Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > 7/9 Kings Dominion TR

7/9 Kings Dominion TR

alpengeistno3

Posted:
7/10/13 at
10:12:30 PM

Okay, I have been very busy this year, so today was my first solo trip to KD. No friends, no coworkers, just dropping in on the way home to Va Beach. I got to the park at 4:30 and thought I was late enough to snag an easy parking space up near Dominator, but the preferred parking lots they put in last year blocked that option. Oh well, back to the Season Pass Parking where there was plenty of space.

I noticed Dominator running as I was pulling in, but once I got out of my car, the train stopped at the top of the lift and did not move again until I got through the turnstiles and up to the ride to observe. Two trains were running, one stopped on the block brake and the other crowned on the lift. Employees were sent to speak to the guests, the one on the block brake was up there by the time I got to the ride. I guess they must have had to draw straws for the lift because no one was up there until about 5-10 mins after I had arrived in the ride plaza.

I decided to hang around for awhile just to see what they would do. Maintenance kept walking back and forth from the station to the transfer track, so it must have been something there that kept the trains stranded (I'm curious how they got both trains stranded outside of the station like that. Reminds me of the Fright Fest day they got all 3 trains stranded outside on the course.) After about 30 mins, I decided there was nothing else to see and started to walk towards the Congo. At that moment, they announced for the ride ops to clear the trains and the train on the block brake started inching forward (looks like the ride op had just enough time to get his foot off of it.) I was curious how slowly the fully loaded train would progress through the post block brake course after a full stop. Other than the inversions and the high turn before the final turn, it moved faster than I thought. The ride ops restarted the train on the lift the same time as the block brake cleared and I knew that was instant trouble (of course, that train stopped on the block as well since the slower moving 1st train was still creeping through the brake run.) Fortunately for them, the ride restarted again as soon as the course was clear. At that point, I could tell that Dominator would not be running for awhile and I should move on.

While observing Dominator, I noticed the catch car (or is that lift car?) for Drop Zone spent the entire time in the "park" position at the top of the tower. This is where they keep it when the ride is not operational to protect the cables, so Drop Zone was probably not working either.

Off to the Congo, I went to observe Volcano. It had a pretty full upper queue, so I skipped that. Avalanche had no line beyond what was in the station, so I decided to stop there. The block brake did slightly engage today, but only slowed the train slightly, so it was a good ride. When I got off, the queue line had filled from them holding it (for what I would later find out was a useless Fastlane,) so I moved on.

Up next, I figured I would grab a quick ride on Anaconda (to scope out the lines at FOF, I-305 and IJ all at once). It was surprisingly quiet as I approached, when I realized that the trash can was pulled across the entrance. Yes, Anaconda is closed, too. No sign of any maintenance in the area, so whatever was wrong, they were done with it.

Then, I happened to look up behind Anaconda's lift and noticed a train for I-305. But it was perched atop the lift and NOT MOVING! Now, I think I see why Anaconda was not running. As I walked around, the entire I-305 Plaza was blocked off with stanchions and trash cans. So, apparently, they didn't want anyone seeing anything going on back there. According a Screamscape post, the train has been perched up there for the last 3 days. Guess Intamin doesn't overnight parts :)

I went to FOF for a surprising walk on ride.

At this point, I am realizing that Kings Dominion is not very busy, but they are having an awful day in operations. I went on to the Grove and rode Shockwave, Rebel Yell, Hurler, and Ricochet with no wait at all (in fact, the stations were near deserted and I took rerides on all except Ricochet. While I was riding Rebel Yell, I tried to get a peek at I-305 and Anaconda while on the turnaround, but they had the South side track running, so there was not much time to see that direction. It looked like the other train was parked in the transfer area, so whatever stranded the train on the lift must be cable related.

Drop Zone had reopened while I was on Rebel Yell, so I went for a ride on that to get another look and saw the same. Anaconda was in park position, by the way.

After that, I went to Grizzly, which had a somewhat fuller station. After 2 rides, there were no more empty seats available, so I moved on.

It is now about 8:30 and it appeared Dominator had reopened, so I walked over there. Station was near empty so I was able to snag 4 rides before having to leave to check out the Congo area. Volcano was still busy, and I tried to go on Avalanche, but guess what...CLOSED!

So I figured I would go take care of IJ. Line was short, but the station was full. There was a group behind me that were talking about wanting to get in front of me so they could be together. They must have been able to tell that I was having none of that because they let someone go in front of them at the last second.

After IJ, I went check out Anaconda (still down) and I-305 (still "up" and surprisingly, they did not turn off the red lights on the lift highlighting the still stranded train ) before going to marathon FOF for 4 more rides with only a line for the front queue. The near empty trains charged through the first 3 inversions (I even got a hint of airtime over the hill at the top of the bowl), but after hitting the block brake, it crawled through the 2nd half at near rollback speed.

9:38, it was time to take care of Volcano. I don't know if they went ahead with the 9:30 firework show since the park was so empty. If they did, it was over before I left FOF (not even any smoke in the air). I walked on Volcano and went around for a reride.

After 2 rides, I figured I had had my fill of Volcano and went to end the night on Avalanche. After one ride, I figured I had time for a reride in the back seat if I walked around, but they closed the line at 9:57. So I went back over to Volcano and got the last train of the night.

Now, this would normally be a day to be pissed about like at typical SFA day. 6 major rides closed, 2 of them never opened and one closing early. But considering I was able to get 28 rides in a mere 5 hrs due to the heat keeping everyone in the waterpark, it was not a bad day at all.

Hopefully, the "world champion" I-305 (per KD's chest pumping after the Insane Coaster Wars episode) will be back operational by the time I head back home or Skyrush may take its #2 spot in my book.

Thanks for reading.
Paul

* This post was modified at 7/10/13 10:22:32 PM *

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by ktujon ktujon Profile at 7/10/13 11:23:30 PM
I hope I get to marathon I305 before the end of this year!
Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 7/10/13 11:32:34 PM
Hey Paul....good to hear that you still managed to have a good time even with the bad day that KD was having...lol. I have another question you might have an answer to. I remember going to the park last year during the month of October and I remember that flight of Fear was closed due to using it for a Halloween attraction.Is flight of fear closed all day during this season or just during the evening?? I plan on going again in September or October but don't want to miss this ride again because my girlfriend has not gotten to ride it yet.
Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by alpengeistno3 at 7/11/13 12:12:58 AM
chitlins73 said:

Hey Paul....good to hear that you still managed to have a good time even with the bad day that KD was having...lol. I have another question you might have an answer to. I remember going to the park last year during the month of October and I remember that flight of Fear was closed due to using it for a Halloween attraction.Is flight of fear closed all day during this season or just during the evening?? I plan on going again in September or October but don't want to miss this ride again because my girlfriend has not gotten to ride it yet.

I may not be the most reliable source since I haven't gone to KD before 4:00 PM in the fall for the last 2 years (church on Sundays, work on Fridays and I avoid like the plague on Saturdays). The last time I did make it, they had Flight of Fear open during the day until 4:00 (3:00 on Saturdays) before closing it down to become Alien Encounter. That may have changed by now, though, since I have heard that Hurler did not open at all last year.

Paul

* This post was modified at 7/11/13 1:34:24 AM *

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/11/13 4:04:37 AM
Did you mean driving home from VA beach or did you move? ;-)

I was having flashbacks of my horrible Dorney experience reading that! I heard about I-305 - I wonder how long that will take to get up and running. And speaking of Volcano I'll have you know I nearly lost my mind when Maverick beat it on Coaster Wars! One of my worst coasters beat one of my best? That show is SO fixed it isn't even funny! And can they please stop captioning people who have never rode before a "coaster enthusiast" - drives me crazy! OK, had to vent, back to topic. 8-)

Glad you managed to have a good time. It has been a busy summer for me too - I have like 3 TRs I still have to do!

Jen

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile at 7/11/13 7:19:32 AM
chitlins73 said:

Hey Paul....good to hear that you still managed to have a good time even with the bad day that KD was having...lol. I have another question you might have an answer to. I remember going to the park last year during the month of October and I remember that flight of Fear was closed due to using it for a Halloween attraction.Is flight of fear closed all day during this season or just during the evening?? I plan on going again in September or October but don't want to miss this ride again because my girlfriend has not gotten to ride it yet.

Last year FOF was open during the day but they closed it about an hour or so before the Halloween stuff started however the Hurler was closed all day if memory serves.

Lee

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/11/13 8:23:35 AM
GoYanks34 said:

Did you mean driving home from VA beach or did you move? ;-)


I was having flashbacks of my horrible Dorney experience reading that! I heard about I-305 - I wonder how long that will take to get up and running. And speaking of Volcano I'll have you know I nearly lost my mind when Maverick beat it on Coaster Wars! One of my worst coasters beat one of my best? That show is SO fixed it isn't even funny! And can they please stop captioning people who have never rode before a "coaster enthusiast" - drives me crazy! OK, had to vent, back to topic. 8-)

Glad you managed to have a good time. It has been a busy summer for me too - I have like 3 TRs I still have to do!

Jen


I know i'd be pissed if that many coasters were down at the same time especially i305. The only reason i wouldn't be even more is that i've been on all the rides there many times. For sfgadv in 2008, as great a day i had there, i felt cheated out of a ride on el toro as that was the only coaster that didn't run that day and i dont get a chance to go to that park as often.

Yeah, that show sucks big time, i have no idea how they rate those rides. I mean you can have some 'enthusiast' that will rate the max on anything because they are so freaked out on the ride or just playing favorites. I just watch it for the coasters featured and don't pay attention to the rankings because they group a bunch of random coasters together, so it's already flawed right there. At least last year there was a slim sense of order. I havent been on maverick yet, but as for volcano (i know i'm in the minority here), after the 2 launches and then being shot out of the volcano, i still think the ride is just uninspired and dull wasting so much potential energy with the hard brake at the base of the mountain. If they did more like have some helix bw the launches or after the 3 heartline rolls before ending, maybe i wouldn't feel as negatively about the ride. If i'm going to wait like over an hour for it, i want it to be great from start to end.
=
Paul, damn, i keep forgetting to post my tr from last year, been a hectic year for me. I still have my florida stuff too. Sorry about that.

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by antikythera antikythera Profile at 7/11/13 1:49:09 PM
Flight of Fear usually closes pretty early during Halloween Haunt, usually around 4 or 5pm, although I've been there quite a few times where they closed it even earlier or didn't open it at all.

* This post was modified at 7/11/13 1:49:43 PM *

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 7/11/13 1:55:00 PM
Thanks for all the input.I think the best bet for me and my girlfriend is to try and go on a sunday in September.Just sucks they are only open till 8 on those days but at least the park should have minimal crowds.
Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/11/13 2:33:25 PM
chitlins73 said:

Thanks for all the input.I think the best bet for me and my girlfriend is to try and go on a sunday in September.Just sucks they are only open till 8 on those days but at least the park should have minimal crowds.

I was there on the Sunday of my b'day weekend in September two years ago. While it wasn't exactly a ghost town, there weren't a helluva lot of people. I think that would be the way to go.

Mike

* This post was modified at 7/11/13 2:50:57 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR *NM* by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 7/11/13 2:41:31 PM
Thanks Mike.
Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR *NM* by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/11/13 2:55:23 PM
I just edited that post..I forgot to indicate that was September.
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by alpengeistno3 at 7/11/13 3:42:35 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Did you mean driving home from VA beach or did you move? ;-)

No, I had it right. Although I currently live in MD, Virginia Beach (and mom :) will always be home!

I found my Drachen Fire SOP (Ride manual) from all those years ago. I'll need to post a pic on Facebook later.

GoYanks34 said:

I was having flashbacks of my horrible Dorney experience reading that!

Well, the only difference between your trip and all of those Six Flags America trips where most everything has been closed is that the rides stayed down. This time, at least I was able to come back and ride most of them when they reopened. Call it bad timing or bad luck; only I-305 and Anaconda never reopened.

GoYanks34 said:

I heard about I-305 - I wonder how long that will take to get up and running.

I don't know. I'll be stopping by again on the way back, so if it is not reopened by then, I can let you all know (couldn't imagine it being down that long, though.)

GoYanks34 said:

And speaking of Volcano I'll have you know I nearly lost my mind when Maverick beat it on Coaster Wars! One of my worst coasters beat one of my best? That show is SO fixed it isn't even funny! And can they please stop captioning people who have never rode before a "coaster enthusiast" - drives me crazy! OK, had to vent, back to topic. 8-)

Frankly, I thought Volcano was the "worst" coaster on the show (though I would be willing to listen to arguments that Furios Baco deserves that title). Phil summed up my feelings exactly. Volcano is an incomplete ride. Great launches, monotonous rollovers, and the anti-climatic ending. Maverick may not be the greatest ride at the Point, but it does everything that Volcano does and has a far more interesting layout.

You are so right about the "enthusiasts". It turns my stomach, especially having been at several of the tapings. They even did interviews with several "true" enthusiasts, but rarely did any of them actually get in the show. As for the voting, it is what it is. Just like any other poll, the results are skewed by a few who don't really have a clue what they are voting on. And it is actually the "real" enthusiasts who are skewing it. The fact that we know that some coasters do not have inversions and that 200 ft is not the tallest coaster in the world is lowering the scores of some really great coasters. The coaster that will ultimately have the highest rank will be the one that has some element of all the categories they picked out so it gets a reasonably high score in all categories. I would not be surprised to see I-305 win it all since a lot of GP assume the "twisties" are inversions and the area enthusiasts rightfully think very highly of everything else to score it high enough to overcome the inversion thing.

Bottom line, forget about the rankings and just enjoy the awesome footage (love those aerial shots they took from the remote controlled copter!)


GoYanks34 said:

Glad you managed to have a good time. It has been a busy summer for me too - I have like 3 TRs I still have to do!

Jen

You put a lot more effort in yours with the pictures, so you can be forgiven for the delay :) Looking forward to them!

Paul

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/11/13 3:55:34 PM
LOL - I do the same thing. I always say I'm going home when going up north to mom's. How does she stand all the navy jets? When I was there in 2011 that jet noise was horrible and drove me crazy!

I don't care what you guys say - I LOVE Volcano! 8-)
Could it be better? Sure, anything can but it is so damn unique and fun. I loved it. Now the episode where Griffon lost I nearly lost my mind! LOL! I do really enjoy seeing the coasters of the world - I seriously need a European/Japanese coaster trip in the future. I just wish it wasn't so staged with the people they have the focus on. Have you noticed almost all the girls have very long hair and keep it down? If that's not for effect on the ride I don't know what is. My hair is in horrible knots every time I get home from a park and I have it in a pony tail - couldn't even imagine what those poor girls go through, LOL.

Jen

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by alpengeistno3 at 7/11/13 4:25:21 PM
GoYanks34 said:

LOL - I do the same thing. I always say I'm going home when going up north to mom's. How does she stand all the navy jets? When I was there in 2011 that jet noise was horrible and drove me crazy!


I don't care what you guys say - I LOVE Volcano! 8-)
Could it be better? Sure, anything can but it is so damn unique and fun. I loved it. Now the episode where Griffon lost I nearly lost my mind! LOL! I do really enjoy seeing the coasters of the world - I seriously need a European/Japanese coaster trip in the future. I just wish it wasn't so staged with the people they have the focus on. Have you noticed almost all the girls have very long hair and keep it down? If that's not for effect on the ride I don't know what is. My hair is in horrible knots every time I get home from a park and I have it in a pony tail - couldn't even imagine what those poor girls go through, LOL.

Jen

We live very close to the Norfolk line now, kind of between the bases at Little Creek and Oceana, so not as many jets. Back when I grew up, we lived in the Lynnhaven area, which was originally the crash zone for planes before they built the mall. You heard jets all the time back then.

I haven't noticed the hair thing. Maybe, I will need to watch that more carefully when they rerun them. I did notice I did make the SROS episode, the camera was on the "stars" when they were kicking me out the train and if you look very closely you can see me jump out when it is in the station.

Paul

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/11/13 4:54:18 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

I did notice I did make the SROS episode, the camera was on the "stars" when they were kicking me out the train and if you look very closely you can see me jump out when it is in the station.

Paul

Crap - I deleted it already. I'll have to look for it when they re-run it (which they surprisingly haven't been doing like last year)

Jen

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by alpengeistno3 at 7/11/13 5:05:20 PM
No yet. I assume they are going to blow them all out before doing the mass reruns. They have been showing them during the day. My DVR mistakenly taped that one as "new".

Paul

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/11/13 5:11:04 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

No yet. I assume they are going to blow them all out before doing the mass reruns. They have been showing them during the day. My DVR mistakenly taped that one as "new".


Paul

Didn't they play the previous week episode before the new episode last year? I could have sworn that they did but I could be mistaken.

Jen

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by alpengeistno3 at 7/11/13 7:49:56 PM
You are correct. Last year, they ran Extreme Waterparks and Insane Coaster Wars for an hour. This year, both got cut back to 30 mins because of the Brett Michael's RV show that comes on after them.

Reruns are late at night (for the current episode) and Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday during the day (the one that recorded was noon)

Paul

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/11/13 11:08:15 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:

LOL - I do the same thing. I always say I'm going home when going up north to mom's. How does she stand all the navy jets? When I was there in 2011 that jet noise was horrible and drove me crazy!


I don't care what you guys say - I LOVE Volcano! 8-)
Could it be better? Sure, anything can but it is so damn unique and fun. I loved it. Now the episode where Griffon lost I nearly lost my mind! LOL! I do really enjoy seeing the coasters of the world - I seriously need a European/Japanese coaster trip in the future. I just wish it wasn't so staged with the people they have the focus on. Have you noticed almost all the girls have very long hair and keep it down? If that's not for effect on the ride I don't know what is. My hair is in horrible knots every time I get home from a park and I have it in a pony tail - couldn't even imagine what those poor girls go through, LOL.

Jen

We live very close to the Norfolk line now, kind of between the bases at Little Creek and Oceana, so not as many jets. Back when I grew up, we lived in the Lynnhaven area, which was originally the crash zone for planes before they built the mall. You heard jets all the time back then.

I haven't noticed the hair thing. Maybe, I will need to watch that more carefully when they rerun them. I did notice I did make the SROS episode, the camera was on the "stars" when they were kicking me out the train and if you look very closely you can see me jump out when it is in the station.

Paul

Now I see it. I still have that ep on the dvr, camera focus was still a bit blurry looking that far back though. But agreed about the snubbing of the true enthusiasts. They are just looking for the most 'interesting'/those that will freak out folks vs us. If it were me, I wouldn't be showing much emotion because nothing phases me much anymore (steel coaster wise that is) lol. So what way to make the show more interesting than a person screaming their head off?

Jen, yeah, I figured the Griffon segment would appeal to you :) But the way they treated Nitro ticked me off the most (sure a decent score, but last in that group of 4). So I just don't pay attention to the way the show ranks the rides, it's all skewed anyway.

* This post was modified at 7/11/13 11:14:10 PM *

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by leviathan leviathan Profile at 7/12/13 10:20:40 PM
Good TR. Sounds like a day to make lemonade...

And I'm with you Jen...I'm missing my Volcano fix. Haven't been there in a few years :) Probably my favorite launch coaster anywhere. I hate that it feels like it's missing something, but it's still so unique and fun!

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 7/13/13 6:21:34 AM
I love Volcano and I don't think it is missing anything.People say that it does not use up all the energy it has but I love how it ends speeding up at the end!! How many coasters end dramatically and fast like that???
Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by alpengeistno3 at 7/13/13 12:10:19 PM
chitlins73 said:

I love Volcano and I don't think it is missing anything.People say that it does not use up all the energy it has but I love how it ends speeding up at the end!! How many coasters end dramatically and fast like that???

Kingda Ka
Top Thrill Dragster

Notice a pattern? I don't think ending a ride with a ton of speed is a great layout. It means "they ran out of money".

Paul

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 7/14/13 7:27:54 AM
But Volcano does way more before the end than those Strata coasters.
Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 7/15/13 1:03:30 PM
Nice report Alpen. That stinks that 305 was closed, that is probably my favorite coaster currently, awesome ride. I rode in it's first season, and i definitely got that blackout effect at the bottom of the drop - intense! but the post 1st drop portion of the ride (2nd half) is what makes the ride so great.

On a positive note - a walk on ride on Volcano is rare! I have only ridden it a 3-4 times due to the normally long line and poorly managed loading/capacity. Would love to take a few back to back rides on it. Anaconda i can do without. Probably the roughest arrow coaster i've been on. I wasn't even sure Avalanche was still there! Pretty fun unique coaster and great front seat ride. Love Flight of fear too - underrated. The joker's jinx at SFA was a nice ride after only having ridden the indoor model. I felt like the joker's jinx had a faster entrance to the final corkscrew, got pretty intense!

sounds like a good trip!

* This post was modified at 7/15/13 1:05:35 PM *

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/15/13 6:00:35 PM
HamptonRoadsRider said:

Nice report Alpen. That stinks that 305 was closed, that is probably my favorite coaster currently, awesome ride. I rode in it's first season, and i definitely got that blackout effect at the bottom of the drop - intense! but the post 1st drop portion of the ride (2nd half) is what makes the ride so great.


On a positive note - a walk on ride on Volcano is rare! I have only ridden it a 3-4 times due to the normally long line and poorly managed loading/capacity. Would love to take a few back to back rides on it. Anaconda i can do without. Probably the roughest arrow coaster i've been on. I wasn't even sure Avalanche was still there! Pretty fun unique coaster and great front seat ride. Love Flight of fear too - underrated. The joker's jinx at SFA was a nice ride after only having ridden the indoor model. I felt like the joker's jinx had a faster entrance to the final corkscrew, got pretty intense!

sounds like a good trip!

I like Joker's Jinx better too - I thought I was the only one, LOL!

Jen

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/15/13 10:54:15 PM
chitlins73 said:

But Volcano does way more before the end than those Strata coasters.

Yeah, but 3 heartline rolls after being shot out of the mountain isn't something to write hime about. I'm with paul on either they ran out of money or they just forgot what to do with the rest of the ride and figured a scaffold type set up would do. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy volcano, but for the wait, i'd expect something more.

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 7/16/13 9:54:20 AM
Jen said:

I like Joker's Jinx better too - I thought I was the only one, LOL!

Jen

ha! yeah maybe it's the visible jumbled ball of track. It might just be me, but i really though we were hauling butt in the track before that last corkscrew, got pretty intense for a minute there. I have really found memories of Flight of Fear, rode it opening year with no idea what to expect, or if it was even a coaster until we got to the loading zone. Definitely an "are you sure i should do this?" moment for me and a friend lol

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by alpengeistno3 at 7/16/13 11:23:04 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

chitlins73 said:

But Volcano does way more before the end than those Strata coasters.

Yeah, but 3 heartline rolls after being shot out of the mountain isn't something to write hime about. I'm with paul on either they ran out of money or they just forgot what to do with the rest of the ride and figured a scaffold type set up would do. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy volcano, but for the wait, i'd expect something more.

In the case of Volcano, it was built during the Paramount years and they were not very ambitious with any of their additions (SOB could be considered their most ambitious addition, but the layout they came up with was anything but.) Had Volcano came before FOF instead of after, maybe that would have gave them more room to work with, but I think CF could have designed a 100 times more thrilling ride if they had owned the park during that timeframe.

Paul

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/16/13 2:30:23 PM
Hem, true. I wonder, if* (not saying it should) CF decide to move FoF elsewhere, could they give volcano the expansion it needs or is it too late to change a thing about Volcano?
Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 7/16/13 2:44:22 PM
^^ I agree Volcano could be a bit longer perhaps, but i'd take it over say The Great Bear any day. I find it at least as fun as Alpengeist. I may be a bit spoiled with have Alpengeist so close, but Volcano has some unique elements that really make it stand out to me.

That said, an extra set of LIMS into a 200ft camel back/zero g roll and then immelmann EDIT: over top of the FoF building sounds like a plan to me lol

* This post was modified at 7/16/13 2:45:39 PM *

Re: 7/9 Kings Dominion TR by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/16/13 4:17:01 PM
Lol, i like that idea :)