Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Much of Luna park including Wonder Wheel and Cyclone closed

Much of Luna park including Wonder Wheel and Cyclone closed

CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile

Posted:
7/2/13 at
7:32:11 PM

Astro Tower is Swaying bad and it is feared its structurally unsound. I guess this is till further notice???????????

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/07/02/structural-stability-in-doubt-at-coney-island-astrotower/

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Much of Luna park including Wonder Wheel and Cyclone closed by alpengeistno3 at 7/2/13 8:27:51 PM
Guess this is going to put a wrinkle in the park's plans to allow it to stand and rot as long as the Thunderbolt.

Taer it down already! (Call SFOT and Cedar Point if you need a demolitions expert)

Paul

Re: Much of Luna park including Wonder Wheel and Cyclone closed by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/3/13 12:06:47 AM
I dunno if they can. That space is pretty tight. You have the building on one side and air race on the other. I get they weren't going to use the tower anymore, but did they have to squeeze in on its footprint? Even if the 'car' was there and set to the ground, the barrier would be under it.

I appreciate the preservation effort, but I would've just demolished or relocated the tower and put something else on that spot.

*Not that the tower is going to tip over in minutes the way the media was hyping it up, but who knows? When was the last time anyone inspected the tower since it was shut down?

* This post was modified at 7/3/13 3:04:49 AM *

Re: Much of Luna park including Wonder Wheel and Cyclone closed by drachen drachen Profile at 7/3/13 1:54:45 AM
Yes, a solid steel tower with a massive concrete base, that has been standing for 50 years is going just fall over in the wind.

Give me a break, New York. Maybe it just had one too many Big Gulps...

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Much of Luna park including Wonder Wheel and Cyclone closed by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/3/13 10:03:22 AM
I think it's a shame that observation tower isn't still operating.

Knocking an observation tower over with explosives isn't the only way to take one down. It's just the least expensive way. A crane can be raised to lower it piece by piece like they did with the 350-foot tall Von Roll Sky Tower that used to stand at Marineland of the Pacific in Southern California. I watched them dismantle that tower 18 years ago.

Re: Much of Luna park including Wonder Wheel and Cyclone closed by jimvid at 7/3/13 10:32:52 AM
Demolition by explosions in NYC is not permitted. Additionally there are too many other pieces of property situated near the tower.

The engineers report should be out by noon today but as of right now the city DOB says that the structure is stable and sound after their initial review last night.

The only way the tower can be taken down is with a crane and in pieces.

Re: Much of Luna park including Wonder Wheel and Cyclone closed by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/3/13 10:55:35 AM
drachen said:

Yes, a solid steel tower with a massive concrete base, that has been standing for 50 years is going just fall over in the wind.

Give me a break, New York. Maybe it just had one too many Big Gulps...

Aparently they aren't solid steel and the bases aren't that deep. I've watched both Geauga's and CPs sway. Bend a pencil long enough, It will eventually break.

In every probablility they are rightfully concerned and lets not forget Sandy battered the area for about 6hrs last fall.

Chuck

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Much of Luna park including Wonder Wheel and Cyclone closed by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/3/13 5:04:43 PM
Yup, exactly. ^
Re: Much of Luna park including Wonder Wheel and Cyclone closed by drachen drachen Profile at 7/3/13 5:51:20 PM
Those tower rides are anchored with TONS of concrete, more than enough to keep the ride upright.

I realize that they are not one solid piece, rather a couple solid pieces bolted together. Either way, there is no amount of wind that will topple one of these towers. That pencil is not snapping...

The inspectors said the structure is sound. This is nothing more than people overreacting.

Conversely, I agree with Eric. The ride should be operational.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Stable or not, Its coming down by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/4/13 4:08:33 PM
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/photo-galleries/2013/07/04/a-part-of-brooklyn-history-comes-down-coney-islands-astrotower-partially-dismantled/

Like I said, I was at Geauga once during a storm and theirs actually swayed about 2ft and was still in operation when the storm wasn't Happening. Don't know if it was swaying worse than normal or what. It did concern those in the area that it may fall. They are eliminating that concern.

Chuck

Re: Much of Luna park including Wonder Wheel and Cyclone closed by drachen drachen Profile at 7/4/13 5:54:25 PM
Looks like they are making it less wind resistant.

I'll maintain that no earthly wind speed would bring one of these guys down, provided all the bolts are tight...

* This post was modified at 7/4/13 11:13:01 PM *

drachen
Re: Much of Luna park including Wonder Wheel and Cyclone closed by alpengeistno3 at 7/4/13 7:30:49 PM
Well, in the end, if patrons are worried, it is in the owner's best interest to do something (and make sure cameras are there to film it). Since this became a story, they couldn't just sweep it under the rug or it would be in the back of everyone's mind during what will probably to be one of their most lucrative 4th holidays in years.

Paul

Re: Much of Luna park including Wonder Wheel and Cyclone closed by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/4/13 9:36:09 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Well, in the end, if patrons are worried, it is in the owner's best interest to do something (and make sure cameras are there to film it). Since this became a story, they couldn't just sweep it under the rug or it would be in the back of everyone's mind during what will probably to be one of their most lucrative 4th holidays in years.

Paul

Heres Video of it swaying and whats strange about it, IT don't appear to be windy at all. Look at the trees, The Gulls aren't struggling against wind either. Would have me going HUM? Earthquake? At least Geauga's and CP's would only do it during windy conditions but they are both gone too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2Ma6tB8cIg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Re: Much of Luna park including Wonder Wheel and Cyclone closed by alpengeistno3 at 7/4/13 10:33:29 PM
Well, I guess I can see the initial alarm from the public/authorities. It is not a natural "in the breeze" sway. It is rocking (ie, something is loose at the base) and whatever set it in motion had kept it going.

While there may not be a breeze on the ground, at the height that thing is up in the air, there may have been enough moment to get it going and the momentum is keeping it rocking.

Drachen, is right, it probably won't fall, but it does indeed look unstable. And that was the point of the attention.

Paul

Re: Much of Luna park including Wonder Wheel and Cyclone closed by drachen drachen Profile at 7/4/13 11:18:53 PM
Here is the video Chuck linked.

The Luna Park people were saying that the tower will do this from time to time.

I guess I just don't get how wind can do that to a tower that is only 250 feet tall. It seems to me that such a ride would handle it no problem.

The closest one to me is at Hersheypark. I will be sure to take a close look at it the next time I go.

Like one of you said, even if it's not windy on the ground, the air should be moving up at the top.

drachen
Re: Much of Luna park including Wonder Wheel and Cyclone closed by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/5/13 8:52:15 AM
Im not sure but i think those old Intamin Observation towers are sat down on a base that goes up into the pipe. they are the only ones I've seen the whole structure sway. The new towers such as Drop Zone, Windseeker may sway at the top. Heck even Eiffel towers do some, But the whole shaft sways on them old ones. Almost like the tower is the female end and the male end is inside it on the bottom.. (Pardon the sexual reference) But what im trying to say, Is it seems able to wiggle??? If thats the case, Its entirely possible for stress fractures around the base and a expansion of the tower around it.

The new towers are bolted around the base on the outside, much the same as coaster supports.

I also note the observation car isn't parked one third of the way up the tower like it was when I visited in 2008 and as I've seen everyone of them stationed when not in use. Don't know if that has anything to do with anything, However I do know that CP had a sling shot type ride

Re: Much of Luna park including Wonder Wheel and Cyclone closed by kdleader kdleader Profile at 7/5/13 10:22:56 AM
There isn't much indication of wind but if you look closely at the lower right corner of the screen you can see flags blowing in the distance.

* This post was modified at 7/5/13 10:24:51 AM *

Re: Much of Luna park including Wonder Wheel and Cyclone closed by alpengeistno3 at 7/6/13 7:11:54 AM
Looks like all they needed was a little "motivation" to decide to taer it down. Amazing how a little video and national attention can make that money suddenly appear.

Paul

Astrotower’s Demolition Sparks Concerns From Business Owners, Residents

* This post was modified at 7/6/13 7:13:19 AM *

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.