Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Cedar Point Trip Report 7-18/7-19

Cedar Point Trip Report 7-18/7-19

HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile

Posted:
7/21/13 at
8:54:06 PM

OK so let me start off by apologizing for the lack of photos in this post. I lost my phone while riding Magnum XL-200 (more on that later) and never found it. It fell out of a velcroed shut pocket. Enough of that, the trip was amazing and the park lived up to the hype. It was hot as hell, saw a few folks being carted off due to heat exhaustion/stroke - young people even. We went all Thursday morning, left during hot afternoon hours, came back around 5:30 to close, then came back friday around 5:30 to ride the ones we missed and reride a few. Anyway, I don't think you really care when i ate or played bottle rings so lets do a rundown of the coasters we rode and my ratings....Note that "Times Ridden" is more due to taking it easy on my fiancee than any indicator of the ride's desireability!!

Blue Streak 6/10. Times ridden - 1. Nothing too special here but definitely worth a ride. Reminded me of the Rebel Yell with a single track. The turn around at the far end was rough!!!

Cedar Creek Mine Ride 8/10. Times Ridden - 1. This is the type of ride that would have been torn down 10 years ago at other parks. I love that Cedar Point has a ton of these rides to discover. It's an Arrow steel coaster with no big drops or loops, but it's good fun! Sitting in the front gave it a bit of a wild mouse feeling as if we may go over the edge. nice and long, 2 lift hills. Thats not a typo, 8/10!!!

Corkscrew 5/10. Times Ridden - 1. Im sure this was fun at some point, but on this trip it did nothing for us. Typically rough arrow looper (but not overbearingly so). 50ft drop, loop, Corkscrew, corkscrew. No line for a reason. It gets a 5/10 instead of 4/10 due to the great view from the side walk, where you can stand in the inversions. Great to watch, uncomfortable and boring to ride.

Gatekeeper 9/10. Times Ridden - 3. SMOOTH. This is a very nice coaster. The first two inversions feel very unique, especially the first drop which turns you over before dropping you to the earth. The keyhole elements are executed well, convincingly scary on the ends. The restraints are comfortable until you get back to the station and realize they've tightened on you, making it difficult to breathe. Almost perfect, but didn't deliver the same thrill as MF or TTD. After this trip, B&M is no longer my favorite coaster manufacturer - Intamin gets it by a nose hair.

Gemini 5/10. Times Ridden - 1. Interesting. An arrow steel coaster disguised as a woodie! I feel i need another go on this one to properly rate it. It was a fun curiosity, but not much more. Only one side was running

Iron Dragon 7/10. Times Ridden - 2. Kudos to CP for keeping this around. It's a step down from the Big Bad Wolf, but still worthy and the finale over the water is fun. If you never got to ride the BBW, the large ending drop over the River made that ride great. Iron Dragon lacks that kind of thrill.

Magnum XL-200 6/10. Times Ridden - 2. Too rough for me. I lost my wallet and phone (wallet recovered) on this but i rerode it the next day to make sure that was not swaying my opinion. Rode in the back and in the front. The front killed my legs, same with the 50" kid riding with me. The back just beat me up. The drops in the tunnels were really cool, but i was taking too much of a beating to enjoy it. I've ridden the Pepsi Max Big One at Blackpool its opening season, and it was great. I imagine this just has not aged well.

Mantis 6/10. Times Ridden - 1. My fiance enjoyed this more than me i think. Maybe i'm a big puss, but this kicked my ass a bit. The first drop and loop were fun, but after that i found myself hoping it would end ASAP. Not my cup of tea

Maverick 9/10. SPOILERS - Times Ridden - 1. In spite of the head beating i took fro mthe upper portion of the restraints on this, it was a great coaster. The second indoor luanch was a great surprise, and aside from the quick turns it was fairly smooth. The 95 degree drop is great fun too. Very nice. Due to the nice length of the ride, i rate this above Fahrenheit i think by a hair

Mean Streak 8/10. Times Ridden - 1. I rode this in the front seat to save myself from the alleged beatings and it worked. Did not take a beating at all on this in the front. Great First Drop! After the first couple drops i did not find it that intense, but rather quite lengthy and enjoyable. Had to ride alone as i had warned my girl about the roughness. Nice woodie

Millenium Force 10/10. Times Rdden - 2. Perfect. Smooth, thrilling, great restraints. Since we all know plenty about this coaster, ill compare to Intimidator 305 at KD. They are equally great but different. 305 is more intense i'd say, with the fast bankings (which are well done, no pain) near the ground and the positive G's after the giga-drop. Millenium Force is a bit more conventional and without anything that pushes your body - only your mind!! The first drop is amazing with the view of Lake Erie. Fantastic, worthy of it's #1 rating

Raptor 7/10. Times Ridden - 1 (broke down before 2nd ride). Pretty nice inverted coaster. Nice and long. I'm finding i'm not a huge fan of B&M inverted coasters these days. I need to sit in the front, else i get queasy. This was my first ride at CP and i had to eat and drink afterwards to reset. Wanted to ride again to see if it was just me but it broke down while we stood in line. I appreciated the length of this and other coasters at CP.

Top Thrill Dragster 10/10 Times Ridden - 1 (broke down before 2nd ride). INTENSE. I thought it would be intense. It was even more intense!! WOW!! Once we started moving, every split second i was in more disbelief than the previous split second!! HOLY SH**!!!! not much to it but the feeling and intensity of 0-120mph makes up for it. WOW!! The pic I posted is of a guy after riding it. Poor bast***!!.

Wicked Twister 9/10 Times Ridden - 2. Very nice surprise!! This coaster kind of trims the fat and just leaves you with a thrill from start to finish. Smooth, Fun, Intense. Great ride.

All in all we loved Cedar Point!! They cram alot of rides into that peninsula!! As Arnold would say - "WE'LL BE BACH"

User Submitted Picture

* This post was modified at 7/21/13 8:54:28 PM *

Re: Cedar Point Trip Report 7-18/7-19 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/21/13 9:01:24 PM
Nice tr! *As stated before, I haven't been to this park yet, but would love to one of these years. As for rides, with all the rides there and the insane wait times. At least one ride each in a day is a good thing.

I miss BBW too and agree totally on your comment about the rhine river segment.
Other than KK having the otsr, I don't feel I'm missing too much compared to TTD other than the theming.

Sucks about losing your phone. Pity none have the straps anymore. At least you could have that clipped to something. I've rode a wide range of coaster all the way to KK and never lost an item yet (knock on wood). That's probably the only fear I have left: fear of stuff slipping out of the pockets than the ride itself.

* This post was modified at 7/21/13 9:11:48 PM *

Re: Cedar Point Trip Report 7-18/7-19 by leviathan leviathan Profile at 7/21/13 9:23:33 PM
Thanks for the TR! We haven't visited CP since MF was brand spankin' new...so I am REALLY anticipating a trip soon! My boys, who also love the big rides, are between 51-53" so we decided to hold off until next year.

I agree with your opinions on the older coasters mostly being a bit rough and not terribly exciting. But there are a handful that I have not ridden yet that I can't wait to!

I will say I do miss BBW at BGW. ID is a fun ride, but IMHO not in the same ballpark as BBW.

Re: Cedar Point Trip Report 7-18/7-19 by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 7/21/13 9:54:47 PM
Phil and Leviathan I'm sure you guys will have a blast! Like you say there are definitely some insane lines there (even on a thursday) but the good news is there are plenty of coasters that seem to be walk-on all the time. Gatekeeper was only a 15 minute wait around 9pm even with no fast pass, but during the day it was 1.5 hours at times.

We bought the fast passes for the first day. I am on the fence about their system. Its nice to be able to reride the same coasters, but the fact that you still may end up waiting 20 minutes on some rides was a downer, especially in 100 degree heat. But seeing the two hour waits on the same rides made it worth it. The rides with less than 20 minute fast pass wait, we did not need the fast pass as the line started after the fast pass entrance. It was useful on about 5 rides for us in which we waited 20 minutes instead of 1-2 hrs. Hershey park on the other hand, i never waited more than 2 trains for any ride, even the newest rides.

Re: Cedar Point Trip Report 7-18/7-19 by antikythera antikythera Profile at 7/21/13 10:55:53 PM
Nice trip report. Good to see that Top Thrill Dragster lived up to your expectations. I was disappointed that it was down when I went. I wanted to ride it before I ride Kingda Ka next month but I guess that's how life rolls.

Where did you sit on Millennium Force?

Re: Cedar Point Trip Report 7-18/7-19 by NotSo NotSo Profile at 7/21/13 11:26:42 PM
There is a big add covering most of your post, i wish i could read it all.
Re: Cedar Point Trip Report 7-18/7-19 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/21/13 11:43:07 PM
Good to know about some of the rides there. I guess I would probably buy a fast pass for CP as well. Hearing all the stories with TDD and MF, I don't think I would tolerate 2-3+ hour waits no matter how good the ride is.
Also good to know about Hershey as well. I'm hopefully heading there sometime next month. It's probably the first time in 20yrs (i know ages ago).
Re: Cedar Point Trip Report 7-18/7-19 by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 7/21/13 11:48:16 PM
Damn Ads! sorry about that. I just went to Hershey a few weeks back, I was impressed by the friendliness and cleanliness of the park in general - second only to BGW in just being a pleasant place to be! (out of the parks ive been to) have a great time!

* This post was modified at 7/21/13 11:49:21 PM *

Re: Cedar Point Trip Report 7-18/7-19 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/22/13 12:05:45 AM
Great TR! Glad you were able to withstand the heat and enjoy yourselves. That sucks about you're phone - Kingda Ka ate a pack of cigarettes on me once - they were in a front deep buttoned pocket, which was still buttoned when I returned to the station (and there really was not enough room around it for the pack to fall out). I guess he really needed a smoke, LOL! I went on El Toro once and after I locked my stuff in the locker and went to the station I realized I had my phone in my pocket and freaked out. I put it in my rear pocket as far down as I could and made sure my shirt was tucked under me tight as a back-up. Needless to say my hand was on my ass most of that ride.

I'm glad you loved TTD - KK is my favorite coaster and I just had a launch on Friday and it was a great one! (the launches actually vary in intensity believe it or not).

See - I told you Mean Streak wasn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. If I say a wooden coaster isn't bad then it's not - trust me! ;-)

I completely disagree with your assessment of Magnum - it's one of my favorite coasters in the park. The air time is ridiculous - the most of any coaster there hands down. Yes, it's a little rough but I think the hills/air time/elements makes any bit of banging worth it. Those bunnies at the end are amazing! I love any coaster that I can scream out "Bunnies!" on since I have an unnatural love for rabbits, LOL! Do it all the time on Nitro! :-)

I didn't ride mantis in May since stand-ups are extremely painful since I've had my ankle surgery (from the forces). I think all stand-ups are rough by nature but Mantis is tolerable in the front. I think men find it much worse than women for obvious reasons.

Oh - and I HATE Maverick, if I haven't made that clear already, LOL! I'll ride Farhenheit 1000 times before riding Maverick one more and I'm not a huge fan of Fahrenheit but I don't find it painful at all.

Agreed about them leaving the older coasters intact (for now at least). That's why I always ride Iron Dragon and try not to take it for granted since there will come a day when all coasters of that kind will be gone. It doesn't even compare to BBW but it's still iconic.

So which seat did you like best on GateKeeper? (rear left, rear left!!)

Jen

Re: Cedar Point Trip Report 7-18/7-19 by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 7/22/13 9:33:16 AM
Hi Jen! yeah the phone was a pain but i made sure to not let it ruin my trip. Its been a pain since i got back though! It was in my front velcro cargo pocket, and i was trying to stuff a drink in there at the last minute like an idiot, so it may not have been properly secured. Cigs made it though lol - which is good because i needed a few right then lol!

TTD has left an impression on me. I was reliving it on the way to work this morning. That launch is just amazing and im surprised they built a ride like it thinking the GP would enjoy it. Definitely want to get up to Kingda Ka now!!

As for Magnum - i can definitely see the potential there, especially with with all the airtime. Surprisingly the front was the worst spot for me with the lap bars killing my legs everytime we hit airtime so it ruined the fun! When I rode the back i lost my wallet so maybe i need to try that again!! Maverick for whatever reason i was willing to forgiver the headbashing, probably because it was smoother overall.

Gatekeeper, we tried back left, second to front, and second to back i think. I think i liked the back left the best but i couldn't give you details - i'm not always the most observant haha. Plus the last two rides i was working out how to keep that vest from getting too tight, distracted! Getting whipped over the first drop in the back was great though!

Back to work for me today...great vacation. The good news is my future wife has been on the net about coasters since we've returned. She's hooked!!! SCORE!!!

* This post was modified at 7/22/13 9:34:58 AM *

Re: Cedar Point Trip Report 7-18/7-19 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/22/13 8:37:32 PM
Great report. I always enjoy reading someone's report on their first visit to a park, especially a park like Cedar Point. I do agree that Magnum is a little rough, but I love that coaster. My first visit to Cedar was in 1989, Magnum's first year. I was 13 years old and waited 3 1/2 hours to ride Magnum. At the time Magnum was monumental and that ride transformed me into a rollercoaster enthusiast. With that said, Magnum does have a sentimental meaning to it and I always try to get at least 3 rides. I'm glad you had a great time at a great park. Looking forward to reading more of your trip reports.
Re: Cedar Point Trip Report 7-18/7-19 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/22/13 10:30:54 PM
frontrow said:

Great report. I always enjoy reading someone's report on their first visit to a park, especially a park like Cedar Point. I do agree that Magnum is a little rough, but I love that coaster. My first visit to Cedar was in 1989, Magnum's first year. I was 13 years old and waited 3 1/2 hours to ride Magnum. At the time Magnum was monumental and that ride transformed me into a rollercoaster enthusiast. With that said, Magnum does have a sentimental meaning to it and I always try to get at least 3 rides. I'm glad you had a great time at a great park. Looking forward to reading more of your trip reports.

I just watched the Coaster Wars episode from Sunday and Magnum won!! YAY!!

Jen

Re: Cedar Point Trip Report 7-18/7-19 by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 7/24/13 1:54:37 AM
Nice TR. Sounds like you had essentially the same impression of TTD that I had the first time I rode it. It's hard to imagine, though, that TTD would make anyone sick (as in your pic), unless of course he rode Raptor a couple of times beforehand! Also agree with you about Raptor - I ride in the first or 2nd row only in the middle seats, and I don't have any problems with dizziness.
Maverick would be a very good ride if not for the OTSRs - for me it totally kills the ride, as there aren't many coasters that I've ridden where I want to stop the ride in the middle and get the heck off, but that was one. I know a lot of people have love for Maverick, but it was too painful for me. However, I did get one ride (my first of only two ever) near the back, and it wasn't as bad (the head-banging) back there as in the front. But still not worth it. If you haven't ridden Maverick before and fear head-banging, whatever you do - don't ride in the front!
As for Magnum, it is just too bone-jarring for me (even in the front) to enjoy, despite the airtime, and besides - I have the perfect fix for my airtime addiction right up the road from me - Skyrush! :-D Or I can head a little further east and hit El Toro....
Re: Cedar Point Trip Report 7-18/7-19 by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 7/24/13 9:16:34 AM
Thanks for all your responses. I totally get how sentimental value just makes some coasters better - i feel the same about Grizzly and BBW before it was gone.

Top Thrill i was also surprised seeing someone sick. At the same time, it was so damn hot, others were being carted off by the Medical staff, so that probably played a role. I really wish Skyrush was not shut down (rain) the day we went Hershey!! hearing a few stories of pain, but it looked like a great ride. I definitely felt the OTSR bruises on Maverick, but the second launch was so cool i kinda forgot about it and left happy. As for Magnum, it's certainly not one i would skip, but then again that's most coasters!

Re: Cedar Point Trip Report 7-18/7-19 by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 7/24/13 12:50:55 PM
Nice TR! I like TR's when they are short and to the point like that!

I do however HIGHLY disagree (rather, just feel different) with the rating you gave Magnum XL-200. That was hands downnnn my favorite ride at the park. Maverick was great, gatekeeper was aight, TTD was a breath of fresh air compared to Kingda Ka, and Millenium Force was...disappointing.

I had dreamt about riding MF for years. Only seeing photos and just thinking about how intense it must be. In the end, it didn't provide that half ejector/healf floater air that B&M hypers give, so I was left wondering what the hell the intent of the ride was for. The view was spectaular! Can't deny that, and the ride is good, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it's as great as everyone says it is. I will be sure to ride it again sometime in the future, but for now it's not atop my list of favorites.

Again, awesome TR! and tell that girl next to her man who couldn't handle TTD that I'm single! ;P

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Cedar Point Trip Report 7-18/7-19 by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 7/24/13 2:16:30 PM
haha ill let the young lady know if i see her. I agree MF does not have much airtime, but i didn't find myself missing it (the airtime), it was just a great ride. The speed makes up for it i think.

Lots of differing opinions on Magnum. I'd probably enjoy it more in full SWAT gear! I wanted to like it, especially with the great second half bunny hills and airtime (in the tunnels no less). The problem is I always returned to the station beat up, in the thighs mostly.

So you enjoyed TTD much more the KK? Is that mainly due to the restraints?

Re: Cedar Point Trip Report 7-18/7-19 by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 7/24/13 9:57:36 PM
That's a huge shame that you missed Skyrush, it has even more airtime than Magnum (even though I can't ride Magnum anymore than once per visit, it is still worth riding for someone who has never been to CP before, for both its historical value and it also has an awesome view) and because you are pinned tight in the seat you don't get repeatedly slammed into the lapbar. Some people still find it painful, but if you didn't mind Maverick's head-battering (or could overlook it due to the enjoyment of the ride) you'll likely love Skyrush, unconventional restraints and all. The restraints can be a bit uncomfortable, especially when you come back into the station, but I wouldn't call them painful. Hopefully you will get another chance to go to HP and Skyrush will be open and the park won't be crowded so you can re-ride a few times if you like.

Millennium Force doesn't have too much in the way of airtime (I've gotten more on Apollo's Chariot and Nitro) but for me it's all about pure blistering speed, and yes, the view.