Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Height of Gatekeeper

Height of Gatekeeper

chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile

Posted:
7/5/13 at
12:06:12 PM

I just got back from my Cedar Point trip.As I was standing in line for Gatekeeper I started thinking and wandering why Gatekeeper was not built over 200 feet.I think it would have been much cooler to break the wing coaster height record by advertising it as the world's first hyper wing coaster!!! Any thoughts or logical answers to this question?? So now I have been on all 3 wing coasters in the United States and it is a close call to say which one is the best but I have to go with Gatekeeper over Wild Eagle.I like the speed and keyhole element of Gatekeeper.Also the twist at the top of the first drop is really unique!!

Re: Height of Gatekeeper by antikythera antikythera Profile at 7/5/13 12:23:34 PM
I wondered that as well when I rode it. Although I'm not a Cedar Point expert nor an engineer, I'm going to gander it was probably a combination of the park's decision and B&M. I'm sure the latter probably doesn't have the schematics down yet on making a hyper wing that is reliable and comfortable, although I'm sure it's in the works, if not already completed.

* This post was modified at 7/5/13 12:24:00 PM *

Re: Height of Gatekeeper by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/5/13 2:50:02 PM
antikythera said:

I wondered that as well when I rode it. Although I'm not a Cedar Point expert nor an engineer, I'm going to gander it was probably a combination of the park's decision and B&M. I'm sure the latter probably doesn't have the schematics down yet on making a hyper wing that is reliable and comfortable, although I'm sure it's in the works, if not already completed.

IMHO the coaster breaks no records at all but has made up statistics for advertising purposes only. Its a STEEL COASTER yadda tall, Yadda long, with yadda inversions.

Whats left? Is it a good coaster or not? Is it good for the park or not?

The answer to both are YES.

* This post was modified at 7/5/13 2:51:07 PM *

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Height of Gatekeeper by Tomes at 7/10/13 2:50:55 AM
I don't think it's because B&M can't make them over 200'..

Why isn't there a floorless coaster, or a B&M invert, or a flying coaster or a stand-up coaster over 200'? I think for the same reason there's no winged coaster over 200'; it would be super expensive for the park and wouldn't necessarily pay off. A 170' winged coaster is already one of the tallest regular, full-circuit looping coasters as it is, and it's a unique style with some new elements only seen in 1 other coaster in America. Enough to bring 100000s of visitors to the park this year.

If they built the coaster another 30ft higher, they would have to increase the height of some of their elements like the immelman and the already huge corkscrew, and it would be more and more expensive. It would be cool though..