Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Strickers Grove TR

Strickers Grove TR

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
7/13/13 at
2:10:40 AM

Strickers Grove has been on my radar for a few years. Being that I go through Cincinnati on my way to and from work, I've been waiting to catch an open to the public day on one of those days. This way the cost would be minimal. This past Wednesday, on my way to work, it was open to the public, and I finally got to visit. On Wednesday the rides were open from 10:00-2:00 and 5:30-10:00. I had a few things to do in the morning, so I planned on an evening visit.

I arrived at 5:00. I was able to purchase a all day ride wristband for $12. The lady who sold the wristbands was a member of the Stricker family. Being that I had 30 minutes to kill I asked her some questions about the park. Strickers opened in the 1920's in a different location. The park still has 2 kiddie rides that were original to the park. Strickers is only open to the general public a hand full of days each year. Church groups, Companies, and other organizations rent the park out on all the other days. If a group books a date, they are guaranteed that same date the following year. Not only is the park booked for the remaining of this year, but next year is almost full also. Groups usually return, year after year. Most Strickers employees have regular full time jobs, so the park usually has events on the weekends or in the evenings on weekdays.

At 5:30 I headed strait for Tornado. The owner of the park actually built this wooden rollercoaster. When Al Collins was working at Kings Island, he asked if he would design a rollercoaster. At the time Al Collins, who helped design The Beast, wasn't allowed to design any coaster for any other park. After Al retired he drew up the plans for Tornado. I ended up with 10 rides on Tornado, 2 in the front and 8 in the back; I liked the back much more. The first drop had a little pop of air, but was a little bumpy at the bottom. The coaster makes a turn and runs over a couple small, consecutive hops, in a very smooth fashion. The coaster makes another turn then has ejector type air time on the next drop. Around another turn, over a couple more small hops, with a little air time, and the coaster hits the brake run. Overall Tornado is a fun ride and a decent wooden coaster by any standards.

The other coaster at the park.is Teddy Bear, a junior woodie. I rode it 3 times, 1 in the front and 2 in the back. It reminded me of Little Dipper at Camden Park. It was pretty tame, even for a junior coaster. Strickers have Flying Scooters. The flyers looked great, but were very tame also. I was actually disappointed in them. Strickers has a Scrambler, which once again looked pristine, but was really slow. Their Tilt A Wirl was in great shape, and rode really nice also. It reminded me of the one at Lakemont. I rode their round up and it seemed it needed a little TLC. The ferris wheel was cool. It wasn't very high, but I could tell it was old. The park also had a swinging pirate ship that wasn't operating. Parts were on the way. There was also another ride that was down called Twister that broke earlier in the day.

At 7:30 I had my fill and headed for my hotel. I ended up getting a speeding ticket, found a junkie's needle underneath the matress at the hotel, and realized I have a slight cut on the outside of one of my tires. Other than those unfortunate events, I had a good time at Strickers. I would recommend a visit, but only if you're in the area. I would never make a special trip to that park. You only need a couple of hours for that extremely small park.

Thanks for reading,
Ken

* This post was modified at 7/13/13 3:03:31 AM *

Re: Strickers Grove TR by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/13/13 5:45:31 PM
Hey, glad you enjoyed your visit, and got in a little history lesson as well. I live down the road from Strickers (used to work across the road from there before Strickers was there). I used to take my sons there back about 15-20 years ago. We put in a lot of hours on that Tilt-a-whirl, back when I could tolerate spin'n'spews. And Tornado is a blast, especially that last drop.

We would usually go in August on one of their public days, and always had a good time. Usually I could usually count on bumping into Chuck, Rob, Katie and other coaster junkies there and we'd usually chat about HWN.

My wife and I went to a company picnic there once when my wife's employer held theirs at Strickers but it was so crowded we didn't get to ride anything... just got a free meal and left. I think it's been probably 3-4 years now since the last time I was there.

Thanks for the TR. Sorry to hear about your experiences afterwards.

Re: Strickers Grove TR by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/14/13 2:03:51 AM
The Stricker lady told me that they require groups to have at least 500 people for an event. She said that this is how the park profits. Most small parks rely on gate attendance in order to survive. Strickers already charges a fee for 500 people, so it doesn't matter how many show up. When a group plans an event Strickers gives them all types of options, which all have different prices.
Re: Strickers Grove TR by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 7/14/13 10:16:27 AM
frontrow said:

At 7:30 I had my fill and headed for my hotel. I ended up getting a speeding ticket, found a junkie's needle underneath the matress at the hotel, and realized I have a slight cut on the outside of one of my tires. Other than those unfortunate events, I had a good time at Strickers. I would recommend a visit, but only if you're in the area. I would never make a special trip to that park. You only need a couple of hours for that extremely small park.

Thanks for reading,
Ken

Where the heck did you stay? That's scary!

- Pat-O

Re: Strickers Grove TR by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/14/13 2:47:47 PM
LoneStar said:

frontrow said:

Thanks for reading,
Ken

Where the heck did you stay? That's scary!

- Pat-O

My office is located in Marysville KY. Aberdeen Ohio is right across the river. Most hotels in those 2 cities are family owned. There is a Best Western, but its just as gross as the other and more expensive. There is a Super 8 that is nice, but its usually booked. The hotel I stayed in was called The Daniel Boone Inn. From now on I'm making reservations at that Super 8, ahead of time.