Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Six Flags "membership" passess ( Great Adventure)

Six Flags "membership" passess ( Great Adventure)

incineratorr incineratorr Profile

Posted:
7/12/13 at
9:34:55 AM

I read on the Six Flags site yesterday about membership passes, just wanted to know what any one else thinks about them and if any one already has one. It seems it has it's benefits, but for me, my park is Great Adventure,it doesn't make sense to pay for 5 to 6 months on a membership and not be able to use in the winter . ?

Re: Six Flags "membership" passess ( Great Adventure) by antikythera antikythera Profile at 7/12/13 10:28:27 AM
The membership plan is basically replacing their monthly payment program for season passes. Come 2014, they will only be selling season passes for full price at the time of purchase. I suspect they are doing this so people (mainly enthusiasts) will lock themselves into a 12 month commitment. For myself, this is not really an issue. Here's why:

Sure, you're going to be paying for months that you may not be using your pass, but when you think about how much money you'll be saving monthly by breaking down your payments over time, it almost makes it worth it.

Right now I currently use their payment plan for my gold season pass which means I'm paying about ~$6 a month (plus the initial higher payment for the first month) over a period of 12 months. That comes out to be about $80 by October 2013 (I bought it in October 2012) for six months of use.

With the new membership plan, if I buy a gold membership in October 2013 (at the end of this season), I'll be paying ~$8 over a period of a twelve month commitment, ending in October 2014. My total payment for the first year will be about $96, as long as they don't raise monthly membership prices (my one of two minor red flags with this new system -- see below for the other one).

While this may be a bit higher than the gold season pass prices for this year, I suspect they will be raising season pass prices overall for 2014 since they've been offering them at a bargain in recent years and the economy is doing better. At the end of the day, my membership pass will probably come out to be about the same as a season pass bought in full for 2014.

If that still doesn't make sense, Six Flags's FAQ explains it by saying that with the payment plan, you were basically being lent money for your pass that you then had to pay back each month. With the membership pass, you're basically signing into a one year commitment and paying each month similar to what you would do with a cell phone bill and/or gym membership.

In reality, it's the same thing and it's just Six Flags's attempt to change it up a bit and get people locked into paying a monthly bill for 12 months, if they weren't already on the payment plan. And for me, that's okay, but it's going to be different for each person.

My only other small red flag that the FAQ doesn't address is what happens once you cancel after 12 months. Do you you have to commit to another 12 months or can you just reactive your pass and begin paying for each month you want to use it. Seems like they suspiciously left this out of the FAQ for a reason.

* This post was modified at 7/12/13 10:56:48 AM *

Re: Six Flags "membership" passess ( Great Adventure) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/12/13 11:32:16 AM
antikythera said:

The membership plan is basically replacing their monthly payment program for season passes. Come 2014, they will only be selling season passes for full price at the time of purchase. I suspect they are doing this so people (mainly enthusiasts) will lock themselves into a 12 month commitment. For myself, this is not really an issue. Here's why:

Sure, you're going to be paying for months that you may not be using your pass, but when you think about how much money you'll be saving monthly by breaking down your payments over time, it almost makes it worth it.

Right now I currently use their payment plan for my gold season pass which means I'm paying about ~$6 a month (plus the initial higher payment for the first month) over a period of 12 months. That comes out to be about $80 by October 2013 (I bought it in October 2012) for six months of use.

With the new membership plan, if I buy a gold membership in October 2013 (at the end of this season), I'll be paying ~$8 over a period of a twelve month commitment, ending in October 2014. My total payment for the first year will be about $96, as long as they don't raise monthly membership prices (my one of two minor red flags with this new system -- see below for the other one).

While this may be a bit higher than the gold season pass prices for this year, I suspect they will be raising season pass prices overall for 2014 since they've been offering them at a bargain in recent years and the economy is doing better. At the end of the day, my membership pass will probably come out to be about the same as a season pass bought in full for 2014.

If that still doesn't make sense, Six Flags's FAQ explains it by saying that with the payment plan, you were basically being lent money for your pass that you then had to pay back each month. With the membership pass, you're basically signing into a one year commitment and paying each month similar to what you would do with a cell phone bill and/or gym membership.

In reality, it's the same thing and it's just Six Flags's attempt to change it up a bit and get people locked into paying a monthly bill for 12 months, if they weren't already on the payment plan. And for me, that's okay, but it's going to be different for each person.

My only other small red flag that the FAQ doesn't address is what happens once you cancel after 12 months. Do you you have to commit to another 12 months or can you just reactive your pass and begin paying for each month you want to use it. Seems like they suspiciously left this out of the FAQ for a reason.

I'm not sure why you are paying so much for a season pass (unless you got it this year and were not a pass holder last year). I have the premium pass (combo with waterpark) from Great Adventure and with season parking plus the processing fee mine came to $130 total. Would have been $124 if I got it at the park (which I will do this year) and add a 5% Discover discount and it's $117. When you have a season pass they always offer a huge discount if you purchase your season pass for the following year in the fall. If I were to get the membership it would cost around $160/year - that's an extra $43 from the lowest price. No way will they raise prices that much. Now the waterpark was a bonus they gave to last year season pass holders and I don't normally get it so I'm not worried at all about the price of the season pass going up dramatically. They haven't done that in a very long time - if anything the prices have been going down. My season pass for this year was $59.99 for the 2 parks since I had a pass from last year and that's at Gadv - one of the most expensive parks. With the membership you are locked into that price no matter what discounts they offer. I think it's a rip off.

Jen

* This post was modified at 7/12/13 11:37:31 AM *

Re: Six Flags "membership" passess ( Great Adventure) by antikythera antikythera Profile at 7/12/13 12:33:14 PM
My home park is Six Flags America so maybe it's different?

The water park isn't a separate charge at SFA and my gold season pass includes admission and parking to every other Six Flags property with the exception of Great Escape and the separate-gate water parks.

According to my statement, I'm actually paying about $90 over one year using their payment plan instead of the aforementioned $80 (I rounded down, not up in the previous post).

Payment Date Amount Status
1 10/19/2012 $14.94 Paid
2 11/19/2012 $6.79 Paid
3 12/19/2012 $6.79 Paid
4 01/19/2013 $6.79 Paid
5 02/19/2013 $6.79 Paid
6 03/19/2013 $6.79 Paid
7 04/19/2013 $6.79 Paid
8 05/19/2013 $6.79 Paid
9 06/19/2013 $6.79 Paid
10 07/19/2013 $6.79 Pending
11 08/19/2013 $6.79 Pending
12 09/19/2013 $6.79 Pending

I've been a season pass holder for two years now and, when I renewed, I received a free upgrade to gold since I did it before a certain date.

But now looking at the price of a gold season pass at this point in the season and what I'm paying each month, it adds up to be about the same price of $90 regardless if I chose to pay upfront or through a payment plan. So I'm wondering what the hell happened or if they did something wrong.

Even still, I'd rather pay monthly than all at once. With a platinum season pass to both Cedar Fair and Seaworld parks, and with the amount of traveling I've been doing this year to different amusement parks, paying by the month for these passes seems much more logical -- I only make so much a month that I'd rather not blow my wad early on in the season only to be struggling to make up for it later.

* This post was modified at 7/12/13 12:44:02 PM *

Re: Six Flags "membership" passess ( Great Adventure) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/12/13 12:46:35 PM
antikythera said:

My home park is Six Flags America so maybe it's different?

The water park isn't a separate charge at SFA and my gold season pass includes admission and parking to every other Six Flags property with the exception of Great Escape and the separate-gate water parks.

According to my statement, I'm actually paying about $90 over one year using their payment plan instead of the aforementioned $80 (I rounded down, not up in the previous post).

Payment Date Amount Status
1 10/19/2012 $14.94 Paid
2 11/19/2012 $6.79 Paid
3 12/19/2012 $6.79 Paid
4 01/19/2013 $6.79 Paid
5 02/19/2013 $6.79 Paid
6 03/19/2013 $6.79 Paid
7 04/19/2013 $6.79 Paid
8 05/19/2013 $6.79 Paid
9 06/19/2013 $6.79 Paid
10 07/19/2013 $6.79 Pending
11 08/19/2013 $6.79 Pending
12 09/19/2013 $6.79 Pending

I've been a season pass holder for two years now and when I renewed, I received a free upgrade to Gold since I did it before a certain date.

But now looking at the price of of a gold season pass at this point in the season and what I'm paying each month, it adds up to be about the same price of $90 regardless if I chose to pay upfront or through a payment plan. So I'm wondering what the hell happened or if they did something wrong.

Even still, I'd rather pay monthly than all at once. With a platinum season pass to both Cedar Fair and Seaworld parks, and with the amount of traveling I've been doing this year to different amusement parks, paying by the month for these passes seems much more logical -- I only make so much a month that I'd rather not blow my wad early on in the season only to be struggling to make up for $~400 worth spent all at once on season passes as the months go by.

I didn't realize you had a SFA pass - that includes the parking unlike SFGAdv. I don't know why your pricing is so close to what they are offering now - that doesn't make sense. My service charge was $5.99, was yours higher?

For those of us that have Great Adventure as our home park the membership package doesn't really make sense since it ends up being so much more expensive. It's $8.07/month for the pass I have now without parking which comes to $96/year per membership alone (I paid $59.99). Different pricing for different areas. I got my season pass at SFA in 2011 since I was going there but the price difference isn't enough to warrant a trip each year if you take into consideration the travel expenses, the lack of use of the coupon book at my park (which I use often) and the lack of early entry it just isn't worth it IMO.

Jen

Re: Six Flags "membership" passess ( Great Adventure) by antikythera antikythera Profile at 7/12/13 12:52:44 PM
Fair enough assessment. I didn't realize that parking wasn't included with Great Adventure but it makes sense.

I don't remember exactly what my service charge was but it had to be somewhat high to make my first payment close to ~$15.

I do remember them offering a cheaper renewal online if you had a pass already. I'm wondering if I mistakenly chose the wrong option during check out or because I chose the payment plan, it automatically assumed I was buying a new pass.

Looking at the fine print, it looks like parking is only valid at Six Flags America for a membership, so you'll still need to buy parking at other parks. This significantly changes my perception as if you are getting a gold pass, you'll still be responsible for steep parking at other parks when you travel.

I wonder if they will be doing this for their 2014 gold season passes as well. If so, that'd be mean Six Flags season passes would be in essence one of the most expensive if you plan on traveling alot.

* This post was modified at 7/12/13 1:02:50 PM *

Re: Six Flags "membership" passess ( Great Adventure) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/12/13 3:05:27 PM
antikythera said:

Fair enough assessment. I didn't realize that parking wasn't included with Great Adventure but it makes sense.

I don't remember exactly what my service charge was but it had to be somewhat high to make my first payment close to ~$15.

I do remember them offering a cheaper renewal online if you had a pass already. I'm wondering if I mistakenly chose the wrong option during check out or because I chose the payment plan, it automatically assumed I was buying a new pass.

Looking at the fine print, it looks like parking is only valid at Six Flags America for a membership, so you'll still need to buy parking at other parks. This significantly changes my perception as if you are getting a gold pass, you'll still be responsible for steep parking at other parks when you travel.

I wonder if they will be doing this for their 2014 gold season passes as well. If so, that'd be mean Six Flags season passes would be in essence one of the most expensive if you plan on traveling alot.

I just checked and the parking for the membership pass here only includes parking at Gadv too - that further changes the scope of this (and it's the same price that I paid for parking at all SF parks!). Season pass parking is good anywhere at all parks. I'm sticking with the season pass - much better bang for the buck at Great Adventure.

Jen

Re: Six Flags "membership" passess ( Great Adventure) by incineratorr incineratorr Profile at 7/12/13 3:26:51 PM
I saw that, it reads parking for Great Adventure only, guess you'll have to pay for parking at HH even if you have member pass, and it is more expensive than season passes. The only way I'll consider getting a membership pass and to compensate for the winter is only if Great adventure offers something like a free V.I.P. tour once a season OR at least 1 free flash pass a month only for members with passes to both parks.
Re: Six Flags "membership" passess ( Great Adventure) by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 7/12/13 3:50:27 PM
Membership with the SFA pass continues your season pass benefits without having to go through season pass processing each year as well.

They'll just send you a new card each season.

I have a gold membership. Came with parking.

Joe
Great_Ump