Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Today in history: Beast construction began 35 years ago

Today in history: Beast construction began 35 years ago

RobLec RobLec Profile

Posted:
7/10/13 at
1:19:44 PM

Received this in an email from Kings Island:

THIS DATE IN KINGS ISLAND HISTORY: JULY 10, 1978

Construction of the Beast began 35 years ago today. On this date in 1978
(July 10), construction began at Kings Island on a single-track roller coaster that broke all existing records as the longest and fastest with the two longest vertical drops (135 feet and 141 feet): The Beast! The ride still stands today as the longest wooden coaster in the world at 7,359 feet. The Beast has given more than 47 million rides since its debut in 1979, third-most in park history.

Re: Today in history: Beast construction began 35 years ago by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/10/13 3:19:07 PM
Thanks for that tidbit, Rob! I had been thinking about going out there the second week of August, but will probably head to CP/Rock Hall/Waldameer instead.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Today in history: Beast construction began 35 years ago *NM* *NM* by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/10/13 5:04:13 PM

Beast 1979

* This post was modified at 7/10/13 5:04:57 PM *

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Today in history: Beast construction began 35 years ago by drachen drachen Profile at 7/10/13 7:40:25 PM
beastmaster said:

Thanks for that tidbit, Rob! I had been thinking about going out there the second week of August, but will probably head to CP/Rock Hall/Waldameer instead.

Mike

Yeah, save Kings Island for 2014...

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur