Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Classic Kings Dominion Photos 1990/1991

Classic Kings Dominion Photos 1990/1991

alpengeistno3

Posted:
7/26/13 at
5:02:11 AM

As I promised, here are the construction pics of Anaconda from 1990.

Conda '90
Ride completed up to the end of the block brake in mid-May 1990. All of the footers appear to be set and there is a crane in the background next to the lift. Oh yeah, no waterpark!

Conda Summer 91
Completed Anaconda in July '91. Still no waterpark, but the lake has been drained in preparation for construction.

Conda '90 2
A picture of Shockwave (in black) that gives a closer look at the footers near the block brake. And the Grove is Candy Apple Grove back then with a much different flat ride selection.

Grizzly '90
Classic Grizzly pic from 1990. No Hurler, no Wayne's World, no go-carts, no dinosaurs. Just wooded Grizzly :)

I'm working on those Drachen Fire pictures. Trying to choose the best ones because if I scanned them all, there would be hundreds!! (I have it narrowed down to 25 or so.)

Paul

Re: Classic Kings Dominion Photos 1990/1991 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/26/13 10:39:39 AM
Awesome pics. That's how I always remember KD - all woods with a few coasters and rides. I remember when Rebel Yell was the "big" coaster you saw from the outside (like when Rolling Thunder was the "big" one for Gadv). Boy times have changed.

Jen

Re: Classic Kings Dominion Photos 1990/1991 by antikythera antikythera Profile at 7/26/13 12:28:16 PM
When Grizzly was king. So much a former shadow of itself now.
Re: Classic Kings Dominion Photos 1990/1991 by Coaster316 at 7/26/13 1:12:38 PM
Thanks for posting these. Great pics.

I'm going to have to work under the assumption that I did not go to the park that year as this just doesn't ring a bell. I know I was there in 1991, as I do recall reading a sign about the waterpark coming soon.

Thanks again.

Re: Classic Kings Dominion Photos 1990/1991 by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 7/27/13 4:33:21 PM
Do you remember anything about the flat ride in the upper right hand corner of your third pic? Reason I ask is that I was trying to remember something about a flat that a friend and I rode back when we went to a local park (could have been either KD or HP, as I don't remember SFA ever having anything like that) in 97'. The ride that I remember was similar to the Falcon at HP (I know it wasn't that, and I don't know if they ever had anything similar before that was installed) but the cars would spin when you pressed this button between the seats. Like the Falcon, the cars were raised up to the top of the tower. If you didn't press the button the cars would just go around and fly outward like on the Falcon but not go upside down.
I remember it well because I was laughing so hard because my friend couldn't figure out how I was making the car spin, but I don't remember anything else about the ride or even if it was at KD.
Re: Classic Kings Dominion Photos 1990/1991 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/27/13 5:30:40 PM
Schrecken said:

Do you remember anything about the flat ride in the upper right hand corner of your third pic? Reason I ask is that I was trying to remember something about a flat that a friend and I rode back when we went to a local park (could have been either KD or HP, as I don't remember SFA ever having anything like that) in 97'. The ride that I remember was similar to the Falcon at HP (I know it wasn't that, and I don't know if they ever had anything similar before that was installed) but the cars would spin when you pressed this button between the seats. Like the Falcon, the cars were raised up to the top of the tower. If you didn't press the button the cars would just go around and fly outward like on the Falcon but not go upside down.
I remember it well because I was laughing so hard because my friend couldn't figure out how I was making the car spin, but I don't remember anything else about the ride or even if it was at KD.

Sky Pilot was the name of the ride. Kings Dominion and Kings Island had one. That was one of my all time favorite flat rides. I just did some research on that ride recently. I downloaded photos of that ride. If my photo bucket account wasn't screwed up, I'd post some photos of it. I believe the ride operated from 1989 to 1996. It was removed due to an accident that happened on the one at Kings Island.

Re: Classic Kings Dominion Photos 1990/1991 by alpengeistno3 at 7/27/13 6:46:15 PM
You mean this one, Lee?

Sky Pilot

This is the pad that is currently occupied by Drop Zone. I only rode Sky Pilot once. My brother wanted to ride it after riding Anaconda. I think Ken summed it up; pushed a joystick to roll either direction.

I am not a fan of spinning rides of any kind, so I never rode it again. I believe it was removed because to the Kings Island accident that Ken mentioned.

Paul

Re: Classic Kings Dominion Photos 1990/1991 by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 7/28/13 1:20:37 AM
I guess that must have been it - I suppose I could have gone to KD sometime in 96' before it was removed. What happened on the one at KI?
Re: Classic Kings Dominion Photos 1990/1991 by Aldo at 7/28/13 2:32:30 AM
Schrecken said:

I guess that must have been it - I suppose I could have gone to KD sometime in 96' before it was removed. What happened on the one at KI?

It was removed after 1995 season. This is just a wild guess but it might have gone to Playcenter in São Paulo, Brazil. They opened an Intamin Flight Trainer in 1996 and it operated up til 1999.

Re: Classic Kings Dominion Photos 1990/1991 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/28/13 6:59:43 PM
Schrecken said:

Here is what I've read. A woman boarded Flight Commander at 9:45 pm. She boarded by herself with an empty seat next to her. Sources believe that she passed out, due to her 3.0 blood alcohol level. The woman then somehow slipped out of the restraints and fell 60 feet to her death. After the post accident investigation, it was determined that there was a flaw in the design of the restraints. Intamin was the company that built both rides. That accident led to the removal of both rides.

Re: Classic Kings Dominion Photos 1990/1991 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/28/13 7:17:39 PM
frontrow said:

Schrecken said:

Here is what I've read. A woman boarded Flight Commander at 9:45 pm. She boarded by herself with an empty seat next to her. Sources believe that she passed out, due to her 3.0 blood alcohol level. The woman then somehow slipped out of the restraints and fell 60 feet to her death. After the post accident investigation, it was determined that there was a flaw in the design of the restraints. Intamin was the company that built both rides. That accident led to the removal of both rides.

Seems to me there was a flaw in the amount of alcohol they served or in the ability of the staff to recognize a very drunk person entering the park. 0.3% BAC is actually close to the lethal limit (and can be lethal for some) so it must have been pretty obvious she was severely intoxicated. That was back in the day when many amusement parks were shady at the very least and dangerous at their worst. Don't know how KD was since I only went to BGE in the 90's and there were no problems I remember there since they had an awesome BBW coaster (RIP) that me and my friend rode like 20 times so I probably wouldn't have noticed if things were bad anyway. I remember those were the days at Gadv when everyone was drunk and there were fights, stabbings and I believe even a few shootings until they finally got their crap together and started cleaning the place up. The restraint failure sounds more like an incidental finding in this case but at least it prevented other deaths if someone had fainted from heat or something along those lines. (and I'm being facetious - I don't really think someone deserves to die just because they drank WAY too much before people start going crazy). ;-)

Jen

Re: Classic Kings Dominion Photos 1990/1991 by alpengeistno3 at 7/28/13 9:53:36 PM
Well, there was that whole stabbing incident that resulted in the metal detectors being added, but that is besides the point since the Flight Commander incident happened at KI, not KD.

Paul

Re: Classic Kings Dominion Photos 1990/1991 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/28/13 10:00:10 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Well, there was that whole stabbing incident that resulted in the metal detectors being added, but that is besides the point since the Flight Commander incident happened at KI, not KD.

Paul

Oh - I thought he was talking about the KD one but same difference. It was a different time back then that's for sure.

Jen

Re: Classic Kings Dominion Photos 1990/1991 by alpengeistno3 at 8/27/13 9:42:28 PM
I had this classic video recommended to me on my youtube digest. I wish I could say a shot it, but it is classic pre-Paramount KD for those of you who wish to reminisce.

Good to see Racing Rivers and the Haunted River again. Love the Anaconda bit at the end, back when the train did not come to a complete stall on the block brake and the crew could actually dispatch the trains without stacking!

Paul

* This post was modified at 8/27/13 10:33:45 PM *

Re: Classic Kings Dominion Photos 1990/1991 by alpengeistno3 at 8/27/13 10:09:49 PM
Maybe I can get the embedding to work for part 2. Grizzly with ALL of the trees intact :)

Paul

Re: Classic Kings Dominion Photos 1990/1991 by Coaster316 at 8/28/13 7:23:15 AM
My first trip to the park was, I think, 1978 when I was very young. There are a lot of things I miss about those days but one thing that has not negatively affected any of my trips is the removal of trees around the Grizzly. I am one of those people who likes the surroundings of coasters, too, but I don't think that Grizzly has been that damaged by tree removals. The Hurler addition obviously did cause the biggest difference, but it never really bothered me.
Re: Classic Kings Dominion Photos 1990/1991 by Patripman Patripman Profile at 8/28/13 5:49:50 PM
Jeff,

Are you going to PPP this year?

Patripman

Re: Classic Kings Dominion Photos 1990/1991 by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 8/29/13 1:55:28 AM
I remember those days at KD back in the early 80's....and I kind of miss the Hanna Barbera stuff, as that was what they had back when I was a child. I also remember the King Kobra and being much too scared to ride it. My cousin and I went there with my mom in 83' and he dared me to ride the Rebel Yell with him, and I reluctantly accepted the dare (my mom passed on riding it). We white-knuckled it thru the whole thing, but neither of us had the nerve to ride a looping coaster.
Yet another thing I remember was the kids' admission price back in those days - it was only $11!
Re: Classic Kings Dominion Photos 1990/1991 by Coaster316 at 8/29/13 8:09:41 AM
Patripman said:

Jeff,

Are you going to PPP this year?

Patripman

Hey Tripman,

No, I doubt I'll be going to PPP this year. Last time I went I didn't even stay for the actual event. Walked the craft fair, hit a couple of rides with my nieces and left by 3:00 pm.

Schrecken said:

I remember those days at KD back in the early 80's.... I also remember the King Kobra and being much too scared to ride it. My cousin and I went there with my mom in 83' and he dared me to ride the Rebel Yell with him, and I reluctantly accepted the dare (my mom passed on riding it). We white-knuckled it thru the whole thing, but neither of us had the nerve to ride a looping coaster.

Same here. I loved the Rebel Yell from the first time I rode it but was too afraid to ride the Kobra on our first trip.

Of all the things I miss, I miss the Haunted River and Smurfs in the mountain the most. Volcano is my second favorite steel coaster, but I do miss those wonderful rides, too, and still remember walking to the mountain and seeing the river closed for the first time. Heartbreaking.

Re: Classic Kings Dominion Photos 1990/1991 by alpengeistno3 at 2/17/14 3:47:13 PM
I added some more pics (got a new wireless printer, so no more moving the computer to hook up with the scanner :) Figured the Safari Village and Candy Apple Grove pictures were of particular importance with the 40 Anniversary celebration kicking off this year.

Classic pic of Safari Village before the monorail, Diamond Falls, and The Lost Mountain rides were removed.

Anaconda from the area that would become I-305.

The old Outer Limits arch. You knew it was bad news when the line was stretched back to that sign.

Grizzly's tunnel run, before Hurler, Hypersonic, and the GoKart track. took down all of the trees in front of you. Reminds me of the Beast at KI.

Dinosaurs were still extinct in 1993!

Congo 1996, before Volcano construction

No Italian Job, Flight of Fear, I-305 and Hurricane Reef is starting construction.

The old Rebel Yell queue line next to the operating Skyride station. Oh, Sky Pilot and the Floral clock are there, too.

Scooby Doo, all by itself in the back of Hanna Barbara Land (notice the nice freshly added wood in the above station turn.)

Paul