Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG!

Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG!

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
6/29/13 at
3:59:12 PM

*Don't forget to right click on the pics and hit view picture for a better look!*

Our URC Hershey trip was this past Monday and naturally it was one of the hottest days of the year. It was 92 F with 90% humidity at one point. The crowds were pretty light or perhaps people were melting into the concrete. We all met by the front gate (I was a bit late after getting slammed in traffic) and entered the park around 10 am. It was Me, Mike G., Paul, Judy & Calvin, Ken, and Jon (ktujon). Lee (schrecken) was to meet up with us later. I went to get a handicap pass in case we needed it, which we never did, so I wasted 15 minutes of my life. They never even asked to see my Drs note! They just saw I had a cane and that was enough – ridiculous. And they were very SLOW.

We headed straight to Fahrenheit and there was about a 5-10 minute wait. We all take our seats and the ride op sees my handicap wristband and needs to see my ride card to see if I’m allowed to ride. We went on the regular line! Are you kidding me? So after she got my fanny pack off the baggage hold area and I showed her we were off. It was OK. Fahrenheit never really did much for me and it was rattling pretty bad (and we were in the 2nd or 3rd row). That coaster needs some TLC and fast.

The best part of the ride is the vertical lift IMO

Next we headed over to my personal favorite, Storm Runner, and had an awesome marathon!

It would have been even better if they didn’t rope off the seats from the middle of the train through the last row. Stupid! They kept making us go around and get back on.

Paul and Jon second row starting to launch - notice all the empty rows in the back

I honestly lost count of how many times we rode. Since Ken and I waited for the front a few times the others got some extra in I’m sure. I got a call from Lee and told her where we were and she said she was on her way. At this point I realized that Mike, Judy and Calvin weren’t riding anymore. Ken said he saw them by the benches so we took a walk over but they weren’t there. Paul and Jon joined us and we figured they went over to Sidewinder. We decided to get a few more launches in (I believe Paul’s exact words were “Sidewinder or Storm Runner?” while moving his hands up and down weighing the decision, LOL). We went back on and I got a text from Judy asking where we were. I told her we were still on SR and she said they went by Trailblazer because Mike needed some shade and they would catch up with us later. We went on SR some more and then headed to Sidewinder.

Sidewinder from Storm Runner's queue

Got a call from Lee and she had some problems with her computer printed ticket but she was on her way now. I went up to the back and the rest went to the front (they are seriously crazy if they think boomerangs are better in the front – NO WAY!). Got 2 consecutive rides and I even got some “wees”! I was getting “wees” like crazy so far – I was quite happy!

Sidewinder classic shot

Lee found us while we were getting off and her and Ken took another ride.

Ken and Lee 6th row down

At this point we were going to head over to Wild Cat (Don’t worry – I had NO intention of riding it, LOL) so I texted Judy to see if she wanted us to wait for them to come back up. She texted back that they were with the paramedics and going to first aid. We had no idea what the hell was going on and as I texted her back there goes a paramedic cart right by us with Mike on it! Ken ran after it and I saw Judy and Calvin walking up. She said he fainted and they were taking him to first aid. I felt terrible. She told us to go, that there’s no reason for all of us to be sitting in there and she’d keep us posted. Ken came back and said Mike seemed really out of it and was dripping with sweat. It was brutally hot and humid.

We finally went over to Wild Cat but only Jon and Paul rode it – the rest of us like our spines :-P . I took a smoke break and when they didn’t come off after I was done with my cigarette I knew they were poaching. I still don’t know how many rides they got but it was a couple. (I didn't take any pics of Wild Cat - didn't want to hurt my good camera!)

We headed over to the best Wild Mouse in the country and took a spin – SO fun!

Best wild mouse ever!

We then went to Lightning Racer and as usual I got on Thunder in the back since I have that aversion to anything red and we WON!! I NEVER win on Thunder! It was very exciting.

Thunder wins!

Still running nicely. I was starting to get a bad headache and was feeling weird so I went and got a soda and the rest got in a few more on LR.

Lightning Racer

I felt better after some caffeine and sugar (I probably had already drank a gallon of water!). We decided to go and get lunch at the BBQ place by Trailblazer. If Paul is there you actually have no choice but to eat there! :-) The food is good but pricey.

Paul giving a eulogy for Roller Soaker in front of the new sprayground

While we were eating there was a cowboy show going on by the tables. It was seriously the most annoying, horrible show I have ever been subjected to at a park. They were trying to get people, who were in the middle of eating, to participate and they were jumping up on the tables while people were eating! I said if anyone jumps on my table while I’m eating my cane is going up their ass. They were so loud we couldn’t even talk to each other. Terrible!

Took a ride on Trailblazer after lunch and then we were heading to Chocolate World (CW) to ride the Chocolate Tour and we passed Skyrush on the way out. There was no line except for the front row and I decided it was time. If that coaster beat the crap out of me again I would at least have time to recover at CW! We got on row 4 and I took the right middle seat. I scooted my butt as far forward as I could, bent my legs under the seat (which is much more easily done in a middle seat since there is a step you can brace your foot on in the middle of the 2 seats) and I held on pushing the restraints out the entire time. I can’t believe I’m going to say this but I actually enjoyed it! I finally had a good ride on Skyrush! I never felt/realized how much air time is on it before because I was in so much pain and so uncomfortable that I just wanted the ride to end. I was able to defensively ride it and concentrate on the layout instead of my back/thighs killing me. It still ratcheted down but not nearly as bad as last year. It was uncomfortable but not painful. I unlatched the seat belt at the end and it popped up nicely (a nice tip I got on a Hershey Facebook forum with some of the others). I was so happy!

FINALLY! I felt what it was like to enjoy Skyrush!

Then we got right back on and rode again. The ride op tried to put me in the back row and I said “Hell no!” – I wasn’t ready for that yet. We got in row 6 and I tried a wing seat. It was much harder to stay comfortable and keep my form. My triceps were killing me after we got off from pushing out so hard the entire ride. Not nearly as good as the first one and I was exhausted. Everyone else went back on and I played the role of photographer. Actually got them in a few pics riding in the back row (psychos)!

Look at psycho Ken in the back row with his hands up! (Jon, Paul, Lee and Ken last row)

Coming around again!

We then went over to CW and took the obligatory Choc. tour and we actually got little Hershey bars at the end! It’s been one Hershey kiss for the last 2 years – we were all very impressed. We then went and got the most delicious shakes and took a group pic with the Hershey bar (too bad it’s missing Mike, Judy and Calvin).

Lee, me, Jon, Paul and Ken with the chocolate bar

All of the rides were shut down for approximately 30 minutes due to storms in the area at this point. None ever hit us but at least they were down while we were out of the park. Once we saw them testing SkR we headed back.

I had been texting with Judy back and forth during the day and they stayed at the hotel. Her and Calvin went to the pool and Mike took a nap.

We went back in and took a spin on Comet. Running beautifully! SO underrated...

Comet still as good as ever!

Then headed to Sooper Dooper Looper and me and Ken rode in the front row – I had never rode the front on that one before, believe it or not. It was a good ride.

Looper and Great Bear from the Tower

Headed to Coal Cracker next and boy was it hot on those covered stairs. Me, Lee and Ken got in one boat and Paul and Jon in another. I barely got 2 drops of water on me and Lee was soaked! I LOVE the jump at the end. While I hate getting soaked, a few more drops would have been nice.

This is the only place to get a decent pic of Coal Cracker - the Kissing Tower

Great Bear was up next and we took a last row seat. The ride op was a pain in the ass and made us ride with another person so I couldn’t get a wing seat but I was next to Paul which is a comedy show on Great Bear! You should all try it sometime – he’s extremely entertaining! :-)

Great Bear

Went up the Kissing Tower for some pics next and it was hot inside. We weren’t happy. Perhaps it was from when the power was off earlier. It seemed to be spinning faster too – I felt like it was a very short ride and only got a couple of decent pics.

Kissing tower - so warm inside :-(

While we were over there I wanted to ride the Falcon. I had never been on it before (that I can remember anyway). Fun little ride.

Falcon next to Storm Runner

Headed to Reeses Cup Challenge next to get some cool air and I was in the back row alone so I took one gun in each hand. That was apparently a mistake – I SUCKED! Paul, Jon and some lady beat Me Ken and Lee.

Went over to the flyers next. I have never ridden a flyer (again, not that I can remember anyway) and I wanted to play! They were fun and I got the hand of it pretty quickly. Now I just have to learn to snap!

Flyers

On our way for another spin on Storm Runner we passed The Claw and I wanted to ride – what a HUGE mistake that would be. First, after everyone is seated they ask if anyone on line wants to fill the 3 empty seats left. Naturally, those people are at the back and take forever to get through and in and then the game of musical chairs begins. Apparently virtually EVERY seat is different so people who could not fit in one seat switch seats with others until everyone can fit in. Approximately 1 hour later, we were ready to ride (OK, I may be exaggerating a little here – may have been 45 minutes, LOL). What a waste of time. So not worth it but at least I was sitting during this fiasco.

We then went and took one final lap on Storm Runner and it was glorious!

Still my FAVORITE!

We headed back up front and went on Skyrush once more. It was around 7:45 pm and I was tired. I got on a middle seat row 2. That was actually the worst of all the rides. That heat and humidity had sucked the life out of me by that point so I think I was too tired and didn’t have the strength to ride it properly. The restraints killed me again and ratcheted down so tight I was in pain – I wanted the ride to be over once again. After that I said my goodbyes and left. I had a long ride home and my ankle had just about had it. Everyone else can fill in what happened after I left.

When I got to my car there was a missed call from Mike on my phone – I tried calling him back but he didn’t answer. He left a message and sounded fine – it was good to hear him sounding “normal” (notice the quotation marks – LOL!) and I felt relieved. Judy had to suddenly leave due to another family issue so Mike stayed the night. I spoke to him the next day and I’m happy to report everyone is fine, thank God. Mike can fill you in on the details.

It was an eventful trip to say the least. I had a really good time and we got to ride everything we wanted as many times as we wanted. It was terribly hot and humid but that also kept the crowds down. It was a great day for riding with the exception of Mike’s problem – we all felt horrible. Luckily he, Judy and Calvin went the night before for some rides so at least they got some in. It was great meeting Jon and Lee too. :-)

Hopefully next year we will have better weather!

Jen

* This post was modified at 6/29/13 5:54:08 PM *

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/29/13 5:40:39 PM
Great report Jen. I really had a lot fun. It was great to spend the day with you and Paul again. Jon and Lee are great people also. I talked to Mike the next day also. He was doing much better. It was great to see Mike again. I really wish he could have spent the day with us. Judy and Calvin seemed really nice. I want to send out a thanks to Judy for looking out for Mike. I left the park right after you did. I grabbed one more ride on Skyrush then headed for home. I hope next year more people join us because it really is a great time. It may have been hot, but we really rode a lot. I can't wait until next year.
Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/29/13 7:56:46 PM
Jen, you did a great job on the TR and the photos made me insanely jealous...
--------------------------------------------------
MY STORY

Judy, Calvin, and I did the preview thing on Sunday night. When the park is open until 10, you can use your next day admission ticket to enter the park at 7:30. We were early after a Bob Evans dinner, so we did two circuits through Chocolate World. Always fun, never miss it on a Hershey visit. There were a LOT of people entering on the preview. It was still very hot even past 7:30, and I was exhausted and sweaty after reaching the top of those first inclines. We saw ThighCrush was not running, so we headed back to the Midway area. One ride on Wildcat was enough. I've never disliked it as much as many seem to, but this ride was pretty bad around mid-train.

It's become kind of a tradition for me to close down the park with a marathon on Lightning Racer, which remains my favorite ride in the park. Can usually do it because of mostly non-existent lines and ops who'll let you stay on if no one's in your row waiting, and seat-hop if there are waiters. I stayed on for 18 rides, walking around I think twice. Judy and Calvin interrupted their LR session to take a ride on the nearby Ferris Wheel, then returned to finish the night. Although it didn't seem to be running quite as fast as normal, I didn't have a bad ride in the bunch. Jen mentioned Thunder winning...it won EVERY lap I took, and every one I was a spectator for.

Monday. Ah, Monday. Had a good breakfast at Bob Evans, drinking lots of water knowing how hot it would be at the park. We took my car to the park, stopping at a Wal-Mart and nearly getting trapped in the parking lot (there seemed to be no way out.)

We parked near the Tram stop, which is pretty far from the gate. There were a lot of people waiting for the gates to open. We found Paul, Ken, and Jon at the appointed spot, and Jen arrived not long after.

Jen already mentioned Fahrenheit and our early rides on Storm Runner. I love Storm Runner...just wish it was about 30 seconds longer. I was feeling okay, and got about 3 or 4 rides. When Judy, Calvin and I got off, we kinda lost track of the others and waited on benches near the ride. Then I thought they might have headed to Sidewinder, so we went there. That's when the fun started.

I was already drenched with sweat. As mentioned, I had drank a lot of water, and was drinking more in the park. But none of it stayed in me. Before we boarded, I just didn't feel right. Not sick, no pain, just not right. After the backwards lift to start, I realized I grayed out for the entire forward portion of the ride..couldn't see anything. I closed my eyes for the backwards run. When we got off, I realized my vision was going white. That was a symptom the last coupla times I was hospitalized, but I wasn't having the shortness of breath and abdominal pain that went with it. I told Judy to walk down the path to TrailBlazer with me. I needed to sit down in the shade by the BBQ place and get a fresh iced tea while she and Calvin went on Trail Blazer. I hit the bathroom, got my drink, and sat down. At some point, I realized I was having severe neck pain along with the vision issue. I moved and sat on a low wall by the table.

I thought I simply closed my eyes and nodded off for a moment. When I opened my eyes, Judy told me I'd passed out for several minutes, and paramedics were on their way. They arrived, asked me a few questions, and gave me a bottle of cold water. They told me a cart was coming to take me to first aid. It arrived, and I boarded on my own power. I remember Ken running alongside the cart at one point talking to me. Jogging in that heat? I thought he'd end up joining me!

The first aid building..I don't recall exactly where it was...was air-conditioned, and they also put a fan next to the bed. Some more questions about my diabetes and other things, checked my sugar (better than usual) temperature (a little BELOW normal.)

I told Judy to take Calvin and go do something, already feeling bad about (bleeping) up THEIR day. I laid there with an ice bag under my neck, drifting in and out of 5 minute dozes.

When Judy came back, I gave her my car key. She went and got it and came back for me, parking behind the first aid building. She drove us all back to the motel, where I conked out. The time is a little fuzzy..she said it was about 2pm when we got to the motel and that I conked from then til 4:30. But I was very aware in the latter period of my time in first aid, and was checking my watch regularly. I know it was approaching 2pm before she even arrived with the car. I didn't fall asleep immediately upon arrival at the motel, I believe it was close to 3 when I did. So take that discrepancy for what it's worth.

After waking up, I sat by the pool for a bit, then joined Judy for a swim that felt pretty damn good in a lot of ways. I was feeling about 75% better. We went to eat, and Jen already mentioned an emergency that came up for Judy, so I won't rehash that.

My takeaway from all this? The last several years, I've done much better at taking care at parks to not end up in a situation like this. I was never scared, but I was:

Disappointed that I got to spend so little time with people I like and consider friends. I had never met Jon,but he seemed like a nice fellow, and I never met Lee. But Judy, Jen, Paul, Ken, and Calvin are people whose company I always enjoy, and will, I'm sure, again in the future. I'm glad they were still able to have a good day without the beastmaster for most of it.

Angry that I put myself in that situation, and angry for the effect it had on Judy's day.

Embarrassed. I know I shouldn't be, because this kind of (s***) happens.

Thanks to my companions for their concern and for the early company. Shout-out to Hershey's medical and security staff, who did a very good job. And a special thanks to Judy P. for everything she did for me. She doesn't come on these boards much anymore, and she's out West right now. But I'm sure she knows how much I appreciate what she did and sacrificed.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/29/13 9:08:44 PM
beastmaster said:

Jen, you did a great job on the TR and the photos made me insanely jealous...

We can always go back and get more!

Jen mentioned Thunder winning...it won EVERY lap I took, and every one I was a spectator for.

YAY Thunder! :-)

Jen already mentioned Fahrenheit and our early rides on Storm Runner. I love Storm Runner...just wish it was about 30 seconds longer. I was feeling okay, and got about 3 or 4 rides. When Judy, Calvin and I got off, we kinda lost track of the others and waited on benches near the ride.

How did you guys lose us? We never left the ride. We kept getting off and going back on the entire time.

They told me a cart was coming to take me to first aid. It arrived, and I boarded on my own power. I remember Ken running alongside the cart at one point talking to me. Jogging in that heat? I thought he'd end up joining me!

I had just got my water bottle filled with cold water before that happened and when he came back I forced him to drink it - I said the same thing to him - "we don't need you going down next!" LOL!

When Judy came back, I gave her my car key. She went and got it and came back for me, parking behind the first aid building. She drove us all back to the motel, where I conked out. The time is a little fuzzy..she said it was about 2pm when we got to the motel and that I conked from then til 4:30. But I was very aware in the latter period of my time in first aid, and was checking my watch regularly. I know it was approaching 2pm before she even arrived with the car. I didn't fall asleep immediately upon arrival at the motel, I believe it was close to 3 when I did. So take that discrepancy for what it's worth.

I have a text message from her saying she was taking you back to the motel at 1:29 pm. At 3 pm on the mark I got a picture of Calvin swimming and she said you were sleeping. For what that's worth....

My takeaway from all this? The last several years, I've done much better at taking care at parks to not end up in a situation like this. I was never scared, but I was:

Disappointed that I got to spend so little time with people I like and consider friends. I had never met Jon,but he seemed like a nice fellow, and I never met Lee. But Judy, Jen, Paul, Ken, and Calvin are people whose company I always enjoy, and will, I'm sure, again in the future. I'm glad they were still able to have a good day without the beastmaster for most of it.

Angry that I put myself in that situation, and angry for the effect it had on Judy's day.

Embarrassed. I know I shouldn't be, because this kind of (s***) happens.

Thanks to my companions for their concern and for the early company. Shout-out to Hershey's medical and security staff, who did a very good job. And a special thanks to Judy P. for everything she did for me. She doesn't come on these boards much anymore, and she's out West right now. But I'm sure she knows how much I appreciate what she did and sacrificed.

Mike

We were disappointed you guys had to leave too but relieved that you were OK. We'll have other trips that we'll all go on. We can re-enact our trip later in the season when there's not a heat wave if you'd like, LOL!

Glad you're better!

Jen

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/29/13 9:15:15 PM
She texted you that she was taking us back to the motel before she actually got back with the car. As I said, I knew it was close to 3 when I slept, so that fits the time frame I have in my mind. She was heading out to the pool with Calvin as I was trying to go to to sleep. Then she and I went in the pool after I woke up.
Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by alpengeistno3 at 6/30/13 12:47:29 AM
Great TR, Jen. I've been wanting to post all week, but didn't want to rain on your "photo parade" (Nice shots, BTW)

Comments below.

GoYanks34 said:

Our URC Hershey trip was this past Monday and naturally it was one of the hottest days of the year. It was 92 F with 90% humidity at one point. The crowds were pretty light or perhaps people were melting into the concrete. We all met by the front gate (I was a bit late after getting slammed in traffic) and entered the park around 10 am. It was Me, Mike G., Paul, Judy & Calvin, Ken, and Jon (ktujon). Lee (schrecken) was to meet up with us later. I went to get a handicap pass in case we needed it, which we never did, so I wasted 15 minutes of my life. They never even asked to see my Drs note! They just saw I had a cane and that was enough – ridiculous. And they were very SLOW.

We headed straight to Fahrenheit and there was about a 5-10 minute wait. We all take our seats and the ride op sees my handicap wristband and needs to see my ride card to see if I’m allowed to ride. We went on the regular line! Are you kidding me? So after she got my fanny pack off the baggage hold area and I showed her we were off. It was OK. Fahrenheit never really did much for me and it was rattling pretty bad (and we were in the 2nd or 3rd row). That coaster needs some TLC and fast.

Jon and I were on the train after you guys, in the back row, of course. I was wondering why the ride ops were giving you "the business" before dispatching the ride. I have never seen ops stop someone for a handicap pass when they used the regular boarding entrance. Just another way that pass was more trouble than it was worth (since we never used it). Did you keep the wrist band on all day? None of the other ops seemed to have addressed you about it the rest of the time we were there.

The rattling was equally as bad in the back. Don't know what it is since I can't imagine the wheels being bad on 2 of the 3 trains (most likely all 3 since everyone mentions it.) Nonetheless, when the wait is short, Fahrenheit is an good ride for the park and not that annoying a wait when 3 trains are running (if only the ops weren't stacking them after every cycle while we were there.)

GoYanks34 said:

Next we headed over to my personal favorite, Storm Runner, and had an awesome marathon!

It would have been even better if they didn’t rope off the seats from the middle of the train through the last row. Stupid! They kept making us go around and get back on.

I honestly lost count of how many times we rode.

Jon and I got 5 rides. I wanted to say something to Mike about refusing to ride anywhere except the back, but we were separated after Jon and I went around. (inside joke from Coasterbuzz :) I'm not that bothered by them roping the seats off when the station is empty (we all know other Intamins have operational issues in the AM hours) My problem is how long it took them to open the rows up. We were there for at least an hour. The station was filling up with 3-4 groups on both sides and they STILL don't think they have enough people to fill the train?!?! Even when the line started backing up the steps, the back 8 seats on both trains were still roped off (it wasn't until after we came back for lunch at 2:30 that I can say for sure the full train was open). And when we came back later in the evening (around 6:00?), they could not wait to close them off again with us getting the last ride in the back of the train. As hot as it was, that does not say mechanical ie, rollback issue. That says ops who do not want to put down harnesses for the empty rows. I would rather wait in line for the seat that I want than take 5 rides all up front and in the middle because the ride ops are feeling lazy.

And those steps above the station are murderous during a marathon in 90 degree heat!

GoYanks34 said:

We went on SR some more and then headed to Sidewinder.

Got a call from Lee and she had some problems with her computer printed ticket but she was on her way now. I went up to the back and the rest went to the front (they are seriously crazy if they think boomerangs are better in the front – NO WAY!). Got 2 consecutive rides and I even got some “wees”! I was getting “wees” like crazy so far – I was quite happy!

We've been over this before, but for those who have not heard it...the front of a boomerang is the most intense spot. The forward run has extra drag from having to traverse the station track before hitting the inversions, so they are not as intense on that run. On the return run, the inversions come 1st, so the full force of the drop is applied to them without the drag. If you are in the front on the return run (which becomes the back), you get the most intensity on the more forceful run. It's even more apparent on the Invertigo with your legs dangling (oh yeah, you would have to go to Dorney to ride that :) :) :)

GoYanks34 said:

We finally went over to Wild Cat but only Jon and Paul rode it – the rest of us like our spines :-P . I took a smoke break and when they didn’t come off after I was done with my cigarette I knew they were poaching. I still don’t know how many rides they got but it was a couple. (I didn't take any pics of Wild Cat - didn't want to hurt my good camera!)

Wild Cat was running great (as an 17 year old wooden coaster with no straight track until the brake run can run.) The airtime was vicious on the speed bumps and the ending was as wild as ever (GCI seems to do their best work when dealing with a hillside/valley). I don't have a problem with roughness on the Cat. I have ridden rough wooden coasters (SOB, Hercules, GA Cyclone) and I don't think Wildcat is in the league with those. The MF's have taken a little of the bite out of it, but people who try to fight the curves and bumps will still get "the claws." It's not a nice ride, but other than El Toro, it is still my highest ranked woodie until I get out to Indiana.

We went 3 times in the back without having to get up to move until the 3rd one. Could have easily went more, but I could feel Jen breathing down our neck, so I made Jon get off. :)

GoYanks34 said:

We then went to Lightning Racer and as usual I got on Thunder in the back since I have that aversion to anything red and we WON!! I NEVER win on Thunder! It was very exciting.

Thunder won every race the entire 6 rides we took on Lightning. (sometimes by as many as 3 train lengths) Ken mentioned he saw lots of new wood on the Lightning side, so I am sure that it has not broken in yet. The good news, we almost never had to move since everyone was realizing it and gravitating towards the winning side (The Thunder train was almost filled and we had 4-5 empty rows on the Lightning side. They might as well retire the "And the winner is...Lightning" recording since it would take a huge weight disparity in Lightning's favor to even make it a close race. There was a lot of new wood waiting by the fence, so maybe they will eventually even it out once the park goes back to limited hours.

GoYanks34 said:

I felt better after some caffeine and sugar (I probably had already drank a gallon of water!). We decided to go and get lunch at the BBQ place by Trailblazer. If Paul is there you actually have no choice but to eat there! :-) The food is good but pricey.

Hey, it's like stopping at Geno's on the way home from Gradv and Dorney. Can't miss! :)

GoYanks34 said:

I believe I said "good bye and good riddance!"

GoYanks34 said:

While we were eating there was a cowboy show going on by the tables. It was seriously the most annoying, horrible show I have ever been subjected to at a park. They were trying to get people, who were in the middle of eating, to participate and they were jumping up on the tables while people were eating! I said if anyone jumps on my table while I’m eating my cane is going up their ass. They were so loud we couldn’t even talk to each other. Terrible!

Another case of the "showbiz types" in entertainment wanting to replace a traditional live band with Broadway-style canned music and corny jokes. KD has suffered from this, Busch is going this direction and it is truly sad to see Hershey going the same direction. I didn't like the Country show, but it did more to showcase the performers' talent than that mess they currently have now.

GoYanks34 said:

Took a ride on Trailblazer after lunch.

Don't forget about my challenge that anyone who gets sick on Trailblazer after lunch should turn in their enthusiast card :)

GoYanks34 said:

and then we were heading to Chocolate World (CW) to ride the Chocolate Tour and we passed Skyrush on the way out. There was no line except for the front row and I decided it was time. If that coaster beat the crap out of me again I would at least have time to recover at CW! We got on row 4 and I took the right middle seat. I scooted my butt as far forward as I could, bent my legs under the seat (which is much more easily done in a middle seat since there is a step you can brace your foot on in the middle of the 2 seats) and I held on pushing the restraints out the entire time. I can’t believe I’m going to say this but I actually enjoyed it! I finally had a good ride on Skyrush! I never felt/realized how much air time is on it before because I was in so much pain and so uncomfortable that I just wanted the ride to end. I was able to defensively ride it and concentrate on the layout instead of my back/thighs killing me. It still ratcheted down but not nearly as bad as last year. It was uncomfortable but not painful. I unlatched the seat belt at the end and it popped up nicely (a nice tip I got on a Hershey Facebook forum with some of the others). I was so happy!

Then we got right back on and rode again. The ride op tried to put me in the back row and I said “Hell no!” – I wasn’t ready for that yet. We got in row 6 and I tried a wing seat. It was much harder to stay comfortable and keep my form. My triceps were killing me after we got off from pushing out so hard the entire ride. Not nearly as good as the first one and I was exhausted. Everyone else went back on and I played the role of photographer. Actually got them in a few pics riding in the back row (psychos)!

One thing I might need to point out for those wondering about fitting on Skyrush. Ken and I discovered that the seatbelts in the last row are at least 1 inch shorter than the other rows with the exception of the left wing seat on train 2. Don't know why that one was overlooked, but the ops confirmed that they were shortened back there. (I think they gave Ken a reason why, but I couldn't hear it.) I could buckle my seatbelt on my own anywhere else on the train, but had to get super smashed in to get it in the last row (if you look at Jen's close up, you see me pushing my body up over the bar to keep from having my thighs snapped in half by the airtime hill.)

Slowing the lift at the top has done wonders on reducing the positive G's at the bottom of the 1st drop and the 1st wide turn. I did not feel like I had to hold the lap bar up (though I was not letting go of it just to be sure). Popping the harnesses on the brake run was a move of genius. Didn't expect Intamin to do that. As someone on the last notch of acceptable riding length, I wonder what is to keep the restraints from opening all the way? Is there some kind of regulator on how far the restraints are allowed to open, even if the seatbelt is unfastened?

They also did something in the station to provide more room for loading and unloading. I don't believe the lazy susans took up that much space, so they must have moved the gates back, but there didn't appear to be any holes from the old position. Loading went pretty effortlessly and the trains were dispatching very quickly. So, I guess there is no longer a need for new trains or a complete station redesign for Skyrush.

GoYanks34 said:

We then went over to CW and took the obligatory Choc. tour and we actually got little Hershey bars at the end! It’s been one Hershey kiss for the last 2 years – we were all very impressed. We then went and got the most delicious shakes and took a group pic with the Hershey bar (too bad it’s missing Mike, Judy and Calvin).

All of the rides were shut down for approximately 30 minutes due to storms in the area at this point. None ever hit us but at least they were down while we were out of the park. Once we saw them testing SkR we headed back.

I had been texting with Judy back and forth during the day and they stayed at the hotel. Her and Calvin went to the pool and Mike took a nap.

Jen forgot to mention how cool it was in CW so all the chocolate would not melt. After all those jogs up Skyrush's empty stairs, the rest of us were pretty spent!

GoYanks34 said:

We went back in and took a spin on Comet. Running beautifully! SO underrated...

I thought Comet was running a bit more forceful on the return leg. The brakes on the station turnaround caught very little and the back car was jumping all around on the final bunny hills before the station. Best ride I have had on Comet in years!

GoYanks34 said:

Then headed to Sooper Dooper Looper and me and Ken rode in the front row – I had never rode the front on that one before, believe it or not. It was a good ride.

Seems to me that Looper's trim brake has been increased since last year. Maybe the heat had the train running faster so it produced more braking force (that is how magnetic brakes work), but it really crawled through the final helix rather than sped through it this time. We only had one ride, so I can't say for certain unless someone can back me up as feeling the same.

GoYanks34 said:

Great Bear was up next and we took a last row seat. The ride op was a pain in the ass and made us ride with another person so I couldn’t get a wing seat but I was next to Paul which is a comedy show on Great Bear! You should all try it sometime – he’s extremely entertaining! :-)

What can I say, I love B&M inverted coasters :)

GoYanks34 said:

Headed to Reeses Cup Challenge next to get some cool air and I was in the back row alone so I took one gun in each hand. That was apparently a mistake – I SUCKED! Paul, Jon and some lady beat Me Ken and Lee.

I sucked too. KD's Boo Blasters had the little red dot that you can aim with. I missed that on Hershey's, so I hardly hit anything.

GoYanks34 said:

On our way for another spin on Storm Runner we passed The Claw and I wanted to ride – what a HUGE mistake that would be. First, after everyone is seated they ask if anyone on line wants to fill the 3 empty seats left. Naturally, those people are at the back and take forever to get through and in and then the game of musical chairs begins. Apparently virtually EVERY seat is different so people who could not fit in one seat switch seats with others until everyone can fit in. Approximately 1 hour later, we were ready to ride (OK, I may be exaggerating a little here – may have been 45 minutes, LOL). What a waste of time. So not worth it but at least I was sitting during this fiasco.

Claw was a fiasco. They should have had music playing when everyone had to switch seats. What is more annoying is that they can't open individual carriages, so after I got kicked off, everyone was visibly annoyed with them have to open all of the restraints on the ride every time they had move 1 person because the restraint would not clear (I counted 4 times after I got off, so that makes at least 7 total).

GoYanks34 said:

We headed back up front and went on Skyrush once more. It was around 7:45 pm and I was tired. I got on a middle seat row 2. That was actually the worst of all the rides. That heat and humidity had sucked the life out of me by that point so I think I was too tired and didn’t have the strength to ride it properly. The restraints killed me again and ratcheted down so tight I was in pain – I wanted the ride to be over once again. After that I said my goodbyes and left. I had a long ride home and my ankle had just about had it. Everyone else can fill in what happened after I left.

Guess this is where I take over. Lee, Jon, and Ken took 1 more ride (actually, Lee took 2 as the last one to leave.) We rode Skyrush until the lines started getting bad from the water park letting out (at one point, we did have to wait in the 1st queue railing.) I headed up to Great Bear, after a 15 minute wait, I realized that the park was actually somewhat crowded now. I decided to hang out in the arcade see how far I could get in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (it was still around 85 degrees at 9:00 and I had had enough stairs and hills for the moment.) I went back down and got 2 more rides on Skyrush before deciding that I had my fill and decided to end the night on Lightning Racer, for Mike as that is his favorite way to close out the park. No wait, but it was a long, hot walk across the park for it. Of course, Thunder won.

GoYanks34 said:

When I got to my car there was a missed call from Mike on my phone – I tried calling him back but he didn’t answer. He left a message and sounded fine – it was good to hear him sounding “normal” (notice the quotation marks – LOL!) and I felt relieved. Judy had to suddenly leave due to another family issue so Mike stayed the night. I spoke to him the next day and I’m happy to report everyone is fine, thank God. Mike can fill you in on the details.

It was an eventful trip to say the least. I had a really good time and we got to ride everything we wanted as many times as we wanted. It was terribly hot and humid but that also kept the crowds down. It was a great day for riding with the exception of Mike’s problem – we all felt horrible. Luckily he, Judy and Calvin went the night before for some rides so at least they got some in. It was great meeting Jon and Lee too. :-)

Hopefully next year we will have better weather!

We did have a great trip, that only would have been better if Mike, Judy, and Calvin didn't have to leave us. I'm just glad everyone, especially, Mike is okay. We are going to have to have one more trip (if not Hershey, somewhere) so we can our official 3rd park meet up of the year. Dorney, anyone? :)

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

Great TR, again, Jen!

Paul

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/30/13 9:59:50 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

Great TR, Jen. I've been wanting to post all week, but didn't want to rain on your "photo parade" (Nice shots, BTW)

Sorry it took so long but I've had to go to Franklin Lakes Wed and then to Newton and Chester Thurs and I was wiped. All this driving has sucked the life out of me and my ankle!

Jon and I were on the train after you guys, in the back row, of course. I was wondering why the ride ops were giving you "the business" before dispatching the ride. I have never seen ops stop someone for a handicap pass when they used the regular boarding entrance. Just another way that pass was more trouble than it was worth (since we never used it). Did you keep the wrist band on all day? None of the other ops seemed to have addressed you about it the rest of the time we were there.

Nope - no one else said anything. And when we were on Fahrenheit Calvin was in the row behind us and he had one on too but they didn't say anything to him either.

And those steps above the station are murderous during a marathon in 90 degree heat!

They were brutal - probably what started Mike's episode.

We've been over this before, but for those who have not heard it...the front of a boomerang is the most intense spot. The forward run has extra drag from having to traverse the station track before hitting the inversions, so they are not as intense on that run. On the return run, the inversions come 1st, so the full force of the drop is applied to them without the drag. If you are in the front on the return run (which becomes the back), you get the most intensity on the more forceful run. It's even more apparent on the Invertigo with your legs dangling (oh yeah, you would have to go to Dorney to ride that :) :) :)

Well first, I get NO "wee" in the front and you know I'm all about the "wee". and second I've ridden Invertigo at KI so I don't need Dorney! :-P

I believe I said "good bye and good riddance!"

It was still a eulogy - they're not all good you know! LOL!

Don't forget about my challenge that anyone who gets sick on Trailblazer after lunch should turn in their enthusiast card :)

I forgot that. I do remember now saying I felt sick after riding it because you said that, LOL!

Popping the harnesses on the brake run was a move of genius. Didn't expect Intamin to do that. As someone on the last notch of acceptable riding length, I wonder what is to keep the restraints from opening all the way? Is there some kind of regulator on how far the restraints are allowed to open, even if the seatbelt is unfastened?

Must be since I popped my seat belt before they popped the restraints open on the brake run. I suspect that's the highest it can go before you take the walk of shame, but only a guess.

Jen forgot to mention how cool it was in CW so all the chocolate would not melt. After all those jogs up Skyrush's empty stairs, the rest of us were pretty spent!

It was glorious! :-)

I thought Comet was running a bit more forceful on the return leg. The brakes on the station turnaround caught very little and the back car was jumping all around on the final bunny hills before the station. Best ride I have had on Comet in years!

Agreed!

Seems to me that Looper's trim brake has been increased since last year. Maybe the heat had the train running faster so it produced more braking force (that is how magnetic brakes work), but it really crawled through the final helix rather than sped through it this time. We only had one ride, so I can't say for certain unless someone can back me up as feeling the same.

I didn't notice that but it's Looper - not really a fast, intense coaster to begin with. To me it is what it is and I don't expect much from it.

Claw was a fiasco. They should have had music playing when everyone had to switch seats. What is more annoying is that they can't open individual carriages, so after I got kicked off, everyone was visibly annoyed with them have to open all of the restraints on the ride every time they had move 1 person because the restraint would not clear (I counted 4 times after I got off, so that makes at least 7 total).

That was a nightmare.....

Guess this is where I take over. Lee, Jon, and Ken took 1 more ride (actually, Lee took 2 as the last one to leave.) We rode Skyrush until the lines started getting bad from the water park letting out (at one point, we did have to wait in the 1st queue railing.) I headed up to Great Bear, after a 15 minute wait, I realized that the park was actually somewhat crowded now. I decided to hang out in the arcade see how far I could get in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (it was still around 85 degrees at 9:00 and I had had enough stairs and hills for the moment.) I went back down and got 2 more rides on Skyrush before deciding that I had my fill and decided to end the night on Lightning Racer, for Mike as that is his favorite way to close out the park. No wait, but it was a long, hot walk across the park for it. Of course, Thunder won.

I can't believe Thunder is finally winning! Of course it's no fun if it always wins but I'd rather Thunder always win than Lightning.

We did have a great trip, that only would have been better if Mike, Judy, and Calvin didn't have to leave us. I'm just glad everyone, especially, Mike is okay. We are going to have to have one more trip (if not Hershey, somewhere) so we can our official 3rd park meet up of the year. Dorney, anyone? :)

You people are never going to stop until I agree to go back to that hell hole are you?! If someone with a Cedar Fair pass can get me in for free with a coupon then I might consider it but be warned, I'll be bitching the entire time. I'm not giving them my money!!!!! :-P

Jen

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 6/30/13 10:18:38 AM
Sounds like yall had a good time! A Pennsylvania coaster trip may be in the works for me next year.

Jen, I'm glad you agree with me that the back seta rides on Vekoma boomerangs are the best. You get pulled up so much higher on the reverse lift, and the visuals of the train snaking through the course are awesome.

Couple of questions:
How bad is Wildcat? Is it just due to the PTCs?

Why did Skyrush hurt you? With the lap bars and Intamin design seems like it would be smooth. But I've never ridden it, so I have no idea.

- Pat-O

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/30/13 10:41:23 AM
LoneStar said:

Sounds like yall had a good time! A Pennsylvania coaster trip may be in the works for me next year.

Jen, I'm glad you agree with me that the back seta rides on Vekoma boomerangs are the best. You get pulled up so much higher on the reverse lift, and the visuals of the train snaking through the course are awesome.

Couple of questions:
How bad is Wildcat? Is it just due to the PTCs?

Why did Skyrush hurt you? With the lap bars and Intamin design seems like it would be smooth. But I've never ridden it, so I have no idea.

- Pat-O

That would be awesome if you could join us next year!

SkyRushes lap bars are still uncomfortable but they don't ratchet down as hard as they used to if you make specific adjustments. It's a pain in the ass (curl your legs under the seat, scoot your butt forward when they lock them and try to keep it forward - which is difficult on the air time hills - and hold onto the restraints to push them out preventing them from ratcheting down. The restraints lie over a very small portion of the middle of your upper thigh - which is a very sensitive area. I still believe that no coaster should require that much strength and energy to have a good ride on. Now that I'm learning the layout better I'm also able to ride it a bit better defensively and not get thrown around like a rag doll. The first few times you ride holding on is a must until you know the layout - that was my big mistake the first time I rode it when I hurt my back. This time I have no injuries or bruises to report from my 3 rides so that's a step in the right direction! The coaster itself is not rough - just intense/violent and there are a lot of airtime hills followed by crazy laterals (the laterals are what got me last year) so if you're not braced or able to ride defensively it can snap you in half! And they come up so fast there's no time to adjust until you know what's coming ahead of time so hold on!

Can't comment about Wild Cat since I refuse to ride it. ;-)

Jen

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/30/13 12:20:15 PM
I'll ride Wildcat, but only in the front seat. In fact last September we got a really good ride in the front. This spring we rode Wildcat in the 2nd row and was very rough. It really is a shame because Wildcat has a great layout and used to be very smooth in the late 90's.
Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 6/30/13 9:27:10 PM
Sorry I couldn't make it this year, I hope to meet up with you folks sometime in the near future!
Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/30/13 9:45:51 PM
hersheyworker said:

Sorry I couldn't make it this year, I hope to meet up with you folks sometime in the near future!

That would be awesome! :-)

Jen

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 6/30/13 11:18:32 PM
I think I'm going to have to partake in the fun next year as well.

Great trip report!

Eric

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 7/1/13 1:48:23 AM
Excellent TR Jen. Looks like you and the URC gang had a blast. I can't imagine what the temp in the Kissing Tower was; Maybe similar to the current temp out in Death Valley.
Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by ktujon ktujon Profile at 7/1/13 4:12:02 AM
Great meeting you all! hope you get better Mike!
Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/1/13 5:33:08 AM
hersheyworker said:

Maybe that "near future" will be later this year..when it's about 40 degrees cooler!

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 7/1/13 11:08:03 AM
What an awesome thread to read! Enjoyed the initial TR, read Mikes experience (glad you're ok my fellow diabetic!) and enjoyed the comments. I have to agree, Hershey's shows are f*cking ANNOYING. Besides that, I love that park.

Sucks I didn't make it out there on the trip. I REALLY hope I can get together with everyone next time, wherever it is the group goes. I personally need to get to Hershey this year, I absolutely enjoy that park.

Also, to Mike, you know as well as I do, sometimes diabetes, or just whatever, happens. No need to feel bad, you're friends are your friends and have no problem staying with you while you recover. You didn't do anything wrong. All you can do is keep taking care of yourself.

Glad everyone had a great time!

Oh, that roller soaker eulogy picture made me LOL, haha. That thing was pretty lame though, and the line was RIDICULOUSLY horrible to wait in. Glad it's gone!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 7/1/13 9:06:56 PM
Jen, great TR! I'm glad you got a pic of me in my favorite seat on my 3rd favorite coaster of all time (no, not Sidewinder lol!).

Yes, it was quite hot that day, and even though the lines for most of the rides were short, some of those areas could still badly use some shade.

I got an on-ride photo of myself (and everyone but Jen) on Skyrush, so I'll post that here:

I mastered riding Skyrush early on (I had been to the ACE event the first week of June, and had gotten three rides on it then, which were far from enough) and got at least 9 rides on it during this 2nd trip. I didn't attempt a wing seat this time, as I had done so at the ACE event (left front), as it kind of bothered my back to sit there. And I also wanted to get in as many rides as I could and didn't want to spoil that with a backache.

But for those who haven't ridden it, Skyrush will take a lot out of you, even if you only ride the center seats. When I got up the next day I felt really sore all over, especially my upper body. I wish I could re-start my gym membership, as that would sure help acclimate me to my 3rd favorite coaster. I never found it to be painful (well, the vibration in the wing seat on my back didn't feel good at all, but that was the very end of a long, long day and I was really tired by then, so I might try another wing seat in the future if I feel up to it), just uncomfortable with regards to the restraints. However, when I stop and think about it, I really appreciate Intamin's attempt to avoid a ride (Maverick comes to mind!) that would beat my head in with OTSRs. A restraint like on a B&M hyper would be ideal, but then again, with the *rip you out of your seat* airtime that you get on Skyrush, you really do need something tight to pin you in your seat. I also learned to slouch in the seat (got that from someone at the ACE event) and curl my legs under the seat to make the most of the ride.

The only thing that sucked about riding Skyrush was that there were a couple of ride ops who saw the need to staple me in my seat. For a coaster that does that to you on its own, this was totally un-necessary.

That said, IMO Skyrush is absolutely incredible - I sort of feel the same way about this coaster that Jen feels about KK.

All in all, I had a great time (despite the heat) was glad to meet everyone (and sorry I missed the casualties of the heat) and was very happy I got several rides on my all-time #3.

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/1/13 9:52:44 PM
^
If you wouldn't mind, could you identify the four of you in that photo, left to right?
URC profile names with real names would be nice.
Mike B.
Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 7/1/13 10:02:51 PM
mugen828 said:
I personally need to get to Hershey this year, I absolutely enjoy that park.

Hey, I'd go to HP with you if you want someone to go with, since I don't think I'll be able go until next year without some more rides on Skyrush. But I'd rather go once the weather cools off a bit.

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/1/13 10:47:22 PM
MABrider said:

^
If you wouldn't mind, could you identify the four of you in that photo, left to right?

L-R:

ktujon (Jon)
alpengeistno3 (Paul H.)
Schrecken (Lee)
frontrow (Ken G.)

No beastmaster :(

Sorry to jump in, Lee.

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by alpengeistno3 at 7/2/13 12:40:29 AM
beastmaster said:

MABrider said:

^

L-R:

ktujon (Jon)
alpengeistno3 (Paul H.)
Schrecken (Lee)
frontrow (Ken G.)

Sorry to jump in, Lee.

Well, seeing how Skyrush is only 4 across, I am glad you are not in this picture, Mike :)

Paul

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/2/13 9:46:39 AM
beastmaster said:

MABrider said:

^

L-R:

ktujon (Jon)
alpengeistno3 (Paul H.)
Schrecken (Lee)
frontrow (Ken G.)

Sorry to jump in, Lee.

Thanks!
Since they are all active posters here, I just wanted "names to faces" in my mind.

As for you Mike, I have a mental pic in my mind from long ago posts/photos, and I believe we met once a few years back for a very brief howdy. Can't recall where that was, tho.

Mike B.
Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/2/13 9:50:58 AM
Oh, now that I go back to Jen's photos, I see she did a good job of ID'ing everyone in the photo with the Hershey bar character.

Making my prior and subsequent posts extraneous.
:-(

Mike B.
Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/2/13 10:05:34 AM
MABrider said:

beastmaster said:

MABrider said:

^

L-R:

ktujon (Jon)
alpengeistno3 (Paul H.)
Schrecken (Lee)
frontrow (Ken G.)

Sorry to jump in, Lee.

Thanks!
Since they are all active posters here, I just wanted "names to faces" in my mind.

As for you Mike, I have a mental pic in my mind from long ago posts/photos, and I believe we met once a few years back for a very brief howdy. Can't recall where that was, tho.

Yes, Mike, we met and chatted for a bit at my first PPP at Knoebels, probably woulda been about 7-8 years ago.

Other Mike

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/2/13 10:08:50 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

I think I'm going to have to partake in the fun next year as well.

Great trip report!

Eric

YAY! It's only right that the creator of the forum be on a URC forum trip! :-)

The people that came this year were a really great group and we all got along wonderfully. You'd have a blast!

Jen

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/2/13 10:11:08 PM
Overbanked said:

Excellent TR Jen. Looks like you and the URC gang had a blast. I can't imagine what the temp in the Kissing Tower was; Maybe similar to the current temp out in Death Valley.

LOL - wasn't that bad but were were hoping from a reprieve from the heat/humidity and it was not to be. It was still better than being outside but not nearly as cool as in previous years.

Jen

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/2/13 10:21:52 PM
Schrecken said:

Jen, great TR! I'm glad you got a pic of me in my favorite seat on my 3rd favorite coaster of all time (no, not Sidewinder lol!).

Glad you liked it!

I got an on-ride photo of myself (and everyone but Jen) on Skyrush, so I'll post that here:

Not sure I will ever ride the back on that again. I need to master the middle first and one great ride does not make a master!

However, when I stop and think about it, I really appreciate Intamin's attempt to avoid a ride (Maverick comes to mind!) that would beat my head in with OTSRs. A restraint like on a B&M hyper would be ideal, but then again, with the *rip you out of your seat* airtime that you get on Skyrush, you really do need something tight to pin you in your seat. I also learned to slouch in the seat (got that from someone at the ACE event) and curl my legs under the seat to make the most of the ride.

There are very similar restraints on Manta in Sea World San Diego but the pressure is on your upper thigh/hip area - where your legs bend at the hip. Now I understand that there is NO comparison between the two in terms of intensity but if the pressure points on the restraints were moved up to the lap area (where your hips start - or end depending on your perspective) they would be 100% better and still be more than effective.

That said, IMO Skyrush is absolutely incredible - I sort of feel the same way about this coaster that Jen feels about KK.

It's so sad that you are in love but in an abusive relationship, LOL!! ;-)

All in all, I had a great time (despite the heat) was glad to meet everyone (and sorry I missed the casualties of the heat) and was very happy I got several rides on my all-time #3.

I had a great time too and it was great meeting you as well!

Jen

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/2/13 10:23:02 PM
ktujon said:

Great meeting you all! hope you get better Mike!

Same here! We all definitely have to get together again! :-)

Jen

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/2/13 10:30:14 PM
mugen828 said:

What an awesome thread to read! Enjoyed the initial TR, read Mikes experience (glad you're ok my fellow diabetic!) and enjoyed the comments. I have to agree, Hershey's shows are f*cking ANNOYING. Besides that, I love that park.

Sucks I didn't make it out there on the trip. I REALLY hope I can get together with everyone next time, wherever it is the group goes. I personally need to get to Hershey this year, I absolutely enjoy that park.

Also, to Mike, you know as well as I do, sometimes diabetes, or just whatever, happens. No need to feel bad, you're friends are your friends and have no problem staying with you while you recover. You didn't do anything wrong. All you can do is keep taking care of yourself.

Glad everyone had a great time!

Oh, that roller soaker eulogy picture made me LOL, haha. That thing was pretty lame though, and the line was RIDICULOUSLY horrible to wait in. Glad it's gone!

I wish you could have made it too - you would have had so much fun. Perhaps we should pick a Great Adventure (or another east coast park within driving distance for everyone) URC day!

What you wrote pretty much summed up Paul's eulogy - he started out half serious (as a joke) but them went into "bye-bye" mode, LOL! I never even rode it. The line was always so long and I really had no interest in it. I'm not one to ride anything for the sake of a credit. ;-)

Jen

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 7/6/13 11:05:12 AM
Schrecken said:

Hey, I'd go to HP with you if you want someone to go with, since I don't think I'll be able go until next year without some more rides on Skyrush. But I'd rather go once the weather cools off a bit.

Will have to keep you in mind! I will try and see what dates are good. I am off Thursdays and Fridays, so it'd be one of those days. Even a visit to SFGAdv with some forum people would be cool :)

I wish you could have made it too - you would have had so much fun. Perhaps we should pick a Great Adventure (or another east coast park within driving distance for everyone) URC day!

What you wrote pretty much summed up Paul's eulogy - he started out half serious (as a joke) but them went into "bye-bye" mode, LOL! I never even rode it. The line was always so long and I really had no interest in it. I'm not one to ride anything for the sake of a credit. ;-)

Jen

@Jen, most certainly!! I have never been to Knoblels. Missed Dorney and Hershey last year. Never been to SFA. I am always down for SFGAdv!!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 7/6/13 4:54:58 PM
mugen828 said:

Schrecken said:

Will have to keep you in mind! I will try and see what dates are good. I am off Thursdays and Fridays, so it'd be one of those days. Even a visit to SFGAdv with some forum people would be cool :)

Jen

@Jen, most certainly!! I have never been to Knoblels. Missed Dorney and Hershey last year. Never been to SFA. I am always down for SFGAdv!!
Sounds good - if you want to contact me off the board there are a couple of ways you can message me (other than e-mail, as I don't want to post my address here for any length of time). If you are a member of Ebay my username there is the same as it is here (I check that every day) or you can try contacting me on Facebook (though I only check my messages every few days or so) - I'm Lee Riffee on Facebook.
As for days, I'm self employed and therefore I can go pretty much anytime or day.

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by alpengeistno3 at 7/6/13 8:30:09 PM
Another Gradv trip would be a great idea. Jen, you guys should start efforting that now so Mike can get off. I'll be free in August, but only until we go back to school, ON AUGUST FREAKIN' 12th :(

Paul

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/6/13 9:27:52 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Another Gradv trip would be a great idea. Jen, you guys should start efforting that now so Mike can get off. I'll be free in August, but only until we go back to school, ON AUGUST FREAKIN' 12th :(

Paul

I probably won't be able to get any time off in August other than what I already have, and a chunk of that is earmarked for a Cedar Point/Waldameer/Rock Hall jaunt. But I'm available on the 9th (Friday)

Mike

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/6/13 11:17:49 PM
If you guys want to pick a date for Gadv in July I'm good to go - I might have to go back to work (I know - the horror!) in August so I can't set anything in stone now until I know my schedule. I'll know by the 15th if I have the job or not and then we can plan from there (is it really bad that a part of me is hoping I don't get it so I can have the rest of the summer to play?). I know I get a day off during the week and 2 if I work that Sat - just don't know which days yet.

I'm planning on Knoebels on either the 19th or 26th of July (probably the 26th). I'll be going with my aunt and 2 of her friends who are awesome if anyone wants to meet up! I'll post the actual date as soon as I know for sure. The only other days I can't do in July are the 13th (sat) - I have a wedding to go to that day and the 15th (Mon)(drs appt to find out why my foot is still blowing up 8 months after this stupid surgery!!!).

Jen

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by alpengeistno3 at 7/7/13 1:49:44 AM
GoYanks34 said:

If you guys want to pick a date for Gadv in July I'm good to go - I might have to go back to work (I know - the horror!) in August so I can't set anything in stone now until I know my schedule. I'll know by the 15th if I have the job or not and then we can plan from there (is it really bad that a part of me is hoping I don't get it so I can have the rest of the summer to play?). I know I get a day off during the week and 2 if I work that Sat - just don't know which days yet.

I'm planning on Knoebels on either the 19th or 26th of July (probably the 26th). I'll be going with my aunt and 2 of her friends who are awesome if anyone wants to meet up! I'll post the actual date as soon as I know for sure. The only other days I can't do in July are the 13th (sat) - I have a wedding to go to that day and the 15th (Mon)(drs appt to find out why my foot is still blowing up 8 months after this stupid surgery!!!).

Jen

If we can do the last week in July, I can be in, maybe (my boss wants to do a trip to Cedar Point, but hasn't committed to a date yet). Wednesdays is band practice, so Monday, Tuesday or Thursday would work (Saturday Aug 3 is Fan Day down in Richmond, so that Friday would not be good for the 3 1/2 hr drive home.)

Paul

Re: Hershey URC photo trip report June 24th 2013 - LONG! by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 7/15/13 11:47:14 AM
Hello! Great trip report. I am new here, so i'd love to post something useful as my first post. By the way i'm 36, coaster enthusiast and just got back from Hershey Park with my 11 yr old daughter (who by default, is now a coaster freak too!!) Here's my thoughts on Hershey park's coasters...

The Park - Beautiful park and friendly staff - up there with my home park BGW as far as a pleasant park. We only rode everything once as we drove 5:30 hours (day trip) and the lines were fairly long (on a thursday)

Skyrush - by the time our fast pass came up for this, it was drizzling so the ride was closed!! Disappointing as it looked like a great ride.

Fahrenheit - We really enjoyed this. The over vertical first drop was great. Even the lift hill was a fun experience, and the ride was longer than in appeared. The inversions were fun and we thought it was quite smooth. I especially enjoyed the double barrel roll (or corkscrew - 2 in a row whatever they were!) 9/10

Storm Runner - nice! I have not ridden TTD or KK but this was intense! The take off was more intense than i expected. Enjoyed the second part of the ride with the inversions. Would have liked to have ridden again to really take it all in. 8/10

Lightning Racer - Very nice surprise on this. Compared to Rebel Yell at KD this was great!! The way the two tracks intertwine was a very nice touch, and put Rebel Yell to shame. The interaction with the racing train made this ride very fun. Not too rough either for a woodie. 8/10

Great Bear - After riding Alpengiest a million times and Nemesis at AT, this was nothing special. I didn't expect much really. It's a smooth BM inverted coaster (very loud, no sand in this i assume) but if you've ridden others, nothing special - 6/10

Wildcat - Too rough for us. I love the grizzly at KD but this one was a bit much for me. Maybe i need to ride again. I was a bit "ridden out" when we rode it. 5/10 - tentatively

Sidewinder - Surprisingly fun. The trains are a step up from the arrow trains im used to on these older steel coasters. Wouldn't ride twice in a row, but going backwards was fun and I was genuinely scared by this coaster!! 7/10

Sooper Dooper Looper - A bit of a let down. It was smooth, and the loop was fun, but after that it's more aof a stoll around the track. We rode this twice since we wsere waiting for Skyrush to open. It was nice to get on a Schwarzkopf coaster that was more than a single loop, but i was hoping for a bit more fun 6/10

Trailblazer - we missed it! forgot it even existed!! Was curious about this, looked kinda unique!

Comet - Wow! nice surprise - we rode this twice. We accidentally got in ride as our first ride of the day. when we realized we were in the Comet line we groaned a bit. Then we got on the ride. The coaster went out and turned around after two hills. "That's it??" i thought...NOPE!! made a left into a whole other section!! Tons of bunny hop hills and airtime! Both me and my daughter loved this coaster! 9/10

Claw - My lunch was threatening to come up on this - fun, but i'm getting old!

Overall we had a great time! I came away thinking the park needs one massive signature ride. Maybe skyrush is it but we couldn't ride due to rain. Still, lots of unique rides and a very pleasant park! Worth the 5-6 hr drive for us!

EDIT - BTW, My Fiancee and I are heading to Cedar Point for the first time this week!! We've already purchased Fast Lane passes - Any tips?

* This post was modified at 7/15/13 11:54:01 AM *