Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Cedar Point Photo TR from May 21 - better late than never!

Cedar Point Photo TR from May 21 - better late than never!

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
7/16/13 at
6:33:54 PM

I already did the Gatekeeper report so I’m just going to do the rest of the day here. The GK ride report can be found here: http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/roller-coasters-theme-parks/226533

From the time we walked in Dragster, Wicked Twister, Wind Seeker and Sky Hawk were down with no sign of life to be seen.

Bet you didn't know Power Tower was taller then TTD, LOL! Power Tower was closed for the majority of the day as well

I really wanted to ride Sky Hawk :-(

After our first 2 rides on GK we went on some other rides in the area while it was down. First up we hit one of my personal favorites, MaXair. Got seats 1&2 and it was an awesome ride as usual. The low number seats are the best for avoiding the “side” falls.

MaxAir - if only those stupid people would have gotten out of the way faster it would be a perfect picture!

Then we headed to Raptor while I got a Churro on the way. Not as good as the Gadv Churros but it was decent and I was starving. Got right on raptor and took a rear seat. It did not disappoint. LOVE this invert! I didn’t get a chance to ride her last trip in 2011 because of the storms so this ride was long overdue.

Went over to Blue Streak and took a front seat. Why not? There was hardly anyone there. I really like this coaster no matter what anyone else says. I love old hilly woodies! Very nice ride and we saw GK was back open.

I like Blue Streak!

After our 2 front row rides on GK we headed out for the rest of the park. Hit Iron Dragon on our way to Millennium Force. It’s just an OK coaster but one of the last of its kind so I always try and ride it.

We get to MF and the Fast Lane merges at the bottom of the sidewalk portion. It was pretty packed since GK had gone down previously. It took around 30 min to get to the platform and we took a rear seat in the yellow train. She is still delivering an amazing ride! That first drop is awesome!

Millie's first drop

Coming back to the station

Headed over to Maverick next and we walked right up to the platform (regular line was a little over an hour wait).

Jumped in the last seat and that was one of the worst rides I ever had. I never really liked this coaster since I first rode it in 2008 but I had disliked it less and less every time I rode it. I never liked it though. The launches are weak and other than the first hill (which is way too short) it’s all twisted metal that bangs you around horribly and that’s not my thing. Never was. Never will be. This ride I was tossed around terribly and was unable to defensively ride it. I don’t know if it was because I was tired from Kennywood the day before or just out of shape (since my surgery I haven’t been able to exercise or do much of anything without paying for it later) but I slammed the side of my head and neck on the restraint so hard I had a lump the next day. I was done with that coaster. There’s no point to me riding it anymore. I’m not getting battered and bruised for something I don’t even like in the first place.

You all will have one less person in line when I visit - I'm done!

We got some lunch and after I went for a smoke and Roz went to ride Maverick a few more times since it was a walk-on with the FL.
Then we headed over to Mean Streak. I got some pics walking in and then we went for the last train, middle row (where we rode last time and I liked it).

As we were waiting they evacuate the train they just loaded and ride ops start walking the track. The other 2 trains got stuck on the track somewhere (couldn’t see from where we were) and after about 5-10 min they got them back to the station. They were running test trains but the maintenance guy was still on the phone and it wasn’t looking good. Then they stopped testing and since the employees didn’t know anything we left. I wasn’t wasting that much time for Mean Streak although I don’t think it’s half as bad as everyone else does.

Mean Streak was down for the count!

We then went to the Mine Train, which for some strange reason I had never ridden (never rode Sky Hawk either but that wasn’t going to happen today). It was a decent mine train ride – reminded me a lot of Gadv’s Runaway Train.

We went on Gemini next and a lady we were talking to while on line for Mean Streak was there and said they let people on 5 minutes after we left. The story of my life! We were trying for the back but they have one seat belt that goes across 2 people and it was pretty short (same on the mine train) and didn’t fit around both me and Roz so I jumped off and tried for a front train seat but the bars were already locked. I ended up in the middle which made for a not so great ride. I really like Gemini but not in a middle row.

Gemini blue train - where's the other one?

Here it is! Doesn't anyone know how to race coasters anymore?!

We headed over to Magnum another of my personal favorites. The ride-op with the mic on this one really needs to do standup comedy – he was hysterical! At one point he said “We will drop you at 205 feet at speeds of 72 MPH and then take you upside down 3 times!” just before a train was to dispatch. LMAO! Took a rear row seat and we were off. I LOVE this coaster! And it still makes me sad that there’s never a line for it. It’s one of the best in the park and has the most airtime of any coaster in the park hands down. The last row may be a little rough but that air time is worth every bump and bruise you may walk away with. Those bunnies at the end are phenomenal. It was an awesome ride and I wish people would give Magnum some more love. If Cedar Point doesn’t want her anymore we’ll gladly take her off your hands at Gadv :-).

LOVE my Maggie!

This was the first time I noticed this - "The Magnum"?! Are we talking in third person?

TTD was still down. We started taking some pics since I was wearing my Kingda Ka shirt (proudly!) and wanted pics on TTD with it. But for now I’d have to settle for pics with signs.

Making my Green King proud! :-)

I was having a blast with these pics!

We took a little break trying to decide what to do. Both of us were hurting and a lot of rides were still down (including Gatekeeper at this point) due to high winds. I went and spoke to the ride ops on TTD and they said the wind speeds on top were at 38 MPH and they couldn’t launch unless it was below 35 MPH. There wasn’t even a breeze on the ground. We were debating taking the train back to Mean Streak since we missed it and then a bunch of people started running for the gate – I ran to the ride-ops and they said they were opening! YAY! We ran (or I should say limped as fast as we could, LOL) and went for the front row. There were 4 people in front of us. The ride op in this one was another one who was hysterical. The train goes out towards the launch area VERY slowly. I asked why and he said it was in manual – I asked if that meant we had to go out and push it up the track, LOL! Then it came back, Winds went over 35. Damn – SO close. But they had everyone stay on the train. About 5-10 minutes later they got the all clear again and this time it was launched to the chants of “Go, Go, Go!” and cheers from the crowd when it made it over. It was great! At this point we saw that Power Tower, Wicked Twister and Gatekeeper were up and running as well.

Sunset TTD pic from the GateKeeper queue

We got our front row ride and picture with my KK shirt on!

Me and Roz on TTD

We then headed straight to Wicked Twister, also a favorite. I was so bummed when it was down all day. It was around 7:30 pm and the park closed at 8 so we skipped Power Tower and headed there. There was a line forming since someone apparently got stuck in a seat and they couldn’t get the harness released. A lot of people left the line which was great for us since it was up and running quickly. We took our second to last row and we were off! LOVE this ride!

Wicked Twister with Gate Keeper in the background

We had about 15 minutes left so we went straight to GK and we were able to get in 2 more last row left side rides in before the clock struck 8 pm.

I just like this pic of corkscrew - we didn't ride it

I had a wonderful day at CP with Roz – it was the best weather I’ve had there since the first time I went (I bring the rain, tornadoes, hail, you name it!). While I was upset that a few rides were down most of them did open at the end and the only ride I really wanted to go on that never opened was Sky Hawk. Gatekeeper lived up to its expectations and I got some great rides on other favorites as well. The Fast Lane is worth every penny for those who are only going for one day and can’t get there often. We would have been able to do much more if we both had 2 good legs but it is what it is. We survived and got to ride everything we wanted that was open with very minimal standing. So glad I had another chance to go back!

Jen

* This post was modified at 7/16/13 8:57:59 PM *

Re: Cedar Point Photo TR from May 21 - better late than never! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/16/13 7:31:56 PM
Thanks for the appetite-whetter. Nice pics as always. Good stuff. All goes well, I'm heading out there mid-August. Staying on site for the first time and being treated to Fast Lane.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Cedar Point Photo TR from May 21 - better late than never! by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/16/13 8:05:29 PM
Wow! Great trip report and awesome pictures too.

I need to get back to Cedar Point. If I didn't have two weddings in September I think I would make a trip this year.

Re: Cedar Point Photo TR from May 21 - better late than never! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/16/13 9:04:57 PM
Thanks guys! It was a great trip. It was one of those days that started out great, got bad quickly with everything down and then ended better than it started. I wish the park didn't close so early that day.

The Fast Lane is amazing - I've always been a "fan" of the Fast Passes but here it's a must if you're only going for the day. You can easily ride everything you want and then some. The only coasters we didn't go on were Corkscrew (no thank you), Mantis (I can't do stand-ups right now - the forces KILL my ankle) and Mean Streak (we tried and were very close) but could have done them all if we really wanted to. With my bad ankle and Roz's bad knee we weren't exactly Speedy Gonzalez, LOL!

Have fun when you go - it's hard not to!

Jen

Re: Cedar Point Photo TR from May 21 - better late than never! by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/17/13 12:47:02 AM
Great report and awesome photos. I totally agree with you about Magnum XL200. I probably ride that coaster more than any other coaster at the park. I really hope Magnum is there to stay for a long time. We are planning visiting Cedar Point on August 5th, weather permitting. Hope we have as much fun as you did.
Re: Cedar Point Photo TR from May 21 - better late than never! by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 7/17/13 12:02:41 PM
Great report and photos, Jen.

A couple of comments/questions that your report inspired in me (you're just so inspiring)

Blue Streak is amazing! Killer air!

Same for Magnum - possibly my favorite.

So sorry you have bad experiences on Maverick! I love it! But to each his own.

Corkscrew is very picturesque. I hope they don't remove it.

Which will be removed first - ID or Gemini? I'd hate to see Gemini removed, but it's just so out-dated, it doesn't do much for the park. As for ID, I wouldn't miss it one bit.

- Pat-O

Re: Cedar Point Photo TR from May 21 - better late than never! by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 7/17/13 4:46:46 PM
Hi jen! Thank you for this trip report...very nice read while we drive up to cedar point from norfolk!! Can you elaborate on the fast lane? How long was your longest wait? We bought the $85 passes. I got them with my daughter at hershey and we never waited more than 2 trains on a busy fri. Similar at CP?

Thanks
Nino

* This post was modified at 7/17/13 4:47:59 PM *

Re: Cedar Point Photo TR from May 21 - better late than never! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/17/13 8:55:05 PM
HamptonRoadsRider said:

Hi jen! Thank you for this trip report...very nice read while we drive up to cedar point from norfolk!! Can you elaborate on the fast lane? How long was your longest wait? We bought the $85 passes. I got them with my daughter at hershey and we never waited more than 2 trains on a busy fri. Similar at CP?

Thanks
Nino

Nino,

It's not like Hershey's system - which is horrible IMO since they force you into the middle rows and you can only use it once per ride. At CP you can sit where ever you want and ride as many times as you want. It's worth every penny. You'll still have to wait on lines but not nearly as long (this is how almost all Fast Pass systems work although there can be variations between parks in the same company). The longest wait we had was Millennium Force since you merge farther away from the station - that's about a 20-30 minute wait. Real time was probably about 1 1/2 hours. Maverick you pretty much walk right on so that's a HUGE savings of time since that line is hardly ever less than 2 hours. GateKeeper was about a 10 minute wait for the rear rows and about 15-20 for the front during peak hours. You merge in at the bottom of the stairs and they dispatch those trains like lightning. We didn't even use the passes for Blue Streak, Gemini, Iron Wolf or Magnum (although I strongly believe we should have to on Magnum! Where's the love people?!), TTD was down all day and opened while we were right there but I'd imagine it would help with that line as well. It's a worth while investment when you're traveling a distance and want to ride as much as you can at a park as popular as CP. It was essential to getting 6 rides in on GateKeeper - especially so you can ride all four quadrants to see the differences. And they all give a slightly different ride but front row right and rear row left were my favorites (rear left was the best IMO).

Hope you have a great time and the temperature drops a bit before you get there!

Jen

Re: Cedar Point Photo TR from May 21 - better late than never! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/17/13 9:04:34 PM
LoneStar said:

A couple of comments/questions that your report inspired in me (you're just so inspiring)

I try - LOL! ;-)

Which will be removed first - ID or Gemini? I'd hate to see Gemini removed, but it's just so out-dated, it doesn't do much for the park. As for ID, I wouldn't miss it one bit.

- Pat-O

I think that would depend on what they were replacing it with and how much of a footprint they needed. I don't see them taking any coaster out and not replacing it with another. They need to keep they're coaster count high - that's their marketing ploy.

Another consideration is although you may think Iron Wolf and Gemini are outdated they are 2 of the few family coasters that kids could easily ride (they removed the mouse) to so there is a reason for keeping them around. I like Gemini - I wouldn't cry if they got rid of it but I don't think it's a horrible coaster. Iron Dragon is OK but it has a "one of the last of it's kind" mantra attached to it so I think it stays. I think Mean Streak or Corkscrew go before Iron Dragon and Gemini.

Jen

Re: Cedar Point Photo TR from May 21 - better late than never! by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 7/17/13 9:10:20 PM
Thanks jen for the details! Getting excited like a kid on xmas eve!
Re: Cedar Point Photo TR from May 21 - better late than never! by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 7/17/13 10:59:34 PM
GoYanks34 said:

LoneStar said:

Another consideration is although you may think Iron Wolf and Gemini are outdated they are 2 of the few family coasters that kids could easily ride (they removed the mouse) to so there is a reason for keeping them around. I like Gemini - I wouldn't cry if they got rid of it but I don't think it's a horrible coaster. Iron Dragon is OK but it has a "one of the last of it's kind" mantra attached to it so I think it stays. I think Mean Streak or Corkscrew go before Iron Dragon and Gemini.

Jen

That's a good point, Jen. They removed the family coaster DT for GK. They do need to keep the family coasters around.

Here's a thought (and this is just me musing)...now that we've seen what Rocky Mountain can do, think CP would plan an OUTRAGEOUS makeover of Mean Streak for their next coaster? They've got to do something with that wooden wasteland. It's always empty. How cool would it be if they did something drastic in revolutionary with Mean Streak - something beyond an inversion and steep drop - for their next coaster?

Just dreaming,

Pat-O

Re: Cedar Point Photo TR from May 21 - better late than never! by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 7/17/13 11:14:48 PM
All this talk of how bad mean streak is on the forums has me way curious to try it. Its the largest woodie ive had a chance to ride. Im sure ill regret it, but I must see for myself!! Kinda like the "OMG Smell this" reaction lol
Re: Cedar Point Photo TR from May 21 - better late than never! by alpengeistno3 at 7/17/13 11:42:31 PM
Mean Streak is not that bad of a ride. Sure, it has that washboard effect around some of the curves and straightaways, but it is very rideable if you keep your back off the seatback. The problem is that, for a coaster of its size, it is not very good. The double trims on the 1st drop has made it just a big ole mine train (even moreso than the Beast). Like SOB, they could "Rocky Mount" it, but it would do little to improve the ride since it wasn't that good of one to begin with.

Paul

Re: Cedar Point Photo TR from May 21 - better late than never! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/17/13 11:49:35 PM
HamptonRoadsRider said:

All this talk of how bad mean streak is on the forums has me way curious to try it. Its the largest woodie ive had a chance to ride. Im sure ill regret it, but I must see for myself!! Kinda like the "OMG Smell this" reaction lol

The funny thing is I HATE rough woodies with no hills and only overbanked turns. I hate all the woodies those on here who love the rough and tumble ones like for example: Grizzly (I may still have bruises on my legs from 2011), Wild Cat (haven't rode it in years and will never ride it again), and Roar (NEVER again!) to name a few. I, the person who is highly sensitive in a negative way to these kinds of coasters, actually don't think Mean Streak is as bad as everyone says and I have had enjoyable rides on it. Try middle row last car - that's where I like to sit on it anyway. I don't think Hurler is that bad either - Grizzly is FAR worse IMO but my opinions vary GREATLY from most of those on this forum when it comes to wooden coasters of this nature.

Now give me a racing woodie (LR, RY), hilly woodie (Comet) or really old woodie (Jack Rabbit, Giant Dipper) and I'm in heaven!

Jen

* This post was modified at 7/17/13 11:51:24 PM *

Re: Cedar Point Photo TR from May 21 - better late than never! by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 7/18/13 12:01:38 AM
Jen I love the grizzly! I think the setting has alot to do with it. Great woodie imo. The hurler its been awhile but I just remember being unimpressed...kinda meh. Roar was closed when I hit six flags. Definitely will check out mean streak tomorrow then.