Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Question about Behemouth vs Nitro

Question about Behemouth vs Nitro

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
7/22/13 at
10:38:46 PM

I just watched the Coaster Wars episode from Sunday and was very pleased Magnum won. Of course once it was ahead with only Batwing to go it was a given. And once again people who have never ridden or hardly ridden are labeled as enthusiasts! That show pisses me off but I do love the coaster coverage.

OK, so my question is that while watching the POV shots of Behemoth/elements narrated it looked/sounded an awful lot like Nitro - are they similar?

One more question - WTF is the difference between a bunny hill and a camel back? Are they the same thing? And Paul called Magnum's turnaround a pretzel loop but they called it a bow tie. I can't take all these friggin terms! I can't even get inverted vs suspended right half the time - they're completely interchangeable in my mind, LOL! (I know they're not so no need to explain the difference on those)

Jen

Re: Question about Behemouth vs Nitro by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/22/13 10:44:26 PM
GoYanks34 said:

I just watched the Coaster Wars episode from Sunday and was very pleased Magnum won. Of course once it was ahead with only Batwing to go it was a given. And once again people who have never ridden or hardly ridden are labeled as enthusiasts! That show pisses me off but I do love the coaster coverage.

OK, so my question is that while watching the POV shots of Behemoth/elements narrated it looked/sounded an awful lot like Nitro - are they similar?

One more question - WTF is the difference between a bunny hill and a camel back? Are they the same thing? And Paul called Magnum's turnaround a pretzel loop but they called it a bow tie. I can't take all these friggin terms! I can't even get inverted vs suspended right half the time - they're completely interchangeable in my mind, LOL! (I know they're not so no need to explain the difference on those)

Jen

Camelbacks are large hills and bunny hops are small. A camelback will nearly stall the train sometimes providing a pop of air in the front of the train going up and a pull over of air in the back. Shivering Timbers has the drop and three Camelbacks then an parabolic. The return run is a bunch of bunnies, Just like Magnum.

Magnum has a Pretzel turn around element. Not loop

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Question about Behemouth vs Nitro by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/22/13 10:49:51 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

Camelbacks are large hills and bunny hops are small. A camelback will nearly stall the train sometimes providing a pop of air in the front of the train going up and a pull over of air in the back. Shivering Timbers has the drop and three Camelbacks then an parabolic. The return run is a bunch of bunnies, Just like Magnum.

They called the bunnies on Magnum camel backs - that's why I'm questioning it. I call Magnum and Nitro's end hills bunny hills. I just want to make sure I can still scream "Bunnies!" and not have to change that to "Camels!". :-)

So I assume a pretzel turn around and bow tie are the same element as well?

Jen

Re: Question about Behemouth vs Nitro by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 7/22/13 11:12:40 PM
That show can't get terms right to save their lives. Camels are tall, bunnies are small. The same goes for the element terms.

Behemoth and Nitro are somewhat similar, but Behemoth is more a straight out-and-back, and Nitro is an L-shaped out-and-back. Nitro enters its helix from the bottom, and Behemoth from the top. And Nitro has its MCBR somewhat more in the middle, and Behemoth towards the end. Most B&M hypers have similar layouts, but each have their differences.

Re: Question about Behemouth vs Nitro by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 7/23/13 12:38:30 AM
GoYanks34 said:

And once again people who have never ridden or hardly ridden are labeled as enthusiasts

Jen

Its like crack Jen, one ride is all it takes to get you hooked. Hey at least they dont say "expert". But yeah, anyone even near the coaster is an enthusiast on that show. Like you said, cool show though!

Im far from an authority, but when i think camelback i think of large second hills like apollos chariot, 305, etc. Definitely thought the magnum hills at the end were bunnies. Btw what do you call the last drop on apollos chariot? Its neither it just drops - i love that drop!

* This post was modified at 7/23/13 12:42:21 AM *

Re: Question about Behemouth vs Nitro by alpengeistno3 at 7/23/13 2:17:04 AM
CoasterFanatic said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

I didn't call Magnum's turn a loop. America's Greatest Roller Coasters Vol 1 did. I'm trying to find it online, but it isn't there. I may have to dust off the VCR to vindicate myself.

For the record, loops are just circles of track. (for instance, Anaconda's post block-brake elements were called a Butterfly loop, Shockwave's downward spiral is called a horizontal loop. Of course the one we most associate with the term is the vertical loop. Somewhere I read the difference between a helix and a loop, but it is too late to go looking for that now. Maybe later.

Paul

Re: Question about Behemouth vs Nitro by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/23/13 9:46:55 AM
When I was preparing to visit CW in 2010, I was convinced from pictures that Behemoth was practically a Nitro clone. But as somebody mentioned above, it's essentially an out-and-back, and doesn't even approach Nitro for fun or thrills. I got no airtime on two rides, and found the ride rather boring.

CW's flats are its claim to fame..the coasters are mediocre (granted, I've not had the pleasure of meeting Leviathan.)

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Question about Behemouth vs Nitro by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 7/23/13 11:30:03 AM
beastmaster said:

When I was preparing to visit CW in 2010, I was convinced from pictures that Behemoth was practically a Nitro clone. But as somebody mentioned above, it's essentially an out-and-back, and doesn't even approach Nitro for fun or thrills. I got no airtime on two rides, and found the ride rather boring.

CW's flats are its claim to fame..the coasters are mediocre (granted, I've not had the pleasure of meeting Leviathan.)

Mike

OMG! Mike are you serious? Sure Behemoth was built 2 years after I moved away from Wonderland but the couple of dozen times I rode it in 2008 and 2012 it is far far from boring. I preferred the second row from the front and experienced floating airtime and forceful "G's". Actually last summer after 3 ride in a row I had to stop because I was completely out of coaster shape and could not take the "G's".

Regards,
Kevin Reid

Re: Question about Behemouth vs Nitro by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/23/13 11:46:04 AM
^^I rode front and back..I got no air, floater or otherwise. But then again, I've heard people say they get no air on Nitro. It feels like I spend about a tenth of that ride's time outta my seat.

Mike

Re: Question about Behemouth vs Nitro by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/23/13 1:55:56 PM
beastmaster said:

^^I rode front and back..I got no air, floater or otherwise. But then again, I've heard people say they get no air on Nitro. It feels like I spend about a tenth of that ride's time outta my seat.

Mike

That's what I was wondering about - if it's as good as Nitro. I guess not since we tend to agree on things like this. As long as there's no debate as to if it's a kiddie coaster we're good! ;-)

Jen

Re: Question about Behemouth vs Nitro *NM* by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/23/13 2:33:13 PM
We do? :)
Re: Question about Behemouth vs Nitro *NM* by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/23/13 2:36:12 PM
beastmaster said:

We do? :)

On the airtime that coasters deliver? Yes. I don't think we've ever disagreed on that aspect of any coaster we've both ridden. Unless you're going to try telling me Blackbeard has awesome airtime we're good. :-)

Jen

Re: Question about Behemouth vs Nitro *NM* by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/23/13 2:50:43 PM
Even *I* wouldn't say that..even if that might be the only coaster my body could handle at the moment :(

Well, I got a bit less than a month to heal before CP and Waldameer...I'll probably need a "practice session" in the meantime..

Re: Question about Behemouth vs Nitro *NM* by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/23/13 5:31:57 PM
I personally love Behemoth and Nitro, both are in my top 10 favorite steel coaster list. I know that I'm the minority but, I find that Behemoth has more intense air time than any other B&M hypercoaster. My first visit to Canada's Wonderland was in 2010 and I got 10 rides on Behemoth. We were there again this May and I got 3 rides. Both times Behemoth delivered insane air time. From my experiences on Behemoth this is how I would describe it. The first 2 hills are identical to Diamondback. Then you make the turn and hit 3 air time hills in row that are over the water. Those 3 hills are similar to Nitro's finish, but with so much more air time. Behemoth then ends simular to how Goliath at SF Over Georgia ends. On the show they called that helix dizzying, and that is exactly what it is. I prefer the back on Behemoth. On Nitro I like the front or the back. Nitro seems like a longer ride and seems taller, faster, and more powerful. Behemoth is just a lot of fun, sort of like a steel version of The Phoenix. Nitro feels more like a steel version of Shivering Timbers. I know some people with disagree with that assessment, but that is how I would describe Behemoth from the times that I've ridden it.
Re: Question about Behemouth vs Nitro by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/24/13 12:58:55 PM
The B&M non-looper hypers are all fun enough that I would never refuse a ride on any of them.
Would you?

Anyway, I'll add fuel to the Behemoth fire.
My only visit to CW was last September, the ACE event, which (of course) included ERT on Leviathan and Behemoth. When all was said and done, after multiple cycles on each, I was somewhat surprised to find myself favoring Behemoth. (And it's not just because it has those "V" trains). It's one of those things where if I were forced to choose just one ride on either, I would head to Behemoth.
Mike B.
Re: Question about Behemouth vs Nitro by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 7/24/13 2:05:03 PM
I brought this up in a conversation on facebook recently: If you want to see how much people differ in their coaster preferences, just look at their reactions to different B&M hypers.
Re: Question about Behemouth vs Nitro by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 7/24/13 2:28:37 PM
I have to agree with The Beastmaster Mike on this one. Behemoth seems like a waste of space now that Leviathan is there. It was pretty boring the last time I rode it. Especially the second half of the ride. Delivered no airtime. Just seemed like a drive in my car. Nitro is way better than Behemoth!!
Re: Question about Behemouth vs Nitro by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/24/13 10:36:35 PM
I'm going to have to plan a trip out there next year. I've always wanted to go and I now have to see what I think of the two B&M coasters there (never met one I didn't like). Of course I'll be Nitro biased, just like I'm KK biased since they're both near and dear to me heart but I'm curious to see which of you I'll agree with when it comes to Behemoth vs Leviathan vs Nitro! ;-)

For the record I really liked Diamondback although I've heard some negative reviews on here. I thought it was better than Apollo's Chariot but not better than Nitro FWIW.

Jen

Re: Question about Behemouth vs Nitro by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 7/25/13 12:05:07 AM
I've had wooden coaster-like temperamental experiences on Goliath(SFOG). I've ridden it 2006 and besides the first drop, I wasn't all that impressed.

Then I rode thing thing last year in 2012, and it seemed like a totally different coaster with airtime galore. It seems like the back deliver s the most air. It felt very similar to Intimidator.

I'm not wild about Apollo's Chariot, as it felt lackluster; So the next time I ride, I'm expecting it to blow me away. LOL

Re: Question about Behemouth vs Nitro by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/25/13 7:39:24 AM
GoYanks34 said:

I'm going to have to plan a trip out there next year. I've always wanted to go and I now have to see what I think of the two B&M coasters there (never met one I didn't like). Of course I'll be Nitro biased, just like I'm KK biased since they're both near and dear to me heart but I'm curious to see which of you I'll agree with when it comes to Behemoth vs Leviathan vs Nitro! ;-)

For the record I really liked Diamondback although I've heard some negative reviews on here. I thought it was better than Apollo's Chariot but not better than Nitro FWIW.

Jen

I think you would really like that park. There are a lot of coasters there. The downside is besides Behemoth and Leviathan, all the other coasters are mediocre. There are some fun coasters, but nothing that merits multiple rides. As Mike said, the flat ride collection is stellar. Canada's Wonderland is a beautiful park, but usually a crowded park. When Haley and I where there in May the park was dead, which from what I understand, is a rarity. Fast Lane does not include Behemoth or Leviathan. You must purchase a Fast Lane Plus in order to jump to the front of the line on those 2 coasters. Fast Lane does include some of the popular flat rides. Haley's pass port expires next summer, so we are considering going back next spring and then driving to LaRonde. If you do go in the spring or fall pack warm clothes. When we were there in May it was 2 degrees celsius in the morning. When I visited in September of 2010 is was really cold on that visit also. From what I've been told by park employees it has to be above 5 degrees celsius in order for Behemoth and Leviathan to operate. They will also close those 2 coasters due to high winds. I was told Leviathan valleyed the same day Millennium Force did this past spring. Fortunately it valleyed with an empty train. Since then the park has been enforcing those weather guidelines. Another thing to keep in mind is that Toronto and the surrounding area is highly populated. Expect long traffic delays on your way to the park in the morning. The park does accept American currency, so there's no need to stop for a currency exchange.