Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Am I The Only One Who Loves Knoebels' Black Diamond

Am I The Only One Who Loves Knoebels' Black Diamond

Coaster316

Posted:
7/8/13 at
9:15:35 AM

From what I've read and people I've talked to, Black Diamond at Knoebels does not seem to be overly popular. For me, though, it has quickly become one of my favorite rides in the park.

I visited Knoebels yesterday and Black Diamond was the only ride I rode more than once. Its not a thrill ride, and maybe the fact that I knew that beforehand helped, but the scenes are good and the experience is really, really fun.

I've probably only ridden it four or five times in total, but each time I've seen little things I hadn't noticed before and I think the small touches are being overlooked by those expecting either more theming or more thrills.

Anyone else care to join me on the Black Diamond bandwagon?

Re: Am I The Only One Who Loves Knoebels' Black Diamond by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/8/13 9:40:11 AM
I'm in.

Although I have no specific memories of Gold Nugget, it had to have been one of my first coasters in its original incarnation in Wildwood. I rode Black Diamond last year...just once..and enjoyed it immensely. I think Knoebels did a really good job.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Am I The Only One Who Loves Knoebels' Black Diamond by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/8/13 12:50:28 PM
Coaster316 said:

Anyone else care to join me on the Black Diamond bandwagon?
Well, sure I would! If I could ever be at Knoebel's the same time you are, Jeff!

As to how Black Diamond is "perceived" as you alluded to there is lots to see in there. In my three rides over two visits I bet I've managed only to see about half of everything...not that I recall exactly what I have seen. It's like starting over when I get to Elysburg just once a year. But I do like the ride.

Mike B.
Re: Am I The Only One Who Loves Knoebels' Black Diamond by leviathan leviathan Profile at 7/8/13 2:47:55 PM
My son loves it!

I wish I could join the bandwagon. I do like it and they did a spectacular job with the scenes. It really is a neat ride.

I just think that when you compare the price of that to say Phoenix, it's a tough sell with today's crowd.

People generally go to amusement parks for the thrill factor, not typically for nostalgia. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a financially regrettable decision *ahem* Flying Turns *ahem*

Re: Am I The Only One Who Loves Knoebels' Black Diamond by ray_p ray_p Profile at 7/8/13 3:54:10 PM
leviathan said:

I just think that when you compare the price of that to say Phoenix, it's a tough sell with today's crowd.

I haven’t been on Black Diamond, but I have to jump in here on the price comment.

Knoebels ride prices are dirt cheap. When amazing wooden coasters like Twister and Phoenix are only $2.25, to me that is a steal. By comparison, Ravine Flyer II at Waldameer is $4.50. The Cyclone at Coney Island is $8 (or something along those lines). Heck, even carnival coasters are in the $6+ range. And if we really want to go nuts, that piece of crap TOGO coaster at New York New York in Las Vegas costs $15 for one ride. So for a themed ride like Black Diamond to be only $2.50-$3 (don’t know the exact price off hand), that is a fantastic deal to me.

I realize that BD is not included with the Ride All Day Pass (same goes for Haunted Mansion), but really, the additional charge is very nominal at best. I’d say it’s even a better deal than seeing a bunch of plastic dinosaurs at your local Cedar Fair park for a $5 upcharge! :)

People generally go to amusement parks for the thrill factor, not typically for nostalgia.

Knoebels really doesn't market themselves as a thrill park though. They promote the park as a great family destination where there is something for everyone and you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to have a good time.

Just my 2 cents....

Re: Am I The Only One Who Loves Knoebels' Black Diamond by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/8/13 10:24:07 PM
The last two PPP's have included not only the freebie hour on Haunted Mansion, but a ticket (or was it two?) for Black Diamond.

BTW, one of my favorite Knoebel's ride would cost 75 cents (at PPP it's all part of the deal): Skyslide.
When I go on that, I'm younger by a factor of 10, which makes me 6.
:-)

Mike B.
Re: Am I The Only One Who Loves Knoebels' Black Diamond by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/9/13 3:08:27 PM
ray_p said:

leviathan said:

I haven’t been on Black Diamond, but I have to jump in here on the price comment.

Knoebels ride prices are dirt cheap. When amazing wooden coasters like Twister and Phoenix are only $2.25, to me that is a steal. By comparison, Ravine Flyer II at Waldameer is $4.50. The Cyclone at Coney Island is $8 (or something along those lines). Heck, even carnival coasters are in the $6+ range. And if we really want to go nuts, that piece of crap TOGO coaster at New York New York in Las Vegas costs $15 for one ride. So for a themed ride like Black Diamond to be only $2.50-$3 (don’t know the exact price off hand), that is a fantastic deal to me.

I realize that BD is not included with the Ride All Day Pass (same goes for Haunted Mansion), but really, the additional charge is very nominal at best. I’d say it’s even a better deal than seeing a bunch of plastic dinosaurs at your local Cedar Fair park for a $5 upcharge! :)

People generally go to amusement parks for the thrill factor, not typically for nostalgia.

Knoebels really doesn't market themselves as a thrill park though. They promote the park as a great family destination where there is something for everyone and you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to have a good time.

Just my 2 cents....

Very true about the NYNY roller coaster. The reride or 2nd ride is another $7 or like $10.50 for 2 rides. The coaster isn't all that great to be worth an all day pass unless you just wanted to justify the cost (maybe 5 rides so it's worth $5 each).
Cyclone, what sucks about the new management is they don't allow people to wait for the next train to keep the lines moving. This was also true on a relatively slow day. So even that ride is over priced for something they don't allow you to really pick the seat you want (at least it isn't assigned ...yet).

For Phoenix, do they allow you to wait for the front or back row or are you forced to take the next available seat?

Lol, but at least the dinosaurs, you can take your time walking thru. BD you're on a ride and it's over in a few minutes. j/k I know what you mean about the dinos, it isn't worth it - maybe once, but that's it.

* This post was modified at 7/9/13 3:16:25 PM *

Re: Am I The Only One Who Loves Knoebels' Black Diamond by Jersey_Joe Jersey_Joe Profile at 7/10/13 3:59:49 PM
Hi Jeff! You may remember I told you about my daughter Katie and the original Golden Nugget which was on Hunt's Pier, later Dyno Island Pier. She was maybe 6 years old, all excited, running to the Golden Nugget and screaming, "I WANNA RIDE THE CHICKEN NUGGET!" We all still laugh about this some 18 years later.

I told her the other day we have to go to Knoebels and ride the "Chicken Nugget".

Glad you liked the Black Diamond. It's an old classic!

Jersey Joe

Re: Am I The Only One Who Loves Knoebels' Black Diamond by leviathan leviathan Profile at 7/12/13 10:01:07 PM
For Phoenix, do they allow you to wait for the front or back row or are you forced to take the next available seat?

Thankfully, they do allow queuing for each individual seat!

Re: Am I The Only One Who Loves Knoebels' Black Diamond by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/12/13 10:05:19 PM
Jersey_Joe said:

I told her the other day we have to go to Knoebels and ride the "Chicken Nugget".
Jersey Joe

How 'bout at this year's PPP, Joe?
Be nice to see you and the family.
It's been too long.

Mike B.
Re: Am I The Only One Who Loves Knoebels' Black Diamond by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/12/13 10:29:06 PM
leviathan said:

Thankfully, they do allow queuing for each individual seat!

Thanks! Now that is good value. Imo, if you can't choose the seat you want for the money spent to ride it, (no matter how historic) it isn't worth it.