Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Negative-G Loop?

Negative-G Loop?

BobbyJoe

Posted:
7/9/13 at
3:37:19 AM

Hello.

I was just wondering if you guys have ever heard of a negative-g loop on a non-inverted rollercoaster. It would essentially look like a normal loop except flipped upsidedown, with the track sloping downward past 90 degrees, curving back underneath itself, and then arriving back on top. The unusual think about this loop is that the cars would be riding along the outside of the track, something I have never seen on non-inverted rollercoaster loops.

Just thought I would ask, since it is an aspect of rollercoaster design that has been on my mind recently.

Re: Negative-G Loop? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/11/13 5:04:49 AM
I don't think that would work. All regular loops are proceeded by a "momentum" hill and momentum is regained coming out of the loop to continue on. With the design you're talking about even with a hill before the loop the train would lose momentum once it reached the top of the upside down loop. I don't think going down a half loop would provide enough momentum to bring it back up and around. You'd probably have a high rate of valleying at the bottom, leaving riders stranded upside down when that happens. There's a reason it hasn't been done and that's probably it. The Top Hat is probably the closest version to riding outside on a loop but even then if it looped back around after the descent it wouldn't make it back to the top.

Jen

Re: Negative-G Loop? by Tomes at 7/13/13 3:54:42 PM
I second Jen.

Well, I mean it wouldn't necessarily lose momentum, and it could be designed to reliably clear the inversion.. But like Jen said, if it ever valleyed, then riders would be stuck upside down which can cause irreversible brain damage, until the train was dismantled (which would also be difficult to do because as soon as you would release the restraints, riders would fall out) . That's the reason why the point at which riders are upside-down is ALWAYS at a locally high point, so that if anything happens and the train loses momentum, it ALWAYS naturally rolls down to where the riders are at a valley with their bodies right-side-up.

But ALSO, that type of loop would be terrible to your health because, A. Some riders' heads would fall off or at least their necks would break, which isn't very nice. B. for those who only sustain minor injuries, blood would rush to their brain unhealthyly and cause [insert applicable medical term].

Notice that the only ride that flips forward 180° to where riders are upside-down is that "crazy squirrel" type of wild mouse-like kiddie coaster. And even that's not exactly 180°, it has a gentle, downwards slope so that they keep rolling... There r more points, but we'll leave it at this.

* This post was modified at 7/13/13 3:57:17 PM *