Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride...

El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride...

antikythera antikythera Profile

Posted:
8/5/13 at
11:12:07 PM

I didn't know what to expect or to even believe the hype, but damn...

I had plans to go Sunday and Monday, getting there at opening each day to ride some of the more popular attractions, take in the atmosphere by relaxing in the afternoon, and dance the night away, specifically at the Electric Adventure concert on Sunday.

My car had other plans and decided to not start Sunday. So a rental car later and Monday chopped off, I made the trek to at least salvage my planned weekend of bliss by dancing to some EDM and getting in one or two rides. El Toro with it's quickish moving line (Nitro was down) beckoned me and it delivered.

Got a ride somewhere in the middle (don't hate me) since time was short and there was a free spot open. Those headchoppers. Some of the best I've seen, outdoing old rusty over on the Grizzly and Rebel Yell.

The banks, speed, camelbacks. So in love.

I will be back and properly enjoy this park but, until then, let's say that sneak peak got me hooked into believing this is one of the best Six Flags I've been to yet.

Oh, and Medusa rocks as floorless. Soooooo much better than Dominator, Hydra, and Kraken, the only other three I've ridden. I got "ERT" on it during the last set of Electric Adventure. I say "ERT" because the ride ops were pretty slow with loading and unloading and it felt less like ERT and more like agony in waiting. There was a lot of debauchery going on because of Electric Adventure. I kept it classy, not sloppy and got two rides on the back left and one on the front right.

That zero g roll was unexpectedly delightful and the fogged LED shields, fire, and interlocking corkscrews with mist were amazing to see and experience at night.

Nitro, I'm coming for you next time. As is you Mr. Ka.

* This post was modified at 8/5/13 11:21:13 PM *

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/6/13 1:39:59 AM
Hey - Don't talk to my boyfriend like that! It's the Green King to YOU! (LOL!)

That really sucks - I saw your post on FB and I felt so bad. I know you were looking forward to that trip. When was Nitro down? I had a friend there Sunday and I believe it was up and running when he was there although he left early due to the ginormous crowds.

Next time get a back row seat on ET and you will see the difference - it's like a different coaster and you will love it even more.

I go to the park a lot so if you need a partner in crime (and one who can get a handicap pass due to recent ankle surgery) let me know!

Jen

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/6/13 8:44:18 AM
Mr. Ka is an impressive boyfriend, I must say. I love that he dominates the skyline and that he shows up in almost every angle in the park.

I will definitely ride ET in the back next time. I don't doubt that it'll be a fantastic second ride.

Thank you for the advice on getting a ride locker. The $1 2-hour rentals were nice -- while waiting in line, I saw a few items fly out of people's hands/pockets. Everyone in line gasped as a phone flirtatiously floated through the air after the first airtime hill.

I remember making my way on over to Nitro after getting off ET because the DJ set I wanted to see wasn't scheduled to start until around 8:30. I rode ET around 6:30 or 7:00, I believe, maybe earlier. I lost track of time.

When I got over to Nitro the line was still near the entrance sign, although it seemed to be moving quicker than it was earlier in the day.

Oddly, there wasn't an employee near the entrance so I couldn't get a feel on how long the wait was. The Armitron sign said two hours but they are never accurate (El Toro said an hour from where I was and it was only 30 minutes). I figured even if it was close to a two hour wait, I'd wait it out since it'd prob be the only other ride I'd get in for the night -- go big or go home, right?

After waiting about fifteen minutes and seeing the line continuously move along but never a train ascend the lift hill, I overheard another person say it was down. Not sure if it ever got back up as I spent the rest of the night over by the arena and Bizarro.

* This post was modified at 8/6/13 8:49:53 AM *

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/6/13 10:30:41 AM
If you were impressed with the middle, then you should ride the back!

It's imo, the best wood out there *gasp* (that I've ridden), and in the back is my favorite spot. It makes that first drop unreal. SO glad you enjoyed the park, and that's cool they had an EDM night there. I bet that was nuts! Not a fan of the music per say, but I bet it was fun.

Also, very very very surprised you liked Medusa THAT much, especially more than Kraken! I may be spoiled with Medusa, as I love Kraken way more. Also Hydra is a great ride, but I may be with you on Medusa being better.

Nitro is absolutely amazing (in my opinion), although it's been shaky a lot this year (physically speaking). Please give Nitro a shot in the last row, and also the front. ALSO, Nitro has a spectacular view of the nature side of NJ, taking a ride on it in the morning, afternoon, and night, will give you a great look at some awesome views. My FAVORITE spot on any ride on the planet so far, is back left on Nitro.

If you get to Nitro, or even El Toro first thing at park opening, I GARUNTEE you can get 5 rides in a row, or at the VERY least 3 rides without getting up.

Nice little write up you did, I enjoyed it!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/6/13 11:59:13 AM
Thanks Mugen.

In all honesty, I rode Kraken back in 2002 when it was a young lad. It was one of the first coasters I ever rode with inversions so I remember being deftly terrified of it and loving every moment of it. Since it's been such a long time and I only have vague memories of it, I put Medusa above it at the current moment. If I went back and rode Kraken again as an adult, I'm pretty sure I might put it on par with Medusa and/or higher.

Has anyone ridden the Slingshot ride? They were running a special where you got two tickets for the price of one. I actually was tempted to buy a ticket since the line was only ten people deep and the ride looked pretty damn fun -- I decided to pass only because I needed the cash flow to pay for tolls on the way back home.

* This post was modified at 8/6/13 12:07:24 PM *

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 8/6/13 12:42:47 PM
I have to second the reply about Medusa. I'm a little surprised you liked Medusa that much too. The first time I rode it I was blown away, but once Magic Mountain added Scream and I returned to Great Adventure to ride Medusa again I found it to be a let down.

I personally love Kraken and Superman Krypton Coaster at Fiesta Texas much more. I even like Dominator over Medusa, but Superman is without a doubt the best floorless out there.

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/6/13 1:00:13 PM
Wow!! Still intrigues me how different all our opinions are. Mugen says he likes Hydra and I think that is one of the lamest coasters on the planet...lol... I hear people saying Medussa is not a good floorless. I think Medussa is one of the best!! I found Superman at Fiesta Texas to be pretty boring and actually rough for a B&M. I also really enjoy Dominator at Kings Dominion. I think we will have to do a top ten floorless list sometime on here.
Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by drachen drachen Profile at 8/6/13 1:11:13 PM
I am of the opinion that, beginning to end, El Toro is the best overall coaster I've ever ridden, wood or steel. That's not to say it's my personal favorite, but it is the best.
drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by ktujon ktujon Profile at 8/6/13 2:05:48 PM
I stopped by this past Sunday from 6:30-7:30 despite Jen's warning of being ginormously crowded: Nitro seemed to be running about 4 rows of the switchback was filled. When I went the next day on Monday, got to Nitro around 12:50pm and the line started at the entrance but the switchback wasn't used and by the time I got into the switchback I saw the line extend well beyond the entrance. I was off the ride by 2pm and I saw them use the switchback with about the same amount of people I saw on Sunday.

With early entry on Monday I was able to get on the 3rd train of ka front row thought about going on again but there was already 4 rows of switchback used and headed over to El toro for 3 consecutive rides in the back row but unfortunately afterwards the friend I brought along got motion-sickness and was pretty much done for the day.

I got a walk-on to Bizarro around noon for a fairly enjoyable ride (I still like Dominator better!) waited quite a long time to get off (loading 2 trains ahead of you seems to take awhile) so I txt'd Jen and by the time I got off the station was full and the line finally flowed onto the stairs.

I ended the day there with a 45min wait for ka with my friend who hopefully recovered from his sickness, despite the line starting well before the switchback, watching them pump out the launches while waiting in the switchback helped the wait seem so much shorter and surprisingly no temp delays!

Another note on Sunday when I arrived, I stopped by the safari and the attendant said it closed at 6pm, so on Monday when I tried to go there alittle after 5pm there were two security guards that said it was closed from 4-5pm!

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/6/13 10:49:56 PM
Nice report. I'll chime in on the floorless debate. I only had my one ride on medusa//bizarro in 2008, so it isn't fair for me to compare it to dominator and kraken which i rode many many times now. I will hopefully ride hydra so that i'll have rode 4 of the floorless coasters on the east coast. To me i still love dominator the most. Kraken, if it is a frontrow seat was also pretty good, but i still like dominator more.

* This post was modified at 8/6/13 10:54:50 PM *

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/6/13 11:12:18 PM
ktujon said:

Another note on Sunday when I arrived, I stopped by the safari and the attendant said it closed at 6pm, so on Monday when I tried to go there alittle after 5pm there were two security guards that said it was closed from 4-5pm!

Safari times are subject to change without notice I was informed. I think it's so they can cut off the line so it actually ends around 6 pm. That's how it was with the drive through too - closed to vehicles at 4 pm and everyone out by 6. I'm actually getting sick of the safari - everyone I've been going with wants to go naturally (and use me for my handicap pass so they don't have to stand in line, LOL)and I'll be going again tomorrow with mom after I was just there today with my friend and niece. Been on it about 6 times now and I could actually do the tour now with no problem. :-)

Jen

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/6/13 11:14:37 PM
Oh and Medusa is the best floorless around IMO. I've been riding her more than anything else lately (mostly due to the fact I'm near the safari all the time and it's a short wait, LOL) but I enjoy that coaster immensely. Only loop that gives me a guaranteed "wee" every time!

Jen

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/6/13 11:18:25 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Nice report. I'll chime in on the floorless debate. I only had my one ride on medusa//bizarro in 2008, so it isn't fair for me to compare it to dominator and kraken which i rode many many times now. I will hopefully ride hydra so that i'll have rode 4 of the floorless coasters on the east coast. To me i still love dominator the most. Kraken, if it is a frontrow seat was also pretty good, but i still like dominator more.

If I had to give Hydra any accolades, it'll have to be the airtime hill near the end of the ride. It's done extremely well, even more so than Dominator's or Medusa's mid-course brake run drops. Kraken's looks like it goes directly into a loop which I don't remember at all but sounds terrific.

In terms of ranking and defining moment as it goes for floorless coasters I've ridden:

1. Medusa - Zero G Roll, Interlocking Corkscrew with Mist
2. Kraken - Probably the Zero G Roll, Rushing Past the Water
3. Hydra - The Airtime Hill Toward the End, JoJo Roll Although Gimmicky
4. Dominator - Nothing Really.

Although Griffon is not classified as a floorless by B&M, I'm overruling them and ranking it as 3.5. Obviously the holding brake before the dive and the splashdown are defining moments for me. Those two Immelmanns are nice too.

* This post was modified at 8/6/13 11:40:26 PM *

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/7/13 7:52:57 AM
I haven't rode since the bizarro makeover, so can't really compare the effects stuff.
I like dominator for the interlocking corkscrews and the loop. As a whole, the ride feels intense and the light trim at the mcbr is another plus.
Kraken, i love it for all the elements it squeezes in, but even in the backrow, it just feels forceless and too smooth. That is why i can't bring myself to liking kraken more despite it having more elements than dominator.

* This post was modified at 8/7/13 7:54:26 AM *

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/7/13 10:07:25 AM
chitlins73 said:

Wow!! Still intrigues me how different all our opinions are. Mugen says he likes Hydra and I think that is one of the lamest coasters on the planet...lol... I hear people saying Medussa is not a good floorless. I think Medussa is one of the best!! I found Superman at Fiesta Texas to be pretty boring and actually rough for a B&M. I also really enjoy Dominator at Kings Dominion. I think we will have to do a top ten floorless list sometime on here.

Really? Hydra is pretty cool in my opinion. Also I think you have to take into consideration I ride it maybe 5-7 times every 2 years? So it's not like my experience with Medusa (love we are calling it that), that I get to ride plenty of times each time I visit SFGAdv, which is quite frequent.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/7/13 10:12:33 AM
mugen828 said:

chitlins73 said:

Wow!! Still intrigues me how different all our opinions are. Mugen says he likes Hydra and I think that is one of the lamest coasters on the planet...lol... I hear people saying Medussa is not a good floorless. I think Medussa is one of the best!! I found Superman at Fiesta Texas to be pretty boring and actually rough for a B&M. I also really enjoy Dominator at Kings Dominion. I think we will have to do a top ten floorless list sometime on here.

Really? Hydra is pretty cool in my opinion. Also I think you have to take into consideration I ride it maybe 5-7 times every 2 years? So it's not like my experience with Medusa (love we are calling it that), that I get to ride plenty of times each time I visit SFGAdv, which is quite frequent.

I think it's the same reason why I ranked Dominator so low. Although I enjoy it, I've grown tiresome of the ride and find myself picking it apart more than I would Medusa or another floorless. I'm pretty sure if the tables were turned and I lived near Great Adventure, I'd probably rank Medusa lower.

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/7/13 10:28:55 PM
antikythera said:

I think it's the same reason why I ranked Dominator so low. Although I enjoy it, I've grown tiresome of the ride and find myself picking it apart more than I would Medusa or another floorless. I'm pretty sure if the tables were turned and I lived near Great Adventure, I'd probably rank Medusa lower.

No you wouldn't. I ride it every time I go (which is a lot) and usually poach a few times in a row and it's hands down the best floorless I've been on IMO. :-)

Jen

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/8/13 9:55:53 AM
Eric_Gieszl said:

I personally love Kraken and Superman Krypton Coaster at Fiesta Texas much more. I even like Dominator over Medusa, but Superman is without a doubt the best floorless out there.

I agree that Superman is the floorless; I never felt airtime (outside of the zero-G roll) of a floorless before until I ridden Supe. I haven't ridden Hydra yet. Here's my rankings on the best floorlesses.

1 Superman
2 Kraken
3 Medusa (because of good zero-G, it nips D-Nator)
4 Dominator

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/8/13 9:56:21 AM
Sorry about the double post.

* This post was modified at 8/8/13 9:57:27 AM *

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/8/13 2:28:54 PM
1. Medusa
2. Dominator
3. Kraken
4. Superman
Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/9/13 11:31:38 AM
It looks like I may get my second chance?

https://www.facebook.com/events/324282441010929/

* This post was modified at 8/9/13 11:32:01 AM *

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/9/13 11:54:45 AM
antikythera said:

It looks like I may get my second chance?


https://www.facebook.com/events/324282441010929/

I'm SO there! You don't have to be an ACE member and it's only $28 if you have a Gadv season pass!

Jen

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/9/13 12:08:21 PM
GoYanks34 said:

antikythera said:

It looks like I may get my second chance?


https://www.facebook.com/events/324282441010929/

I'm SO there! You don't have to be an ACE member and it's only $28 if you have a Gadv season pass!

Jen

I believe non-ACE members can only participate if you are going with an ACE member. Still a great deal though.

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/9/13 12:14:06 PM
antikythera said:

GoYanks34 said:

antikythera said:

It looks like I may get my second chance?


https://www.facebook.com/events/324282441010929/

I'm SO there! You don't have to be an ACE member and it's only $28 if you have a Gadv season pass!

Jen

I believe non-ACE members can only participate if you are going with an ACE member. Still a great deal though.

Yeah well I missed that part on the second page of the flyer. I'm blaming you since you only posted the first page :-P

I'm sure someone at registration will allow me to be their guest so I'm not too worried.

Jen

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/9/13 12:23:25 PM

I'm sure someone at registration will allow me to be their guest so I'm not too worried.

Jen

All else fails and I make it up there, I can probably tack you on.

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/9/13 12:35:03 PM
antikythera said:


I'm sure someone at registration will allow me to be their guest so I'm not too worried.

Jen

All else fails and I make it up there, I can probably tack you on.

:-)

Jen

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by Chris27 at 8/9/13 2:05:43 PM
Toro is the best ride in the park, Toro, Ka and Nitro.

Toro backseat is awesome.

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by ktujon ktujon Profile at 8/9/13 2:17:28 PM
funny how I rarely see the line for the back that long they're all waiting for the front!
Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by Chris27 at 8/9/13 7:34:34 PM
ktujon said:

funny how I rarely see the line for the back that long they're all waiting for the front!

Its because of the way the loading station is. Its the same with Ka.

Everyone gets stuck there waiting for the front and nobody moves along to all the open cars down the train.

They really needed both Ka and Toro's loading stations to be bigger imo.

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/9/13 9:52:03 PM
Chris27 said:

ktujon said:

funny how I rarely see the line for the back that long they're all waiting for the front!

Its because of the way the loading station is. Its the same with Ka.

Everyone gets stuck there waiting for the front and nobody moves along to all the open cars down the train.

They really needed both Ka and Toro's loading stations to be bigger imo.

Well Toro has the Viper's old station and KK was built for double sided loading, which they have now reduced to one side operation. That's why they both bottle neck and hold everyone up. Neither was designed for what they are currently used for.

Jen

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by alpengeistno3 at 8/9/13 10:27:21 PM
GoYanks34 said:


Well Toro has the Viper's old station and KK was built for double sided loading, which they have now reduced to one side operation. That's why they both bottle neck and hold everyone up. Neither was designed for what they are currently used for.

Jen

I doubt Viper ever had a line like El Toro's, lol! (At least it wasn't that way when I started going in 2000.)

Paul

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/10/13 10:16:59 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:



Well Toro has the Viper's old station and KK was built for double sided loading, which they have now reduced to one side operation. That's why they both bottle neck and hold everyone up. Neither was designed for what they are currently used for.

Jen

I doubt Viper ever had a line like El Toro's, lol! (At least it wasn't that way when I started going in 2000.)

Paul

Actually Viper had huge lines at one time. Remember it was the only steel coaster with a decent drop at one point but the line came down the stairs and wrapped around a western themed area on a wide sidewalk so it had more capacity than a switchback queue. There were one set of switchbacks but they were when you first got on line and even then it used to spill out. As time went on the line got shorter and shorter once other coasters were built.

Found these on Great Adventure History:


Funny - if you look at Rolling Thunder both tracks have that metal covering the slats!


the classic Gadv shot without ET. I remember when it was just Rolling Thunder and Runaway Train in this shot!

Jen

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by alpengeistno3 at 8/10/13 4:29:22 PM
Those POOR people!! Then again, back in '95, no Nitro, no Ka, no Bizarro, no SUF, no Skull Mountain, no Toro (of course). And no Flash Pass, so there wasn't much else to do other than wait for the 2 hr line for Batman.

Paul

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by ktujon ktujon Profile at 8/10/13 4:31:43 PM
I'm sure they put that GASM switchback to use!
Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/10/13 7:19:05 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Those POOR people!! Then again, back in '95, no Nitro, no Ka, no Bizarro, no SUF, no Skull Mountain, no Toro (of course). And no Flash Pass, so there wasn't much else to do other than wait for the 2 hr line for Batman.


Paul

Yep - that sounds about right unfortunately. You had Batman, Rolling Thunder, Runaway Train and GASM. GASM was also notoriously painful until you knew how to ride it so many didn't re-ride. Then we got the Chiller in 1998 but it had the OSTRs the first few years which also made it painful to many. I suffered happily for that launch since I'm a launch addict and will do anything to get my fix. Once when the park was closing me and my best friend were on the Chiller and they closed the line and we were the last ones on - on the Robin side. The ride ops let us go for 5 consecutive rides to finish the night (they did that a lot back then - used to do it on Lightnin Loops too so you had to time the line right!) and I believe I couldn't turn my neck to either side for about a week! :-)

Jen

Re: El Toro Is One Hell of a Ride... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/10/13 7:21:40 PM
ktujon said:

I'm sure they put that GASM switchback to use!

That line was never too bad actually - it was a capacity machine for its time. Always had 3 trains running and the entire queue was covered (unlike Viper) so it wasn't that bad even if the line was long (like Nitro when competent ops are on the platform).

Jen