Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Cedar Point In September

Cedar Point In September

jason_t

Posted:
8/2/13 at
6:44:32 PM

URC Family,

I will be making my first ever trip to Cedar Point this September.

We (a friend and myself) will be arriving late Friday night, September 6, check in at the Hotel Breakers and will spend all day at the Point on September 7.

I am aware of the 1 Hour Early Access we get for staying on property and we already purchased Fast Lane Plus.

Can anyone offer any advice for our trip? We are flying into Canton and flying out of Canton Sunday night- we plan on checking out the Football Hall of Fame on Sunday.

Is there a plan of attack to follow at CP (or is that meaningless given the Fast Pass Plus)? Are there any "must do" restaurants between Canton and Sandusky?

Any advice is great!

Happy Coastering!

Thanks,
Jason

Re: Cedar Point In September by alpengeistno3 at 8/3/13 8:13:19 PM
Having just got back from Cedar Point, I can give you "a" gameplan (there are several that could be successful, depending on how busy the place is and what you want to accomplish.)

Early entry is good for Gatekeeper, Raptor, Planet Snoopy, Ocean Motion (at the front of the park), Millennium Force and Iron Dragon (in the middle) and Maverick in the back. The initial rush crowd will go one of 2 places; Gatekeeper or MF.

Option 1
If you are staying more than one day, my advice is to do Gatekeeper ONLY if you are at the head of the pack (if you get to the park at 8:30, you should be far enough in the opening gate line to casually walk over there and get on with little wait, like my friend did.)

If you are late or just getting there at 9:00, skip Gatekeeper and go to Millennium Force.

Option 2
If you are not worried about 2 of big 4, you can go max out rides on Raptor with no wait or go straight to the back of the park and ride Maverick a good number of times before the line gets over 10 mins. We found the line for Maverick did not pick up until closer to 11:00, but one ride and a parent swap was good enough for us. You can do any of the other ERT coasters and go to Maverick 2nd as most of the crowd will go to the new Gatekeeper and queue up for Dragster or MF, leaving anything in the back of the park wide open.

Option 3
Dragster is not included in morning ERT, so if you want to ride that early, you will have to sacrifice the rest of your ride time (you can probably ride one of the ERT rides in the front or middle of the park and beat the crowd to Dragster.) Since Dragster does not open until 10 (or later if there are morning rollback issues), people will line up outside the entrance as soon as ERT starts. Wait too long and you will have just as long a line as during the day. I would not recommend this as there is no guarantee when Dragster will open and you don't want to waste precious morning riding time standing around waiting to see.

Once ERT is done at 10, go directly to the back of the park. Gemini, Magnum, Corkscrew, Mean Streak, and Cedar Creek Mine Train will not have any wait since everyone will be doing what you just did when the park let's them in. You can marathon those rides or just ride once and move on. Things don't start getting bogged down until around 12:00.
Around 6:00-7:00 (or 3 hrs before closing if the park is closing early), go back to the front of the park and hit Mantis, Iron Dragon, Blue Streak, Raptor, Gatekeeper and Dragster (probably will be your last ride of the night as it had the longest line when we were there.) You may be able to take care of some of those during the height of the day as the morning crowd starts to migrate to the back of the park, but we never saw an opening until 7:00 or later.

All of this is moot if you are going to get FastLane, but keep in mind your Fastlane is not good until 10:00 (a whole bunch of people were getting hissey that they couldn't come strolling in 15-30 mins late and use it to cut line for early morning ride time. Go figure!)

Paul

Re: Cedar Point In September by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/4/13 8:08:43 PM
He said he has already gotten the Fast Lane so it won't matter as much. I haven't been there in September but if I recall correctly from posts on here it gets pretty crowded. Listen to Paul with your ERT - don't bother with Gatekeeper then since your fast lane will be all you need to ride any time. I'd do MF if you could - that was the longest line with the fast lane when I went but others who have gone more recently have said Maverick was a long FL wait (it was a walk on for us). TTD will also be a sizable wait, even with FL, although we were lucky and were right there when it opened (it was down for the day) so we got right on with no line. The problem is lines and crowds vary according to the day of the week and month and weather so my advice when I've only been there in May and August every time I've gone probably won't be too helpful to you going in September.

Search this site for Trip Reports (TR) and Cedar Point advice and you'll find more than you need (or want) to know, LOL.

Have fun!

Jen

Re: Cedar Point In September by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 8/4/13 8:26:05 PM
That weekend should not be that busy. It starts to get crowded once HalloWeekends begins which is September 13.
Re: Cedar Point In September by drachen drachen Profile at 8/4/13 8:46:19 PM
Go straight to Millennium Force at 9am. Ride it a couple of times, and head straight to Maverick. Both lines 'could' be unbearable by 11 AM if the park attracts a crowd that day. Even the Fast Lane line was close to an hour when I went.

Fast Lane Plus will get you on Dragster and GateKeeper with in 20 minutes, even if their queues are full. Don't worry about GK in the morning. Take your time getting back there.

Fast Lane was great on Mean Streak, Gemini, Magnum, Raptor, and Blue Streak.

I didn't see a Fast Lane entrance for Mine Ride, and I know there isn't one on Iron Dragon or Wicked Twister.

Mantis had about a 20 minute wait with Fast Lane. Corkscrew was closer to 30 minutes. Like I said, Maverick and Millennium had 75 minute and 45 minute Fast Lane waits, respectively.

I hope it's a little less crowded for you than it was for me. I wasn't there on a overly busy day - probably a standard day by Cedar Point standards.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Cedar Point In September by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 8/5/13 12:48:43 AM
It wasn't overly crowded for your visit? That sounds outrageous and you paid for shorter lines.

I'm sorry, but 75 minutes for the FastLane is ridiculous. This system Cedar Fair is using is garbage.

Re: Cedar Point In September by drachen drachen Profile at 8/5/13 1:59:06 AM
Eric_Gieszl said:

It wasn't overly crowded for your visit? That sounds outrageous and you paid for shorter lines.

I'm sorry, but 75 minutes for the FastLane is ridiculous. This system Cedar Fair is using is garbage.

I'm in the middle of a Cedar Point trip report. I'll have more thoughts on the Fast Lane there. It worked great for everything but Maverick and Millennium to be honest. I don't know what the solution is.

I wouldn't have called that Monday I was there overly busy. Probably just their regular busy summer day.

Too many people are just willing to pay for the Fast Lane.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Cedar Point In September by jason_t at 8/16/13 10:45:49 PM
Fellow Enthusiasts,

I want to thank you all for your responses. I truly appreciate it.

Would it be fair to say, considering the Fastlane issues, that we should try to hit MF and Maverick as our rides during early entry?

Also, since we are never in the Midwest, are there any local hot spots in Ohio that we should dine at?

We are SoCal based and I don't anticipate a trip back to the Midwest any time soon so we want to maximize our trip.

Thanks!