Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Parts of Roar at SFA Have Been Retracked

Parts of Roar at SFA Have Been Retracked

antikythera antikythera Profile

Posted:
7/11/13 at
1:40:01 PM

I've been taking mini trips to SFA the last couple of months. In late June, Roar was down and I noticed the train was just sitting on the lift hill. After some investigation and rummaging on other forums, it looks like they were doing some track work, replacing quite a few layers on some parts of the coaster.

When I went this past Sunday, the coaster was open again and I was eager to get a few rides in to see if it was riding any smoother. After one session, I quickly realized that this coaster will never have a better life. Gone was the whiplash like rumbling turns that I have associated with this ride, replaced by a constant aching of the whole body while it rushed through the course, not like I've felt on a wooden coaster before.

I have to wonder, are GCI coasters just not aging well? Is SFA still not doing something right maintaining it? Or is there something else going on here? It was a bit odd to me to see SFA doing major track work midseason - it indicated to me they found something wrong with the track that needed to be addressed.

Thoughts? Anyone else ridden post-track work Roar?

Here are some pictures because Jen didn't believe me on Facebook:

http://www.sfafans.com/forums/showthread.php/8717-SFA-Photo-TR-from-6-22

:D

* This post was modified at 7/11/13 4:14:31 PM *

Re: Parts of Roar at SFA Have Been Retracked by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/11/13 3:01:43 PM
Roar east has PTC trains and Roar west has MF trains. The consensus is Roar west is a better ride. Perhaps that's the reason. I've only ridden the one at SFA so I can't compare but I hated it.

Jen

Re: Parts of Roar at SFA Have Been Retracked by antikythera antikythera Profile at 7/11/13 3:39:53 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Roar east has PTC trains and Roar west has MF trains. The consensus is Roar west is a better ride. Perhaps that's the reason. I've only ridden the one at SFA so I can't compare but I hated it.

Jen

I've seen quite a few different debates on this. I totally agree with you that the MF trains would help this coaster out a ton, but others in the community also feel like it wouldn't help at all as even Wildcat at Hershey suffers from some roughness.

I do wonder though if the PTC trains are jacking up the track so much that years of abuse by these trains has led to Roar East's demise.

To me, retracking the thing, but not using it's "proper" train aftward seems like it would undermine the whole reason for retracking, if the above statement is true.

* This post was modified at 7/11/13 3:41:53 PM *

Re: Parts of Roar at SFA Have Been Retracked by alpengeistno3 at 7/11/13 3:51:06 PM
antikythera said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

I've seen quite a few different debates on this. I totally agree with you that the MF trains would help this coaster out a ton, but others in the community also feel like it wouldn't help at all as even Wildcat at Hershey suffers from some roughness.

I do wonder though if the PTC trains are jacking up the track so much that years of abuse by these trains has led to Roar East's demise.

To me, retracking the thing, but not using it's "proper" train aftward seems like it would undermine the whole reason for retracking, if the above statement is true.

If I remember correctly, Hershey did not fully retrack Wildcat after switching the trains. It was far too expensive. The trains have lessened to further toll on the track, but there are still a lot of jolts that are still there. (I assure you, it was FAR worst with the PTC trains, and I liked it that way:)

Paul

Re: Parts of Roar at SFA Have Been Retracked by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/11/13 10:40:39 PM
Using Gwazi as an example, when they first ran the MF trains, the ride felt way better. But the following year, the ride still felt rough. I don't think the ptc trains were a good fit for the GCI layouts and it seems the damage is done.

I think even if they retrack this coaster, the MF trains should still be bought for it since it can't hurt. I mean short of letting RMC redo the entire thing and turning the tracks to steel, the track is still going to get rough again.

Re: Parts of Roar at SFA Have Been Retracked by antikythera antikythera Profile at 7/12/13 11:02:56 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Using Gwazi as an example, when they first ran the MF trains, the ride felt way better. But the following year, the ride still felt rough. I don't think the ptc trains were a good fit for the GCI layouts and it seems the damage is done.

I think even if they retrack this coaster, the MF trains should still be bought for it since it can't hurt. I mean short of letting RMC redo the entire thing and turning the tracks to steel, the track is still going to get rough again.

While I'm still in the minority on the RMC treatment for wooden coasters, I think having this wooden coaster become a steel one with it's tight turns could make it a fun experience. It'd be a interesting companion to Joker's Jinx.

Re: Parts of Roar at SFA Have Been Retracked by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 7/12/13 5:44:58 PM
Roar West was perfectly smooth with its MFs. Just like Kentucky Rumbler, the ride was almost to smooth. The trains were very comfortable and no rough spots to really speak of.

I've never ridden a GCI with PTCs, but I can only imagine how horrible that would be.

- Pat-O

Re: Parts of Roar at SFA Have Been Retracked by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/12/13 6:29:09 PM
Be fortunate you haven't. Gwazi (plus the humidity of being in Florida) will never be decent (they can retrack it, but short of RMC, I don't see it worth investing more money to make it smoother). I've given up on it and since this year ran just one side, that decision became easier. Imo, if it doesn't run both sides as a 'dueling' coaster, there's nothing redeeming it. I think they'd be better off just pulling it and putting a steal coaster there. Winged coaster would be awesome.

Andy: that'd be nice, but would the chain feel like it's worth doing that for SFA? Imo, they'd probably just tear it down than spending more money to convert the ride and put a different coaster (maybe a relocated one) there.

Re: Parts of Roar at SFA Have Been Retracked by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 7/13/13 9:59:30 AM
Gwazi is pretty much done from several accounts I've read. Plans are in place for it's demise from what I've been reading, and it likely won't be around next year. Which, for me at least, is to bad. I enjoyed Gwazi when I was living and working there, but I can also see how it was to rough for many.

It does seem like the GCI's without the MF's did not age well, and that those that tried them later it was to late, the damage was done. Gwazi was in an even worse predicament though with year round operation in a very hot, wet environment.

Re: Parts of Roar at SFA Have Been Retracked by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/13/13 7:46:28 PM
Wow, I didn't think the park was actually considering pulling it. But it wasn't as bad as I thought at first since I rode worse like rolling thunder (aka screeching lumber) at SFGadv, hurler at KD, and very rough/punishing Coney island cyclone. That said, if t is time for it to go, then I just hope the ride replacing it is a steel coaster and maybe they could think of building a new wood coaster for BGE and send gwazi's trains there.
(edit: just read the rumors and surprised this is being considered, either way at least I got to ride both sides with both ptc and mf trains and of course dueling. crosses fingers BGE does build this new wood coaster over df's vacant land area.)

I give BGT credit for trying to salvage the ride with the MF trains in 2011, which made the ride better, but it just reverted back to the rough ride it was when the ptc cars were there pummeling the tracks. Too little too late with that change.

* This post was modified at 7/13/13 7:54:19 PM *

Re: Parts of Roar at SFA Have Been Retracked by alpengeistno3 at 7/13/13 7:55:48 PM
BGE has gone on record as saying they won't do a wooden coaster. They claim "conservation" as the reason, but they have been observing Gwazi down in Tampa and just want no part of the maintenance.

When I was working there, they said they didn't want a drop tower, now Mach Tower is there, so I suppose you can never say "never".

Paul

Re: Parts of Roar at SFA Have Been Retracked by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/13/13 8:46:17 PM
Well, dunno what the weather in VA is like year round, but I'd like to think it's a lot less humid. And if the ride starts with mf trains instead of running the ptc trains for over a decade, those should be ways they can do better than Gwazi.

But that said, I guess BG could always sell the trains to another park. Would be funny or ironic if SFA gets them unless they plan/if they plan on buying mf trains and replacing their ptc ones.

Re: Parts of Roar at SFA Have Been Retracked by antikythera antikythera Profile at 7/21/13 11:19:47 PM
I took another ride today and the parts they retracked seemed to be riding a bit smoother. It was later in the day so it might have had time to warm up but, for a few seconds, I was actually enjoying it.

* This post was modified at 7/21/13 11:20:05 PM *

Re: Parts of Roar at SFA Have Been Retracked by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 7/22/13 10:37:39 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Well, dunno what the weather in VA is like year round, but I'd like to think it's a lot less humid.

I wish...it's plenty humid in SE VA. I hate it. 85 typically feels like 100 around here in the summer.