Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Ghostrider Question?

Ghostrider Question?

K.C.

Posted:
4/3/00 at
3:25:14 PM

I have heard a lot of good things about this coaster. People say it is the best wooden coaster on the West coast. I was just wondering does this coaster have a lot of air time or lateral G's to make it so popular? I have never ridden Ghostrider, and was just curious.

Re: Ghostrider Question? by Bruce Jensen at 4/3/00 3:49:22 PM

Hi - you wrote:

> I have heard a lot of good things about this
> coaster. People say it is the best wooden
> coaster on the West coast. I was just
> wondering does this coaster have a lot of
> air time or lateral G's to make it so
> popular? I have never ridden Ghostrider, and
> was just curious.

If you've heard a lot of good things, then somewhere in there in you must have heard the answers to your questions...that it has massive floating and ejector air, and butt-kickin' laterals by the ton. It has terrifying speed and intensity that doesn't let up. I would not be surprised if someone had the opinion that it was the best coaster in N. America. It is certainly the best rollercoaster I have ever been on.

Strong points -

(1) It is a nice long ride, 4,600 feet. (2) It has a helix near the end that is, even after minor reprofiling, still a magnificent element. (3) It has a drop at the beginning of the second half that may be the finest single moment of ejector airtime anywhere (try the backseat!). (4) It has a wild and woolly race through the structure that keeps your mouth open in an uncontrolled scream of terror and delight. (5) It uses first-rate PTC cars, comfortable and secure, and with lapbars that allow plenty of room for vertical floatage. (6) It has all of CCIs best design elements rolled into one compact yet huge-feeling layout.

Weak points - (1) There is, at present, only ONE of this thoroughly inspired hybrid design. This season and next may see a few more, though :-)

Bruce Jensen

Re: Ghostrider Question? by JAL at 4/3/00 6:03:33 PM

Everything Bruce siad about Ghostrider is true. In addition to all that, Ghostrider gives you that intense out of control feeling at certain parts of the track, and has a great finish.

Jim

Re: Ghostrider Question? by K.C. at 4/3/00 7:50:47 PM

> Hi - you wrote: If you've heard a lot of
> good things, then somewhere in there in you
> must have heard the answers to your
> questions...that it has massive floating and
> ejector air, and butt-kickin' laterals by
> the ton. It has terrifying speed and
> intensity that doesn't let up. I would not
> be surprised if someone had the opinion that
> it was the best coaster in N. America. It is
> certainly the best rollercoaster I have ever
> been on. Strong points - (1) It is a nice
> long ride, 4,600 feet. (2) It has a helix
> near the end that is, even after minor
> reprofiling, still a magnificent element.
> (3) It has a drop at the beginning of the
> second half that may be the finest single
> moment of ejector airtime anywhere (try the
> backseat!). (4) It has a wild and woolly
> race through the structure that keeps your
> mouth open in an uncontrolled scream of
> terror and delight. (5) It uses first-rate
> PTC cars, comfortable and secure, and with
> lapbars that allow plenty of room for
> vertical floatage. (6) It has all of CCIs
> best design elements rolled into one compact
> yet huge-feeling layout. Weak points - (1)
> There is, at present, only ONE of this
> thoroughly inspired hybrid design. This
> season and next may see a few more, though
> :-) Bruce Jensen

The only thing that I had heard about Ghostrider was that it gave a good ride, and was a lot of fun. I did not know the exact details on this coaster(such as air time and lateral G's). Thank you for the information though, it was very helpful. K.C.

Re: Ghostrider Question? by Flare at 4/4/00 12:03:11 AM

> Hi - you wrote: If you've heard a lot of
> good things, then somewhere in there in you
> must have heard the answers to your
> questions...that it has massive floating and
> ejector air, and butt-kickin' laterals by
> the ton. It has terrifying speed and
> intensity that doesn't let up. I would not
> be surprised if someone had the opinion that
> it was the best coaster in N. America. It is
> certainly the best rollercoaster I have ever
> been on. Strong points - (1) It is a nice
> long ride, 4,600 feet. (2) It has a helix
> near the end that is, even after minor
> reprofiling, still a magnificent element.
> (3) It has a drop at the beginning of the
> second half that may be the finest single
> moment of ejector airtime anywhere (try the
> backseat!). (4) It has a wild and woolly
> race through the structure that keeps your
> mouth open in an uncontrolled scream of
> terror and delight. (5) It uses first-rate
> PTC cars, comfortable and secure, and with
> lapbars that allow plenty of room for
> vertical floatage. (6) It has all of CCIs
> best design elements rolled into one compact
> yet huge-feeling layout. Weak points - (1)
> There is, at present, only ONE of this
> thoroughly inspired hybrid design. This
> season and next may see a few more, though
> :-) Bruce Jensen

Bruce, i think your review is pretty much RIGHT on...but with respect to the airtime, i didn't find it to be *overabundant* but will certainly say on those hills that have it, *IT* is really satisfying... I just like to clarify the fact that, imo, it's not a coaster about airtime perse.

Definitely the speed and the laterals... AND, by far, one of the best ejectors on a woodie... but that turn after the ejector...AINT that just the shi...stuff!!! :-) It's the complete package, not one thing that make it really phenominal.

Have you ridden the C.I. Cyclone Bruce? Just curious.

Dave

Re: Ghostrider Question? by Bruce Jensen at 4/4/00 12:36:21 PM

You wrote:

> Bruce, i think your review is pretty much RIGHT
> on...but with respect to the airtime, i
> didn't find it to be *overabundant* but will
> certainly say on those hills that have it,
> *IT* is really satisfying... I just like to
> clarify the fact that, imo, it's not a
> coaster about airtime perse. Definitely the
> speed and the laterals...

I guess I don't disagree - it isn't an airtime coaster like, say, Comet or Shivering Timbers is purported to be - but still, it has plenty of it, more than any other coaster in CA save for Goliath, which by virtue of its sheer size has perhaps a little more linear length of airtime. For Ghostrider it is, as you say, the entire package that hits the jackpot.

> Have you ridden the C.I.
> Cyclone Bruce? Just curious. Dave

Nope - someday. I'd also like to get to many other great woodies back east someday. This summer, I'll have the chance to try a few, including Boulderdash and the SFNE Cyclone, maybe the Yankee Cannonball and Excalibur.

Sounds like you've tried the Astroland Cyclone - what do you think of it?

Bruce Jensen

Re: Ghostrider Question? by Bruce Jensen at 4/4/00 12:39:56 PM

The only thing that I had heard about Ghostrider
> was that it gave a good ride, and was a lot
> of fun. I did not know the exact details on
> this coaster(such as air time and lateral
> G's). Thank you for the information though,
> it was very helpful. K.C.

You are welcome, and thanks to the other guys who helped to clarify my occasionally out of control comments :-) I sincerely hope that you have a chance to ride it soon. It is one of the few coasters that I would happily and repeatedly wait more than an hour for.

Bruce Jensen

Cyclone reply by Flare at 4/5/00 7:54:50 PM

> Sounds like you've tried the Astroland
> Cyclone - what do you think of it? Bruce
> Jensen

Bruce,

It's been my favorite wooden roller coaster for over 20 years...and nothing's really managed to definitively push it out of it's rightful place there. Granted, i was enthralled with Ghostrider, thoroughly...Absolutely a winner, and i've not yet ridden Phoenix or Shivering Timbers, which are the 2 i think could possibly rival it in certain obvious ways.

As to the Cyclone, first off, it has NEVER been touched by it's clones... Not even close... I guess, to sum it up, it's a chemistry, like GR at Knott's, and it's the way it was built...

I can try and sum it up: The rolling stock you ride in takes you back and makes you feel like, upon leaving the station, you're right back on a *Roaring 20's* coaster, if you can imagine it...the train is the first ingredient to the experience: Comfy, nicely padded seats, no seat divider...big latching lap bar...PLENTY of room to get up and exit the ride *midcourse* if need be, if you catch my *Lift* :-) Totally key to the Ride...

The first drop is the greatest first drop on any woodie...it's personally my favorite first drop on ANY coaster, including the likes of *Goliath* etc... The back seat is to be feared as it yanks you over the top of the hill as you stare out into the Atlantic ocean... from there it's truly brilliant in presentation of wicked hills filled with loft, laterals that swing and slam just the right way... fan turns that, like the first drop, don't have a rival out there, imo... The backside dip off the 1st surf avenue turn into the camelback into the 2nd Atlantic Ocean fan turn is 12 seconds of complete wooden grace....I could go on and on...

In a nutshell Bruce, it aint size...it aint height...but it's the chemistry of a tightly laid PACKED course of rail riding ferocity that ever coaster should aspire to...No twister of wood comes close, imo...

Not only that...the experience of the Midway is a unique one that everybody should enjoy, at least once in their life!

People naysay it sometimes, for varioius reasons...but like i've coined the term, I'm into ranking a #1, not a *Newber 1* coaster... And the Cyclone, after 73 years, is still around, faster than ever...and this Sunday i'll be SURE to post a report on how it's riding this year. :-)

If you're on the east coast, you MUST stop by and ride it, especially if you'll be here for Boulder Dash and Riverside Cyclone, which is actually a REALLY great woodie, uncloned, but hopefully ready to thrill properly with new PTC...*the morgans were a sad thing on it...ugh*

Hope that helps...

Dave