Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Flying Turns News

Flying Turns News

rocketmover

Posted:
7/31/13 at
9:56:25 AM

I've been hearing some encouraging news lately, but nothing official until this - article in today's local news - Happy Reading - Hope to be "flying" soon!!

Flying Turns News

Re: Flying Turns News by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 7/31/13 11:39:55 AM
Thanks for the link. Hope them all the luck to get it up and running.

Regards,
Kevin Reid

Re: Flying Turns News by Coaster316 at 7/31/13 4:41:12 PM
Good to hear they are talking about it with such confidence. Hopefully it is up and running (and popular) soon.

Thanks for posting the article, John.

Re: Flying Turns News by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/31/13 7:07:38 PM
rocketmover said:

I've been hearing some encouraging news lately, but nothing official until this - article in today's local news - Happy Reading - Hope to be "flying" soon!!

I hope they get it open, the ride wows the doubters and he makes millions off it as I was about sick of those. Should cut his losses, Biggest fail of all time and WHY? Post.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Flying Turns News by drachen drachen Profile at 8/1/13 4:45:28 PM
All I know is the minute I hear the park is taking riders for Flying Turns, I will drop what I'm doing and drive to Elysburg...
drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Flying Turns News by Patripman Patripman Profile at 8/1/13 5:20:47 PM
The worlds largest lawn ornament.

Patripman

Re: Flying Turns News by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/1/13 5:22:37 PM
I am excited about this ride opening as much as the next person but dare I say that maybe this ride may not live up to the expectations of many of us out there. I hope I am wrong but how many of you on this site think it is gonna be an amazing ride that would be worth waiting a few hours to ride?? I bet the lines are gonna be crazy when it first opens!!
Re: Flying Turns News by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/1/13 6:47:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvJ0E0q1Tqk
Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Flying Turns News by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/2/13 8:42:49 AM
chitlins73 said:

dare I say that maybe this ride may not live up to the expectations of many of us out there.
Dare you say it? Sure.
I've been thinking that same thing for years, every time I walk by it.

chitlins73 said:

how many of you on this site think it is gonna be an amazing ride that would be worth waiting a few hours to ride??
I'm not one of them.

chitlins73 said:

I bet the lines are gonna be crazy when it first opens!!
If that means this year, and if operating during Phunphest, I'll be in the shorter line at Phoenix!

Mike B.
Re: Flying Turns News by drachen drachen Profile at 8/2/13 10:27:30 AM
This ride is likely not going to be thrilling. But it should be fun, and it will certainly will be unique.

I am one that believes that the line will be not be as long as some people think. The locals will all want to ride it. The enthusiasts will all line up for it. But what percentage of the park's guests are enthusiasts and locals? Relatively small.

I think it will have the typical "new ride" long lines in the morning, but by the afternoon it will be manageable, in terms of popularity.

Now, in terms of capacity... yeah. That line probably won't move very fast.

I'm with Mike B. While everyone is waiting for it in the morning, I'll be happy to make multiple rides on Phoenix.

* This post was modified at 8/2/13 10:28:51 AM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Flying Turns News by rush211243 at 8/2/13 10:54:02 AM
I can understand people thinking they do not care as much or why Knoebel's does care so much. But they do and what does that matter? I for one think the true enthustist will be excited and get why they care to build this one of a kind relic in the 21st century. I won't wait hours but I love the park and much else to do, as i haven't been there since 2009. Will be going in a few weeks!
I'm slightly perplexed as to why Avalanche at KD isn't somewhat a guide?? I know it's different but definitely similar enough of physics, track, and train needed to safely complete motion production of this bobseld coaster.
Re: Flying Turns News by antikythera antikythera Profile at 8/2/13 10:56:21 AM
I may make it up there on Monday. No guarantees but if I do, I'll check out the scene to see if anything is going on in getting the thing ready.

This piqued my interest a long time ago so I'll probably be one of those loons waiting in line with everyone else when it opens.

Re: Flying Turns News by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/2/13 11:03:38 AM
drachen said:

I'm with Mike B. While everyone is waiting for it in the morning, I'll be happy to make multiple rides on Phoenix.

Have fun, guys. That leaves Twister for the Beastmaster.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Flying Turns News by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/2/13 3:15:09 PM
rush211243 said:

I can understand people thinking they do not care as much or why Knoebel's does care so much. But they do and what does that matter? I for one think the true enthustist will be excited and get why they care to build this one of a kind relic in the 21st century. I won't wait hours but I love the park and much else to do, as i haven't been there since 2009. Will be going in a few weeks!
I'm slightly perplexed as to why Avalanche at KD isn't somewhat a guide?? I know it's different but definitely similar enough of physics, track, and train needed to safely complete motion production of this bobseld coaster.

Avalanche is much more stretched out than KFT and I rode it and liked it. I wouldn't say Avalanche was intense, But I loved it and thought it was a good ride.

From the POV on Youtube of KFT, IM thinking it might be terrifying in spots. It has quick transitions and fast swings. This sensation is awesome on suspended coasters with nothing around you, Add walls and banking to the visuals and a bit of shaking as well!

Re: Flying Turns News by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/19/13 6:27:56 PM
Here's the latest testing POV below. I'm gonna make a speculating prediction of Flying Turns, and a critique of the layout.

FT starts out with the first medium hill hill; IMO there's basically no action on that short stretch whatsoever, and it seems like wasted track...err... 'chute'; Then comes the second large lift hill; If there's any exciting action on this coaster, it will definitely be on this longest, and tallest stretch; Then comes some more ultra-wasted chute with this third and final small lift hill just to make it back to the station.

IMO instead of making three lift hills (medium, large, and small) they should have just made two large lift hills; There would've been plenty of momentum to make it through the course, and some more (potential for even a lengthier layout). Just my 2.

www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153098423175551&set=vb.207828210550&type=2&theaer

Re: Flying Turns News by ray_p ray_p Profile at 8/20/13 1:21:16 PM
Hilarious things I have heard “enthusiasts” say about the Flying Turns on various Internet forums:

- “The POV looks lame.”
- “We’ve waited 7 years for THIS?”
- “It’s just another bobsled coaster.”
- “The Flying Turns is bad for business. No park should ever spend that much time and money on a ride.”
- “Since I don’t like the Flying Turns, you shouldn’t either.”

OK, that last one is kind of a stretch, but not by much.

I for one am extremely excited by this ride. Having grown up in Cleveland and being born a year too late for Euclid Beach, I have always been fascinated with the Flying Turns ride concept. While this one isn’t quite as big as the EB version, just knowing that I will soon be able to ride a real Flying Turns has me pumped beyond belief. I watched the POV and thought it looked like a lot of fun barreling down that wooden trough. But then again, that’s just me. I want to have fun at a park. I’m a coaster geek that goes on a ride, enjoys it for what it is (or in the case of a Chance Toboggan, hates it for what it is), and feels blessed that he is still able to enjoy this hobby.

Sorry for going off course there, as I know the negativity here is nowhere near the levels it is on other forums. I do get a kick out of those folks though. I just don’t ever want to hang out with any of them. They sound miserable! :)

Re: Flying Turns News by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/20/13 1:47:06 PM
ray_p said:

Hilarious things I have heard “enthusiasts” say about the Flying Turns on various Internet forums:

- “The POV looks lame.”
- “The Flying Turns is bad for business. No park should ever spend that much time and money on a ride.”

I for one am extremely excited by this ride. Having grown up in Cleveland and being born a year too late for Euclid Beach, I have always been fascinated with the Flying Turns ride concept. While this one isn’t quite as big as the EB version, just knowing that I will soon be able to ride a real Flying Turns has me pumped beyond belief. I watched the POV and thought it looked like a lot of fun barreling down that wooden trough. But then again, that’s just me. I want to have fun at a park. I’m a coaster geek that goes on a ride, enjoys it for what it is (or in the case of a Chance Toboggan, hates it for what it is), and feels blessed that he is still able to enjoy this hobby.

Sorry for going off course there, as I know the negativity here is nowhere near the levels it is on other forums. I do get a kick out of those folks though. I just don’t ever want to hang out with any of them. They sound miserable! :)

Totally agree. We have a few hundred dollars left in our coaster fund for this season. We are saving it in case Flying Turns opens this fall. I checked Knoebles dates of operation for 2013. There system the use on the web site is a little confusing, but it looks like they are open in September and the first few days of October. They have to be pretty close to finally opening Flying Turns. The kids and I were just talking about this last night. We like bobsled coasters, and Flying Turns looks to be the ultimate bobsled coaster.

Re: Flying Turns News by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/20/13 3:24:10 PM
ray_p said:

- “The POV looks lame.”

I'm with you - I think it looks fun! I was supposed to go to Knoebels this Thursday but plans have been cancelled since I'm having some more ankle issues (I'm about ready to cut the damn thing off!) so now I'm hoping they get it running so I can reschedule my trip.

Jen

Re: Flying Turns News by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/20/13 3:43:39 PM
I hope that I didn't send the wrong message earlier. Don't get me wrong, I think that FT should be fun, particularly after the second lift hill, with that classic flying turns layout. I'm far from saying "I don't like it, and you shouldn't either" LOL

What's gonna make a coaster like this very fun is the switching tight turns (kinda like S-curves if you will; tight turn left, tight turn right, tight turn left). The second lift hill action has that. That's why I'm so critical of the chute after the first lift hill, which is just a constant right turn to the second hill; It seems similar to a drop out of a station of a regular woodie, certainly a stretch that you won't think need a lift hill before it. The best word that I can use for the first lift hill on FT is 'inefficient'.

* This post was modified at 8/20/13 3:52:50 PM *

Re: Flying Turns News by ray_p ray_p Profile at 8/20/13 4:33:32 PM
Trust me Overbanked, it's not you I was describing at all. :)

There are a lot of self-proclaimed "industry experts" and inside joke tellers elsewhere on the web that have been saying that this ride is going to suck, or that it isn't going to live up to the 7 years of hype. To them I say fine, that's their opinion. Me on the other hand, I am greatly looking forward to this ride and have been ever since it was announced. I have always been puzzled by people who post on coaster message forums that say that they aren't into coasters and parks much, yet when you scan up and down the page of a particular post, those people are posting more than anyone else. It just makes me chuckle.

Anyhow, in order to move this thread forward, I will simply say that Flying Turns is definitely high on my to do list once it opens. It may or may not be a great ride... either way, it's at Knoebels and that alone is good enough for me!

Re: Flying Turns News by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/20/13 9:52:32 PM
frontrow said: I checked Knoebles dates of operation for 2013. There system the use on the web site is a little confusing, but it looks like they are open in September and the first few days of October.

PPP is always the Saturday of the annual Covered Bridge festival (and huge craft fair, etc), and this year they are breaking from the norm and having it the week before Columbus Day weekend.
http://www.knoebels.com/images/pdf/MediaDownloads/calendar.pdf

I generally arrive early afternoon Saturday, and buy the Sunday all day pass with my PPP hand stamp, as the Sunday following PPP is also generally a good day to visit. Of course I expect to see the "usual suspects" enthusiasts from all over the country that I have come to know and love all these years.

Anyway, I'm there for PPP and most of Sunday afternoon whether or not FT is open. It does look like fun; pure simple fun.
But if it is indeed open, and the line is too long for me (over an hour) I'll skip it rather than waste time I (we) could put to better use on Phoenix or the Flyers or the (in)famous Skooters on which one time last year we knew in line that we would fill all the cars...and I had an idea. Which worked out quite well, and hope we started a new tradition. If ya know Knoebel's Skooters you will get it...and kudos to the staff, they went along with it, after a slight delay.

New tradition? One way only!

Mike B.
Re: Flying Turns News by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/21/13 6:26:00 PM
Thank you Mike B. That calendar is very helpful.
Re: Flying Turns News by Ligtnin78nic Ligtnin78nic Profile at 8/21/13 6:49:44 PM
I'm excited about the Flying Turns.I live an hour from Knoebels and just visited a week and a half ago.I got to see the train and there were workers doing landscaping or something.I like bobsled coasters though having rode the one at Kings Dominion and Diaster Transport.These turns look sharper than a normal bobsled and it goes completely sideways unlike what I remember of the KD Bobsled. I don't think it will be thrilling but it does look fun,fun,fun.
Re: Flying Turns News by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/22/13 10:33:51 PM
Someone posted this on a FB forum I'm on. Thought I'd share. :-)

Jen

http://www.allamericanthrills.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=765&p=6529#p6529

Re: Flying Turns News by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/23/13 8:17:48 AM
GoYanks34 said:

Someone posted this on a FB forum I'm on. Thought I'd share. :-)
Jen

http://www.allamericanthrills.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=765&p=6529#p6529

Nice post, thanks, Jen.

After all these years, it is finally getting to the point where information re FT seems to be factual, not conjectural. The latter got real tiresome to me.
But I've always had the thought "I'll believe it (ride it) when I see it (completed and running)" about every coaster that has been announced over the years.

Mike B.
Re: Flying Turns News by CortexBomb CortexBomb Profile at 8/23/13 7:29:53 PM
It's very exciting to see the Flying Turns (hopefullY) being ready to operate in the near future!

I was amazed when I first started getting back into the hobby to see that the Turns had never been opened up. Hopefully it'll happen this year so I can make a return visit to Knoebel's coincide with real old school bobsled goodness.

Anyone who's a skeptic...well, I guess it's not completely unfounded, but honestly, bobsleds are what they are. I love the ride experience (at least on the Mack designs...only one in the US is at King's Dominion) but they're always very short. I do love the wild side to side action.

To me the cool thing about the Knoebels Turns is the same thing that was neat about Twister and Phoenix, the preservation and living history element. The Knoebels ride will be the only true, traditional style flying turns in the world when it finally debuts. The history geek in me absolutely loves that.

Best,

Michael W.

Re: Flying Turns News *NM* by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/26/13 9:56:30 PM

PPP phlyer

Mike B.
Re: Flying Turns News by rush211243 at 8/27/13 3:10:09 PM
ray_p said:

Trust me Overbanked, it's not you I was describing at all. :)

There are a lot of self-proclaimed "industry experts" and inside joke tellers elsewhere on the web that have been saying that this ride is going to suck, or that it isn't going to live up to the 7 years of hype. To them I say fine, that's their opinion. Me on the other hand, I am greatly looking forward to this ride and have been ever since it was announced. I have always been puzzled by people who post on coaster message forums that say that they aren't into coasters and parks much, yet when you scan up and down the page of a particular post, those people are posting more than anyone else. It just makes me chuckle.

Anyhow, in order to move this thread forward, I will simply say that Flying Turns is definitely high on my to do list once it opens. It may or may not be a great ride... either way, it's at Knoebels and that alone is good enough for me!

Right totally understand and I will be excited about the historical significance of this ride. One of a kind and worth the wait since I don't always go to the park, but it is one of a kind as well. I will be going on Sat Sept 7th so crossing my fingers it will open, at least to see it in action!

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.