sweet looking ride.

Regards,
Kevin Reid

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by JeffyJosephNCali at 8/9/13 2:49:24 PM
Looks awesome. I like the color scheme, themed station and the layout, especially the nighttime pov with all the fog, great job KI & CF!
Re: Banshee Announced!!! by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/9/13 3:44:48 PM
gvlaker27 said:

Well $~$12 mil in 1990s, you have to adjust for inflation as well.
I guess it kinda makes sense about spacing things apart if b&m is getting more orders from parks across the world. I guess one park can't take all the focus. :shrugs:

As for this ride, i'm happy about the batwing (i never liked the cobra roll on inverts) and the wrap around the lift hill. They took stuff from my other favs with montu and kumba. The ride is gonna be great. Though i would've liked them to go further with a 200' lift hill, that would've been a better record to break. But still i applaud ki for putting a great ride in place of sob.

Also nice of them to actually use the name banshee given how they scrapped it the first time and steel force at dorney recycled the image.

* This post was modified at 8/9/13 3:50:10 PM *

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/9/13 5:59:08 PM
Rollercoaster_freak220 said:

Considering it's called Banshee, I really hope that they don't quiet the rails. This is a coaster that needs to be loud!

As it is, KI has to limit noise levels at night because of nearby houses. I've been to ERT at KI and they had to shut down Diamondback at midnight because of the B&M roar... but Beast remained open for another hour later.

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by alpengeistno3 at 8/9/13 7:15:43 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

alpengeistno3 said:

Paul

Well, I guess my initial assessment was wrong. They are going to run 3. Still, the length of the ride has nothing to do with it. If the lift is only 167 feet and the train can clear it before the previous train reaches and clears the final brake run, there will always be 2 trains on the brake run.

To run 3 trains, I presume the lift will be slow enough for the train to not reach the top before the block is clear and the brake run will be slow enough to keep the train moving for a long time (hence the 3 minute ride time they are predicting). As long as they keep 4 solid ops on platform, the ride is short enough to reach that 1600 number they are predicting, but I think it will be closer to 1300-1400 in actual practice.

Paul

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/9/13 7:20:56 PM
gvlaker27 said:

Thats not what the rule was. Say CP built Raptor. Another park couldn't build a B&M within 200 miles of CP so in effect CP cornered the market in Ohio.

Yes Geuaga got BM:TR later Dominator but that coaster was origionally to go to SFKK as well as Villain and S:TE.

You'll notice Knotts has no B&Ms due to SFMM cornering the Market at the time.

Like I said, B&M limits themselves to only having about 4-5 projects per year as they are very involved in ON SITE QC

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/9/13 7:25:23 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

CoasterFanatic said:

alpengeistno3 said:

Paul

Well, I guess my initial assessment was wrong. They are going to run 3. Still, the length of the ride has nothing to do with it. If the lift is only 167 feet and the train can clear it before the previous train reaches and clears the final brake run, there will always be 2 trains on the brake run.

To run 3 trains, I presume the lift will be slow enough for the train to not reach the top before the block is clear and the brake run will be slow enough to keep the train moving for a long time (hence the 3 minute ride time they are predicting). As long as they keep 4 solid ops on platform, the ride is short enough to reach that 1600 number they are predicting, but I think it will be closer to 1300-1400 in actual practice.

Paul

Theres room for at least four trains in that brake and station area, That first block should always be clear. My guess is they send the train to the lift. The lift decides if its clear or not. Beast does this and many other coasters speed and slow to what the computer says is blocking.

Like you said, Good ops,

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/9/13 7:29:48 PM
RobLec said:

Rollercoaster_freak220 said:

As it is, KI has to limit noise levels at night because of nearby houses. I've been to ERT at KI and they had to shut down Diamondback at midnight because of the B&M roar... but Beast remained open for another hour later.

Living only a mile behind the park, I can attest to Diamondback being noisy but its worse in early spring, late fall when leaves aren't on the trees. Theres houses right behind the waterpark over there and they are much closer than I am.

The best thing CF could do if they aren't going to deaden the noise is to plant tons of Pine trees in the low areas of the ride.

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/9/13 8:19:38 PM
CoasterFanatic said:
Like I said, B&M limits themselves to only having about 4-5 projects per year as they are very involved in ON SITE QC

We are all very fortunate that IOA managed to get two (or three, depending how you count) great Beemers at one time... especially considering the uniqueness of those rides. Raptor was pretty much cookie cutter... which Kinzel himself described as "just like Batman only bigger".

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/9/13 8:38:33 PM
RobLec said:

CoasterFanatic said:

We are all very fortunate that IOA managed to get two (or three, depending how you count) great Beemers at one time... especially considering the uniqueness of those rides. Raptor was pretty much cookie cutter... which Kinzel himself described as "just like Batman only bigger".

I imagine Universal also paid better. :)

* This post was modified at 8/9/13 8:38:46 PM *

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/9/13 9:36:54 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

Yes they do - Knotts has Silver Bullet

Jen

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/9/13 10:25:50 PM
GoYanks34 said:

CoasterFanatic said:

Jen

True but I think Exclusivity Clauses were either not filed by SFMM after Riddler or CF found a way around it. Not sure if they even exist anymore.

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/9/13 10:28:31 PM
GoYanks34 said:

CoasterFanatic said:

Jen

True but I think Exclusivity Clauses were either not filed by SFMM after Riddler or CF found a way around it. Not sure if they even exist anymore. Also I think CF at some point made a five coaster purchase from B&M which included Talon, Hydra, Patriot and Silver Bullet. We may be in the mist of another multi coaster purchase with the two at CW. Banshee, Gatekeeper.

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/9/13 10:40:42 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

GoYanks34 said:

CoasterFanatic said:

Jen

True but I think Exclusivity Clauses were either not filed by SFMM after Riddler or CF found a way around it. Not sure if they even exist anymore. Also I think CF at some point made a five coaster purchase from B&M which included Talon, Hydra, Patriot and Silver Bullet. We may be in the mist of another multi coaster purchase with the two at CW. Banshee, Gatekeeper.

I know nothing about exclusivity clauses. You said Knotts had no B&Ms and I know I rode one there last year. That's all I got. :-)

Jen

Re: Banshee Announced!!! by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 8/9/13 11:17:10 PM
Anyone else think the Banshee scream they use in the videos sounds a heck of a lot like an Intamin impulse launch?
Re: Banshee Announced!!! by drachen drachen Profile at 8/10/13 11:20:56 AM
I'm not sure what to think when I hear the "multiple coaster contract" stuff. I don't know if it's real or if it's just enthusiast talk.

To me, while I may get a deal on buying more than one coaster in a short period of time, I see a couple of potential problems with that...

In these corporate structures, capital dollars are distributed by the center hub. But what the parks actually get is based on their needs and performance. Why would a corporation basically lock-in to giving a small, under-performing park a multi-million dollar ride?

Most parks do the shopping themselves, meaning they bring in the coaster firms to bid the rides out. Parks typically take several bids on each job - they'd be foolish not to. GM's have a lot of say in what comes in.

From the designer side, if they are limited in how many projects they can do on a yearly basis, why would they limit themselves by locking into a multi-coaster package years in advance? What if a larger, more lucrative project comes along?

Then again, there is nothing standard about this industry's business practices. Parks can purchase however they want, and find new ways to do business...

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur