Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Rollercoaster Therapy?

Rollercoaster Therapy?

Stredain Stredain Profile

Posted:
7/29/13 at
11:25:55 AM

Hello everyone.. I have noticed on my worst of days with depression, a series of good rides on rollercoatsers banishes the blues- I usually go home feeling a lot better and stay that way for a day or so.
I am wondering what your take is on this- body chemicals at work or just being in a place that
makes one feel better? Something else perhaps?
Stredain

Re: Rollercoaster Therapy? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/29/13 11:42:59 AM
I agree with that. My daily life at home consists of the normal stress and anxiety of any family man. When I enter through the gates of an amusement park, all those worries and stress go away. I have so much fun that I forget about everything else for that day. At the end of the day it seems that I can put that stress and worries back into their true perspective. It seems when you calm down, you can handle a situation better, and that's what parks do for me. Also when I'm working out on the boat, I look forward to my next coaster trip and reflect on the ones that I have made. It helps me get through those long 3 weeks. Fly fishing, and tying flies acts as a stress reliever also.
Re: Rollercoaster Therapy? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/29/13 12:27:42 PM
All I can say is this:

My Mom passed away on September 25, 2005. I was very close to her. I also watched her pass. The process took a toll on my sister and me.

After the funeral, I went to parks the next three weekends in a row. I forget the order, but it was GrAdv, Dorney and Hershey. It was very cathartic and enabled me to let out a lot of repressed emotion, anger, frustration, sadness, etc. I'm not a screamer when I ride, but I did a lot of that on those days, which included my first rides on Kingda Ka.

So I can only speak for my own experience, but I'd say riding coasters can be therapeutic under certain circumstances.

Mike

* This post was modified at 7/29/13 12:29:55 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Rollercoaster Therapy? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/29/13 12:49:54 PM
IMO, having a good day in an amusement park with coasters* is a complete escape from ALL "current reality."

* has to be coasters!

Mike B.
Re: Rollercoaster Therapy? by ktujon ktujon Profile at 7/29/13 12:50:45 PM
Most definitely! I work 10 hour days so during each day at work I think about the next coaster I'm going to marathon if possible, I was glad it rained Saturday night so I was able to get 11 rides on skyrush with my preview plan and I could have rode more if it didn't close at 11pm and I was able to ride both wings of the back row with no problems!
Re: Rollercoaster Therapy? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 7/29/13 9:14:55 PM
I think it has to do more with us indulging in the hobby we all love. The same could be said about anything one does for fun -- if you love it, you will get joy out of it, no matter what. Growing up it was video games -- I could veg out and play the same game over and over and I would always leave a bit relieved until the real world hit, just to think about doing it all again the following day.