Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Aerial Perspective - Wayne Stuber Photography

Aerial Perspective - Wayne Stuber Photography

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
7/8/13 at
8:18:50 PM

I've been meaning to post these scans online for some time. The man's name was Wayne Stuber, a roller coaster enthusiast from Lititz, PA. He was also a fan of flight and a photographer.

He was doing this long before Google and Bing images were around. He specialized in aerial photographs of amusement parks, roller coasters, and ball parks and stadiums.

I met him once as a teenager. I found his website and went to check out his stuff. I ended up buying 5 prints, which are now in this album. The prints are not marked, but as these photos are not mine, I wanted to make sure credit was given to Wayne's business. I'd rather not see these photos pop up anywhere unless due credit is given.

Unfortunately, Mr. Stuber passed away in 2007, at the age of 70. He was certainly ahead of his time, in the coaster biz.

Did anyone here know him?

Great White at Morey's Piers from 1996 - the year it opened. The pier has changed quite a bit since then.

--------

Batman: The Ride, from Great Adventure in 1997. Notice there is no Nitro, and the ride is still sleek black...

---------

A 1996 aerial view of Hersheypark, with the brand new Wildcat. Look at all that free land!

---------

Magnum XL-200 in 1991. There's a lot more camping ground and a lot less water park than there is now.

---------

My long-lost Drachen Fire, in 1996, shortly after its 5th inversion castration. I miss this ride terribly...

Full-sized images are in my Facebook albums

* This post was modified at 7/10/13 12:22:13 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Aerial Perspective - Wayne Stuber Photography by alpengeistno3 at 7/8/13 8:36:50 PM
drachen said:


My long-lost Drachen Fire, in 1996, shortly after its 5th inversion castration. I miss this ride terribly...

Full-sized images are in my Facebook albums

Don't forget a fully operational Big Big Bad Wolf in the background. There has probably been as many changes made in Busch's Germany section as Midway America in the above Hershey picture!

Paul

* This post was modified at 7/8/13 8:39:13 PM *

Re: Aerial Perspective - Wayne Stuber Photography by Aldo at 7/9/13 3:06:34 AM
I remember visiting his website back in late 1997/ early 1998. I never met him but he posted some great aerial photos. One of my personal favorites was one he took of The Mighty Canadian Minebuster at my home park, Canada's Wonderland, way before the water park was built around it.

I really like that photo of Drachen Fire. I never had the chance to ride Drachen Fire but I remember seeing a photo of it from Busch Gardens 1994 brochure. It was (and still is) the coolest looking coaster I have ever seen.

Where on facebook could I find you Drachen?

Re: Aerial Perspective - Wayne Stuber Photography by drachen drachen Profile at 7/9/13 9:51:34 AM
Aldo said:

I really like that photo of Drachen Fire. I never had the chance to ride Drachen Fire but I remember seeing a photo of it from Busch Gardens 1994 brochure. It was (and still is) the coolest looking coaster I have ever seen.

Where on facebook could I find you Drachen?

Drachen Fire was an absolutely stunning coaster, especially when it was running. Arrow track is very appealing, and when you factor in Drachen Fire's twisted layout and excellent color scheme, you had one gorgeous steel coaster.

On Faceboook I use the name 'Park Connoisseur'.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Aerial Perspective - Wayne Stuber Photography by PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile at 7/9/13 12:49:49 PM
Drachen Fire was indeed a great coaster esp at night. Nothing like seeing the red lights that ran along the side of the train as it went through the course. Even after they butchered it was still a great ride.
Re: Aerial Perspective - Wayne Stuber Photography by parkbookman parkbookman Profile at 7/9/13 12:52:11 PM
Wayne was a great guy and I really respected his passion for aerial photography. He shot dozens of coasters that are no longer with us. For many years, you could subscribe to a service where he would send you two aerials every month.

I remember at the 1991 ACE Con at Kennywood, Wayne ducked out in the morning to shoot the park. Soon after we could see a plane circling the park. I always got a kick out of the fact that I am probably one of the dots in his Kennywood pics.

Re: Aerial Perspective - Wayne Stuber Photography by alpengeistno3 at 7/9/13 1:49:49 PM
I really need to dig up all my old Drachen Fire pictures and scan them. I have shots from nearly every angle possible. Sounds like a project before school gets back in session.

Paul

Re: Aerial Perspective - Wayne Stuber Photography by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/9/13 3:23:17 PM
That'd be great. Sadly my only memory of DF was from the train. I think this was well before AC was built and at that time I was still too young/afraid of the big coasters. The vids on youtube are nice, but it isn't the same.
Re: Aerial Perspective - Wayne Stuber Photography by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/9/13 3:37:42 PM
I don't remember much about Drachen Fire, other than that I rode it with my nephew and I liked it a lot.

But I do, in fact, still have my DF t-shirt. It's pretty faded, but still wearable...and it fits!

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Aerial Perspective - Wayne Stuber Photography by Coaster316 at 7/9/13 5:28:01 PM
Thanks for posting these pics. I had forgotten about his work.

I think I met Wayne only once at a Phoenix Phall Phunpest when Tony Rossi introduced me to him. They were pretty close. Seemed like a genuine, nice guy.

Re: Aerial Perspective - Wayne Stuber Photography by drachen drachen Profile at 7/9/13 6:04:07 PM
parkbookman said:

Wayne was a great guy and I really respected his passion for aerial photography. He shot dozens of coasters that are no longer with us. For many years, you could subscribe to a service where he would send you two aerials every month.


I remember at the 1991 ACE Con at Kennywood, Wayne ducked out in the morning to shoot the park. Soon after we could see a plane circling the park. I always got a kick out of the fact that I am probably one of the dots in his Kennywood pics.

That's a great way to put it... Thanks for sharing. Everyone seems to only have nice things to say about him.

Paul, I would LOVE to see your Drachen Fire photos. I hope you can find time to put them online.

Coaster316 said:

Thanks for posting these pics. I had forgotten about his work.

I think I met Wayne only once at a Phoenix Phall Phunpest when Tony Rossi introduced me to him. They were pretty close. Seemed like a genuine, nice guy.

I think Pennsylvania breeds a good type of enthusiast... I'm told that Wayne's wife still lives in Lititz, where I bought the photos in my teenage years.

I'm happy to share the pics - I'm only sorry I waited so long to digitize them. I'd love to see more, if anyone has them.

* This post was modified at 7/10/13 11:06:52 AM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Aerial Perspective - Wayne Stuber Photography by Aldo at 7/10/13 2:05:31 AM

Drachen Fire was an absolutely stunning coaster, especially when it was running. Arrow track is very appealing, and when you factor in Drachen Fire's twisted layout and excellent color scheme, you had one gorgeous steel coaster.

I could not agree with you more. I always loved the way Arrow track looked. As awesome as B&M is I was never too crazy about their box beam track.

And yes, Drachen Fire had a beautiful colour scheme and cool looking trains. When I saw this photo of DF from BG's 1994 brochure it literally took my breath away: http://bgwfans.com/files/2009/08/drachen-fire3.jpg

* This post was modified at 7/10/13 2:06:26 AM *

Re: Aerial Perspective - Wayne Stuber Photography by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 7/11/13 1:38:01 AM
That "no nitro picture" hurts my heart. ;-;
- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Aerial Perspective - Wayne Stuber Photography by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/11/13 4:18:43 AM
You can see the Moon Flume in the Gadv pic - I loved that flume! Steepest drop on a flume that I've ever been on. :-(

Jen

Re: Aerial Perspective - Wayne Stuber Photography by drachen drachen Profile at 7/11/13 9:41:57 AM
GoYanks34 said:

You can see the Moon Flume in the Gadv pic - I loved that flume! Steepest drop on a flume that I've ever been on. :-(


Jen

Was the flume a casualty of Nitro's arrival?

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Aerial Perspective - Wayne Stuber Photography by alpengeistno3 at 7/11/13 3:01:34 PM
drachen said:

GoYanks34 said:

You can see the Moon Flume in the Gadv pic - I loved that flume! Steepest drop on a flume that I've ever been on. :-(


Jen

Was the flume a casualty of Nitro's arrival?

No, they took it out between El Toro and Dark Knight's installation, it think. Whenever they put the Wiggles in.

Paul

Re: Aerial Perspective - Wayne Stuber Photography by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/11/13 3:15:17 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

drachen said:

GoYanks34 said:

You can see the Moon Flume in the Gadv pic - I loved that flume! Steepest drop on a flume that I've ever been on. :-(


Jen

Was the flume a casualty of Nitro's arrival?

No, they took it out between El Toro and Dark Knight's installation, it think. Whenever they put the Wiggles in.

Paul

Was closed during the 2006 season - the season when they also took Free Fall and the Chiller sat dormant. Bastards. :-(
http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/Hydro%20Flume.htm

Jen

Re: Aerial Perspective - Wayne Stuber Photography by alpengeistno3 at 7/11/13 3:47:24 PM
GoYanks34 said:

alpengeistno3 said:

drachen said:

GoYanks34 said:

You can see the Moon Flume in the Gadv pic - I loved that flume! Steepest drop on a flume that I've ever been on. :-(


Jen

Was the flume a casualty of Nitro's arrival?

No, they took it out between El Toro and Dark Knight's installation, it think. Whenever they put the Wiggles in.

Paul

Was closed during the 2006 season - the season when they also took Free Fall and the Chiller sat dormant. Bastards. :-(
http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/Hydro%20Flume.htm

Jen

That's it. I didn't really miss it since I liked the other flume better. The mid ride drops were more surprising than the typical lift to drop that Moon Flume had (I think it was called Riptide when I rode it.)

Paul

Re: Aerial Perspective - Wayne Stuber Photography by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/12/13 10:36:16 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

That's it. I didn't really miss it since I liked the other flume better. The mid ride drops were more surprising than the typical lift to drop that Moon Flume had (I think it was called Riptide when I rode it.)

Paul

Yeah but back in the day the line for the Log Flume easily reached 3+ hours and the Moon Flume was never more than an hour or so - the capacity was insane on that one. Plus, in addition to the great drop it had one of those air time bumps after the drop - LOVE those! It was a flume I could get a "wee" on as well (probably not so much today).

Jen