Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Anti SeaWorld Documentary

Anti SeaWorld Documentary

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
7/20/13 at
3:57:09 AM

There's an anti SeaWorld documentary called 'Blackfish' (in theatres July 19). It focuses on Tilikum(the orca who killed three people) and the dangers of keeping killer whales in captivity. I'm definitely not the political activist type, and I'm most certainly not telling you to boycott SeaWorld or whatever, just intrigued with the polarizing topic of whales in captivity.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OEjYquyjcg

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackfish_%28film%29

* This post was modified at 7/20/13 3:57:59 AM *

Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/20/13 11:26:34 AM
They do realize orcas are mammals right? But i guess being a propoganda, it doesn't matter,
Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/21/13 9:35:04 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

They do realize orcas are mammals right?
But i guess being a propoganda, it doesn't matter,

Good one!

Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/21/13 4:03:04 PM
:) And they say tv shows aren't informative.

*remembered that correction from the marine biologist episode of Seinfeld.

Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/21/13 5:01:06 PM
The sea was angry that day, my friends.
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/21/13 5:08:09 PM
Another interesting note is that the Killer Whale is not a whale at all - it's in the dolphin family.

Jen

Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/21/13 8:27:43 PM
Lol, yup best line mike.

Lol, yes Jen I know 'killer whales' have more in common with dolphins than actual whales. I meant in terms of people calling those animals as fish as well as to reference a scene from Seinfeld. ;)

Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/21/13 8:31:54 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Lol, yup best line mike.

Lol, yes Jen I know 'killer whales' have more in common with dolphins than actual whales. I meant in terms of people calling those animals as fish as well as to reference a scene from Seinfeld. ;)

I knew exactly what you were talking about - I loved that show! Just thought I'd add some more fun facts to the discussion without taking it to the animal rights level that no one really wants to debate on a roller coaster discussion forum. At least I don't. :-)

Jen

Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/21/13 9:17:14 PM
haha. it's all good :)
Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Kdunn at 7/24/13 9:37:11 PM
I don't like keeping orca in captivity. They have a darasticly shorter life spand and less water to swim in.
Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/24/13 12:04:21 AM
If you want of check out 'Blackfish' it will air today (10/24/13) 9:00PM EST on CNN.
Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/29/13 10:12:49 PM
Having finally seen it today I admit I had reservations about it being a propaganda piece, but it does raise some questions about what they do regarding the orcas. Not enough for me to join peta in saying release all the orcas, but I won't be enjoying the shows like I used to.
Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/30/13 12:29:15 AM
^^^I agree. I don't even know if I can watch a show again. Basically male orcas have to live in seclusion for their safety (because they get attacked by females) and are just kept mainly for mating. Since Sea World isn't really defending themselves (with debate) the 'truth to propaganda' ratio to Blackfish is obviously lop-sized, with the truth standing out IMO.
Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Patripman Patripman Profile at 10/30/13 1:09:19 AM
I hope everyone understands it is a sweeps period for all the networks so they will pull out all the stops and do these "traumatizing" shows for ratings.

patripman

Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by depotrat at 10/30/13 6:00:19 AM
^^ You should never assume that what is said/shown is true because the other party does not respond. Clearly, Seaworld has decided that responding only brings more attention to the situation and it is in their best interest not to get into that back and forth.

That doesn't mean the material is false either. It just means that you will have to use other methods to determine the validity of material.

Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Coaster316 at 10/30/13 7:59:11 AM
This may seem terrible, but I'm going to Sea World in about a month. I want the killer whales and other animals to jump, splash and otherwise entertain me.

I didn't see the entire documentary but most of what I watched I sat there and thought, "so what?" The one guy, I think from OSHA, said that we learned nothing in 20 years because a tragic event happened nearly 20 years to the day after a similar event. Well, I'd say if its 20 years between events, we've learned quite a bit about avoiding it. If it happened every year for 20 years, or every other year, or every 5 years, then there's nothing learned. But 20 years apart? That's a good record, as far as I'm concerned.

Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/30/13 4:23:58 PM
^ Nothing wrong with that. I too will still watch the shamu shows because they are great. I watched this documentary, but it's not going to put me off on returning back to Sea World. Because let's face it, even if they were to release the orcas back to the oceans, they don't have the instincts/training to survive in the wild. And like any zoo/aquariums, they do provide a decent service to get people to respect the animals in the wild (conservation stuff).

As for the sweeps, wasn't aware this was the season, but then again I haven't watched the regular channels as regularly as I used to (not to mention the big thing going on is the World Series,grrr*)

*don't care for either of the 2 teams playing.

Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/30/13 4:41:15 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

*don't care for either of the 2 teams playing.

Speak for yourself :)

Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/30/13 4:56:09 PM
lol, I am, but I'm sure Jen would agree as well. I will never root for any Boston area teams. I'd root for the Mets over Boston if they ever played each other again.
Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/30/13 4:58:57 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

lol, I am, but I'm sure Jen would agree as well. I will never root for any Boston area teams. I'd root for the Mets over Boston if they ever played each other again.

Absolutely! Every day of the week and twice on Sunday! :-)

Jen

Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/30/13 7:57:11 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Well, so would I. But since that's not an option this year (or for the foreseeable future).......

Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/30/13 10:05:18 PM
depotrat said:

^^ You should never assume that what is said/shown is true because the other party does not respond. Clearly, Seaworld has decided that responding only brings more attention to the situation and it is in their best interest not to get into that back and forth.

That doesn't mean the material is false either. It just means that you will have to use other methods to determine the validity of material.

Fair enough.

Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 12/10/13 9:26:28 AM
Multiple bands have canceled their concerts at Sea World admist the Blackfish documentary; Including the Barenaked Ladies, Willie Nelson, and Heart. To say that Blackfish had an impact on relations with Sea World is an understatement.

www.cnn.com/2013/12/08/showbiz/seaworld-heart-blackfish/

* This post was modified at 12/10/13 10:42:18 AM *

Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by RobLec RobLec Profile at 12/12/13 11:31:21 PM
Overbanked said:

Multiple bands have canceled their concerts at Sea World admist the Blackfish documentary; Including the Barenaked Ladies, Willie Nelson, and Heart. To say that Blackfish had an impact on relations with Sea World is an understatement.

I've been watching the Orlando local news for the past two weeks and they've recently reported a couple more musicians who have cancelled. Today it was Trisha Yearwood. SW claims these groups overlook the parks conservation efforts.

Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/13/13 3:56:47 PM
Even with all these special concerts being canceled, what's the big impact compared to releasing all the orcas somewhere else? People still comes to the park to see the Shamu shows, so I don't think it's going to make a difference about the orcas there.
Not saying I side totally with SW here, but they do some decent conservation work like with the sea turtles and manatees. Stuff like that can't be cheap.
Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 12/16/13 8:37:03 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Even with all these special concerts being canceled, what's the big impact compared to releasing all the orcas somewhere else?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding here. Releasing the orcas would essentially be a death sentence to those whales. It was tried once before (remember Free Willy?) and after a huge amount of time and expense attempting to train the whale how to live in the wild and adapt it still ended up dying when it didn't have to.

And that also completely overlooks all of the learning and education about the animals that has been accomplished through programs like Sea World's as well.

But then the activists don't want to be bothered to think about the whole picture, and certainly not what may actually be better for the animals.

I still remember years back when one of these groups succeeded in getting deer hunting banned in an area (I think it was part of California). The deer population boomed- and they quickly overpopulated and started starving themselves to death. Wasn't pretty. They allowed deer hunting again shortly after that.

Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 12/16/13 9:53:28 AM
No, I mean that's basically what the activists want: relocate the orcas into some isolated area like the 'free willy' orca. It still won't know how to survive in the wild. I'm not saying Sea World is perfect, but I think they do more good than harm and to support the conservation work they do, 'circus' work is needed to draw in the crowds. I'm just saying these canceled concerts are just bs. SW isn't going to change just because some music singers are in an uproar over what they saw in that film.
Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 12/21/13 12:16:53 AM
Sea World posted this response this morning:

SeaWorld: The Truth Is in Our Parks and People

An Open Letter from SeaWorld’s Animal Advocates

Inaccurate reports recently have generated questions about SeaWorld and the animals in our care. The truth is in our parks and people, and it’s time to set the record straight.

The men and women of SeaWorld are true animal advocates. We are the 1,500 scientists, researchers, veterinarians, trainers, marine biologists, aquarists, aviculturists, educators and conservationists who have dedicated our lives to the animals in our care as well as those in the wild that are injured, ill or orphaned. Whether it’s a sea lion, manatee, sea turtle or whale, we are on call 24/7.

Here are some important facts about SeaWorld and our work:

SeaWorld does not capture killer whales in the wild. Due to the groundbreaking success of our research in marine mammal reproduction, we haven’t collected a killer whale from the wild in 35 years. In fact, only two of the whales in our care were collected by SeaWorld and they continue to be in our care today. In addition, our research has led to a much greater understanding of whales in the wild, giving researchers important scientific insights surrounding marine mammal reproduction.

We do not separate killer whale moms and calves. SeaWorld recognizes the important bond between mother and calf. On the rare occasion that a mother killer whale cannot care for the calf herself, we have successfully hand raised and reintroduced the calf. Whales are only moved to maintain a healthy social structure.

SeaWorld invests millions of dollars in the care of our killer whales. In the last three years alone, we have invested $70 million in our killer whale habitats and millions of dollars annually in support of these facilities. Our habitats are among the largest in the world today. They are state-of-the-art, multimillion-gallon environments of cooled and filtered water that allow for the highest and safest standards of care. We give our animals restaurant-quality fish, exercise, veterinary care, mental stimulation, and the company of other members of their species.

SeaWorld’s killer whales’ life spans are equivalent with those in the wild. While studies continue to define the average life span of killer whales in the wild, the most recent science suggests that our killer whales’ life spans are comparable — indeed, five of our animals are older than 30, and one of our whales is close to 50.

The killer whales in our care benefit those in the wild. We work with universities, governmental agencies and NGOs to increase the body of knowledge about and the understanding of killer whales — from their anatomy and reproductive biology to their auditory abilities. Some populations of wild killer whales have been classified as endangered or threatened, demonstrating the potential critical nature of these research opportunities. This type of controlled research and study is simply not possible in the wild, and has significant real-world benefits to the killer whales that live there.

SeaWorld is a world leader in animal rescue. The millions of people who visit our parks each year make possible SeaWorld’s world-renowned work in rescue, rehabilitation and release. We are constantly innovating when it comes to this care: Our veterinarians have created nursing bottles to hand-feed orphaned whales, prosthetics to save sea turtles, and a wetsuit to help injured manatees stay afloat during rehabilitation. Whether it’s the result of natural or man-made disasters, SeaWorld is always on call and often the first to be contacted. We have rescued more than 23,000 animals with the goal of treating and returning them to the wild.

Naturalist Baba Dioum put it best when he said, “In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught.”

At SeaWorld, this has been our calling since we first opened our doors 50 years ago. It is a responsibility we do not take lightly. More than 400 million guests have visited SeaWorld. We are proud that their experiences here have a lasting and positive impact on them, and on the world in which we live.

The truth about SeaWorld is right here in our parks and people. Our guests may enter our gates having never given much thought to the remarkable animals in our oceans. When they leave with a greater appreciation for the importance of the sea, educated about the animals that live there and inspired to make a difference, we have done our job.

http://seaworld.com/en/ourcare/Letter?from=Front_Page_Main_Promo

You can see the letter here

Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Frontrider Frontrider Profile at 1/8/14 5:38:25 AM
Excellent response from Sea World.

I agree with Sea World on this issue. And not because they are a theme park, I'm a park fan, and have a Platinum Pass for the Sea World/Busch Gardens parks.

I am actually a big animal fan, a vegetarian, and consider myself a supporter of animal rights. But I think a lot of animal groups (like PETA) go too far in their anti-zoo position.

I think the good that the zoological community does in support of animals FAR outweighs whatever bad has been done in the past. For instance:

* Sea World does not capture animals from the wild. That hasn't happened in decades. If they released the captive-bred whales back into the wild now, they probably wouldn't survive.

* Sea World rescues, rehabilitates, and releases hundreds of animals back into the wild every year, from manatees and sea turtles to dolphins and orcas

* Many animal species that are already extinct in the wild would be completely extinct if it weren't for zoos and aquariums.

* Education and interaction. The role that these play in causing zoological park visitors to care about animals cannot be underestimated. For instance, I had wanted to become a vegetarian in theory for years based on things I had seen or read, but it was the personal bond I felt when interacting with 2 petting zoo cows (Tulip and Rosebud) at the DC National Zoo in 2007, that inspired me enough and finally gave me the fortitude to put those ideals into practice, and I was able to quit "cold turkey" without any relapses since. If I don't make that connection with those animals at that moment, I may still be eating meat today.

* This post was modified at 1/8/14 5:48:54 AM *

"If it isn't wood, it's not as good!"
Favorite wood and overall favorite - Voyage, Holiday World
Favorite steel - Nitro, Great Adventure
Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Mikey_Mad Mikey_Mad Profile at 1/16/14 12:27:35 AM
My parents did a whale site seeing trip on Puget Sound many years ago. The naturalist were vocal at that time about the "evils" of Sea World. I am surprised it took this long for a "Blackfish" film to be made. The sad thing about Sea World is that it is a corporation, more interested in gate receipts and selling the plush animals, anything which makes their spreadsheets look good.
Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/16/14 9:07:11 PM
I'm glad the film didn't get the Oscar nomination I'm sure the producers wanted desperately.
Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary *NM* by RobLec RobLec Profile at 1/16/14 10:09:33 PM
Ditto!
Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Coaster316 at 1/17/14 7:47:17 AM
The CEO of Sea World Entertainment was on CNBC Wednesday and was interviewed by the normally good Bill Griffeth. Bill asked him what Sea World is doing to combat the bad PR they are getting from the movie. He said that they disagreed with the claims of the movie and were continuing to do the good work they do.

Bill followed up with the same question and the CEO responded that the movie aired on CNN in October and that their fourth quarter actually saw record attendance (including me).

Bill said he thought the CEO was not answering the question and I don't remember what his response was. Seriously, what else was he supposed to say? What bad PR? The movie had an agenda, presented what Sea World thinks was incorrect facts about their procedures, and they are seeing record business. A few singers cancelling their concerts is effectively meaningless.

The biggest effect this may have is on their corporate partners. Southwest Airlines have said they have to rethink their sponsorship of the parks. Others may follow. But as long as Sea World addresses them, I think they've handled the public at large very well.

Go Sea World!

Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 1/17/14 12:57:54 PM
Frontrider said:

* Sea World does not capture animals from the wild.

Let's clarify that. They don't capture Orcas from the wild. SeaWorld like many other aquariums do still import certain animals.

I don't object to the occasional collection of marine life especially since SeaWorld conducts so much research that helps with conservation and giving us a better understanding of our oceans and the creatures within.

However, despite the occasional collections, many of the animals they obtain are rescues that after rehabilitation can't be reintroduced to the wild.

When I was in Orlando in December I visited the Turtle Trek attraction, which is one of the most underrated attractions ever- it's awesome.

In the pre-show area there is a large aquarium along the wall that is filled with lots of sea turtles, which are a protected species. What I noticed immediately is that most of them are survivors of severe injuries and are missing limbs or other parts. Sharks love to take a nibble.

Each of the sea turtles had its own personality. Some swam slow, a few were darting about with speed and others were monstrous in size, but what struck me is this important point.

Despite all of them looking very healthy, NONE of these beautiful sea turtles would be alive today, if it were not for SeaWorld. Because of their injuries not a single one would survive in the wild.

The animal rights folks seem to ignore all of the wonderful things SeaWorld does in their ridiculous quest to destroy the company because they have captive Orcas.

I also saw the One Ocean show and the Orcas don't look at all abused or mistreated either. I get it... the aquarium is not an ocean, but most of them were born in captivity and know no different. Sending these captive Orcas to the ocean now would be a death sentence!

* This post was modified at 1/17/14 5:20:29 PM *

--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator
Re: So well stated, Eric by RobLec RobLec Profile at 1/17/14 2:52:07 PM
I hope everyone reads your post. Many never even consider that most of these animals would not be alive if they were not kept in a protected environment.
Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by drachen drachen Profile at 1/17/14 4:50:13 PM
Coaster316 said:

Southwest Airlines have said they have to rethink their sponsorship of the parks. Others may follow.

Southwest: "Ok, we thought about it. Be sure to fly Southwest to your next Sea World visit!"

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 1/20/14 1:03:06 PM
Yup, i thought as much. The park will do fine even without the singers. And to add on the conservation point, there was a turtle i saw this summer that had a big hole/dent in its shell. It was practically paralyzed in its back flippers. If not for sea world that turtle probably would've died a while ago. So the so called activists that want to bash sea world can shove it and save us the whole self righteous talk. If they think of sea world like that based on one biased documentary then that is just ignorance.
On the topic of the turtle trek thing, i mean sure that new attraction has made that area important again, but i prefer to see the turtles/manatee without having to wait in line or be moved to the next tank. I personally didn't care for the show and would rather walk thru the exhibit at my own pace. But i do like the interactive turtle game they have. The sensor isnt as good since it doesn't have joysticks, but eh.

* This post was modified at 1/29/14 7:55:41 AM *

Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by Coaster316 at 1/20/14 1:16:38 PM
drachen said:

Southwest: "Ok, we thought about it. Be sure to fly Southwest to your next Sea World visit!"

Ha!!!!

Re: SeaWorld's bizarre PR draws more attention to Blackfish by RobLec RobLec Profile at 3/4/14 8:51:18 AM
IDK if this has been posted yet, but I found this video on yahoo finance.

On Thursday SeaWorld delivered a complaint to the Labor Department claiming that an investigator examining the death of SeaWorld trainer Dawn Brancheau had inappropriate ties to animal rights activists and may have leaked confidential information to the makers of Blackfish. The complaint put SeaWorld and the documentary on the front page of the N.Y. Times business section; exactly where the company doesn’t want it to be.

Link:

SeaWorld's bizarre PR draws more attention to 'Blackfish'

Re: SeaWorld's bizarre PR draws more attention to Blackfish by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/7/14 7:47:45 PM
A California politician proposed a bill that will ban killer whale shows. If it goes through (I highly doubt if it does) it of course will affect Sea World San Diego.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2575708/Is-end-Shamu-California-politician-ban-Sea-Worlds-controvesial-killer-whale-shows.html

* This post was modified at 3/7/14 7:48:44 PM *

Re: SeaWorld's bizarre PR draws more attention to Blackfish by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 3/7/14 9:28:52 PM
Overbanked said:

A California politician proposed a bill that will ban killer whale shows. If it goes through (I highly doubt if it does) it of course will affect Sea World San Diego.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2575708/Is-end-Shamu-California-politician-ban-Sea-Worlds-controvesial-killer-whale-shows.html

It's California. There are enough loonies there that anything is possible. After all they held up a drop tower in Santa Cruz for almost two years because it might have killed sea gulls that flew into it.

Having grown up in that state, and with family still in it, I don't put anything past the pols in it.

Re: Anti SeaWorld Documentary by blaughlin at 3/14/14 7:11:54 AM
I've been to seaworld several times...I think keeping any creature in captivity is wrong, but I don't think it is too bad for the animals and it is a great way to educate kids and families and to entertain. If there was no seaworldm there would propably be a "Killer Whale attacks surfers"-Documentation...