Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Open-Bench (Eli) Ferris Wheel Question

Open-Bench (Eli) Ferris Wheel Question

Jumbo-Jet Jumbo-Jet Profile

Posted:
6/29/13 at
3:05:18 AM

I've noticed that a lot of those "old school" open-bench (Eli) style Ferris wheels have these screens that surround the back and sides of the seats. Does anyone know what the purpose of those is? Some Ferris wheels have them and some don't. I never saw those on Ferris wheels when I was a kid, but started seeing them around the late 1970's/early 1980's. Thanks.

User Submitted Picture
Re: Open-Bench (Eli) Ferris Wheel Question by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 6/29/13 3:26:16 AM
I'm not sure. Although if I had to take a guess at it, I'm thinking that they're probably safety guards.
Re: Open-Bench (Eli) Ferris Wheel Question by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/29/13 3:34:46 PM
Jumbo-Jet said:

I've noticed that a lot of those "old school" open-bench (Eli) style Ferris wheels have these screens that surround the back and sides of the seats. Does anyone know what the purpose of those is? Some Ferris wheels have them and some don't. I never saw those on Ferris wheels when I was a kid, but started seeing them around the late 1970's/early 1980's. Thanks.

Quite common for people to drape their arm on the side. But if you do this and your arm falls over. It could be cut off as you pass the circle both forward and backwards on each circut.

Quite honestly, The rides perfectly safe if everyone sits and behaves. Otherwise, One of the most dangerous rides ever made. The tubs flip easy if someone stands or rocks. DON'T DO IT!.

Chuck, operated Strickers in '83. They still have it but Its just plain scary.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Open-Bench (Eli) Ferris Wheel Question by MABrider MABrider Profile at 6/29/13 7:31:55 PM
Yeah, it's a safety thing re keeping arms in, not to mention the head, but they also serve to ruin the view for me, which frosts my cookies big time!

I have my memories of when those things didn't exist, I could look left, right and behind me as the wheel went round and round, changing the view almost constantly.

And ever since they became the standard (and it has been many years, as mentioned) I personally have not seen a wheel of that type without those damn things.

Good topic.

* This post was modified at 6/29/13 7:33:42 PM *

Mike B.