Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them?

Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them?

CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile

Posted:
7/20/13 at
5:45:54 PM

As I said in the Texas Giant thread, I've had restraints fail many times. I also pointed out, all but one was PTC trains.

Anyone else?

Granted Im 48 years old and have thousands of laps and mostly wooden coasters, Strangely these failures haven't happened on any of my most ridden woodies. I've also ridden with my brother where his failed at least twice that I can remember.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by NotSo NotSo Profile at 7/20/13 5:53:34 PM
I believe iv'e posted this before, but.. the old Demon coaster at KI (removed), Had a drop into a loop then back up a hill and stopped before doing the same loop in reverve. My father and i rode it and when we got to the other side my dad is raising and lowering his restraint while yelling that it wasn't locked. We did the backwards loop and got off. He said he never felt like he was going to fall out, but he was using his legs to pin himself.

I for one believe anything can go wrong on these rides, but that won't stop me from taking my family on them.

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 7/20/13 5:59:24 PM
I've never had a restraint fail on me. The most that's happened to me has been a restraint popping up a small amount due to it being apparently not fully ratcheted into position. Though now that I think about it, I may have had Mantis' restraint pop up on the lift hill, but (assuming I'm remembering something that actually happened) the belt stopped it from going all the way up, and all I did was pull it back down, and it functioned properly. But like I said, it's a very foggy memory, and may have just been the type of popping up I mentioned initially.
Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/20/13 6:16:06 PM
I've come back from many rides on Toro with my seat belt unbuckled, but that's about it.

I was also sent off twice without the restraint locked/on...some flat ride at Lakemont and Green Lantern last year. The crotch snap at the bottom of the restraint was left unbuckled..I couldn't maneuver it and the op skipped my row.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/20/13 6:23:22 PM
NotSo said:

I believe iv'e posted this before, but.. the old Demon coaster at KI (removed), Had a drop into a loop then back up a hill and stopped before doing the same loop in reverve. My father and i rode it and when we got to the other side my dad is raising and lowering his restraint while yelling that it wasn't locked. We did the backwards loop and got off. He said he never felt like he was going to fall out, but he was using his legs to pin himself.

I for one believe anything can go wrong on these rides, but that won't stop me from taking my family on them.

Whats funny is Fun Spot *Indiana* had one of these and that op would go check each restraint before launching the train back through the loop.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/20/13 6:41:57 PM
When I was young (around 8 or 9) I was on Lightnin Loops with my father and when we got to the other side I pushed up on my harness and it went up. Not all the way but moved substantially and when I pulled it down it was not clicking/locking where it should be. I was screaming at the ride op stationed there but she ignored me (and my dad). Don't even know if she had the power to stop the cycle or not. My dad grabbed as much of my shirt as he could and held on to it for dear life while we were going backwards. I was scared to death. When we got back to the first platform it was locked down again and I couldn't move it up until the train was unlocked. Bizarre. I don't know if it was ever really locked down properly or not before dispatch. I didn't test them as a kid like I do now and I don't remember if the ride op checked it properly or not (I do remember in later years they would literally walk by and touch the harness without pulling on them when "checking"). I don't think it went up far enough that I would have fallen out but it was enough to scare the crap out of me - I was a tall, skinny kid. My dad went over and was yelling at the ride ops after the ride. Don't know if they ever checked it or not.

That's the only time I had an issue with restraints and this was a very old coaster a long time ago. I rode it many times after that but I always checked the harness before we left the platform - lesson learned.

Jen

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/20/13 7:57:11 PM
Lightnin' Loops

On June 17, 1987, a 19-year-old woman died after falling from the Lightnin' Loops shuttle loop roller coaster.[20] An investigation by the State Labor Department concluded that the ride itself was operating properly, but that the ride operator started the ride without checking that all of the passengers were securely fastened by the safety harnesses. The Department's Office of Safety Compliance further concluded that the accident would not have occurred if proper procedures had been followed. The park was found to be in violation of the Carnival/Amusement Ride Safety Act and was subsequently charged with the maximum state fines of $1,000.

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/20/13 8:02:09 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

Lightnin' Loops

On June 17, 1987, a 19-year-old woman died after falling from the Lightnin' Loops shuttle loop roller coaster.[20] An investigation by the State Labor Department concluded that the ride itself was operating properly, but that the ride operator started the ride without checking that all of the passengers were securely fastened by the safety harnesses. The Department's Office of Safety Compliance further concluded that the accident would not have occurred if proper procedures had been followed. The park was found to be in violation of the Carnival/Amusement Ride Safety Act and was subsequently charged with the maximum state fines of $1,000.

That girl jumped in front of the closed, locked harness on the seat as the train was launching. It had nothing to do with a failure of the restraint although I thought it did when it first happened before the final report came out.

"In June of 1987, a passenger tried to board the train after the operator had started the dispatch, which could not be stopped once the motor was in motion. The rider was thrown from the train and killed in the fall from the upper loop. The ride was closed for months after the accident as safety modifications were made to the ride’s control systems and the restraint system. As a result, throughout the park rides were modified adding additional safety features to many attractions including new “enable dispatch” buttons which required both the ride’s attendants and the ride’s operator to hold down a button confirming the ride was ready to start. The shoulder harnesses of Lightnin’ Loops were modified with large handles being added, preventing guests from sitting in front of the harness. This would become a standard feature on all Arrow Dynamics coasters built for Six Flags ever since."

Jen

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by Timber-Rider at 7/20/13 8:31:28 PM
I had a restraint fail, but it was not on a roller coaster. I was on the spaceshot ride at Indiana Beach. I got on the ride, and I called over the ride op, and told him that my shoulder harness would not stay down after he locked it.

He said, don't worry, if the harness goes up, the belt will catch it and you'll be fine. I told him. I would really like to get off and get back in line, and he said, if he did that, everyone would have to get off, and the ride would have to be reset, all the restraints are locked.

So, I had faith in him. Well we shot up the tower, and as soon as we hit the top, my harness shot outward, and stopped going up as the belt caught, but it was almost sticking straight outward from my chest. I reached out and wrapped my arms around it, and pulled it back to my chest, and had a death grip on it.

Shot back up the tower a second time, with my arms wrapped around the harness, and it popped up again, lifting my butt right off the seat! When the ride came to a stop, I got off and bitched that guy out. What's wrong with you! Are you stupid or something! I almost fell out!!

He says, gees sorry dude. Then started loading the next group of people onto the ride. I immediately went to guest relations and complained. It didn't take long, before two security guards went over, and closed the ride down. That's just crazy.

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by Patripman Patripman Profile at 7/20/13 8:32:56 PM
in my opinion 9 out of 10 times a person is injured or killed on an amusement ride due to body size/weight, medical issues, stupidity, foolishness and ignorance. Thrill rides are designed to be safe but if you add in the issues I stated above nothing is safe.

patripman

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/20/13 9:04:41 PM
Patripman said:

in my opinion 9 out of 10 times a person is injured or killed on an amusement ride due to body size/weight, medical issues, stupidity, foolishness and ignorance. Thrill rides are designed to be safe but if you add in the issues I stated above nothing is safe.

patripman

Agreed

Jen

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/20/13 10:21:29 PM
GoYanks34 said:

CoasterFanatic said:

Lightnin' Loops

That girl jumped in front of the closed, locked harness on the seat as the train was launching. It had nothing to do with a failure of the restraint although I thought it did when it first happened before the final report came out.

"In June of 1987, a passenger tried to board the train after the operator had started the dispatch, which could not be stopped once the motor was in motion. The rider was thrown from the train and killed in the fall from the upper loop. The ride was closed for months after the accident as safety modifications were made to the ride’s control systems and the restraint system. As a result, throughout the park rides were modified adding additional safety features to many attractions including new “enable dispatch” buttons which required both the ride’s attendants and the ride’s operator to hold down a button confirming the ride was ready to start. The shoulder harnesses of Lightnin’ Loops were modified with large handles being added, preventing guests from sitting in front of the harness. This would become a standard feature on all Arrow Dynamics coasters built for Six Flags ever since."

Jen

Wow, I always wondered what the Hoops were about.

Weird, Why did that report I have make that seem as Factual?

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/20/13 10:38:22 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

Huh? I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here.

Jen

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/20/13 10:54:24 PM
GoYanks34 said:

CoasterFanatic said:

Jen

The hoops that Six Flags has on all their arrow looping coaster OTSRs. Too keep a small person from sitting down in front of the restraint.

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/20/13 11:11:45 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

GoYanks34 said:

CoasterFanatic said:

Jen

The hoops that Six Flags has on all their arrow looping coaster OTSRs. Too keep a small person from sitting down in front of the restraint.

OH! I thought you were trying to say "loops" and made a typo. LOL!

That incident is what single-handedly caused us all some additional pain during our riding "careers":

Before Lightnin Loops incident:

After Incident:

These restraints that were used from then on were much more painful than the original ones, that's for sure. I think that's why I remember it as not being a painful coaster since I didn't ride it as much in its later years. Couldn't they have just drilled handles in the originals instead of making them bigger and thicker (and if I recall correctly, harder)?

Jen

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 7/21/13 5:57:47 PM
I can honestly say I've never had a restraint fail nor have I seen one fail. Closest thing I've seen is restraints that were left to loose or not checked properly, but I've never seen a lap bar, otsr, or anything like that fail and release.
Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by alpengeistno3 at 7/21/13 6:07:44 PM
You know. In my 3 years working at Busch, we never had one fail when I was working there. But there has a reason that all US parks check them (over in Europe and Asia, it can be "every person for themselves"). And those red warning bands that other parks sometimes put on seats can't be just for decoration. So, I don't find it outrageous when someone claims they have had one fail.

Just doesn't seem like the case with the recent situation that sparked this thread.

Paul

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 7/21/13 11:40:58 PM
I remember a ride on Loch Ness as a youngster where i was convinced my harness was not secured. Whether there was any truth to that conviction i can't say. I just remember thinking "Hey this thing is moving!" and holding on for dear life.

Was it shockwave at KD where the guy died due to wrestling free from the restraints on purpose? I know one guy did the same and was OK.

I wouldn't be surprised if the operators have some fault here. IF the lady was too large, its not up her to know the ride specs. Someone needed to grow some balls and get her off the ride. Could even be a training issue. We've all seen ride ops that seem to not give a damn, which is why this is what comes to mind first. The seatbelt length restricting rider size makes perfect sense, given the ride manufacturers cannot rely on the operators at all.

* This post was modified at 7/21/13 11:42:17 PM *

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/22/13 4:13:07 AM
The whole problem with the Rider too big analogy is that its not true in the fact that the restraint is perfectly capable of restraining most any size rider.

THE POSITION OF THE RESTRAINT IS EVERYTHING! If the restraint can't be placed in the lap. Then its useless

Im more inclined to wonder about the continuous loading rushing the ops and not allowing time to clearly check that the bar was down in her lap.

As stated in other places, The bar has to be in a lowered locked positions for the lift-hill to work

I still don't know what happened, They'll be a investigation, I've got my ideas however anything is possible including restraint failure. Gerstlauer had a restraint break on Villain a few years back, the tail fell off Texas Rattler and now Smiler at Alton Towers is closed with a two inch gap in the track. Its probably going to take a couple months to get the details

HamptonRoadsRider said:

I remember a ride on Loch Ness as a youngster where i was convinced my harness was not secured. Whether there was any truth to that conviction i can't say. I just remember thinking "Hey this thing is moving!" and holding on for dear life.

Was it shockwave at KD where the guy died due to wrestling free from the restraints on purpose? I know one guy did the same and was OK.

I wouldn't be surprised if the operators have some fault here. IF the lady was too large, its not up her to know the ride specs. Someone needed to grow some balls and get her off the ride. Could even be a training issue. We've all seen ride ops that seem to not give a damn, which is why this is what comes to mind first. The seatbelt length restricting rider size makes perfect sense, given the ride manufacturers cannot rely on the operators at all.

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 7/22/13 9:19:46 AM

THE POSITION OF THE RESTRAINT IS EVERYTHING! If the restraint can't be placed in the lap. Then its useless

Which would be directly related to the size of the rider correct? When i picture i rider being too big, i don't see the restraint failing due to weight, i see the restraint half closed over the upper chest. i think that's what most people mean when they say "Her weight may have been an issue" or "She may have been too big". Again to reiterate, certainly not her fault if so.

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/22/13 9:44:41 AM
HamptonRoadsRider said:

Which would be directly related to the size of the rider correct? When i picture i rider being too big, i don't see the restraint failing due to weight, i see the restraint half closed over the upper chest. i think that's what most people mean when they say "Her weight may have been an issue" or "She may have been too big". Again to reiterate, certainly not her fault if so.

Except if you are aware of it and the Op is aware of it, The restraint can be put in the correct position. If it's left on the gut, Its useless. I explained in other threads that I was bigger than the guy on S:ROS (Bizzaro) SFNE when I rode it in 2001, If the op pushed the restraint, it went to my lap. However a couple times they didn't and going up the lift, I noticed it a couple inches off my lap and pulled it down myself.

Im not saying I disagree with a belt to restrict size. I am saying they can be ridden safely providing the bar is in correct position no matter what the size (Within reason) of the rider

In all honesty its the Ops judgement thats the final say and theres no room for the PC or not to offend someone. Better to hurt feelings than end their lives.

I'd venture to guess tens of thousands her size or larger have ridden in the year and a half its been open, Tens of thousands of times that bar was placed right or they got lucky. It only takes once.

We still don't know for sure.

Im already hearing calls for more regulation etc. Im not sure on this, Its a parks best interest to keep rides as safe as possible. A Accident is the worst PR you could ever get. Of course I've visited a couple small parks that the safety of things were in question from the time of arrival.

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 7/22/13 10:00:35 AM
I've had a few instances where, like others, I've had PTC restraints pop up during the ride.

Rebel Yell still scares me from time to time because of all the airtime hills.

I've had a few instances where I had to brace myself so I wouldn't go flying up and out.

To be honest, I kind of loathe PTC trains. I understand they are kind of the industry standard, but I just don't trust them, especially if they have been in use for a while.

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 7/22/13 10:02:32 AM
^^^ Gotcha fanatic i see what you are saying now. Totally agree about the PC thing, can't be worried about feelings when lives are at stake.
Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/22/13 11:45:11 AM
I've never experienced a restraint failure during a ride; not quite anyway.

Once on Medusa at SFGAdv (pre-Bizarro reincarnation) just as the train hit the lift hill my restraint popped up to where the attached belt caught it. While boarding I had pulled it down and it clicked into place just like always. As all enthusiasts do, I made sure of that.* But on the lift hill it clicked back into place like normal and I had the usual great ride.

* unlike the sometimes or oftentimes or most-of-the-time clueless general public

Mike B.
Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 7/22/13 12:31:04 PM
I've also been on Mind Eraser at SFA where the harness hasn't clicked down all the way before or during the ride, but it wasn't loose enough for me to fall out.
Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/22/13 1:57:57 PM
HamptonRoadsRider said:

^^^ Gotcha fanatic i see what you are saying now. Totally agree about the PC thing, can't be worried about feelings when lives are at stake.

I've only tried one ride I didn't think I was safe on and I refused to actually ride it because of it.

The SkyScraper at Timberfalls Adventure Golf In the Dells. That thing had lap and shoulder straps and I sat my fat butt in it. Had the guy strap me down really good and then I had him flip the car over with me in it. I'll just say there were several inches of play in them belts even though he pulled them very tight.

I said no sir, Don't think I'll ride today, he said it's perfectly safe but I said no. Took my ticket back down and got a refund as I had asked them if I couldn't ride it could I get one.

Whats funny is, Avalanche/Hellcat felt like it was going to toss me every ride on them double humps next to the lifthill. I loved it!

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/22/13 2:09:50 PM
antikythera said:

I've had a few instances where, like others, I've had PTC restraints pop up during the ride.

Rebel Yell still scares me from time to time because of all the airtime hills.

I've had a few instances where I had to brace myself so I wouldn't go flying up and out.

To be honest, I kind of loathe PTC trains. I understand they are kind of the industry standard, but I just don't trust them, especially if they have been in use for a while.

See heres where we dissagree while still agreeing that PTC's rathcheting lapbars are junk.

Older rides at best hit 0g and not exerted negative Gs. You could ride them with no restraint at all (Excluding floors, seats and sides) and you would not come out of them. You float when the train floats. you feel gravity as the train feels gravity but no force is extreme.

Todays scream machines go past vertical/horizontal and have greater than parabolic curves which causes NEGATIVE G or great force to be exerted on the rider versus what the train is actually doing. The train has UPSTOPS, YOUR UPSTOP IS THE RESTRAINT, It cannot fail or you will be dumped.

Even older looping rides vertical loops and corkscrews, you could ride without restraints. The possitive gravity provided by inertia would keep you in. YOU CAN'T SAY THAT ABOUT A COBRA ROLL. The waist has to be contained on all four sides and in some instances the shoulder area to keep your body from twisting or bending.

Rebel yell, while you do float off the seat, you wouldn't come out of. especially with the high back seats. There's been very few true non gimmick woodies that I feel could throw you and you'd actually have to be doing something wrong for them to do so.

Ride safely, The ride itself could care less if you do.

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by antikythera antikythera Profile at 7/22/13 3:05:06 PM
Thanks for the break down. Helps me to see it more clearly.

Something about Rebel Yell always throws all this logic out the door.

I'm partially going to blame it on my aforementioned disdain for PTC trains which in turn probably stems from my lack of riding classic wooden coasters.

That and some unaddressed fear from when I was a kid. I remember riding Comet at HP as a child and being terrified throughout the whole thing.

Even this past Spring, I was a bit overwhelmed by the thing as it ripped through the course.

* This post was modified at 7/22/13 3:07:02 PM *

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by alpengeistno3 at 7/23/13 2:44:32 PM
I think I have told this story here before. When I was working Drachen Fire, we had a young gentleman come to board the ride. He had to be high school age and was huge. Not in a fat way, but very tall (maybe 6'8), wide shoulders and very muscular. (If he didn't go on to play pro football, something must be wrong.)

Anyway, he came to ride DF and he sat in the back of a car (I think it was car 6 because it was a walk-on). He was barely able to get his legs inside the car as he was seated in a crouching position. His huge shoulders filled the entire seat. When he pulled down the shoulder harness, the bottom of it was just below his chin so it looked like it was barely closed.

I don't remember if I was the one who checked him, but I asked "are we going to let him ride like that?" (this was before Alpengeist was put in, so sending someone on the "walk of shame" was unheard of then at BGW). The lead op said he was fine, so we sent him on. I really thought we would get our first pedal check on the lift and have to go up there and get him. (Arrows have a sensor at the base of the lift to detect if a harness is open. It's in the SOP, but we never had it happen when I was there.)

He rode, he came back, he even went around and got in line to ride again (but went to the front of the car so he could put his knees in the nose cone section to allow a little more room.)

The point is that ops are not always in a position to kick someone off a ride just because it looks like something is wrong. If the safety measures put in effect by the park say the person can ride, then there is little they can do to tell a person "no".

Paul

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/23/13 3:35:18 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

I think I have told this story here before. When I was working Drachen Fire, we had a young gentleman come to board the ride. He had to be high school age and was huge. Not in a fat way, but very tall (maybe 6'8), wide shoulders and very muscular. (If he didn't go on to play pro football, something must be wrong.)

Anyway, he came to ride DF and he sat in the back of a car (I think it was car 6 because it was a walk-on). He was barely able to get his legs inside the car as he was seated in a crouching position. His huge shoulders filled the entire seat. When he pulled down the shoulder harness, the bottom of it was just below his chin so it looked like it was barely closed.

I don't remember if I was the one who checked him, but I asked "are we going to let him ride like that?" (this was before Alpengeist was put in, so sending someone on the "walk of shame" was unheard of then at BGW). The lead op said he was fine, so we sent him on. I really thought we would get our first pedal check on the lift and have to go up there and get him. (Arrows have a sensor at the base of the lift to detect if a harness is open. It's in the SOP, but we never had it happen when I was there.)

He rode, he came back, he even went around and got in line to ride again (but went to the front of the car so he could put his knees in the nose cone section to allow a little more room.)

The point is that ops are not always in a position to kick someone off a ride just because it looks like something is wrong. If the safety measures put in effect by the park say the person can ride, then there is little they can do to tell a person "no".

Paul

Good Point Paul, But Answer me this as I rode Drachen about twelve times (After the one inversion removal) Without a restraint and a rider sitting and not doing anything out of the ordinary, Would Drachen Fire dump a rider? IMHO NO! Big difference in yesterdays rides and todays rides.

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by alpengeistno3 at 7/23/13 5:55:11 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

Good Point Paul, But Answer me this as I rode Drachen about twelve times (After the one inversion removal) Without a restraint and a rider sitting and not doing anything out of the ordinary, Would Drachen Fire dump a rider? IMHO NO! Big difference in yesterdays rides and todays rides.

The whole point of rides are to make you feel you are in danger without actually putting you in danger. I don't know anything about the physics on a ride like El Toro, Skyrush, or NTG, but older rides like Rebel Yell, Loch Ness, BBW, SDL, etc. were designed to give you the feeling that you could be thrown out without actually producing any force that could actually do that if you are holding on. (or even just sitting there)

The smartest thing B&M did with their hypers was canting the seats back so most people's feet could not touch the floor. By doing that, you have no choice but to stay behind the restraint, as you cannot straighten your legs out to fly out from under it. Other companies could benefit from finding a way to incorporate that aspect of their design into their future trains.

Paul

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 7/24/13 12:57:09 PM
In my personal experience I've never had a restraint come loose.

Definitely been on more than a thousand circuits and it's never happened to me to my knowledge.

I was however on El Toro once last season where the train actually stopped on the lift hill, and it fell back about 6 inches to a foot. The train laid still for about 5 or so seconds, went up the rest of the hill (about the last 10%), and then we went slowlyyyyyyy around the curve up top as our speed was slowed from the lift hill mishap. People were FREAKED, but I was just worried about the train making it back to the station haha. We made it, but the ride was slower.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/24/13 8:39:42 PM
mugen828 said:

I was however on El Toro once last season where the train actually stopped on the lift hill, and it fell back about 6 inches to a foot. The train laid still for about 5 or so seconds, went up the rest of the hill (about the last 10%), and then we went slowlyyyyyyy around the curve up top as our speed was slowed from the lift hill mishap.

Happens semi-often. I've had at least a dozen rides over the years where it happened...including twice in one day.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/24/13 11:18:32 PM
beastmaster said:

mugen828 said:

I was however on El Toro once last season where the train actually stopped on the lift hill, and it fell back about 6 inches to a foot. The train laid still for about 5 or so seconds, went up the rest of the hill (about the last 10%), and then we went slowlyyyyyyy around the curve up top as our speed was slowed from the lift hill mishap.

Happens semi-often. I've had at least a dozen rides over the years where it happened...including twice in one day.

Mike

That's because security has to be called to pry you off that right rear seat so you naturally ride more often than most and therefore have a higher potential for mishaps. :-P

Jen

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 7/25/13 10:04:33 AM
beastmaster said:

mugen828 said:

Mike

Interesting... It could just be a hiccup in that super fast lift every now and then. Which imo is not good! haha Why am I laughing?! what is wrong with me?!

It was a "whoa" moment for me and my friend. Hope it's not something that keeps happening. I want El Toro to be open for many many years to come.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by chris92se chris92se Profile at 7/26/13 12:44:51 AM
I have never encountered a problem with a restraint, nor has my wife. I think we are very average size for the rides, though. I am 6-0, 180 lbs and my wife is 5-8, 140 lbs. That has to be pretty much right in the center of what most restraints are designed for.

I also have to say that it doesn't really concern me a lot and I feel like roller coasters are very safe.

Several coworkers gave me crap about riding coasters once this happened (I just returned from vacation to SFMM). I told them it was more likely they would be killed driving home from work than me getting seriously injured or killed on a roller coaster.

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by zachb2328 at 7/26/13 6:08:21 PM
I'm 13 and last year my camp brought me to Six Flags New England. I was on the Goliath ride and my shoulder pulldown restraint un-clicked two times and I got so scared. I got of the ride and told the woman working there and she told me that was normal. REALLY? You could have told me that BEFORE I got on the ride.
Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/9/13 11:25:54 PM
Well at Kings Island today we were waiting for back seat on Racer Red side and were the next to board. When the train returned a 130 lb. teenager was holding his lap bar up in the air. The restraint came loose from the housing and he handed the restraint to the ride op. No was injured, thankfully. You can see a photo of this on my Facebook page under Kenneth Galante. I'll comment more on this later or you can read my comments on that Facebook photo.
Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by alpengeistno3 at 8/10/13 1:19:50 AM
"That junk that PTC puts out!" said no coaster enthusiast, EVER!!

Paul

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/14/13 8:22:12 PM
frontrow said:

Well at Kings Island today we were waiting for back seat on Racer Red side and were the next to board. When the train returned a 130 lb. teenager was holding his lap bar up in the air. The restraint came loose from the housing and he handed the restraint to the ride op. No was injured, thankfully. You can see a photo of this on my Facebook page under Kenneth Galante. I'll comment more on this later or you can read my comments on that Facebook photo.

We got home from our coaster trip yesterday afternoon. I just got caught up reading all the newer posts. I'm surprised that there haven't been more comments about this, especially being that it was so unusual. I'm planning on writing my trip reports in the near future, but it may take a few days.

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/14/13 8:33:04 PM
frontrow said:

frontrow said:

We got home from our coaster trip yesterday afternoon. I just got caught up reading all the newer posts. I'm surprised that there haven't been more comments about this, especially being that it was so unusual. I'm planning on writing my trip reports in the near future, but it may take a few days.

Since I commented on Facebook I didn't here. You need to post the picture for full effect. I wish the pic you tried to take of the actual lap bar came out - that would have been great!

Jen

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/14/13 10:56:29 PM
GoYanks34 said:

frontrow said:

frontrow said:

Since I commented on Facebook I didn't here. You need to post the picture for full effect. I wish the pic you tried to take of the actual lap bar came out - that would have been great!

Jen

There are some members that I'm friends with on Facebook like you. Paul. and Drachen that saw my post. My photobucket account is messed up, so I can't post photos. The other photos I took you can't tell what what I'm trying to photograph. It's very dark and I was too far away. I'm just very surprised this happened and we witnessed it. It's just ironic that I was blaming blaming the restraints on the Texas Giant incident and then witnessed a restraint failure, and have proof. I guess people don't like seeing reality. Maybe if the kid was 330 lbs instead of 130 lbs. there would be more discussion.

Re: Honest Question, Who's had a restraint fail on them? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/14/13 11:08:10 PM
frontrow said:

There are some members that I'm friends with on Facebook like you. Paul. and Drachen that saw my post. My photobucket account is messed up, so I can't post photos. The other photos I took you can't tell what what I'm trying to photograph. It's very dark and I was too far away.

You can post pics from Facebook - just right click and copy location.

I'm just very surprised this happened and we witnessed it. It's just ironic that I was blaming blaming the restraints on the Texas Giant incident and then witnessed a restraint failure, and have proof. I guess people don't like seeing reality. Maybe if the kid was 330 lbs instead of 130 lbs. there would be more discussion.

Yep - because no one was hurt (Thank God) no one really knows about it. There were seat belts and it was a racing woodie so chances are that would have been enough (but I'm sure that kid crapped his pants - I know I would have!) I still think it's rare but of course it can happen when it's simply a mechanical failure and no person is at fault whatsoever. I don't think that's what happened in Texas though.

Jen