Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > SFMM -- Day Trip with Full Throttle review

SFMM -- Day Trip with Full Throttle review

chris92se chris92se Profile

Posted:
7/13/13 at
10:00:58 PM

I made it to SFMM on Thursday (7/11) for one day at the park. Los Angeles had a good deal of rain in the morning, but the park was dry when it opened at 10:30 a.m.

First, I will review Full Throttle. We didn't make it down to this part of the park until the afternoon, maybe 2ish. The line was about 25 minutes. From other guests I talked with the early line was over an hour.

The ride has a lot of unique features and it starts right away with a swift launch into the world's tallest vertical loop. At the top you literally fall out of your seat (fun and a little scary), then you travel down a hill and a dive loop into a tunnel, where the train is stopped. Ozzy screams out "all aboard..haha" and you launch backward up the loop. When you travel down again, another launch takes you to a top hat back over the top of the original loop. For a finish, the brakes start on the bottom of the drop, pushing you forward against the rail.

Overall, the ride is smooth and all launches are great. The seats are really narrow and snug -- I am not that big, either -- and it seemed snug. It has a really uncomfortable shin restraint, too.

The brake on the downside of the top hat is a bit jarring, but it happens really quickly, so it's not bad.

This is the type of ride that can't really be duplicated at another park because it uses the terrain of SFMM to improve the ride, much like Tatsu. The tunnel and the way the second inversion goes over a hill add to the ride. When I look at my favorite coasters at SFMM, this would still rank behind X2 and Tatsu. It's maybe more interesting than Superman: Escape from Krypton, but there is something I really like about going 100 mph and 400 feet up...

That being said, IMO, Full Throttle is better than the similar new Premier ride Superman: Ultimate Flight at SFDK. I did really like the slow heartline roll on SUF, but Full Throttle is much better overall. Full Throttle has no real theming, other than some huge plasma TVs blaring pop music and showing extreme sports. The line began on the other side of the largest screen, which I thought was odd.

S:UF has the poor design feature of allowing only one car at a time, while, Full Throttle allows one car to load while another is running, moving the lines along much quicker.

Overall, my day at SFMM was pretty good. The crowd was light and the weather was cloudy and humid, but highs only in the low 80s (very cool for July). There was a special event for 7-11 (the store) where you could stay at the park an hour late, but we didn't stay anywhere near that long.

I had already purchased a regular Flash Pass online, but it probably would not have necessary to have a good day. I did not see long lines on anything but X2, Tatsu and Full Throttle, but those were probably less than an hour. With the FP, most of the waits were only in the boarding area.

We got to the park when it opened -- got on X2 within 10 minutes. Went to the office and got the FP and set it for Tatsu, which we got on in about 10 minutes (after the walk up the hill). On the day, we rode everything at the park at least once except Ninja, Revolution, Collossus, Viper and water rides (decided to skip because we have ridden them all in the past). We left at about 3:30 p.m.

Oh, I should add a quick review of Green Lantern: First Flight. Wow, this ride is intense and painful. It puts a ton of Gs on you in various ways and you walk off the ride with sore shoulders and a sore groin. My wife still has bruises on her shoulders from it. Oddly enough (despite a bit of pain) I thought this ride was kind of thrilling. Another "unique" ride that is far from the traditional coaster.

Re: SFMM -- Day Trip with Full Throttle review by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 7/14/13 10:23:14 AM
Thank for the review. This is the first I have read about Full Throttle.

I was a bit confused by the addition of FT. I wasn't sure how it fit into the SFMM lineup. Plus I wasn't sure of what the park and Premier are trying to accomplish with the coaster - OK, it has the world's largest loop, which is pretty cool, but other than that the ride seems fairly uninspiring.

I'm glad they used the terrain to enhance the ride. I like that creative technique.

So, I can't make any real judgment until I ride it, but my first impressions aren't overwhelming. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though!

And wait...a visit to SFMM without Revolution or Ninja?!? What where you thinking??!?!?!?! 2 of my favorite coasters in the park!

- Pat-O

Re: SFMM -- Day Trip with Full Throttle review by chris92se chris92se Profile at 7/14/13 2:23:29 PM
LoneStar said:

Thank for the review. This is the first I have read about Full Throttle.

I was a bit confused by the addition of FT. I wasn't sure how it fit into the SFMM lineup. Plus I wasn't sure of what the park and Premier are trying to accomplish with the coaster - OK, it has the world's largest loop, which is pretty cool, but other than that the ride seems fairly uninspiring.

I'm glad they used the terrain to enhance the ride. I like that creative technique.

So, I can't make any real judgment until I ride it, but my first impressions aren't overwhelming. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though!

And wait...a visit to SFMM without Revolution or Ninja?!? What where you thinking??!?!?!?! 2 of my favorite coasters in the park!

- Pat-O

Honestly, I can't figure out SFMM and what they want to accomplish with anything. They have some themed areas and use licensing, but don't take full advantage of it and put non-themed rides next to themed rides, plus they keep renaming rides and attractions.

For example I like Apocalypse a lot and the theme when it was Terminator: Salvation was pretty good, even though it was the only thing with that theme. Now, they just yanked out everything that said Terminator or looked like a Terminator and left open spaces. They hold the line back farther and you walk quickly through the video screen area. The ride is still great, but the rest of it is odd. My wife commented that in one store they are selling "Walking Dead" merchandise and they could have fully implemented a zombie or "zombie apocalypse" theme, which is really popular right now.

Full Throttle is an excellent coaster. I guess behind X2 and Tatsu FT just isn't awesome to me. The big loop, reverse element and top hat are well done. IMO, once you go on X2, it's really hard to find another "unique" ride that blows you away. Like I said, FT is better than Superman: UF at SFDK.

I would liked to have ridden every coaster at SFMM, but we wanted to hit the biggest ones and double up on our absolute favorites. I like Ninja, but Revolution hurts my ears and Colossus was down for a while when we rode Scream (it later reopened, but we didn't want to walk back down there).

Re: SFMM -- Day Trip with Full Throttle review by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 7/14/13 5:19:17 PM
Honestly, I can't figure out SFMM and what they want to accomplish with anything. They have some themed areas and use licensing, but don't take full advantage of it and put non-themed rides next to themed rides, plus they keep renaming rides and attractions.

Very well said. What other weird stuff has SFMM done:

Thrown in Scream out in the middle of the parking lot, when they already had a 7-loop coaster.

Change X to X2 after just a few years.

Name a coaster Full Throttle with no theme connection to anything in the park (same with Scream, Viper)

On a different note, I loved SUF at SFMW, but can you really compare the two? Yes, the both have forward and backward loops, but other than, Premier created to totally different ride experiences.

- Pat-O

Re: SFMM -- Day Trip with Full Throttle review by John_Knotts John_Knotts Profile at 7/17/13 11:47:52 AM
I have to say, I loved Full Throttle. And I like that it's kinda flown under the radar because it will catch some people off guard. It's a weird coaster that really shouldn't exist, there's no real reason for it to. And I think that adds to it's "cool" factor. It's so unique and ends up being a blast. A interesting combo that feels like Speed:The Ride and Stormrunner had a love child.

Great ride!

Re: SFMM -- Day Trip with Full Throttle review by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 7/17/13 12:05:12 PM
John_Knotts said:

I have to say, I loved Full Throttle. And I like that it's kinda flown under the radar because it will catch some people off guard. It's a weird coaster that really shouldn't exist, there's no real reason for it to. And I think that adds to it's "cool" factor. It's so unique and ends up being a blast. A interesting combo that feels like Speed:The Ride and Stormrunner had a love child.

Great ride!

Those are great comments! It's funny, but I kinda sorta know what you mean when you say the coaster shouldn't exit and there's no reason for it.

And I love the lovechild of Speed and Stormrunner! Hilarious!

- Pat-O