Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Giant Bullet Drop Ride from 1891

Giant Bullet Drop Ride from 1891

antikythera antikythera Profile

Posted:
7/26/13 at
8:37:02 PM

Randomly came across this while searching for information about Action Park...

http://io9.com/5858945/dropping-1000-feet-inside-a-giant-bullet--the-most-bad+ass-amusement-park-ride-that-never-was

Basically, some man in France came up with the idea of an amusement park ride where you'd be dropped with 14 other people in a 30 foot long bullet from 1000 feet up into a 180 deep champagne flute shaped well.

His theory states that you'd stay in your seat due to the contours of the seat forming to your body...

His idea was originally featured in the Scientific American Journal, Volume 64.

Obviously the precursor to the modern drop tower.

Reminds me Franz Reichelt who jumped from the Eiffel Tower in 1912 trying to perfect the parachute. Franz's idea would have worked, the execution just failed.

I kind of see the same with this ride.

* This post was modified at 7/26/13 8:39:02 PM *

Re: Giant Bullet Drop Ride from 1891 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/27/13 1:12:40 AM
antikythera said:

Randomly came across this while searching for information about Action Park...

http://io9.com/5858945/dropping-1000-feet-inside-a-giant-bullet--the-most-bad+ass-amusement-park-ride-that-never-was

Basically, some man in France came up with the idea of an amusement park ride where you'd be dropped with 14 other people in a 30 foot long bullet from 1000 feet up into a 180 deep champagne flute shaped well.

His theory states that you'd stay in your seat due to the contours of the seat forming to your body...

His idea was originally featured in the Scientific American Journal, Volume 64.

Obviously the precursor to the modern drop tower.

Reminds me Franz Reichelt who jumped from the Eiffel Tower in 1912 trying to perfect the parachute. Franz's idea would have worked, the execution just failed.

I kind of see the same with this ride.

When I first read your post I thought you were saying it was at Action Park and I thought to myself I saw some pretty bad decisions made there (I participated in some of them as underage drinking was encouraged there, LOL) but I didn't remember anything remotely close to that. But if there was ever a venue that would be willing to try that concept Action Park would have been the place! :-)

Jen

Re: Giant Bullet Drop Ride from 1891 by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 7/27/13 4:23:17 PM
The riders may have stayed in their seats if they held on, otherwise they would have experienced zero g and would have been able to float freely like riders on the "vomit comet" airplane. But either way, they would have been weightless for the duration of the drop. No idea how they would have been able to get out out the capsule at the end of this ride; I guess it was supposed to have floated back to the top of the pool.